All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...

Officially kicks off today, I'm serious enough now to actually make a thread....

07+ Altima VQ35DE (Aiming for 20k-40k miles on the motor)
- Cams TBD
- Stock Z33 Injectors
- Minor Head Porting
- HR head gasket
- HR Head Bolts
- RU Water Pump
- RU Water Pump gasket
- 3.0L Timing Kit
- Cam Adapters
- FPR Regulator
- Walbro 255lph
- RevUp Oil Pump
- ARP Rod Bolts
- JWT ECU (Not going to happen till after the motor goes in sadly)

Anywho, just making a thread so I can not get side tracked by anything else, not being able to compete in IFO has really irk'd me the last few days and I really want to finish this and compete in one before the year is over with.

My goal date is 10/13/11 to get this car running with a 3.5.

Build thread to come when I have attained all of the parts.... Just made this thread to discuss and ask some questions I have along the way of collecting parts.....

//Edit, None of that **** happened above... See below:

Complete revamp:

02-03 Block
HR Pistons
.4 Cometic HG
3.0L Timing+Electronics
Z33 Injectors
02-03 UIM
-NWP Block Off Plate
-Spacers from one of the two companies

Last edited by aackshun; 11-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Interesting list there - what are your plans for your ECU?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
Interesting list there - what are your plans for your ECU?
Hopefully JWT can work up something close to what I need.

I'm also considering a Haltech Standalone (Yay for being reg'd in KS), apparently I can get a base model (not the platinum pro) for about $900 after taxes and shipping, which is about what I have planned to spend on a tuning solution originally (E.U. + JWT)

I've been told multiple times over and over again from countless nissan tuners to stay away from E.U. unless I'm backed into a corner and I truly have no other option.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Gram Lights addict

so is this going to be the first accord with a VQ?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Any reason why your getting an after market fuel pump?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

what heads are you going to use? and what are your power goals?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
Fck yeah

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Any reason why your getting an after market fuel pump?
A. This one is going out
B. From my research I will be pushing the limits of my stock one.

Originally Posted by TurboA32
what heads are you going to use? and what are your power goals?
The Altima Heads with some minor work down to 'em to accommodate whatever cams I find suitable for my planned power band.

Again, I am under the assumption that the 07+ Altimerrr heads flow better than 06- VQ35s, and with their HR like dyno curves I am willing to run with that assumption.

I need to go ahead and buy that engine dyno program I heard it was fairly accurate in determining what cams to use and what your power band will look like.

I'd like 300whp in a perfect world, but I'm REALLY concerned with having a FLAT torque line (in my powerband atleast), with TQ #'s close to my HP #'s.
I will be extremely disappointed if I end up with another VQ loosing 40+ft/lbs from Peak to shift point, that will make me end up selling the motor swap very quickly.

Last edited by aackshun; 08-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE

Old 08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

You already have the parts?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
You already have the parts?
Originally Posted by aackshun
Officially kicks off today, I'm serious enough now to actually make a thread....

07+ Altima VQ35DE (Aiming for 20k-40k miles on the motor)
- Cams TBD
- Stock Z33 Injectors
- Minor Head Porting
- HR head gasket
- HR Head Bolts
- RU Water Pump
- RU Water Pump gasket
- 3.0L Timing Kit
- Cam Adapters
- FPR Regulator
- Walbro 255lph
- RevUp Oil Pump
- ARP Rod Bolts
- JWT ECU (Not going to happen till after the motor goes in sadly)

Anywho, just making a thread so I can not get side tracked by anything else, not being able to compete in IFO has really irk'd me the last few days and I really want to finish this and compete in one before the year is over with.

My goal date is 10/13/11 to get this car running with a 3.5.

Build thread to come when I have attained all of the parts.... Just made this thread to discuss and ask some questions I have along the way of collecting parts.....
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Wait a minute, you edited that
Old 08-23-2011, 02:55 PM

Heres my next question. Will this be a dyno queen or are you planning on racing it?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Heres my next question. Will this be a dyno queen or are you planning on racing it?

1/4 MILE OR BUST
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM

Wait a minute, you edited that
I did, but I didn't add that, I just added the injectors and maybe one other thing, but I didn't add that phoo!

