All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

75mm TB without an adaptor plate.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM

75mm TB without an adaptor plate.

Well after toying around with the idea of an aftermarket Mustang 75mm TB on my 3.5L swap for about a month I finally just did it. The throttle cables will go on top, but aside from looking odd I can't imagine it being a detriment in anyway. You'll have to switch to a mustang TPS, or make an adaptor for the 4th gen TPS.

**Edited**4th gen tps=.5-4kohm '00 4.6L tps=.6-3.8kohm I think they're close enough but they may not be. (They are, not just theory anymore It works. 2 weeks driving on it, haven't seen a problem yet)

The hardware part though, pretty much is confirmed. Here's the pics.

You have to move the throttle cable side holes maybe 4-5mm outboard to make it fit the 3.5L manifold.

On the bottom holes, use the TB as a template and drill and tap two 6x1.0 threaded holes below the factory ones.

That leaves you with this. Obviously some porting is neccesary.

The factory hole with the arrow pointing to it needs plugged it'll be closer to the opening than I would trust to seal.

I haven't finished the port matching yet, however there's plenty of material there. The coolant passage on the bottom will become vacuum, there's no doubt there, you can't get close enough without cutting into the passage. So either plug it or use it for a vacuum source.

Last edited by HM_Motorsports; 06-22-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:15 PM

The (almost) finished product.

I'll update as soon as I figure out the TPS deal.

Did some porting tonight. here's a rough idea of the work required.

The lower outside edge you have to be careful, it won't be completely flat, it's simply too thin. But with a little more work I think I can get it to be of minimal obtrusion. I haven't hit the coolant port either, which I was surprised, the passage must be smaller than I originally thought.

Not finished yet. I only had an hour or so tonight free to mess with it. I haven't done anymore on the cruise control yet other than look, but I've got some ideas now.

Last edited by HM_Motorsports; 05-29-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:17 PM

And the porting is done.

It clears everything, the throttle cable hooks up just fine and is in a great place for a bracket, ride by the top two bolts for the intake neck. Also in the picture below you can see the cruise is right by the extra hookup on the throttle cam. I just need to find one of the ends that hook to that. (probably off a mustang, I'll make a trip to the ford dealer tommorrow to see if you can just buy the end or have to get the whole cable)

And a shot straight through the open TB.

All and all, even if the Ford TPS doesn't work and I have to make an adaptor for the 4th gen TPS, this is relatively simple to do. It does require some time to port it all out but I have about $125 in the TB, TPS, and TPS pigtail all together. I never did hit the coolant port, but I like the idea of those two ends being vacuum so I probably will drill a hole to make them as such. Lemme know your thoughts!

***SIDE NOTE*** This thottle cam is a progressive type. The more you push the pedal the faster it opens. You only get about half the pedal travel you used to, which is either good or bad depending, my car was already touchy, now it'll be REALLY touchy. Plus you might want to make a pedal stop so you don't break the cable during WOT, or change the cable attachment to the pedal to be lower to gain back some travel. We'll see how it drives.

More on the TPS to come. Car should start this weekend. Taking a weeks vacation next week just to enjoy it!

Last edited by HM_Motorsports; 05-29-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM
nycnissans

very creative mod
Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Bacon Lover

Wow, very nice. It's cool that it works with little modification, too. I'm curious as to how stuff matches up, though, as it looks like part of the factory opening will actually be outside the walls of the new throttlebody (and consequently not used) but it seems like it would be a tiny part. I'll reserve that thought until I see the finished product, though.

You mind telling us specifically which throttlebody this is and where you got it from?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Wow, very nice. It's cool that it works with little modification, too. I'm curious as to how stuff matches up, though, as it looks like part of the factory opening will actually be outside the walls of the new throttlebody (and consequently not used) but it seems like it would be a tiny part. I'll reserve that thought until I see the finished product, though.

