All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

SCAM ALERT: Custom intake manifolds going into production

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

whats the status of this?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Well it's about time to make a thread for this. Production of the first one is starting November 21 and I need to go ahead and buy materials. This thread is to gauge interest so that I can get an idea of how much to buy and to get the word out that these are going into production.

Although this intake manifold design WILL bling in your engine bay (not like my ugly original), the design is 100% focused on making power. There will be no corners cut like the Kinetix and an actual gain in elbow and plenum size over the SFR option. In addition, you'll have custom options as each one will be hand made by me.

Design:

-The design is a side feed plenum for more volume and less bends than the traditional center feed design for this vehicle. Forgive me showing you an image made in paint, but this is a sketch of the design. Pictures of construction, materials, and finished product will be provided when the first prototype is built.

-Each runner will have a velocity stack that protrudes into the plenum for optimal air velocity and flow.

-Tapered design and lack of sharp edges will promote optimal flow and velocity into each cylinder.

-There will be almost no detectable elbow transition into the plenum, reducing turbulence and keeping velocity up.

-The elbow will be 3.25"ID/3.5"OD (82.5MM ID). This will go perfectly with a LRMAF (82MM ID) and 3.5" intake piping.

-The entire intake manifold will be made out of quality tig welded aluminum with 1/2" thick flanges and 1/8" thick plenum for optimal strength and resistance to warping.

-I will not etch my name or any company name onto your intake manifold. I like the clean look and know that most of you do also.

Custom features:

1. Choose your TB. I will be able to make TB plates for any throttle body that you can give me a pattern for. For those running a stock 3.5 DBW 70MM TB, this means a direct bolton change to a 2k9 75MM TB becomes possible! Those of you with swapped 3.5s running a cable TB can use just about whatever you want... A 90MM TB like the LS2 has been offered as a possibility.

2. Choose your Vacuum fitting needs. The default option will include PCV, brake booster, and EVAP, but if you have more or less needs then I can weld them on and make them look professional before sending it out to you.

3. Runner length. The default runner length will be almost identical to stock in order to give the best possible midrange and topend power band without suffering losses. This will be optimal for almost any bolton+tuned car with a stock bottom end. However, I will be able to make them shorter for those of you who have cams and supporting mods to make power at 7500+ RPMs or even longer for those of you that want an increase in lowend/midrange power.

4. Pretty stuff. Polishing, etching, coating, or other custom appearance modifications will be possible. The stock version will be lightly polished with good looking welds and very sharp looking, but for those of you who want a mirror finish, some kind of etching or branding put on it... Just ask and we can work it out.

Testing:

-Initial testing of this manifold will be done by none other than Aaron of NWP on his VQ35DE swapped 3rd gen.

Pricing:

-I will be asking $1050+shipping for the base design. This includes a finished plenum with your choice of TB flange, 3 vacuum fittings, and stock length runners. Custom options could run more or less depending on your choices.

-A down payment (probably around 40%) will be required before I start work on your specific manifold with full payment required before shipping. Backing out after leaving a down payment and construction has begun will carry a penalty on the down payment, I have not yet determined specifics on this.

-If it includes custom options, payment in full before construction will be required in order to avoid any difficulties as I will not be able to sell your custom design to another person if you back out. In this situation, we will agree on a projected timeline and I will keep you updated on progress as it is built.

I currently have 2 people ready to give down payments and get the ball rolling. PM me if you are interested in joining the list!
IT says SCAM ALERT
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Banned

FWIW A local shop quoted me 1k to make one just like this. Log style, internal velocity stacks, 4'' to ls2 flange with adapter to 2k9 tb, etc. If I can find a shop locally so can anyone else.

Or go buy the hideous and weird SFR IM for $1200.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
Or go buy the hideous and weird SFR IM for $1200.
That "hideous and wierd" SFR manifold made a pretty significant difference in my Maxima from the stock. 275WHP with a 2k9 TB on my maxima.....looks pretty good under my hood.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
That "hideous and wierd" SFR manifold made a pretty significant difference in my Maxima from the stock. 275WHP with a 2k9 TB on my maxima.....looks pretty good under my hood.

