All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

My n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Found the culprit, here is the pics of chips STA509A burned.

I couldn't focussed more, don't know why. My daughter played with my camera and changed the setting.

Last edited by doublea; 08-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM

I found an e-bay seller who has 10 of those chips, but there is the following code on my ECM chip, SK4n24 on the first line and underneath STA509A.

The e-bay seller sell the STA509A but on the first line of the chip it is SK 1001. Does anyone know if it's the same chip ?

Here is the e-bay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STA509A-/250...ht_4265wt_1360

What I want to do is order at least 2 chip and solder a socket so if it burned again I will just need to pop the chip and voilą.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Maybe the chip that gets fried also stores ignition maps? We don't know but I would think it might be somehow related.
If the chip with the maps gets fried, that would be the end game for the ECU. There should be isolation built in to protect something like that from happening. It's more likely that damage to the chip for the IACV is causing problems for the amplifier chip that controls the coils.

AA,

If you can find the parts, I can replace the chips for far less than AvPro. How does the board look? Is it badly burned? If there is any soot, try to wipe it off the board if you can. If you replace the chips, there is no guarantee that it will work. There could be other, non-visible damage to internal traces on the board or other ICs. If I were you, I would try to get a different ECU. At least it looks like you found the cause of your headache.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by doublea
I found an e-bay seller who has 10 of those chips, but there is the following code on my ECM chip, SK4n24 on the first line and underneath STA509A.

The e-bay seller sell the STA509A but on the first line of the chip it is SK 1001. Does anyone know if it's the same chip ?

Here is the e-bay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STA509A-/250...ht_4265wt_1360

What I want to do is order at least 2 chip and solder a socket so if it burned again I will just need to pop the chip and voilą.
Those other numbers can be date codes or lot numbers. As long as it is a STA509A MOSFET Array, it should work. Sanken is the manufacturer. That's probably what the SK stands for.

I like the socket idea.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
Those other numbers can be date codes or lot numbers. As long as it is a STA509A MOSFET Array, it should work. Sanken is the manufacturer. That's probably what the SK stands for.

I like the socket idea.
Ok, got the point. I just ordered the 2 chip from an e-bay seller in Texas @ 6.95$ each.

I'm going to buy the socket from a local electronic outlet store.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome. It's probably going to take a week to get the chips and solder it.

A big Thanks again to Kevlo911, ajm8127 and all the others who contribute to help me with the build. It's been a long journey and without all the helps I received here it wouldn't had been possible to do this, so I'm very thankful to all of you guys.

Cheers and talk you soon.

AA
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM

Ok, got the point. I just ordered the 2 chip from an e-bay seller in Texas @ 6.95$ each.

I'm going to buy the socket from a local electronic outlet store.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome. It's probably going to take a week to get the chips and solder it.

A big Thanks again to Kevlo911, ajm8127 and all the others who contribute to help me with the build. It's been a long journey and without all the helps I received here it wouldn't had been possible to do this, so I'm very thankful to all of you guys.

Cheers and talk you soon.

AA
One last thing. I can't remember if there is conformal coating in that area of the board or not, but you need to remove it before you solder. Chemtronics makes a pen that removes most types of conformal coatings:

http://www.chemtronics.com/products/...r=3&m=2&id=123
Old 08-04-2011, 11:00 AM

One last thing. I can't remember if there is conformal coating in that area of the board or not, but you need to remove it before you solder. Chemtronics makes a pen that removes most types of conformal coatings:

http://www.chemtronics.com/products/...r=3&m=2&id=123
Good call, I just checked and there is conformal coating where the chip is, I found a place to get it along with the Hakko-888 soldering station, the soldering station I have is quite old and it's a good time to replace it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Kevlo for President

Good stuff. The dip socket idea is a good one. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. Maybe you could put a fuse or a diode on the wire that causes the short?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Good stuff. The dip socket idea is a good one. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. Maybe you could put a fuse or a diode on the wire that causes the short?
Michel the Nissan tech made the same suggestion, but he said that I could just use a thin copper wire like a filament, he said this way if the IACV goes wrong it won't short the ECM again. But I like the idea of putting a fuse or diode, I just need to know which resistance is require to make sure the chip doesn't burned again. I'll see what he have to say about it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Kevlo for President

http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic15761

Use that. But I dunno if that will = the amps it takes to burn out the chip. Might have to check the chip specs and see the max amps it can take.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 AM

http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic15761

Use that. But I dunno if that will = the amps it takes to burn out the chip. Might have to check the chip specs and see the max amps it can take.
Very interesting, I'm keeping the link. The other thing I'm wondering, since my car wont be driven in winter, could I just run without the IACV ? In that case I need to understand how so set up the idle and what's the effect on the ECU.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Kevlo for President

