All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

DE v DE-K

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM

DE v DE-K

Besides the intake manifold and cams, what are the differences between the DE and the DE-K im trying to see if spending the extra $2-300 on another motor(blown head gasket) is really worth it when some of these 00vi swaps are going for around $150
Old 05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Besides the intake manifold and cams, what are the differences between the DE and the DE-K im trying to see if spending the extra $2-300 on another motor(blown head gasket) is really worth it when some of these 00vi swaps are going for around $150
Some harness differences (IAC mostly as you know ).

I have an extra upper 00vi, make an offer if you want it.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM

most ppl dont really prove to make a lot of power with just the IM... you'd be better off replacing the whole DE-K engine and while its out just use the 4th gen cams... u'd be better off
Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Turbo'd Saab

well actually if you have the heads off....get some 3.5 cams
Old 05-06-2009, 06:14 PM

iirc the coolant log is diffrent.....
Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Kevlo for President

Yes, the dek has better cooling to go along with the dek manifold.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
most ppl dont really prove to make a lot of power with just the IM... you'd be better off replacing the whole DE-K engine and while its out just use the 4th gen cams... u'd be better off
I don't really understand this, just curious, why is that? If the only differences are the coolant log, the UIM/LIM/Injectors/Rail, and cams, then shouldn't a manifold swap yield better gains?

I wouldn't think the coolant log would do anything for power. Everything between the MAF and the heads is used in most 00vi swaps (TB, IACV, UIM LIM, fuel rail, injectors). Plus keeping the 4th gen cams which are more aggressive than the DEK. Not to mention the 4th gen ECU has more aggressive timing which is even further advanced when you tune for the larger injectors.

I'm not disputing your claim, I am just curious as to why a whole DEK swap makes more power.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM

performance man...
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM

The mounts are different.

The coolant log(as stated above) is different.

IIRC, the rod bolts were slightly different(or maybe it was the head bolts) but I remember something being slightly different in them.

Also, Im not sure if there is a KS mount, or not. I could go look at the block in my garage, but Im sure someone else could tell you before I could go find out...
Old 05-06-2009, 09:07 PM

so from what im hearing the DEK block has a better cooling system but the DE has more aggressive cams. but iirc doesnt the DEK have a more aggressive intake cam compared to the DEs?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM

man im lost in the sauce, i just dynoed my car, and from what the dyno is telling me, i made 20more hp at 4000rpm with the dek. with the DE motor, i was at 198whp, now my last dyno i'm at 218whp with the dek. at 5600 rpm, the DE falls on its face, the dek keeps making power to redline. thats proof enough for me that swapping the dek was worth it, and im still not done with tmy project. now about cams, i thought the DEk were more aggressive, but i heard the DEk injectors flow the most, even more than the 3.5.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM

From http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...-cam-data.html

Engine: VQ30DE
Model Years: 1995-1999 (Maxima/ '96+ I30)

Intake__Lift: 8.55mm
Exhaust_Lift: 8.55mm

Intake__Duration: 232º
Exhaust_Duration: 232º

Intake_Opens: 3º BTDC
Intake_Closes: 49º ABDC

Exhaust_Opens: 49º BBDC
Exhaust_Closes: 3º ATDC

Overlap: 6º

-------------------------------------

Engine: VQ30DE (K)
Model Years: 2000-2001 (Maxima/I30)

Intake__Lift: 8.55mm
Exhaust_Lift: 9.0mm

Intake__Duration: 224º
Exhaust_Duration: 232º

Intake_Opens: 3º BTDC
Intake_Closes: 41º ABDC

Exhaust_Opens: 49º BBDC
Exhaust_Closes: 3º ATDC

Overlap: 6º
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM

k i see, not much of a difference for anybody to play around with DEK vs DE cams, those 3.5ers look tempting thou
Old 05-07-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
The mounts are different.

The coolant log(as stated above) is different.

IIRC, the rod bolts were slightly different(or maybe it was the head bolts) but I remember something being slightly different in them.

Also, Im not sure if there is a KS mount, or not. I could go look at the block in my garage, but Im sure someone else could tell you before I could go find out...

Im 99 percent sure that there is a ks mount and is pretty much simillar to the vq30. The only diffrence iirc is the harness and the ks it self(probley updated cause of all the ones that go bad on the 4th gen)

I dont remember the mounts being diffrent. but then again when i bought my motor i didnt get the bottom mounts. Are they just diffrent in design?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM

k i see, not much of a difference for anybody to play around with DEK vs DE cams, those 3.5ers look tempting thou
Not worth it. Should atleast use the 3.5 if your changing cams.

