All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Not another teen 00vi! Pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not another teen 00vi! Pics inside!

So here we have yet another 00vi thread. Id first like to thank all of those bold explorers who came before me and mastered this swap and were generous enough to give us troves of how-tos and other info, without it I would never, ever consider attempting this. I cannot thank you guys enough!!

Currently, I am in the parts gathering and homework stage. I am still doing research on the Morg and doing my best to memorize as much information as i possibly can. It is my goal (however far fetched) to be able to pull this swap off without once having to go to the store. I want to be able to do this in one clean shot, over the course of 1-2 days of work.

I begin with what I have:

Pictured (everything is 5th gen) is the UIM, LIM, Fuel rail w/ injectors installed, rear valve cover, 2 gaskets for the LIM and 1 gasket for where LIM meets UIM, a VAFC2, and an Innovate LC2 Wideband w/ AFR gauge. There is also a spacer here. I know coils are missing, but those are payed for and being shipped.

I know I will also need a throttle body (and adapter if 4th gen), and an IACV adapter. I currently plan on using the 4th gen TB in my car as from what Ive read it is the cleanest set up, in regards to coolant lines, wiring, cables, and avoiding CEL. Im aware that I also need the 5th gen EGR guide tube, as well as most/all the bolts needed for installation.

I am wondering what else I need that I have not listed. Any recommended gaskets, pins, screws, hoses, wires, and all the tiny little things people forget about should be included.

I am also wondering if Ill also need a fuel rail adapter. Ive read many have used the existing barb successfully, however it does not appear that barb is present on my rail. There is also some wiring and sensors attached to one side of my fuel rail, is any of this needed, or is anything needed missing?

I also have these assorted junk parts:

Pictured are various tubes, brackets, a 5th gen IACV sensor, and another sensor I am unable to identify. My question is can anyone identify any parts in this "junk pile" that I should save and use?

Once I have everything together and I am fully versed on every facet of the install I will likely be doing a live install thread, as well as (another) write up, as to provide more resources and updated opinions/findings that one could use in conjunction with existing 00vi writeups.

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by Slamrod; 09-19-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Remove the swirl valves from the lim.
Cleanest setup is dek/pathfinder tb&iacv. Some cars don't play well with the newer iacv but it wouldn't hurt to try since you already have it.

This will help a lot with the vacuum lines http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8...07b23471_o.jpg

I'd keep the L shaped metal bracket and the hose around it, the U shaped hose near the AC line, (it goes between the pcv valve and the L shaped bracket mentioned above) as well as the IACV and gasket.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Remove the swirl valves from the lim.
Cleanest setup is dek/pathfinder tb&iacv. Some cars don't play well with the newer iacv but it wouldn't hurt to try since you already have it.

This will help a lot with the vacuum lines http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8522/8...07b23471_o.jpg

I'd keep the L shaped metal bracket and the hose around it, the U shaped hose near the AC line, (it goes between the pcv valve and the L shaped bracket mentioned above) as well as the IACV and gasket.
Stalker!

Thanks for the pic, that should help me alot.

As for removing the swirl valves, my car is a 99 cali, which has these present. Ive heard removing it is beneficial, however I really do not want to have CEL codes as passing inspection will be exceedingly difficult. Is there a way to delete this (either on the 4th gen or 5th) without having codes?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that if I kept the solenoid it would work out as the setup between that and the ECU is "primitive", as in it needs to know it exists and thats it. Would you be able to clarify this for me?

Also a very silly question but would I be able to use the spacer I have pictured, or will I also need the other spacers that tend to come in a kit? Not a huge deal as everything would be just fine without the spacer but if I can get that tiny drop of power with it and I already have it then why not.

Studying this 00vi stuff is like a part time job for me, all I know is im going to be bored as hell when I finally complete the swap.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 PM

Didn't realize you were installing this in a 99, it's entirely possible that it just needs the solenoid to not throw a code, but I can't say for sure. You could always cap the vacuum lines leading to the solenoid and test it out for yourself.

Yeah you can just install the single spacer.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Best of luck! I also just purchased a complete 00vi (all 5th gen), because I am gonna tune it with an emanage ultimate and I hear it gets the most power from that setup. If I get mine installed before you I will hit you up with a walkthrough. Im actually gonna make a video documentary on my install and then host it for anyone who wants to use it as a guide.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by MaxStock
Best of luck! I also just purchased a complete 00vi (all 5th gen), because I am gonna tune it with an emanage ultimate and I hear it gets the most power from that setup. If I get mine installed before you I will hit you up with a walkthrough. Im actually gonna make a video documentary on my install and then host it for anyone who wants to use it as a guide.
Good choice. I was able to knock off a total of .8 seconds off of my 1/4 mile time with the EU on my 00vi'd 4th gen.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM

I wouldn't use the 4th gen UIM to LIM rubber gasket with the 5th gen UMI to LIM. You will most likely have vacuum leaks.