Yes you can but I don't like the way the car warms up without the IACV and you will have a CEL. You can adjust the TB set screw to about 800rpm and that should be enough, but I still prefer the IACV for the bumps at low rpms for the AC and power steering.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Yes you can but I don't like the way the car warms up without the IACV and you will have a CEL. You can adjust the TB set screw to about 800rpm and that should be enough, but I still prefer the IACV for the bumps at low rpms for the AC and power steering.
Does by passing the coolant lines come to the same as removing the IACV ?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I did this all on my car, it takes it better on the 5th gens for some reason...maybe cause of the IM...or my grounding kit...have no real idea. Its really not that bad, car won't stall.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 08-06-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM

I'm going to consider all options. Some people asked me to post more pics, those are fresh from this morning.

Last edited by doublea; 08-06-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:43 PM

The FSM states that the nominal resistance of the IACV is 22 ohms per coil. 14 volts / 22 ohms = 0.636 amps. A unipolar stepper motor will energize two of the coils at once so the minimum current drawn will be no less than about 1.3 amps through the red wire that feeds power the the IACV. I think a 2 or 3 amp fuse put inline with the red wire before it spilts to the two sets of coils in the IACV would be sufficient to prevent further failures of the STA509A MOSFET array in the ECU. Page EC-327 in the 2000 FSM has a diagram of the IACV circuit.

You can get a mini blade fuse holder and mini blade fuses for pretty cheap.

The thing is the problem with the IACV was a manufacturing issue that has more than likely been resolved. I wouldn't think that the new IACV you got is going to give you the same problem.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Kevlo for President

I agree with ajm.

And removing the coolant lines will not do anything.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 AM

The FSM states that the nominal resistance of the IACV is 22 ohms per coil. 14 volts / 22 ohms = 0.636 amps. A unipolar stepper motor will energize two of the coils at once so the minimum current drawn will be no less than about 1.3 amps through the red wire that feeds power the the IACV. I think a 2 or 3 amp fuse put inline with the red wire before it spilts to the two sets of coils in the IACV would be sufficient to prevent further failures of the STA509A MOSFET array in the ECU. Page EC-327 in the 2000 FSM has a diagram of the IACV circuit.

You can get a mini blade fuse holder and mini blade fuses for pretty cheap.

The thing is the problem with the IACV was a manufacturing issue that has more than likely been resolved. I wouldn't think that the new IACV you got is going to give you the same problem.
Reading your suggestions teach me good, are you an electrical or electronic engineer ? I have a vey basic knowledge of electronics that I have learned thru year but I'm quite impress with the logic shown here. I can certanaly do that so I'm going to order the mini blade fuse holder and a few mini blade fuse. Now that you make me think about the IACV, I remember that the IACV in place before it blew was almost brand new, I'd like to confirm what was wrong with it, as I understant there are 2 possible causes, the IACV gasket that fail and the step motor that go south. I'm going to remove the TB and take a look at the IACV, I remember there was a coolant leak underneath the car, at some point I thought it was the coolant line on the engine side that was leaking, maybe I was wrong and the leaking it from the IACV, going to check that this morning.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Kevlo for President

I have bypassed the coolant line from the TB/IACV. If you suspect the coolant shorting out the IACV, I suggest you bypass it as well.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Reading your suggestions teach me good, are you an electrical or electronic engineer ? I have a vey basic knowledge of electronics that I have learned thru year but I'm quite impress with the logic shown here. I can certanaly do that so I'm going to order the mini blade fuse holder and a few mini blade fuse. Now that you make me think about the IACV, I remember that the IACV in place before it blew was almost brand new, I'd like to confirm what was wrong with it, as I understant there are 2 possible causes, the IACV gasket that fail and the step motor that go south. I'm going to remove the TB and take a look at the IACV, I remember there was a coolant leak underneath the car, at some point I thought it was the coolant line on the engine side that was leaking, maybe I was wrong and the leaking it from the IACV, going to check that this morning.
I currently am a student of electrical engineering, but have kept electronics as a hobby for almost two decades now. I currently work in the manufacturing industry as an electronics test technician.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Waiting for parts to arrive so I can fix that ECM. in the mean time, I have a Mishimoto oil catch can that I want to install, should i hook the hose on the front valve cover vent or in the rear where the PCV is, I think there is probably more oil thru the PCV, but now what
if I hook both to the catch can, I can just put a T adaptor before the catch can. What do you think ?