Your gains are with a Haltech + SFR IM + and custom intake, tuned length, no MAF + 2k9 tb, velocity stack. Far from just an SFR IM with AFC corrections which is what we should be comparing it to.

Even though your shop messed up your dual widebands, I am sure they used a sniffer in your exhaust and the tune is pretty close to what you would have gotten with the dual widebands working correctly. Given you are going FI the stock gutted intake mani would have been fine. $1200 could be spent much better elsewhere on a turbo build. Hell that is 1/2 of the cost of parts for an FI engine build.

Reasons why the SFR IM is weird:
It has a huge bend in the neck in the back. Not the best for airflow. This is why a log style IM is better and proven the way to go for NA IM design.

Bottom runners are 1/2 the length of the top runners.

No internal Velocity stacks. Why build a custom IM and not have internal VS is beyond me.

Also look how close the runners are to the walls? It looks WAY too close the the side wall of the IM if what I remember from learning about IM design is true. It should have an inch or two of plenum past it to keep the air velocity up.

Found it: http://horsepowercalculators.net/int...anifold-design
"You never want your plenum to end abruptly at the end of the last runner.(or in the SFR case all of them) If there’s a wall right there, air velocity at the wall will be near 0, your runner will not be using it’s whole diameter to suck in air as near the wall there will be almost no air flow… so they usually use a rounded end cap and/or they space an inch or two off the end of the plenum to move the wall away from the runner."

Is it better than stock? Yes. But it still is a strange design that goes against everything I have ever read about IM design.

For $1200 cams have better gains on our engines and it is proven.

You know SFR are kind of hacks. You had problems with the engine cover they sent you and have to have your shop hack it up to fit. Have you seen the turbo kit? Yeah it's great there is a bolt on kit but look at the pipes! For their price you can have a shop custom fab you up a kit for the same or less.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Wow I know you're angry over what happened to you with the custom IM but you're comments regarding the SFR IM and ranmas's car have too many holes to comment on.

* not to say that some of your points aren't valid

Last edited by DrewSER; 06-14-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: *
Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrewSER
Wow I know you're angry over what happened to you with the custom IM but you're comments regarding the SFR IM and ranmas's car have too many holes to comment on.

* not to say that some of your points aren't valid
comment away, might as well keep the thread alive.

only 'holes' i can think you would comment on is the length of the runners and the fact the stock IM has a similar bend in the neck.

I do value your opinion man. Edumacate me!

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-14-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM

Your gains are with a Haltech + SFR IM + and custom intake, tuned length, no MAF + 2k9 tb, velocity stack. Far from just an SFR IM with AFC corrections which is what we should be comparing it to.

Even though your shop messed up your dual widebands, I am sure they used a sniffer in your exhaust and the tune is pretty close to what you would have gotten with the dual widebands working correctly. Given you are going FI the stock gutted intake mani would have been fine. $1200 could be spent much better elsewhere on a turbo build. Hell that is 1/2 of the cost of parts for an FI engine build.

Reasons why the SFR IM is weird:
It has a huge bend in the neck in the back. Not the best for airflow. This is why a log style IM is better and proven the way to go for NA IM design.

Bottom runners are 1/2 the length of the top runners.

No internal Velocity stacks. Why build a custom IM and not have internal VS is beyond me.

Also look how close the runners are to the walls? It looks WAY too close the the side wall of the IM if what I remember from learning about IM design is true. It should have an inch or two of plenum past it to keep the air velocity up.

Found it: http://horsepowercalculators.net/int...anifold-design
"You never want your plenum to end abruptly at the end of the last runner.(or in the SFR case all of them) If there’s a wall right there, air velocity at the wall will be near 0, your runner will not be using it’s whole diameter to suck in air as near the wall there will be almost no air flow… so they usually use a rounded end cap and/or they space an inch or two off the end of the plenum to move the wall away from the runner."