You can leave the swirl valves in since they are normally open and only close with vacuum. I removed the butterflies and left the rods because I didn't want to use JB weld to fill the holes. You can have a shop weld the holes for you.

Make sure to do the VIAS fix. With intake off it's easier to get screws loose. once on the TB Cables block it. Also the screws like to strip out, get hex heads. I believe they are M5 x1.0???

In whitemax21's thread there is a good vacuum illustration for the EVAP, MAP, and EGR solenoids.

Good luck. Post how the Emanage works.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by simmers96
I wouldn't use the 4th gen UIM to LIM rubber gasket with the 5th gen UMI to LIM. You will most likely have vacuum leaks.
Its a NWP spacer in OP's picture.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just an update for you gents, money has been tight and with other little projects needing attention (namely a sorely needed catback) as well as me missing the a33 TB it may not be for a month or so until this swap officially begins.

However, that wont stop me from tinkering.

How would one go about cleaning the uim runners? The lim was quite easy, however with the length of the uim runners and the powerrod in there i dont know how i would go about cleaning the inside; im also a bit apprehensive about putting degreaser in there as the uim is composite material. Who has cleaned that film of crusty crud successfully and what did you use?

Silly question, but if i were to leave all the swirl valve junk intact but remove the butterflys in the LIM, would this effectivly disable my the swirl valve feature, or am i confusing different subjects?

And while i have your attention:

I fully understand the ideal placement for a wbo2 sensor would be on the y pipe a tad after where the forks meet. However, as my magnaflow cat has a bung on the very begining of itself (roughly an inch from the ypipe side flange), would i be able to get away with placing my sensor here? I know it wouldnt be the "best" option, but do you think the difference would be a dealbreaker? Since it would be located at the far front of the cat i cant imagine the heavy metals could screw the readings significantly. Opinions?

Thanks guys, and cool to see others currently in the process of doing this swap as well.

Edit: That is indeed a spacer in my pic. Above it is a bag with the proper a33 gaskets. Which leads me to the noob question of whether or not a gasket is used in conjuction with the spacer (my common sense screams yes but it couldnt hurt to ask)

Last edited by Slamrod; 09-24-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Silly question, but if i were to leave all the swirl valve junk intact but remove the butterflys in the LIM, would this effectivly disable my the swirl valve feature, or am i confusing different subjects?
This is what I did. I didn't want to use jb weld when I could remove the butterflies as you described. I don't think that leaving the rod in will affect air flow much to matter, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by whitemax21
This is what I did. I didn't want to use jb weld when I could remove the butterflies as you described. I don't think that leaving the rod in will affect air flow much to matter, but I could be wrong.
Sweet, this is what ill be doing tomorrow then.

Even if leaving the rod amounted to a loss of 1hp, id be fine with it knowing theres zero risk of jb weld being sucked into my engine.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Dude I'm glad you got everything in order!! This all looks great!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM

I fully understand the ideal placement for a wbo2 sensor would be on the y pipe a tad after where the forks meet. However, as my magnaflow cat has a bung on the very begining of itself (roughly an inch from the ypipe side flange), would i be able to get away with placing my sensor here? I know it wouldnt be the "best" option, but do you think the difference would be a dealbreaker? Since it would be located at the far front of the cat i cant imagine the heavy metals could screw the readings significantly. Opinions?

Thanks guys, and cool to see others currently in the process of doing this swap as well.

Edit: That is indeed a spacer in my pic. Above it is a bag with the proper a33 gaskets. Which leads me to the noob question of whether or not a gasket is used in conjuction with the spacer (my common sense screams yes but it couldnt hurt to ask)
As long as the wideband is before the cat, and the cat is not installed backwards, you will be fine.

Use RTV on the lim and the OEM gasket on the uim.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:55 AM

I have not started on my 00vi swap yet but is it entirely possible to leave the swirl valve alone and completely intact?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 PM

What are most people raising their rev limiter to after 00vi swap?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxStock
I have not started on my 00vi swap yet but is it entirely possible to leave the swirl valve alone and completely intact?
From what i know you can if you have a 99 cali specc. I think you need to delete it if you have anything else.