You mind telling us specifically which throttlebody this is and where you got it from?
I got it off Ebay. Seller is Performance Tuners. 75mm mustang throttle body. The top of the manifold is indeed above the opening, by about 1/4" I planned on angling the edge of the TB where it overlaps to smooth out the airflow. You can't match it completely without having material added to the manifold, but you can definately help its transition.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh **** yeah! This is awesome innovation!!! I'm psyched right now!! Also the side benefit of getting two more vacuum lines is awesome! One of them is perfect local' and size for Evap, and allthough small, the other one provides a nice alternative to drilling & tapping a 5/8"s hole in the back of the manifold for EGR. Oooh, this is awesome. I swear to god if you can get cruise on that puppy that would top it all off.

Re: tps. Does the stang one turn the other way? Mreaning, you need to be careful, I once foolishly mounted the max tps on the other side of the tb (because it's SOOOO much easier) even though I KNEW you couldn't do that. Boy did I feel like a tool when I had wot @ idle and vice versa.

FYI I have a tps off of an SN95 collecting dust, it's yours if you want it no shipping.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 05-27-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 AM

very nice
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Oh **** yeah! This is awesome innovation!!! I'm psyched right now!! Also the side benefit of getting two more vacuum lines is awesome! One of them is perfect local' and size for Evap, and allthough small, the other one provides a nice alternative to drilling & tapping a 5/8"s hole in the back of the manifold for EGR. Oooh, this is awesome. I swear to god if you can get cruise on that puppy that would top it all off.

Re: tps. Does the stang one turn the other way? Mreaning, you need to be careful, I once foolishly mounted the max tps on the other side of the tb (because it's SOOOO much easier) even though I KNEW you couldn't do that. Boy did I feel like a tool when I had wot @ idle and vice versa.

FYI I have a tps off of an SN95 collecting dust, it's yours if you want it no shipping.
EVAP exactly. On a side note, for you 3.5L swappers, if you enlongate the holes on the evap solenoid, it fits perfectly on the two bosses on the side of the head where the EGR used to be. (I'm not using the external EGR on my swap, if you are they may not be accessable.) Anyways, my Evap is directly below the TB so that port becomes handy. And cruise? DEFINATELY will get it working. I have a welder. and about 5 or 6 spare random throttle bodies, Something will work lol. I was ticked when my cruise didn't work after my 5 spd swap, and never had the time to track it down. When I removed the wiring harness for the engine swap, I saw I forgot to plug in the connector I had removed to get to the clutch master cylinder! Felt like an idiot. drove 12 hours last summer to NC on vacation without cruise because of a connector I forgot to plug in.

Back on topic lol. The TPS situation... the mustang TB actually does work backwards from the 4th gen TB, but my theory is this; if you take Ohm readings of the three wires, there's a power wire, signal, and ground. The resistance between power and signal act directly opposite of the resistance between signal and ground. For instance, when the resistance between power and signal is .5 kOhms the resistance between ground and signal will be 4kOhms and vice versa, so if the throttle body opens opposite of factory, just switch the power and ground wire. Voila! In theory. Anyone please feel free to correct my thinking. If my understanding is correct a TPS is a glorified Potentiometer so it doesn't care which side the power comes from. Once I actually am able to start the car (which hopefully will be tommorrow night or the next) I can verify or nullify these theories.

Thank you BTW for the offer on the TPS, however a brand new one at the local parts store is only 26 bucks, which is another benefit because if IIRC a 4th gen TPS is over $100, incidently the Ford TPS pigtail I got from the Ferd dealer to replace the 4th gen pigtail is $26 as well(which I stashed after I cut off in case this doesn't work).

I'll not be able to finish up tonight, but hopefully tommorrow night I'll have more complete pictures and a better idea of how to make the cruise work.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by HM_Motorsports
The resistance between power and signal act directly opposite of the resistance between signal and ground.
Speechless. Hope this works.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Speechless. Hope this works.
You and me both!!!! lol I miss my car.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Updated and added pictures to the top.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 AM

I never did hit the coolant port, but I like the idea of those two ends being vacuum so I probably will drill a hole to make them as such. Lemme know your thoughts!
I would be all over that, it will definitly simplify things.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:26 PM

Just a thought for the cruise, you could see if you can find a set up like what my 85 has.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by vernk
Just a thought for the cruise, you could see if you can find a set up like what my 85 has.
Now that would work too! One of my friends at the Ferd dealer is getting me a couple cable ends in that may work to just hook directly to the 4.6 TB but if that doesn't work, the 85 setup may be the ticket.