Is it better than stock? Yes. But it still is a strange design that goes against everything I have ever read about IM design.

For $1200 cams have better gains on our engines and it is proven.

$1200 for a custom IM that has no VS and is so weird I just can't fathom how people spend their money on it. Again I have a shop that will build a proper log style with all the bells and whistles for $1000.

You know SFR are kind of hacks. You had problems with the engine cover they sent you and have to have your shop hack it up to fit. Have you seen the turbo kit? Yeah it's great there is a bolt on kit but look at the pipes! Also for their price you can have a shop fab you up a kit for the same or less.
Cant install cams for $1200. Thats the cost of the cam. Not counting removing the engine to install cams. cost even more (unless you do it yourself).

Its "wierd" to you, but it works. Much better than the stock one.

There are internal velocity stacks in the SFR IM. (At least thats what Tim told me)

And NO, the shop did not use a sniffer (it doesnt work). And uncalibrated widebands make a big difference...Im thinking I could have gotten maybe 10 more hp if everything was setup right.

I can't believe Im defending those BUMBS....just want to get the facts out though. They are WACK!! I had a terrible experience with them...but the manifold is solid! their turbo kit SUCKS azz....and its WAY WAY overpriced and comes with that split second GARBAGE box tune!! The shop I'm getting my turbo charging me $2500 for my turbo build!! YES, their engine cover SUCKS AZZ.....I had to cut it up and modify it.

Maybe a log style would be better...I would be in to see some results. BUT I don't think the IM was a waste of money at all. It changed the way the car drives up top DRAMATICALLY!

See...now you bringing up old feelings...making me pissed at them ALL over again!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

Cant install cams for $1200. Thats the cost of the cam. Not counting removing the engine to install cams. cost even more (unless you do it yourself).

Its "wierd" to you, but it works. Much better than the stock one.

There are internal velocity stacks in the SFR IM. (At least thats what Tim told me)

And NO, the shop did not use a sniffer (it doesnt work). And uncalibrated widebands make a big difference...Im thinking I could have gotten maybe 10 more hp if everything was setup right.

I can't believe Im defending those BUMBS....just want to get the facts out though. They are WACK!! I had a terrible experience with them...but the manifold is solid! their turbo kit SUCKS azz....and its WAY WAY overpriced and comes with that split second GARBAGE box tune!! The shop I'm getting my turbo charging me $2500 for my turbo build!! YES, their engine cover SUCKS AZZ.....I had to cut it up and modify it.

Maybe a log style would be better...I would be in to see some results. BUT I don't think the IM was a waste of money at all. It changed the way the car drives up top DRAMATICALLY!

See...now you bringing up old feelings...making me pissed at them ALL over again!!!!
Sorry to bring up old feelings!

How can one of these be on each runner? Look how close the wall is to the runner, Unless he hacked up the 1/2 the VS...

90 degree bend, not good for air velocity. It would have been easier for him to make it side feed log style imo:

I love how every image of the SFR IM is different. Runners here or there, wall super close or far away, etc.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM

I'd be really interested in seeing a log design. I hope someone comes out with a better one and alot of Maxima owners get great gains from it! Whatever helps the community.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Banned

I'd be really interested in seeing a log design. I hope someone comes out with a better one and alot of Maxima owners get great gains from it! Whatever helps the community.
like this:
Name:  IMG_1233.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  165.2 KB

90 degree bend(or more) is a no no but who cares it's FI.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

[IMGhttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6987343409_d1e8028932_c.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://farm7.staticflickr.com/6059/6878716522_8d4b5be494_c.jpg[/IMG]
Keep in mind though, anything is better than stock, IMO.

I wonder how that SFR would fare against the good 'ol SSIM which has done extremely well for some on here.

