All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

DE-K questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Under the radar

DE-K questions

Hey guys i searched and could not find the answer i was looking for. Partly because i do not know what im looking for. My DE-K is finished and tuned, and the power seems solid but its just not what i expected. The #'s were 190 tq at 4000 rpm and 170 hp at 5300 rpm. I was expecting close to 200 hp and 210 tq. I thought maybe one problem is the intake is not opening at all or partially. My mods are as follows Cattman header/y, stock cat, megan racing cat-back, short ram, and tuned with apexi neo. The motor has approximately 2000 miles. Any suggestions/opinions?

I know the org is known for its flamers but i searched, however im not sure what im searching for.

Last edited by Max_Out; 09-15-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Under the radar

Oh more info. Im running at about 12.8-13 on the wideband at wot from 2000-5500 rpms
Old 09-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Just my thought its a little rich, I tune at about 13.5 to 14.5 (but I'm also crazy)

Alot of things can play factor, weather, gear of pull. but your dyno results seem about right.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 09-15-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Under the radar

Oh 4th gear pull.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Turbo'd Saab

man where the hell is NMexMax....

Last activity 8-29-08

Maybe I'll call him....
Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Under the radar

Another quick question. Is there a difference in throttle bodies from the DE motor to the DE-K motor?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Under the radar

http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-in...k-dynojet.html

Found this article. I dont know if theirs any truth about it.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Max_Out
Another quick question. Is there a difference in throttle bodies from the DE motor to the DE-K motor?
yes...but the size is the same IIRC
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Lightly modded

If you're sure you have the VIAS activated properly and you're not making power up top, your VIAS might be busted. Check the 5th gen stickies for more info. I just fixed mine and it feels much better now.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
If you're sure you have the VIAS activated properly and you're not making power up top, your VIAS might be busted. Check the 5th gen stickies for more info. I just fixed mine and it feels much better now.

Thats the thing, i do not know if my VIAS is activated.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:25 AM

from the looks of the graph it seems as if the variable intake isn't working....i would think horsepower wouldn't decrease that much if it was working properly....

have any pictures of how its wired up?

edit: that dyno looks a little weird to me...i had similar dyno troubles this summer....i don't know if that dyno is showing accurately what your making......looks waaaay off.

Last edited by one_fast_max; 09-16-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Under the radar

Originally Posted by one_fast_max
from the looks of the graph it seems as if the variable intake isn't working....i would think horsepower wouldn't decrease that much if it was working properly....

have any pictures of how its wired up?

edit: that dyno looks a little weird to me...i had similar dyno troubles this summer....i don't know if that dyno is showing accurately what your making......looks waaaay off.

They said the dyno was calibrated last week, but who knows. They have a "1500" hp drag car thats constantly on it. So after reading this thread and a couple of others, Im 90% sure my VIAS isnt hooked up at all. Im going to do the VIAS fix if needed today.

My next question is, my NEO has a v-tec function. I was going to use it to control the 00VI, but im not at all sure how to wire it up, or if i need some sort of mechanical switch that will activate my VIAS. Any info on this?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Under the radar

Ok so i checked the "cup" inside the brick that attaches to the intake and its in tacked and not loose. So thankfully i dont have to worry about that for a while.

From what i understand from my friend who has done this swap (i30dvr) Power should be hooked up to one of these plugs and the NEO to the other. (plugs boxed in red)

with those hooked up the neo should tell the solenoid to open through vacuum pressure. I have three Vac lines coming off the "brick". two of the lines connect at a Y and go to nothing. as shown here.

the other one comes off the "brick" and goes to the brass hard line and then continues into the abyss of my motor haha. Shown here in two pics.

Please Correct me if im wrong, or tell me if im missing something. Id like to have my VIAS working soon.

Last edited by Max_Out; 09-16-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Lightly modded

This is how I have mine setup. I'm using a Summit RPM switch, so I don't know what you need to do for the NEO.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Under the radar

Ok so ive checked to see if the VIAS was busted and Check to see if the vacuum works with this trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFimhXYnIaw. Both are fine. If anyone has info on hooking the Vtec feature of VAFC's to the 00VI, please let me know. I read through Caesars Chariot sticky, but 90% of the links are dead. The thread did give me a clear understanding of the vacuum lines however.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Horizontally opposed.

I have the V-AFCII hooked up and properly activating my 00vi. I'll try to look at what wires need to be hooked up..

IIRC, it's only the black plug you need to worry about. One wire to ground, the other to one of the vtec wires of the V-AFCII.

AND, you don't need vacuum to any of the nipples...just let them sit there hoseless.

Last edited by mowgli29; 09-17-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Horizontally opposed.

Another thing I've read...it's silly to compare your dyno numbers to other cars. There are too many variables from one dyno to another, and the operator himself could change A LOT of things.