I have a pretty full schedual tonight and tommorrow but I'm gonna try my best to fire her up on Sunday so we'll know more about the TPS. That's the only big question now.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:14 PM

I dont want to sound like a **** but 75mm is too big even for a stock 4.6 mustang. We have done dyno's at school and seen drops in horsepower and torque because and an engine needs a certain amount of restriction to keep the air velocity up. Other than that I hope everything works. Just "food for thought" anyway.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by wagesgt903
I dont want to sound like a **** but 75mm is too big even for a stock 4.6 mustang. We have done dyno's at school and seen drops in horsepower and torque because and an engine needs a certain amount of restriction to keep the air velocity up. Other than that I hope everything works. Just "food for thought" anyway.
i don't think we have enough information about his goals to determine if it will or will not adversely affect (effect??) his performance.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by wagesgt903
I chose a 4.6L TB because of its simplicity, not because of its size neccesarily. the stock 3.5L TB is 70 mm, and there seem to be plenty of people running 70mm Pathy TB's in both a 4th gen and 4.5 gen application and at least on the 3.0L that's been dyno proven IIRC. Problem is, you need an adaptor plate, or with a 3.5 swap converting the factory DBW TB to cable. That entails a bracket for the TPS, and loss of cruise control. I started investigating the pathy TB and the cheapest one I found was $150. Slap an adaptor plate on there ( I have the means to make my own, but many do not) you've got $250+ in that. Which it works fine. Not knocking the PF TB setups at all, they work. And so do the converted DBW's. This is simply another option I am exploring. The porting is not perfect, it is NOT a true 75mm inside at least not straight. Which I kinda had an idea it would not be but I was hoping for a little closer. I only have $125 in it. some time. I'll still have cruise, and it looks clean (albeit a little weird with the cables on top). I know that air velocity does count, however, I also know that restriction in the intake path is not the way to improve upon it.

I'd like to see those dynos though. I know quite a few running around with 75's that seem to perform quite well.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM

ahh damn my 6th gen with DBW
Old 05-31-2008, 07:39 AM

I'd like to see those dynos though. I know quite a few running around with 75's that seem to perform quite well.

On top of that they aren't a VQ either.

HM, I'm hoping that you have done a decent SSIM on this upper and that you'e be willing to do a little something.......

I'd be willing to send you an SSIM'd upper with modified DBW to cable, to borrow, and swap it out at the dyno to see what just 5mm on the TB add's to an SSIM'd hybrid?
Old 05-31-2008, 03:49 PM

I may take you up on that KRRZ, I'd be interested to see, although not my intended purpose, I don't doubt it might add a little bit of top end. However, I did NOT do the ARP rod bolts so no extended Rev limit yet, plus Emanage has yet to be installed. The intake is SSIM'd(you can critique it, the pics are in my build thread) no port matching. So I don't know if we'd get the full potential without the extended rev limit, but I'm sure there's potential.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:03 AM

I'd like to see those dynos though. I know quite a few running around with 75's that seem to perform quite well.[/QUOTE]

Ill see what I can find, I already finished the class but it was just really weird to see a 4.6 mustang lose a pretty significant amount of hp and torque to throttle body sizing. It was something like 15 hp and 20 torque we lost at the wheels.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Seems to me that in addition to the SSIM, you would also need a larger MAF to fully take advantage of the larger TB.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 AM

Seems to me that in addition to the SSIM, you would also need a larger MAF to fully take advantage of the larger TB.
That will happen once Emanage is installed and I figure out how to do what Dandy did
Old 06-04-2008, 03:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ahh.. elimination of MAF altogether, FTW.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Exactly.