I'll be dynoing the SSSIM next week, hopefully, and depending on the gains vs my SSIM, this 'original design' may be up FS by me.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-14-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Decisions decisions

right now im thinking about just porting the mother living thing outta my stock manifold with a 4" intake and a 4" maf and call it a day

anyone seen that altima with stock TB and a 4" maf and 4" intake with just cams making 300+whp lol
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taz394
Decisions decisions

right now im thinking about just porting the mother living thing outta my stock manifold with a 4" intake and a 4" maf and call it a day

anyone seen that altima with stock TB and a 4" maf and 4" intake with just cams making 300+whp lol
These engines really shine with monster cams. None of that 264/264 stuff.

That it the route I would go myself, SSIM and Cams. After that throw on a custom IM for another 20-25whp

You should get one of these made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXzK_WSxpuY

It's only like 2300. Then again ITBs are 3k and have crazy gains.

Life above 5700 looks like fun, actually it looks like if they coudl get the tune better there would be great gains from 4k up:

I guarantee you can find a shop to make you a great custom IM for 1kish, just call around.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-14-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:27 PM

i got JWT C2 cams ... so they aren't too aggressive just right ... i don't have any crazy all motor goals anyway lol but still debating

Plus im getting Uprev (2004 max ftw) so we'll see how that goes with my new motor and bolt on setup
Old 06-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

i got JWT C2 cams ... so they aren't too aggressive just right ... i don't have any crazy all motor goals anyway lol but still debating

Plus im getting Uprev (2004 max ftw) so we'll see how that goes with my new motor and bolt on setup
Lucky bastard! I wish the 02-3 guys could use uprev.

I am happy to post plenty of dynos to try and convince you to run a more aggressive cam! Seriously c8/c9s are the way to go or so a few well known companies say.

But if you already have them in and/or aren't doing the labor yourself I don't blame you for not switching.

JWT C9 (VQ35DE)
13.11 mm Peak Lift
248 deg. Dur. at 0.050" lift
283.5 deg. Adv. Dur.
18.75 deg. Before TDC Intake Opens
29.75 deg. After TDC Exhaust Closes
48.5 deg. Adv. Overlap
13 deg. Overlap at 0.050" lift

350 with long tubes, Jim Wolf Technology GA cams, which have 300 degrees of duration, versus the stock cams which have only 238 degrees of duration:

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-15-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM

dang lol ... stock bottom end ?
Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

dang lol ... stock bottom end ?
At that point yes. From what I've read a built bottom end it only needed if you are going to play around in the 8k land on the reg.

7200-7500 can be done with springs and rev up pump.

Later they built it with high compression but didn't gain any hp just responsiveness.

decent reads:
http://www.rhdriven.com/showthread.p...de-Walkthrough...
http://www.sg-motorsport.com/?p=1110

"Spark plugs, ignition systems, grounding kits, etc. are all bull****. Don't waste your time."
"I would suggest the C8s for pretty much any application other than a boring street car."

SG proved these engines need monster cams and that a custom IM are key. They gained 25whp by removing the top 1/2 of their IM. That is how restrictive the IM is and that IM is a much better designed than ours. With ours I would expect to gain 30+whp. I mean it's really nothing everyone didn't already know. Let is breath and exhaust as well as possible and you will get the most HP out of it.

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

At that point yes. From what I've read a built bottom end it only needed if you are going to play around in the 8k land on the reg.

Might as well do rod bolts once past 7200.

Originally Posted by taz
Decisions decisions

Link?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Good point. Inexpensive and smart.

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...st-3-days.aspx <--another decent read. I linked to page 3 for obvious reasons.

Taz are you doing any of the cooling mods to your block? Like the pathfinder cooling mod for instance:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=3011
http://vq35.com/blog/2010/07/go-with...ooling-system/

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 06-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Later they built it with high compression but didn't gain any hp just responsiveness.

decent reads:
http://www.rhdriven.com/showthread.p...de-Walkthrough...
http://www.sg-motorsport.com/?p=1110

"Spark plugs, ignition systems, grounding kits, etc. are all bull****. Don't waste your time."
"I would suggest the C8s for pretty much any application other than a boring street car."