The only use for dynos is for tuning and measuring performance gains. Theoretically you'd go back to the same dyno each time with the same operator using the same settings and same weather conditions. This way you can accuratly gauge gains by comparing your previous runs. You may be making good power, but this dyno/operator is is resulting in a "low" reading. It does look a little funny though...and why didn't you ride it till the limiter?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Under the radar

mowgli29, if you could get pics and description of how you wired the 00VI that would be great! I have a video of the best dyno run uploading to you tube. I will post it soon. It sounds to me like hes taking the car right to red line and holding it there for a second or two, but also it seems like its being smothered up top.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Under the radar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6w30K2BlSs
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Under the radar

Also if someone has the Layout of the 2000-01 VIAS layout with part numbers, could you post a link or pic please. My motor did not come with the plug that goes into the black receptacle for the 00VI. Id like to show what im talking about to the nissan parts people when i pick one up.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Horizontally opposed.

those are the best I have. no part numberts, but I would think the parts dept can relate it to their system and find part numbers...
you need the connector for F29, VIAS control solenoid valve.

still working on wiring info.
Attached Thumbnails DE-K questions-86146096.jpg   DE-K questions-86146095.jpg  

Last edited by mowgli29; 09-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Horizontally opposed.

VIAS wiring: of the two connectors, we want to use the LEFT one that is BLACK. forget about the brown one on the right.

then on that plug there are two wires: left-red/yellow and right yellow/green.
the left wire goes to the pink wire of the V-ACFII
the right wire goes to a ground.

I think I have an extra connector if you can't get one from the stealership.

Last edited by mowgli29; 09-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by mowgli29
VIAS wiring: of the two connectors, we want to use the LEFT one that is BLACK. forget about the brown one on the right.

This is the same set up I have. You VIAS is not hooked up, that's why you are not making power. I did a dyno pull with mine closed to find the poper place for my switch over point, and the graph turned out just like yours is now. Once I set my switch over point and hooked up the VAFC-II My peak HP numbers went up quite a bit. With the VAFCII you just have to hook up the V-tec wire to the hot lead on the VIAS plug then ground the other one and it works. If you still need help at the meet I can possibly look at it then.

Also you took a pic of all of those vac nipples with hoses coming off of them...those don't really matter, mine are not hooked to anything.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by cardana24
Also you took a pic of all of those vac nipples with hoses coming off of them...those don't really matter, mine are not hooked to anything.

IIRC, having one nipple(not sure which one...maybe it was both ) hooked up to vacuum will result in an always open VIAS. Easiest way to avoid this is to leave them hoseless.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Under the radar

Thanks for all the help guys! Now ive got to figure out why im leaning out above 3 grand below and above 50% throttle. I talked to the Mechanic who wired the NEO (Cardana im running the Apexi NEO) up, and he said the connections were soldered on. The car went into limp mode, I cleared the codes, then started to run lean. The mechanic said the ECU might be going through a relearn process.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Thanks for all the help guys! Now ive got to figure out why im leaning out above 3 grand below and above 50% throttle. I talked to the Mechanic who wired the NEO (Cardana im running the Apexi NEO) up, and he said the connections were soldered on. The car went into limp mode, I cleared the codes, then started to run lean. The mechanic said the ECU might be going through a relearn process.
dude...that NEO must be the root of all your problems. I'll be a nice guy and trade you
Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Under the radar

dude...that NEO must be the root of all your problems. I'll be a nice guy and trade you
HAHAHA
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Horizontally opposed.

haha...good luck with everything. let us know how it turns out!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Blown

I don't know much about the NEO but I am guessing it is something like the VAFCII, I also have had an SAFCII and it is wired very similar. Do you even have any wires going to your plugs for the VIAS? What I am getting at is it looks like it is not even hooked up...maybe I just don't see the wires.

I assume you are using the stock ECU and not the DEK ecu right?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Under the radar

If you could get me a connector, that would be great! I searched NoVA high and low and could not find one. The dealership quoted me 1000 bucks, but that was for the full harness.

I don't know much about the NEO but I am guessing it is something like the VAFCII, I also have had an SAFCII and it is wired very similar. Do you even have any wires going to your plugs for the VIAS? What I am getting at is it looks like it is not even hooked up...maybe I just don't see the wires.

I assume you are using the stock ECU and not the DEK ecu right?
The Neo Combines both funtions of VAFC and SAFC. I do not know the difference due to ive only had the neo. Your right i do not have the wires or plug for that matter hooked up to it. I am running the 99 ecu/harness.

As far as my car just leaning out i took it to the shop, and the mechanic was baffled. He said that the only time hes seen something like this was with VW's. He also said that you will just have to tune it when the wideband goes lean or rich.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Blown

The Neo Combines both funtions of VAFC and SAFC. I do not know the difference due to ive only had the neo. Your right i do not have the wires or plug for that matter hooked up to it. I am running the 99 ecu/harness.
So that is why you are not making power...your VAIS is not opening because your neo is not hooked up.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Under the radar

So that is why you are not making power...your VAIS is not opening because your neo is not hooked up.

Seems to be. I wont know until next week or maybe past the DC meet coming up. Ive got a packed schedule starting tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Blown

I assume your VIAS is not opening at all right? When you rev the engine and hit the set rpm it does not open right?
Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Under the radar

I assume your VIAS is not opening at all right? When you rev the engine and hit the set rpm it does not open right?

Yeah thats right.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Did you everfigure this out? What was wrong?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

He had nothing controlling the VIAS. The black connector pictured about, it needs to have 12v running through it post 5k (In his case, possibly 5250 ). There is a wealth of information here on how to configure an '00vi swap.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Under the radar

Yeah i have it figured out, just not the time to mess with it right now, Ive gotta do oil change, alignment, and figure out why my clutch loses pressure with out losing fluid.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

......... Easiest way to avoid this is to leave them hoseless.
ABSOLUTELY!!