1/4 MILE OR BUST
Me? garage queen my car?? I'm lolling so hard here, I beat the crap out of my car on a daily basis, if it was a girl I'd be arrested for domestic abuse

The only reason why I drive different cars is the gain aspect as to where my car is, where it's been, and where it's going, keep a constant check up on if this is the right vision I had y'kno?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM

make sure you post pics please
Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

gl with the project man, i wanted to do the same thing just can't get in contact with the people who can do it and also started having second thoughts about reliability
Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM

i think you should use 3.0 heads
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM

make sure you post pics please
Pics won't be for awhile, if you want up to date progress add me on flicker (org username) or on FB (I'll be deleting FB once my flicker gets up to speed though)

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
gl with the project man, i wanted to do the same thing just can't get in contact with the people who can do it and also started having second thoughts about reliability
Me too, I <3 how tough my VQ30 has been, I know if it was a VQ35 I would have already popped it by now, I hope with these minor little cheap things I am doing I can have near VQ30 reliability and smoothness , because I know I won't do nearly as retarded things as I've done in the past with the 3.5 as I have/am doing now w/ the 3.0

If I were using an older VQ35 block, lets say your typical 02-06 block, then yes I would definitely be heavily considering 3.0heads with 3.5 block and altima IM.

There are secret plans for an ultimate all motor build using some 3.0 parts, only a few know of it, and I'm sure I'm not the first to have thought of it, but I want to be the first to do it.... But that won't come until lightyears into the future.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Hopefully JWT can work up something close to what I need.

I'm also considering a Haltech Standalone (Yay for being reg'd in KS), apparently I can get a base model (not the platinum pro) for about $900 after taxes and shipping, which is about what I have planned to spend on a tuning solution originally (E.U. + JWT)

I've been told multiple times over and over again from countless nissan tuners to stay away from E.U. unless I'm backed into a corner and I truly have no other option.
Funny - that's how I feel about the EU, which is why it's still in my basement, un-installed. The stock ECU has a nasty habit of changing ignition advance - death to a nitrous engine. A piggyback will just make it worse. Question - do you have any specific EU stories from the Nissan tuners?

My last engine (the one you heard at KCIR) had those eBay S1 cams and Stephen Max's adapters with the 2* advance, and that engine had lots more torque at the low end than my new one has - of course, no match at the top end. But with the plastic Alty UIM, you will see much better breathing at the top end. That combination alone would make your engine a beast. Gonna throw in a modded Pathy TB?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Funny - that's how I feel about the EU, which is why it's still in my basement, un-installed. The stock ECU has a nasty habit of changing ignition advance - death to a nitrous engine. A piggyback will just make it worse. Question - do you have any specific EU stories from the Nissan tuners?

My last engine (the one you heard at KCIR) had those eBay S1 cams and Stephen Max's adapters with the 2* advance, and that engine had lots more torque at the low end than my new one has - of course, no match at the top end. But with the plastic Alty UIM, you will see much better breathing at the top end. That combination alone would make your engine a beast. Gonna throw in a modded Pathy TB?

I will ask around why the shops and guys here don't like EU that much, get some quotes and stories and post them in here.

I'm not too terribly concerned with low end, as long as I have no less than what I do now (which I highly doubt, I will probably have a little bit more tq down low than I do now in the worst case scenario) then I will be perfectly fine with my low end.

The timing advance thing will be done at me and my mechanic's discretion... All depends on what cams are up for sale and what that engine dyno program thingy says (man I need to just buy that cool program, but I keep forgetting lol).

No, I have not succumbed to that yet... I've posted on random non-nissan forums for a cable operated TB around 75mm with cruise control that I can mod to have our TPS fit onto....

So far I think the SN-95 Mustang's aftermarket TB's is what I can come up with but no CC, so no go (may have to do some welding/ghetto fabbing to keep CC).

Still on the hunt for something of the like.... And how did getting rid of the vias go for you? Take the shark for a spin w/o the runners/flaps?? I plan on getting rid of it (ME NO LIKE VARIABLES!)
Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I will ask around why the shops and guys here don't like EU that much, get some quotes and stories and post them in here.

No, I have not succumbed to that yet... I've posted on random non-nissan forums for a cable operated TB around 75mm with cruise control that I can mod to have our TPS fit onto....

So far I think the SN-95 Mustang's aftermarket TB's is what I can come up with but no CC, so no go (may have to do some welding/ghetto fabbing to keep CC).

Still on the hunt for something of the like.... And how did getting rid of the vias go for you? Take the shark for a spin w/o the runners/flaps?? I plan on getting rid of it (ME NO LIKE VARIABLES!)
What vias? It needs just a touch of pedal when starting in cold weather - otherwise I don't miss it. I'm kinda proud of my getto fabbing to get the much-modified Pathy TB mounted on the Altima UIM - and the cruise works great. You know it looks good.

I would appreciate EU stories - I don't trust piggybacks that modify whatever the ECU is doing.

You're getting better at this mod-a-max thing.....
Old 08-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Why?
There are secret plans for an ultimate all motor build using some 3.0 parts, only a few know of it, and I'm sure I'm not the first to have thought of it, but I want to be the first to do it.... But that won't come until lightyears into the future.
I would like to know these secret plans.