SG proved these engines need monster cams and that a custom IM are key. They gained 25whp by removing the top 1/2 of their IM. That is how restrictive the IM is and that IM is a much better designed than ours. With ours I would expect to gain 30+whp. I mean it's really nothing everyone didn't already know. Let is breath and exhaust as well as possible and you will get the most HP out of it.
Dang ... good read

i ported my lower intake manifold ... just as good as Revup or no good ?

Link?
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/rac...yesterday.html

even his buddy JUST added 4" MAF and intake and jumped from 250 to 275ish with minor bolt ons ... MIND = BLOWN
Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Dang ... good read

i ported my lower intake manifold ... just as good as Revup or no good ?

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/rac...yesterday.html

even his buddy JUST added 4" MAF and intake and jumped from 250 to 275ish with minor bolt ons ... MIND = BLOWN

3.5 or 4" intake is where the power is at.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...DYNO/35vs4.jpg

My car 3.5 vs 4 pretty crazy gains form just intake pipe.

wonder what a 3" compared to 4" would be? probably 20hp or so.

lol @ rwd guys running small intakes
Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
dot dot dot ...

Imagine stock to 4" ... 2.75 - 4".

The way I'm tuning now, I need to add in some 440's or something.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Imagine stock to 4" ... 2.75 - 4".

The way I'm tuning now, I need to add in some 440's or something.
2.75 is stock?

soo get a Haltech!

280whp is around the limit of stock injectors anyway (being SAFE)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Banned

I said forever 4'' and everyone told me it was a bad idea. That the air would slow down, bottle neck, blah blah blah. I'm really happy you proved me right Surra. You should sell a 4'' intake man!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+Hitachi+Style

That with some stuff from siliconintakes.com and a velocity stack and filter and BAMN!

I would love to see some custom long tubes made for this engine. Surra are you going to Dyno with your custom 3'' downpipe attached to the cattman shorties?

You really need to slap in some C8s or C9s and hit 340-350whp. You know, more than stage 1 supercharged Zs make.

Big intake, Big exhaust, Big cams, Big HP. True Story.

You can run stock injectors to 300 but it isn't advised. They are cheap enough no reason not to buy larger injectors if you go above 280ish.

I really wish we could get an LS2 TB to run on our cars. Or hell any larger TB other than the 2k9 5mm whoop dee doo. A custom IM with larger TB would be a huge help. Another 20whp right there. The titan guys got it to work but the company stopped selling them and they are super rare. You would think the Z guys would have figured it out but they haven't. Keep seeing threads on it but no one gets it to work.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

I said forever 4'' and everyone told me it was a bad idea. That the air would slow down blah blah blah. I'm really happy you proved me right Surra. You should sell a 4'' intake man!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+Hitachi+Style

That with some stuff from siliconintakes.com and a velocity stack and filter and BAMN!

I would love to see some custom long tubes made for this engine. Surra are you going to Dyno with your custom 3'' downpipe attached to the cattman shorties?

You really need to slap in some C8s or C9s and hit 340-350whp. You know, more than stage 1 super charged Zs make.

Big intake, Big exhaust, Big cams, Big HP. True Story.

haha yeah, same as 3" exhaust too. i do beleive 4" intake is the limit though. im not going to test any bigger.

forget getting a big maf, just get the intake pipe, add air temp, = Haltech FTW

I did dyno with the 3" custom ypipe, it was actually sparks (sorry about this thread derailment) it makes power but the unequal length is just LOUD too loud for DD for me I think there was 4-10 hp in that ypipe tho. Id much rather have real longtube headers.

Cant run C8 or C9 cam, I have to run a HR style cam. Ive talked to JWT many times ill be using the C1HR which is 262 duration (they tested longer duration with not much gain in power) AND with 11.94 lift wich is right at where the c8 is in lift.

With control over intake and exhaust when i do get cams its going to be a adventure! With longtubes and cams Im shooting for 330-350 then i might call it "done" haha

we need to make another thread about intake piping i guess this really dont need to be in here lol

edit for new stuff:
Fastnfuriousmax you ordered a i/m and are owed money?

