All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00vi Swap - Fuel Rail questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Still kickin'

Question 00vi Swap - Fuel Rail questions

I know I probably don't need to start a new thread about this, but I really don't like asking questions in other people's threads.

I have searched and found a couple swap threads that mention the fuel rail differences. Most end up saying that you need to replace the damper on the 00vi fuel rail with an adapter fitting. I've also read in one of those threads that you can use the damper assuming you have enough hose to connect to the original fuel line.

So here's my situation. My fuel rail has both the damper and the FPR attached. On the damper side, it has a good 16" of line ending at a metal fitting that was cut (going to assume it was part of the hard lines under the TB). So my 2 questions are, am I OK to just cut back the line and then, using a barbed fitting, plug it into the original fuel line while maintaining the damper? Or do i absolutely need the fuel rail adaptor? Spending ~$30 (shipped) for a brass fitting that doesn't even fit perfectly and has to be modified seems a bit steep if i can just retain the damper with no ill effects.

Any info/insight would be great as i need to figure this out by tomorrow afternoon at the latest so, if i have to order the fitting, i can get it here on time.

Also, what exactly does the damper do... I assume it acts as some sort of regulator for the fuel pump in a way to keep the flow more linear than peaky.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Post a pic.

If the damper line, the non-return line, still has that barbed fitting attached, your good to go. Just insert your To-Fuel-Line hose into that barb and your done.

Ill get a pic from my thread, hold up.

If it looks like that, you dont need an adapter.That black dirty looking thing on the tip of the hose is the metal barb. Make sure you use adjustable clamp rings!

Last edited by shadyonedeath; 09-23-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Still kickin'

hmmm. mine doesn't look quite like that. waiting on the pic from my phone, will post it up in a couple minutes.

here's a pic:

Also, i didn't notice it before, but the FPR's vacuum nipple is like...gone. and there is no vacuum nipple on the damper like in your picture. the very end of the hose is just a fitting then a small portion (about 1" long - cut) of what is likely that metal piece in your picture. i think i might have gotten screwed...

All i can tell by comparing your picture to what i have is that I potentially need to order 2 $20 (plus shipping) fittings and an external fpr...

Can i use the 4th gen fpr on the 5th gen rail since this one is fubarred you think?

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 09-23-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM

lol the part i needed to see is cut out of the picture. Take another.

Hmm, as far as your FPRs vacuum nipple, maybe you can JB weld one on there? Take a better picture of the end of that long hose and the broken vacuum piece please.

Who did you buy it from?

Last edited by shadyonedeath; 09-23-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 PM

No, the 4th gen FPR won't work. I believe AJcool attempted that to keep his stock fuel pressure, and he had performance problems.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM

If I were you, I would try and find you another FPR. JB weld might work, and it'll hold for a little bit but no telling if it will break off.

Any idea what year yours was off of George? You will probably be able to find a spare fuel rail with the metal not cut, and the FPR in good condition for around the same price as an FPR. I know when I was looking around there were some for $30-ish shipped.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
No, the 4th gen FPR won't work. I believe AJcool attempted that to keep his stock fuel pressure, and he had performance problems.
Yes it was either him or Augusta Moon, but I do recall that. 4th gen FPR wont work. You, my friend, have a good memory.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Still kickin'

grrrr. just when I thought I might be ready to go...

shady, pic is incoming from my phone. it literally is like the fitting on yours going into the bracket; a 1" segment only cut off right at the bend heading down to the bracket.

pic:

I just need to rant a minute:
95turbo gxe really has some explaining to do. When i went to buy this kit the first time, he was suddenly missing parts, and refunded me my money even though i wanted the kit without the parts he said he was missing. Then because he gave me the wrong email address for his paypal the first time (he misspelled his email address... who does that?! Especially when money is involved), I got screwed over for some bills because of the amount of time to return the money to my account from canceling the initial payment to him. I decided to get it again about a month later, but was just a few bucks short with upcoming bills, so my roommate bought it for me (and i payed him back). And now he ships me a 00vi that is pretty crappy (sealant of some sort everywhere around the brake booster and egr block off), with a fuel rail that might not even necessarily be the right one, with parts on it that are broken... Did i mention that he "lost" the injector clips, but sent it out anyway without them. He said he "found" them and would ship them out ASAP, and not one word from him in 4 days even though he was on a couple days ago. Not to mention the egr stuff that was supposed to be included as per the picture in the FS thread wasn't included either. I hate getting screwed over... and this is becoming a big hassle, and I've spent far more money than had I just simply pieced together the swap myself.... so much for kits and this guy's credibility imo!!
/end rant