Good luck with your build man, should be nice!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 PM

You can share with the All Motor section. It probably wont make its way to the 4th gen section, even if it did, it might not make any sense.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:32 PM

What vias? It needs just a touch of pedal when starting in cold weather - otherwise I don't miss it. I'm kinda proud of my getto fabbing to get the much-modified Pathy TB mounted on the Altima UIM - and the cruise works great. You know it looks good.

I would appreciate EU stories - I don't trust piggybacks that modify whatever the ECU is doing.

You're getting better at this mod-a-max thing.....
Yesssssss! But I want a bigger TB!

Stay tuned.

Hahaha thanks, I learn from the crazy people *coughcoughcough*

Originally Posted by krazy6
Why?

I would like to know these secret plans.

Good luck with your build man, should be nice!
3.0 has better potential stock to make some top end, then 02-06 3.5's no one has pushed the heads as far as 3.5 heads have been pushed, I know I personally think there's a lot of untouched potential if one wanted to go to 10 grand and make power and not have to goto cosworth.....

Originally Posted by maximatogo
You can share with the All Motor section. It probably wont make its way to the 4th gen section, even if it did, it might not make any sense.
Nope!!! Between me and two other people right now, one day I will be able to have a second maxima purely for Road course racing (what a solid rear beam on the road course?! Nonsense.....) and other types of racing.... basically a car where I don't have to worry about balancing streetability and race-ability (that a word???). This car will have the motor that's spinning in my head right now.

I will say this much, it's been done for decades on other platforms, it's not an original idea by any means, but that's as far as I am willing to devulge.

Last edited by aackshun; 08-23-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 AM

you's a damn thief foo,

wait, you mean my idea or you toolin around with somethin different?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
you's a damn thief foo,
I only stole the upper half of your idea, the lower end was all me.... stealing from another motor build on a different motor..... That produces over 100whp and 100wtq per liter N/A
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 AM

so you dont have an episode like i did check the compression of the motor before you tear into it.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Yesssssss! But I want a bigger TB!

Look at the Q45 TB? 90mm, cable throttle, and compatible tps.... That's a big hole there... Use the '09+ Maxima UIM, my ghetto TR adapter, and the Q45 TB - you can't get better breathing than that. I thought about it - have a couple of those TBs - but a nitrous engine doesn't need THAT much air.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
so you dont have an episode like i did check the compression of the motor before you tear into it.
This goes without say, but I wouldn't be too worried because this isn't the first gen VQ35s....

Look at the Q45 TB? 90mm, cable throttle, and compatible tps.... That's a big hole there... Use the '09+ Maxima UIM, my ghetto TR adapter, and the Q45 TB - you can't get better breathing than that. I thought about it - have a couple of those TBs - but a nitrous engine doesn't need THAT much air.

Too big!!!!! I'm looking for 75-80, may have my guy fab something up down here.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Just my thoughts: Try and run a 95-96 MT ECU if you can find one (you are MT, right?) If you are running different cams, maybe consider drilling them instead of cam adapters? You might be better off doing a full ecu swap. Get a lot of RTV, shop towels, and brake and parts cleaner in advance. Like a whole crate. Also don't break a bolt off in the water pump area...
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ampire
Try and run a 95-96 MT ECU if you can find one (you are MT, right?) If you are running different cams, maybe consider drilling them instead of cam adapters? You might be better off doing a full ecu swap.
Why?

And full ECU from an Altima '07? Yes that a very very low ranking on the list of possibilities, anything else gets a hell no, but entertain me.... Why?

Not doing the motor build myself, my mechanic is doing the "fun" stuff, all I'm doing is taking out the 3.0, inserting the 3.5
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM

Why?

And there's no chance in hell that's happening, but entertain me... Why?
The older ecu's allow for a codeless swap. If you run the original ecu, you retain the variable cam and keep 30 horsepower. Biggest difference would be area under the curve. If you drill the cams rather than the cam adapters you don't have to worry about the cam adapters failing if the bolt (locktite that sunova***** regardless LOL) should ever back off, causing your valves to hit the pistons.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Another advantage of running the original ecu is if you pop your motor in the future you can just put a motor right in, you don't have to **** around with removing timing covers and swapping ****. Emissions may also be easier. A couple people have tried to make a user guide to doing a full ecu swap but it usually never pans out. Its been done before, its just the guide isn't as laid out. http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...p-harness.html

Last edited by ampire; 08-24-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM

The older ecu's allow for a codeless swap. If you run the original ecu, you retain the variable cam and keep 30 horsepower. Biggest difference would be area under the curve. If you drill the cams rather than the cam adapters you don't have to worry about the cam adapters failing if the bolt (locktite that sunova***** regardless LOL) should ever back off, causing your valves to hit the pistons.
Another advantage of running the original ecu is if you pop your motor in the future you can just put a motor right in, you don't have to **** around with removing timing covers and swapping ****. Emissions may also be easier. A couple people have tried to make a user guide to doing a full ecu swap but it usually never pans out. Its been done before, its just the guide isn't as laid out.
I made some edits.