The DE has 8 more degrees of duration for the intake cam (open longer)

The DE-K has just a little more lift on the rear cam
Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY
man im lost in the sauce, i just dynoed my car, and from what the dyno is telling me, i made 20more hp at 4000rpm with the dek. with the DE motor, i was at 198whp, now my last dyno i'm at 218whp with the dek. at 5600 rpm, the DE falls on its face, the dek keeps making power to redline. thats proof enough for me that swapping the dek was worth it, and im still not done with tmy project. now about cams, i thought the DEk were more aggressive, but i heard the DEk injectors flow the most, even more than the 3.5.
You are comparing DE w/ 00VI and DE-K, right? If not, the comparison is completely irrelevant.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:32 PM

The wrist pin on the DEK are 1 mm bigger and off the center wich create less piston flapping thus creating less friction and wear on the cylinder wall.

BTW I have a bunch of brand new parts to build a DE engine if anyone interested just drop me a pm and I'll make you a hek of a deal.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You are comparing DE w/ 00VI and DE-K, right? If not, the comparison is completely irrelevant.
so are you saying a DE with 00VI will give you more power that a dek?. i mean if nothing is wrong with your motor, by all means slap a 00VI on it, but i dont thinnk a DE, or one with the VI gives more power than the DEk, now the DEk does not give a whole lot more power, but it still is a little more powerful. 'cause i have never heard of someone puttin back a regular DE with00VI, they usually do DEK, or 3.5, unless they are not into performance and just want their car to run again.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 PM
No more Maximas...

so are you saying a DE with 00VI will give you more power that a dek?. i mean if nothing is wrong with your motor, by all means slap a 00VI on it, but i dont thinnk a DE, or one with the VI gives more power than the DEk, now the DEk does not give a whole lot more power, but it still is a little more powerful. 'cause i have never heard of someone puttin back a regular DE with00VI, they usually do DEK, or 3.5, unless they are not into performance and just want their car to run again.
No, I'm saying with your dyno comparisons. You say the DE fell dead after ~5600 RPM, which isn't indicative of having an 00VI.

This thread is really specifically about the DE-K vs the DE except for the manifolds. If you 00VI the DE, then the dynos are a relatively accurate comparison. If not...it's just common sense that you'll make more power with a stock DE-K than with a stock DE.

There's nothing wrong with running an 00VI'd DE, it's a lot less work than swapping in a DE-K (for most people, anyway). I'd venture to guess that 90% of A32s on the org that have an 00VI have it on top of a DE, and didn't swap in a whole DE-K.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM

No, I'm saying with your dyno comparisons. You say the DE fell dead after ~5600 RPM, which isn't indicative of having an 00VI.

This thread is really specifically about the DE-K vs the DE except for the manifolds. If you 00VI the DE, then the dynos are a relatively accurate comparison. If not...it's just common sense that you'll make more power with a stock DE-K than with a stock DE.

There's nothing wrong with running an 00VI'd DE, it's a lot less work than swapping in a DE-K (for most people, anyway). I'd venture to guess that 90% of A32s on the org that have an 00VI have it on top of a DE, and didn't swap in a whole DE-K.
oh ok i got what you saying now, well i my rod bearings went out on me, so for $500 a dek with 60K in md was a good buy, i know in NY, NJ, PA they go for cheaper, but mostly everyone in md wanted $800-$1000. i wanted nothing to do with oil burning issues(3.5). what kinda mods do you have?.

Last edited by JAMAICANLOVRBOY; 05-07-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
No more Maximas...

oh ok i got what you saying now, well i my rod bearings went out on me, so for $500 a dek was a good buy, plus i wanted nothing to do with oil burning issues. what kinda mods do you have?.
5 speed swap, that's about it. Nothing else worth mentioning really.

I've got plans, but then doesn't everyone?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM

5 speed swap, that's about it. Nothing else worth mentioning really.

I've got plans, but then doesn't everyone?
oh ok, yea we all have plans. i know this is kinda off topic, but i was jus curious 'cause i never see you mention anything about your car.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
No more Maximas...

oh ok, yea we all have plans. i know this is kinda off topic, but i was jus curious 'cause i never see you mention anything about your car.
Never really saw the need, just a beat up old stock Maxima, really.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:29 AM
SCAMMER DO NOT BUY FROM FOR NOW

he's the mastermind of this stuff so i say he starts modding
Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 AM

Your not alone.....................

I have some real embarassing rust spots on my car. she looks like a work beater But maybe thats what i want people to think
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM

k how does this sound, 350z Nismo cams in a DE w/ an 00vi. I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he has an set and next time he is up around the shop if he can find them laying around i can have them. I need to find out the particulars on those cams but i know they are def. more aggressive than any stock cams.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Kevlo for President

Do it, or throw them in a DE-K. Throw some HR valvetrain stuff in there too, look up Dandy's threads
Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by i2vicious2
he's the mastermind of this stuff so i say he starts modding
Start sending me money, and I'll mod for the 'benefit of the community'.