-George

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 09-23-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Still kickin'

I'm beginning to think this guy butchered this setup and it wouldn't work (i wonder why...) and then sold it off using someone else's picture for his FS thread. I am way to gullible i guess. Should have noticed this stuff when I first went through the parts in the craptastically wrapped box that endedup causing a broken TPS (why would you leave that bolted up in the first place...)

Going to sleep on it and decide whether or not to box it all back up and file a claim to paypal and send it back to him for not properly depicting the items he was selling. Atleast he'll get an immaculately cleaned TB back, rather than the crusty, outside-for-a-year one he sent me with the kit...

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 09-23-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 PM

Been there man...Same problem, missing parts, parts broken, ****ty packaging, etc. I had to buy to 2 kits to complete mine. Keep talking to him and talk to paypal. How much did you pay and for what? The problem with the org is people get out of the "maxima game" and don't really give a **** about the quality of the items they sell. They just want to make money regardless of their reputations sake because they're not coming back anyway. That was my mistake. I'm never buying from someone who's "parting" out unless they're well known. I research their post history too, just in case they ran into problems with said parts.

Anyways, that "nipple" isnt even a nipple. Mine is barbed, like these fittings.

If you want to keep that fuel rail, you're going to have to get a double ended barb and some hose clamps because that "nipple/pipe" thing probably won't hold a proper seal.

Last edited by shadyonedeath; 09-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Still kickin'

Yeah, but not only that, the FPR is useless cause the vacuum source is filed down / cut off. The supposed damper doesn't even have a vacuum source fitting, which I believe it should.
Here's the picture from the FS thread: Disregard the rear valve cover and the exhaust manifold, those are the items he didn't have the first time and changed his subsequent FS thread with those marked out...

Link to the original FS thread

The hoses on that fuel rail are nothing like what is on this one, not to mention the damper and FPR have nipples on them for vacuum... then there's the little stuff like how bits and pieces actually on the 00vi are different... i got screwed

Last edited by Mad-MAX_SE; 09-23-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:10 AM

Oh I saw that a while back, immediately closed the page. Get a full refund and return it.

That fuel rail is not the one he sent you. And if he failed to disclose the vacuum nipples being closed, its false advertising. He sold you not only broken equipment claiming it was "complete", but not even the picture equipment. Unless that black sleeve on the dampener is hiding the real barbed piece, its not he fuel railed he pictured.

A COMPLETE kit is a WORKING kit.

File a claim, now.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 AM

File a claim. Look what happened to me and my bumper/fender I bought. Nevertheless, I was in a very similar situation. Good luck man.

Looks like the EU harness is on hold huh?
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 PM

how'd it go?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Still kickin'

last time he was logged on was the 25th of september. no replies to my PMs, going to probably file a claim at the beginning of the week if i don't get any reply by then. was waiting since I can make it work if i got the injector clips, but it's been over week with no response and no injector clips yet...
Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
I'm bumping this to add a note for future swappers. DO NOT USE THE 4th GEN FPR ON THE 5TH GEN RAIL!!! It took me a year to figure that out. I was running consistant 16's with it on and when I switched it it dropped my time more than a second. If you do use it buy yourself an adjustable one from ebay.

Yup was Ajcool2
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 PM

Wow this thread is a plus to read if your thinking about doing the swap. Im new to the maxima world so needless to say im learning. Im really sorry its at your exspense though. I never would have thought that maxma.org would be a place where you could get screwed on maxima parts ! I guess like dude said though if their gettin out of maximas , why not ! Anyways i hope you get your situation took care of buddy .