Last edited by SurraTT; 06-15-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:23 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by SurraTT
2.75 is stock?

soo get a Haltech!

280whp is around the limit of stock injectors anyway (being SAFE)
What injectors do you have? 440s? 390s? 335s (Z)?

I'm rockin the Z33 injectors, (335's) Not sure if those are what you're running. Did we ever establish what the 09 VQ's run? We probably did but I can't recall.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SurraTT
haha yeah, same as 3" exhaust too. i do beleive 4" intake is the limit though. im not going to test any bigger.

forget getting a big maf, just get the intake pipe, add air temp, = Haltech FTW

I did dyno with the 3" custom ypipe, it was actually sparks (sorry about this thread derailment) it makes power but the unequal length is just LOUD too loud for DD for me I think there was 4-10 hp in that ypipe tho. Id much rather have real longtube headers.

Cant run C8 or C9 cam, I have to run a HR style cam. Ive talked to JWT many times ill be using the C1HR which is 262 duration (they tested longer duration with not much gain in power) AND with 11.94 lift wich is right at where the c8 is in lift.

With control over intake and exhaust when i do get cams its going to be a adventure! With longtubes and cams Im shooting for 330-350 then i might call it "done" haha

we need to make another thread about intake piping i guess this really dont need to be in here lol

edit for new stuff:

Are you having custom long tubes made? Or just thinking about it?

I'm surprised JWT doesn't have a more aggressive cam. Or that it didn't show greater gains. The bigger the better on the old VQ as the above links show. But then again your engine is 'smarter' than a 'old & dumb' vq35de. You have a rev up motor right? JWT makes c9 cams for it. You think I would know what engine is in a 2k9 maxima lol.

Have you tried contacting GTM and getting their input in regards to Cam specs? I would put them at the same level if not higher than JWT. I always thought they knew something JWT didn't by not having the exhaust and intake cams exactly the same. These are the guys who build 1000hp race engines and know more about the VQ than anyone else or so I have been told. Never seen a dyno with their cams though.

GT Motorsports® Stage I NA/Supercharger Spec camshafts for the VQ35DE

The challenges of designing NA cams are much different from turbo cams. Much greater emphasis was placed on intake resonance, which has proportionally greater effect on performance than on turbocharged vehicles. Our research showed that to maximize volumetric efficiency, an asymmetrical lift for intake and exhaust was required, in addition to the asymmetrical cam duration. It was also found that a higher lift on the intake side paired with a slightly lower exhaust side lift, achieved the greatest performance gain on the broadest possible rpm range. Higher overlap in this case is possible, as reversion is not as much of an issue.

Specifications

Stage1:
Intake: 264 deg (stock 238)
Exhaust: 256 deg (stock 240)
Lift: 0.435” (intake) and 0.423” (exhaust)
Overlap: 22 deg (at 0.045” lift) – more than stock

Stage 2:
282/272 degrees @ .012”
240/232 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm/11.00mm Valve lift (intake/exhaust)

Stage 3:
302/292 degrees @ .012”
256/250 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm/11.00mm Valve lift (intake/exhaust)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtYdo1HjnPg <-- it's Friday and I am bored.
"You couldn't even get GTM to give you a reach around for 7000" lol

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ight=long+tube

You have a rev up motor right? JWT makes c9 cams for it...
He has an 09 A35 motor. HR - (minus) dual TB's like an FWD HR.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

What injectors do you have? 440s? 390s? 335s (Z)?

I'm rockin the Z33 injectors, (335's) Not sure if those are what you're running. Did we ever establish what the 09 VQ's run? We probably did but I can't recall.

im running 380's but at my power they are at 81% DC so when i get cams or anything else to make a nice jump in power ill need 440's

im pretty sure the 09 max injectors are very close to 02 stock. if not the same.