Word on that 95-96 ecu thanggg, I was actually planning to buy one just for simplicity sake and emissions? Who cares? I know I don't

The guy who is doing my swap has done other timing swaps on VQ's, I trust him to do what he does on the cam adapters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, variable xyz can blow me , I like cable throttle bodies, static manifolds and static cam timing, after diving through so many 3.5 dynos I have learned that @ WOT there is no difference (or nowhere near enough difference for me to even consider all of the work wiring) between a static cammed and a varible cammed 3.5.

A Standalone ECU would be the only non 4th gen ECU that goes in my car.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

If you was to go standalone why would you NOT run variable cams?

Vipec V88 + 09 max quad cam control = WIN

^serious stuff right there!

Ill help with the wiring......

I understand running 3.0 to keep 3.0 ecu to be obd2 compliant. Other than that 3.0 timing is so late 90's hahaha

Last edited by SurraTT; 08-24-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 PM

I made some edits.

Word on that 95-96 ecu thanggg, I was actually planning to buy one just for simplicity sake and emissions? Who cares? I know I don't

The guy who is doing my swap has done other timing swaps on VQ's, I trust him to do what he does on the cam adapters.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, variable xyz can blow me , I like cable throttle bodies, static manifolds and static cam timing, after diving through so many 3.5 dynos I have learned that @ WOT there is no difference (or nowhere near enough difference for me to even consider all of the work wiring) between a static cammed and a varible cammed 3.5.

A Standalone ECU would be the only non 4th gen ECU that goes in my car.
yeah I am a ninja editor myself. you will get better power-band/area under the curve with variable cams than you will with 3.0 static cams. You can make up for it of course with the VIAS delete, phenolic spacers, and y pipe, but you could always add these to a full swap anyway. You will have greater tuning options as well. I did a 3.0 timing 3.5 swap but if I did it over I would have just done the full 02 ECU. It would have probably taken the same amount of time.

Last edited by ampire; 08-24-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
If you was to go standalone why would you NOT run variable cams?

Vipec V88 + 09 max quad cam control = WIN

^serious stuff right there!

Ill help with the wiring......

I understand running 3.0 to keep 3.0 ecu to be obd2 compliant. Other than that 3.0 timing is so late 90's hahaha
I run the 3.0 ECU to keep it simple.

2k for an standalone? Aw hale naw. Especially when I can get that Haltech pb for under $900......

3.0 Timing gets the job done still very effectively, all I need are the right set of cams to open and close my valves effectively at WOT, as I've said I have yet to see enough dyno evidence to convince me to even imagine why keep all of that extra stuff on the car.

yeah I am a ninja editor myself. you will get better power-band/area under the curve with variable cams than you will with 3.0 static cams. You can make up for it of course with the VIAS delete, phenolic spacers, and y pipe, but you could always add these to a full swap anyway. You will have greater tuning options as well. I did a 3.0 timing 3.5 swap but if I did it over I would have just done the full 02 ECU. It would have probably taken the same amount of time.
Not at WOT, which would be my primary concern, and yes I road course, my part throttle power is more than enough right now to get the car in and out of corners.

Greater tuning options with an 02 ecu?! Maybe something 04+ (Osiiirrriiiiissssssss) but a certain guy *cough cough* never finished that swap so I will be sticking with my 90s technology.

Hell if I was ballsy enough I'd do a full 07 Altimurrr swap..... But I ain't....

Last edited by aackshun; 08-24-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

I run the 3.0 ECU to keep it simple.

2k for an standalone? Aw hale naw. Especially when I can get that Haltech for $900......

3.0 Timing gets the job done still very effectively, all I need are the right set of cams to open and close my valves effectively at WOT, as I've said I have yet to see enough dyno evidence to convince me to even imagine why keep all of that extra stuff on the car.

Not at WOT, which would be my primary concern, and yes I road course, my part throttle power is more than enough right now to get the car in and out of corners.

Greater tuning options with an 02 ecu?! Maybe something 04+ (Osiiirrriiiiissssssss) but a certain guy *cough cough* never finished that swap so I will be sticking with my 90s technology.

Hell if I was ballsy enough I'd do a full 07 Altimurrr swap..... But I ain't....

i understand keeping it simple. but what fun is that?????

which haltech u looking at for 900? Only 2 i looked at getting are sport2k and 350z which are 1700 ish.

hey i got it working!! But taking the stock ecu out and using the new ecu only kills some functions.

Ive got new ideas for it. Hopefully gonna come up with a nice solution to keep stock ecu but have full osiris. Gonna be nice.

Ive already thought about it for 3.0 ecu ppl the prob woudl be the cam and crank sensors.

Actually the revised z ecu swap thread is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Aackshun's VQ35DE Swap Plans...