Regardless, the best option seems to be getting rid of as it makes you lose power.

As for rev limits, i think i remember reading 7200 rpm is widely accepted.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 PM

Thanks slamrod! Appreciate the info!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 AM

looks good my question is are you going to do a full swap or just use the dek parts on the stock motor ? and if you did get a dek i was wondering how much the engine ran you and where you acquired it. what kind of performance increase are you expecting to see? sorry if my questions are a bit noobish but later down the road i want to do a dek swap when i have money to do everything right like putting in another clutch when i swap and maybe even a lower mile manual transmission. also i heard the strut bar wont fit with the dek anyone work a way around this or did i just misinterpret what i read ? but like i said later down the road for now im like every other teen on the internet longing for a engine swap but not having the capital one day
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rickmastick
looks good my question is are you going to do a full swap or just use the dek parts on the stock motor ? and if you did get a dek i was wondering how much the engine ran you and where you acquired it. what kind of performance increase are you expecting to see? sorry if my questions are a bit noobish but later down the road i want to do a dek swap when i have money to do everything right like putting in another clutch when i swap and maybe even a lower mile manual transmission. also i heard the strut bar wont fit with the dek anyone work a way around this or did i just misinterpret what i read ? but like i said later down the road for now im like every other teen on the internet longing for a engine swap but not having the capital one day
The swap being discussed here is just the intake manifold and parts listed above from a DEK. Generally speaking this is what gives the DEK its lions share of power over the DE. However, a full engine swap would probably give you a little more gains but overall would be similar. Many opt for an 00vi rather than a full swap due to budget constraints and decreased difficulty.

As for all these parts, your local junkyard can help you out. Alternatively, you can commonly find parts in the classifieds subforums - i know theres at least two people selling setups.

As for an update on my progress, i am now only missing an EGR tube. Ive been pushing this swap further back to get some much needed repairs done. Since i just got a second job that pays well, i decided that i will be buying myself some good ol' cattman headers to install alongside the 00vi! I figured i might as well go all out now that money isnt as big of an issue. At this point i am also considering opting for a pathfinder TB setup and some NWP spacers - just toying with the idea for now.

Thanks for reading and sorry for having this swap in hibernation. In the meantime its always great to share tidbits of info and knowledge!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:23 PM

The swap being discussed here is just the intake manifold and parts listed above from a DEK. Generally speaking this is what gives the DEK its lions share of power over the DE. However, a full engine swap would probably give you a little more gains but overall would be similar. Many opt for an 00vi rather than a full swap due to budget constraints and decreased difficulty.

As for all these parts, your local junkyard can help you out. Alternatively, you can commonly find parts in the classifieds subforums - i know theres at least two people selling setups.

As for an update on my progress, i am now only missing an EGR tube. Ive been pushing this swap further back to get some much needed repairs done. Since i just got a second job that pays well, i decided that i will be buying myself some good ol' cattman headers to install alongside the 00vi! I figured i might as well go all out now that money isnt as big of an issue. At this point i am also considering opting for a pathfinder TB setup and some NWP spacers - just toying with the idea for now.

Thanks for reading and sorry for having this swap in hibernation. In the meantime its always great to share tidbits of info and knowledge!

Thanks for the info man the only problem I seem to have with my maxima is money hahah. I am a bike mechanic and don't make jack in the winter but I voulnter. But I am tapped out from recent upgrades leather subs =200 my car =1890 I love my maxima and have stomped on a couple people haha like this kid with a prety stock wrx ... Defiantly the most bang for my buck of a car I can only imagine what some more ponies and upgrades. that will come summer time. In the mean time I wanna fix up the rust and eventually rad support.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM

you have an 00vi?? ^^
Old 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kenc15
you have an 00vi?? ^^
If youre referring to me, I have all the parts minus EGR tube, just not installed yet. I need to fix pay off my water pump fix and then fix my rad support; after all that I will be saving up and buying some headers - possibly a PFTB and spacers as well.

However, I DO have three total 00' intake manifolds. One of them is missing the vias, and one is bored for a pathfinder TB. If you are looking for a manifold shoot me a PM and we'll talk.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 AM

no I was talking to the guy that beats stock wrxs.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:26 AM

thanks man but I selling my 00vi because I a full 3.5 swap
Old 11-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by kenc15
you have an 00vi?? ^^
Nope it's stock I got a after market air intake muffle and cat so she breathes good.! It was just a quick block it was a 2008 wrx he defiantly would have stomped me out in a long run but man does my car HOP in 1st literally hahah