Sorry for the delay guys, I know I keep saying "tomorrow" but yet again I have to say the same thing. I tried to take vacation this week to finish the car, didn't work out, ended up working the first half of the week. But today I made Uber progress, would've made more except I decided to not put the PS pump on with the motor out, hoping to ease installation. WRONG!!!! (plus my Honda loving cohort trying to rebuild a jeep transfer case didn't turn out so well so got pulled away for that a little bit.) Anyways, it's in now. Got a couple of things to button up in the morning and with any luck I will have at least a preliminary report on whether the TPS works ok or not.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 PM

uh oh..... in for the final conclusion.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Final conlusion not so conclusive. Of course I did this along with a 3.5L swap to make it even more difficult to troubleshoot, many more variables. tonight I got everything back together, fluids in, and tried to start her up. Keyword: tried. It was 11:30 by the time we fixed a small fuel leak and finally cranked it over. Cranked really slow, didn't fire. Checked the battery, good; cables. Forgot the MAIN GROUND cable to the block. Felt like an idiot. Now it cranks really well. Still no fire. Checked all the harness connections, pulled codes, only tranny codes from the 5spd swap. Had them before. Timing light shows erratic spark, not steady at all. I have a feeling it's the CPS on the flywheel. I ground the block down, but it still sits higher than the factory one maybe 1/16 to 1/8". So may not have ground enough. Didn't have time to mess with it tonight. I'll have to go through and thoroughly diagnose it tom evening, but I don't suspect that the TPS would keep if from even trying to fire. I don't really care what it is as long as I don't have to re-time the thing in the car. Was kindof hoping that it'd just start right up and sing, no such luck lol. So yet again,,,tommorrow.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

New 90mm MAF for $79.95

You probably don't want jokes right now, but maybe a larger MAF would help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...m250257715496&

Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by grey99max
You probably don't want jokes right now, but maybe a larger MAF would help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...m250257715496&

That will happen once Emanage is installed and I figure out how to do what Dandy did
Originally Posted by Me
Exactly.
IBnojokefound
Old 06-10-2008, 09:58 AM

All this in the pursuit of..............better throttle response?

Just wondering what your expectations for this are. Great job with the innovation though.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
All this in the pursuit of..............better throttle response?

Just wondering what your expectations for this are. Great job with the innovation though.
Actually no. I couldn't find a used PTB locally for less than 200 bucks and I have plenty of customers with Mustangs so I thought I'd order a 75MM and see if it was possible. After all I'd still need an adaptor for the PTB so why not an adaptor for the 4.6L TB? So I ordered a 75mm one just to check it out. Stared at it on and off for a couple days and just so happened to hold it up sideways and fit pretty close. So then the TPS deal is just to be "adaptorless" so to speak. My only goal really was a clean install without hurting performance. It's relatively cheap and simple to do. Performance has yet to be determined, I honestly wouldn't expect much, maybe on a FI motor though?

Still haven't started the car. Sunday is the last day I got to mess with it. Still a no start for other reasons. I'll have time tommorrow hopefully. I'm cursed by forever having to say "Tomorrow"
Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 AM

Talking Tommorrow finally came!

The car started. Seems the CPS ring on the UDP was 180* off. After messing with the idle screws(I have 2 now) and cleaning the MAF the car runs almost perfect. Throttle response is great, runs smooth, idles at 650 at 14.7(LM1 confirmed)but has a habit of dying out when you quick rev and then let off. Seems to get better once it reaches temp. I'm sure with a little more adjustment it can be resolved.

One more issue easily resolved. It likes to stick above 4k. The spring on the TB isn't strong enough to close it fully, so sometimes it sticks open. I'll post pics tommorrow of my cable setup and if you make a bracket similar to mine it's very easy to just add a return spring.

Haven't driven it yet, it's 3am, and I still need to finalize a few things on the car before its road worthy(sticky throttle being one of them), but I can't wait.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:46 PM

First drive, friggen awesome. If the TB is a hinder to performance, I sure can't tell. Car runs smooth even with Solid motormounts. The spring was easy enough to mount, and the dying after free rev was resolved with a little more adjustment. It'll stumble a little bit, but hasn't died since. I probably could raise the idle to 750 or so and fix the stumble, but I was sick of adjusting and just wanted to drive my car lol. almost 4 months without it, totally worth it.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 PM

any up dates on this ?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 AM

Sorry I've been slowly compiling stuff, I'll get some pics up soon, just got done moving my shop yesterday, I don't have dynos yet, waiting for the emanage for that, I got the cruise to work by adapting a Ford cable end to my cruise cable. Wasn't hard at all. I'll try to get something up later today.