All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Problem on my swapped 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM

Problem on my swapped 3.5

whats up guys.... i am really really confused...
car was running perfectly fine when i was going to a friends house, after about 3 hrs. it was time to go home and car would not start..... never happened before.
-it cranks fine, but will not turn over.
-checked the fuel pressure gauge and there is pressure, so im sure fuel is all good.

what can it be?
everytime i try to turn it on, it seems like its about to but it doesn't.
any clues? any thoughts appreciated.... thanx.

Peter
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM

#1- You got any codes coming up?
#2- Do you have an aftermarket alarm with a kill switch for the ignition?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 PM

ok update.... im done with the car, anyone wanna buy it?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM

I'll buy it if you get it to me and I can give you $500 for it.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
ShiftVQ35

got gas lol

Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
ok update.... im done with the car, anyone wanna buy it?
Damn man. Sorry to hear. i know you've been having problems for a while, why not just swap in a DEK and boost the ish out of it? lol
Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 AM

haha i can boost it actually.... and 500 no, dont be one of those low ballers.... haha
Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 AM
3.5 in the works

Why sell the car? Why not work through the problem logically through a process of elimination and fix it? Unless you're no longer enjoying the car, aside from the current problems..
Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
#1- You got any codes coming up?
#2- Do you have an aftermarket alarm with a kill switch for the ignition?
Afer market alarms have the kill switch on the starter not on the ignition. If the starter engages, then its not the alarm. This is a common misconseption about aftermarket alarms.

Turn on the ignition, listen for the fuel pump to prime. Check the fuel pressure if you have a guage.
Check to make sure the motor is getting spark.

Don't give up, thems the kicks of owning a hotrod. It takes a while to work out the bugs, then new bugs show up.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Offset Is Everything.

peter: try pulling the codes from the already on CEL. you might have a new one. try and get that chattering noise taken care of too if you can... i still think something in the timing area is off (pulleys, chain tensioner, etc.)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Play with my balls

Price? Of course if you're serious.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM

well as of right now i dont have time to work on it. i am extremely busy with school and work that i dont have time to work on it. My car is not even at my house, it is in anaheim about 40 mins away from where i live.
I really need a car pronto..!
i believe the cam adaptor pin broke off while i was trying to turn the car on. i checked for compression and got nothing, so im pretty sure that it is the adaptor. i have no time to redo the timing.
If it is the adaptor, i think i should get a free one.....
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 AM

best of luck fixing the problem but for one - dont sell the car lol. the way i look at it is that the amount of time we all put into our cars for wut theyre worth is priceless.

swap the new engine in get her running good with a tune and drive it till it rots!

as for the adapter talk to stephen max if thats who u got em from. if it is the problem.. i'm gonna start to panic bc theyre goin in my motor soon
Old 04-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by happy4444
best of luck fixing the problem but for one - dont sell the car lol. the way i look at it is that the amount of time we all put into our cars for wut theyre worth is priceless.

swap the new engine in get her running good with a tune and drive it till it rots!

as for the adapter talk to stephen max if thats who u got em from. if it is the problem.. i'm gonna start to panic bc theyre goin in my motor soon
yeah, he's the one i got it from.... if it is the problem, i hope he can at least give me a set for free....
if mine broke, doesn't that mean that my valves may have gotten bent? does anyone know?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:45 AM

yeah, he's the one i got it from.... if it is the problem, i hope he can at least give me a set for free....
if mine broke, doesn't that mean that my valves may have gotten bent? does anyone know?
They are only there for you to align the sprockets- once you torque down the cam sprocket bolts, the adapters cam and sprocket essentially become one piece, and thus when the chain turns the sprocket, there's no torsional force applied to the adapter, but the entire assembly.

So if you installed them correctly, they should not have broken off.

Even if they did break off, the only time they COULD have broken off is during tightening of the big cam bolt. In which case if they broke it would have been due to the sprocket rotating on the adapter (improper installation, I say that because I've had to do it twice on my motor already, and never had a problem). If this took place, the secondary timing chain's timing marks may not have lined up with the corresponding marks on the sprockets.