Hey I don't care about cluttering up this thread. Sparks ripped me off big time. He paid everyone else back but me. Dragged me out for 3 months before I posted what was going on online. The more people who see this thread the better. Still not a penny in my account. The guy has mods on his car he can sell and doesn't. There is no way in 6-8 months you can't come up with a measly $480 or whatever it is. It's been so damn long I don't even know how much he owes me and am too lazy to go back a few pages in this thread. Not like knowing the exact number will ever get me my money back.

I'm surprised JWT doesn't have a more aggressive cam. Or that it didn't show greater gains. The bigger the better on the old VQ as the above links show. But then again your engine is 'smarter' than a 'old & dumb' vq35de.

Have you tried contacting GTM and getting their input in regards to Cam specs? I would put them at the same level if not higher than JWT.

You have a rev up motor right? JWT makes c9 cams for it...

Yeah thats what i was thinking also, but they tested in on a RWD HR and it is what it is.

On GTM's site if you chose VQ35HR it dont even come up with HR specific cams. I sure woudl not want a regular DE cam profile on my HR heads.

no a rev up FWD does not exist and wont work, a HR headed 09 Max will work and is better then rev up anyway.

Last edited by SurraTT; 06-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM

i feel like i should've gotten C8's now lol -_-

too late lol :[
Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

Where's everyone getting their 4" flow stacks?

Looks like BPi only has up to 3.5" .
Old 06-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned

Where's everyone getting their 4" flow stacks?

Looks like BPi only has up to 3.5" .
http://www.bpi-us.com/stacks.php#vs400600

I see a 4'' This is where I was going to buy mine. Vibrant, Blox, and Spectra have them as well iirc. For the MAF I was going to use the treadstone pipe and get all couplers & pipe & whatnot from siliconintakes.com. I am sure others can comment on where to best place to buy this stuff is.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Gahh, reading > me
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

I wonder if there is much of a difference in the different VSs. For instance does one have a larger filter and more gradual bell incline if that makes sense. Or are they all 6'' filters with a 4'' ID? Like why not a 7-8'' filter and smoother transition down to 4''. Then again a filter that larger might start to be a problem fitting in certain places...
Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

From what I read the Vibrant was an 7" for the 4" inlet, where as most others are the 6" ID, but that's a good question. I sued the 6" just because the JWT filter fits right on top of it.

I've always wondered myself. I personally like the JWT/Stillen sized POP, smooth transition, whereas the BPi, is a bit strangely designed in that it doesn't really flow well and transition into the 3.5" ID. I guess I'll see how the 4" stacks up.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Banned

From what I read the Vibrant was an 7" for the 4" inlet, where as most others are the 6" ID, but that's a good question. I sued the 6" just because the JWT filter fits right on top of it.

I've always wondered myself. I personally like the JWT/Stillen sized POP, smooth transition, whereas the BPi, is a bit strangely designed in that it doesn't really flow well and transition into the 3.5" ID. I guess I'll see how the 4" stacks up.
My logic would say the Vibrant with the 7'' filter would be the best bang for your buck. Smoother transition down to 4'' & more filter area. Is the cost a big difference?

I always find it odd I see online the Vstacks but no filters or combos. If anything you would think you would see more combos and filters vs stacks. As the filters wear out and people generally buy them together. Maybe I just suck at googling.

You would think this would flow better than this assuming the ID were the same right?:
Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

4" velocity stack used with 6" filter

Spectre 9604 http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-9604-V.../dp/B004AJ18KI

Ive purchased the 3.5 and 4 in this same brand with good results $15 FTW and the 4" has threads for mounting purposes.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

So where are some good place to get 4" MAF's from?

The link on altimas.net looks to be right on point, the other one from tread stone looks a little iffy as far as bolt pattern for the sensor goes.

Anyone have any others?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just curious, would be there any advantage to doing a 4" MAF and 4" piping on a turbo 5.5 gen? I am right at 400whp at the moment and I need to redo some of my piping and clean it up anyway.

Quick Reply: SCAM ALERT: Custom intake manifolds going into production