To that point, there's a donate button on my site
Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 PM
SCAMMER DO NOT BUY FROM FOR NOW

Start sending me money, and I'll mod for the 'benefit of the community'.

To that point, there's a donate button on my site
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 PM

Id say, go with w/e motor you find cheapest and healthiest. If your motor is good (minimal blow by, and good compression), then just change the head gasket. is not as hard as one thinks once u actually do it. saves you a few hundred bucks. Now if a swap is a must, then get w/e is cheaper, if u get a DE, put the 00vi on it.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM

the head gasket is blown and the motor is still pulling hard, i shouldnt be driving it but i have no choice but to drive it until the semester is finished which will be on monday. then i dont have to depend on that car for the rest of the summer. Once the semester is done i will do a compression test and see which side blew and then go ahead and pull the motor out and replace the gaskets. This is one of those times when u wish the VQs had timing belts instead of chains thou.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up

the head gasket is blown and the motor is still pulling hard, i shouldnt be driving it but i have no choice but to drive it until the semester is finished which will be on monday. then i dont have to depend on that car for the rest of the summer. Once the semester is done i will do a compression test and see which side blew and then go ahead and pull the motor out and replace the gaskets. This is one of those times when u wish the VQs had timing belts instead of chains thou.
I had blown/leaking head gasket for a couple of years, even dyno'ed 312whp at 10psi while it was still leaking. I would occasionally blow up radiator hoses from the pressure. As long as your compression is good, and you have minimal blow by, just change the head gasket (change both!!!!), its a complete waste doing all the work to change one gasket, just dosnt make sense. I put stock gasket back on, put up the boost to 15psi and was terrorizing the streets for a while lol, till my blowby(which i always had alot) got worse, but i knew that was coming eventually. and plus, its a learning experience changing the HG. do it!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I had blown/leaking head gasket for a couple of years, even dyno'ed 312whp at 10psi while it was still leaking. I would occasionally blow up radiator hoses from the pressure. As long as your compression is good, and you have minimal blow by, just change the head gasket (change both!!!!), its a complete waste doing all the work to change one gasket, just dosnt make sense. I put stock gasket back on, put up the boost to 15psi and was terrorizing the streets for a while lol, till my blowby(which i always had alot) got worse, but i knew that was coming eventually. and plus, its a learning experience changing the HG. do it!
damn, i know it creates a lot of pressure because of the steam, every morning when i wake up i go outside and open the radiator to release the pressure, I have spent over $1000 on this car's cooling system(new radiator and water pump). Both headgaskets will be changed because of the cams that im putting in so both heads are going to come off anyway.

BTW just did some reading on the specs of the Nismo cams(R-tunes) i might be getting, they are slightly more aggressive then the S1 cams Dandymax put in the DEK, 262 vs 260, the lift is almost identical. I hope my friend finds those cams
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Do the DE's or VQ's in general have a known problem with head gaskets? I was at a dealership while back and a guy was telling me they blow gaskets all the time and I told him Noo but do they?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by killerVQ30DE
Do the DE's or VQ's in general have a known problem with head gaskets? I was at a dealership while back and a guy was telling me they blow gaskets all the time and I told him Noo but do they?
No. Especially not the VQ30s, honestly it's very uncommon to find them with a blown HG.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey those are some nice numbers So what kind of dyno and what did you have done to get a de to make 198whp and a dek to make 218whp.
I hade about everymod with a *** * load of timing and only made 195whp on my dek
Old 05-12-2009, 07:49 AM

Anybody know the prices on HR valve springs, Head studs and Oil pump. i obviously need the valve springs, if i want to do any kind of aftermarket cams, the oil pump because the motor is already out. Head studs can wait for a little i can change those at anytime really
Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Kevlo for President

I would call up DaveB or look on pinnacle nissans's site
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BTW just did some reading on the specs of the Nismo cams(R-tunes) i might be getting, they are slightly more aggressive then the S1 cams Dandymax put in the DEK, 262 vs 260, the lift is almost identical. I hope my friend finds those cams
IIRC the r-tunes are 262/256 compared to 260/260 for the S1's. The S1's are generally regarded as the more aggressive grind in the 350z community. There's more to cam specs than advertised lift and duration.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
IIRC the r-tunes are 262/256 compared to 260/260 for the S1's. The S1's are generally regarded as the more aggressive grind in the 350z community. There's more to cam specs than advertised lift and duration.
I figured S1s would be considered mild...especially when there are things out there like the 280 cams from Tomei, etc.

Quick Reply: DE v DE-K