And yes we have interference motors, so if those timing marks are not lined up, you may just jam the valves into the pistons.... what's that "chattering noise" Mr.****s95SE was mentioning??????
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM

well i did hear some noise coming from the timing chain case for like 3 days and it went away... car was running perfectly fine after that for couple of days, and one afternoon it wouldn't start.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM

well i did hear some noise coming from the timing chain case for like 3 days and it went away... car was running perfectly fine after that for couple of days, and one afternoon it wouldn't start.
then it cant be the adapters. If they were broken from installation it would have been unable to start from day one. Unless the timing chain skipped a tooth, there's no mechanical reason why it would make noise one day, work fine for a few days, then not start. Could it have skipped a tooth?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
then it cant be the adapters. If they were broken from installation it would have been unable to start from day one. Unless the timing chain skipped a tooth, there's no mechanical reason why it would make noise one day, work fine for a few days, then not start. Could it have skipped a tooth?
i honestly have no idea what it could be... either way, i need to bring my car home and find time to work on it.
i do remember when i got the cam adaptor, the one where it had a small screw sticking out was a little bent, im not sure if that would make a difference at all.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so what happen peter did you get the car fix ???
Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM

i honestly have no idea what it could be... either way, i need to bring my car home and find time to work on it.
i do remember when i got the cam adaptor, the one where it had a small screw sticking out was a little bent, im not sure if that would make a difference at all.
i got my adapters this weekend i hate to say , but they aren't something id be proud of selling.. they could be a little nicer. i wouldnt be suprised if your adapter took a $hit on you. im debating on using mine or getting a machine shop to make them. keep us updated on the issue
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM

well... seems like i wont be getting the car in this week. probably next weekend.
i really dont know what it could be, but i can bet it probably is the cam adapter.
happy4444, i dont know what to tell ya, but if you do have a machine shop make it for you, at least you can have the piece of mind that the adapter will not fail.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:04 AM

so let see if we can get this straight.

Your car was running great then when you were leaving the car would not start?
You heard a rattling nose in the timing case area fora few days but the noise went away?
was that noise at specific time? (startup, idle, etc)

did you check to make sure you were getting fuel?
did you check to make sure your getting spark?

you did a compression test and got 0psi in all cylinders?
have you tested all cam/crank sensors?

you maybe flooding the engine too when your trying to crank, careful of that too
Old 04-21-2008, 03:14 PM

when cranking the car, the noise was very weird... it didn't sound normal... there is spark, my fuel gauge showed plenty of pressure, so i went ahead and did the compression test and got 0psi. I only checked cylinder 4 actually and nothing.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Did you use an impact wrench when disassembling the timing components? I've not seen a 3.5 cam break, but had plenty of customers bring cars in that had just had timing work done and the cams have cracked in half due to air tools being used or over torquing the sprocket bolts. Take the valve cover off and crank it even if by hand, make sure the cams are actually moving.

EDIT: also if the chain jumped, it could throw the valve timing off enough that it will not build compression at all, or very little.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by HM_Motorsports
Did you use an impact wrench when disassembling the timing components? I've not seen a 3.5 cam break, but had plenty of customers bring cars in that had just had timing work done and the cams have cracked in half due to air tools being used or over torquing the sprocket bolts. Take the valve cover off and crank it even if by hand, make sure the cams are actually moving.

EDIT: also if the chain jumped, it could throw the valve timing off enough that it will not build compression at all, or very little.
timing jumping teeth can be very possible.... can that cause the valves to hit the piston? how off does the timing have to be so that it will get ruined?
i have not used an impact wrench during the swap so i think im ok there
Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 PM

in an interference motor yes it can, and these are I believe, but it depends on how much it jumped. the only way to really tell is reset the timing and do a compression test. like I said it IS possible that it jumped unough that the valves aren't closing right on the compression stroke and you'll have no compression but they'll still be ok. without teardown though its hard to tell until you visually check the timing.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by HM_Motorsports

i broke a 3.5 cam with a breaker bar when tryin to remove.. i sent a few ppl pics and they were shocked... anythigns possible at this point. only way is to break her down again

HM.. u get my PM's???
Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

I was the one who diagnosed his engine. The engine had no compression on the front bank and didn't have time and was too dark outside to check rear(firewall side) bank. But from the cranking sound, I can tell there is compression on the rear bank. I had similar problem like this when I had coil plugs unplugged on front bank, but my engine still ran rough without front bank not firing at all. Anyways, we will need to open up the valve cover and see what's really going on inside.

Peter: hey, let me know when you're ready to tow your car to home. You shouldn't leave your car there for too long.

Last edited by juani; 04-24-2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:44 AM

if you guys have check everything externally and are still stumped then it maybe time to open the valve cover and take a look and pull out the motor if needed.

seems hard to believe that the car is running fine and then a couple hours later it has major internal issues that causes the car to not run. If it cut off which driving and then wouldnt start thats a different story.

can skip timing, or break a valve if the car isnt running. there are some factors that would cause a motor to register no compression but have be functional (internally). Swap sensors with a functional max (cam/crank).

or just set aside a day and yank it out and tear down and examine.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

Also Peter told me that when engine didn't start for the first time, cranking sounded normal as if car ran out of gas. But when I got there to check it, it sounded like engine had compression problem which it actually was. Any idea what could've happened to the engine while car was sitting at the parking lot, not running?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 AM

if there was/is internal issues, when cranking it could have made it worse (now that I think about it).

double check your getting fuel. make sure the injectors themselves and spraying fuel (visual confirm), the FPR can read but there maybe a block at the injectors or ground issue etc.

make sure the motor isnt flooded.

My Money is on that there is no internal issue, its something external
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

The whole front bank had no compression, so we will need to fix that first, if Peter decides to fix it. Can any external problem cause no compression condition??
Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 AM

bad cam/crank signal is a possibility. actually thats about it, as long as the coils work, I can think of anything else that would interfere with spark which could interfere with compression.

there are 4-8 (cant remember) bolt for the fuel rail. un bolt it and pull up the injectors and try cranking and have someone look and make sure they see the injector spray fuel. if it sprays then you have air/fuel/spark and external options get limited.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

I just remembered that when we were there, the engine back fired while we were cranking it. I assume injectors are spraying, but I'll visually check on it.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:33 AM

that backfire could be a number of things. if it back fires repeatedly that would be a sign of bad timing.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM

on the timing being off. If the coils weren't firing at all the fuel would eventually wash down the cylinder walls and cause low compression, however you still should register something at least. quick check, last resort, remove the spark plugs and put a small amount of either thick oil, or ATF down in the cylinders, check your compression again, (this is of course assuming you've verified spark, or lack there of) if there's still no compression then tear into the timing case.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:23 AM

thanx guys for all the responses. Sorry for the late reply...
Im really wondering what it is, and it will obviously require sometime to look at all these factors.
John, haha, my car is still in anaheim... i spoke to my friend, she said that it is still there.... I have a friend that is going to help me with the towing, apparently he upgraded his AAA insurance that is now offering him a 100 mile tow so i will be using that, but it'll be sometime next week.
Another problem is i dont have a place to work on it.... for sure it wont work where i live. This community are a-holes to anyone that does anything to their car and my garage is full of my uncles business supplies so that is out of the question too.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:24 AM

damn. where did you do that swap?
Hope you get to look at it soon and figure out the problem. Your car look too nice to be at the side of the road or broken down
Old 04-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
damn. where did you do that swap?
Hope you get to look at it soon and figure out the problem. Your car look too nice to be at the side of the road or broken down
I did the swap at a friends place but he moved to a non-garaged place now... bummer.
lol thanx Deezy.... i know... its a beauty without any strength.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 AM

no prob. keep us posted

Quick Reply: Problem on my swapped 3.5