Edit: I took of the TB and IACV, I wanted to figure what could have cause the ECM to blow. The was no coolant in the TB and the gasket on the new IACV is fine and everything was torque to spec. Then what cause the ECM to blew, if you remember I was able to start the engine 3 or 4 time with the initial IACV ( it was a brand new IACV ), the engine was running crap but was still running. People agree that there is 3 cause for the ECM failure:

1- Coolant get into TB ( bad gasket )
2- Step motor has a short circuit for whatever reason ( draw too much amp or short circuit )
3- Electric motor mount that go south and blow the ECM

In my situation there was no coolant in the TB ever, either for the first IACV or the replacement one, btw both where brand new and from the first engine start I had a new IACV on the TB but engine was running crap. The electric motor mount have been deleted before I put the rebuild engine back into the car, so that eliminate this possibility. I have checked the continuity on the IACV harness/plug and nothing there, would it mean that the ECM blew the last time I shut off the engine 4 1/2 years ago ? I don't recall starting the car back then and having the rpm shooting all over. At that time I had the old TB /IACV and the electric motor mount but they where disconnected? It's really hard to figure out, and I don't want to guess, otherwise the ECM is going to blow again. One of the possibility I have to check is if one of the step motor on the 2 new IACV has a short circuit, that's all I can figure out. I will put some mini blade holder/fuse at the ECM level, but let say the fuse blow, then there must be a short circuit somewhere but where ?

Last edited by doublea; 08-08-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 AM

I have bypassed the coolant line from the TB/IACV. If you suspect the coolant shorting out the IACV, I suggest you bypass it as well.
Ok got it done, I took the outlet from the coolant pipe and hook it up to the coolant pipe inlet. Now do I have to close the 2 nipples on the IACV ? I would think so just to make sure nothing get in there, dirt, spider or whatever small creature's looking for a home. Lol My car will be stored in the heated garage from nov thru april.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Kevlo for President

Just get some rubber caps and put um on the ends.

Like those.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Just get some rubber caps and put um on the ends.

Like those.
I like this idea, a little more on the shopping cart.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM

I just bought a new welding station, I got it for 60$ from a local electronic store, at first I was looking to get an Hakko, but the dealer is too far from my home and it's twice the price for almost the same thing. I don't remember the brand I got but it has the digital temp setting, it can heat up to 480F. The iron has a small tips and look to be of good quality. I purchase a 10 pin socket that I will solder to the board and snap the Mosffet chip in there, got a couple of fuse holder to protect the circuit for future fail. I also got a magnifier lamp to see what I'm doing cuz my eyes are no longer what they use to be. Lol Now I just wait for the Mosffet chip to arrive.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM

I received the 2 Mosfet chip, I'm going to try to work this out today.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Hey doublea, I went to the scrappers last weekend and someone had scooped out the Auto ECU. I think I might head over again this weekend. Let me know if your still interested in a backup.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Kevlo for President

I received the 2 Mosfet chip, I'm going to try to work this out today.
Get it done?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by OC_Nooby
Hey doublea, I went to the scrappers last weekend and someone had scooped out the Auto ECU. I think I might head over again this weekend. Let me know if your still interested in a backup.
I have found one locally, the guy want 100$ which is quite reasonable, he didn't confirm if it had the TC but it was for a 2001 auto. Unless you get one for 50$ I think I might be ok but I'll confirm later today.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Get it done?
I unsoldered the chip yesterday, but I need to do some repairs on the board. What I did it gently bent the burned chip right to left until the pins broke, then I unsolder each pin one at a time, but one of the pin came off with 1/8" of circuit contact, so I need to get some very thin wire and make some bypass to repairs this. At this point I'm close to reach my incompetency level but it's too late to go back so I'll do my best and if that doesn't work I may send it to one of the guy on the forum and see if he can fix it for me. I want to have 2 ecu working and programmed for my keys, if anything goes wrong I will just need to swap the ECU which I will carry in the car for any eventuality. I'm working on this today, will post fresh pics later.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Kevlo for President

Sorry about your friend man, i hope well for their family.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Kevlo, it kind of hit us all like a train.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:38 AM

I deleted the message concerning my friend who's now on the other side, it's time to let him go.

Thanks for the good words.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I'm going to send the ECU to get fixed asap, I have unsoldered the chip but there is a bit of repair to do on the circuit board and time is something I don't have any more. I have started school a week ago in order to get my licence as a construction general contractor. I need to concentrate on study every night sometime past midnight and I take this very seriously, so it is first thing first. I'm going to send the ECU this coming friday to one of the guy that was refer to me. Once this is done, my friend Michel with is a Nissan tech will come back with the Consult II computer to do all the programming and updates. I want to finish the assembly of everything that I can do and the rest will be perform by GMS a local reputable shop ( muffler, windshield, alignment, suspension adjustment, coolant leaks etc. ) Body works and paint will be perform by another shop witch has not be determined yet. Once I have my general contractor licence in november, I'm going to be very busy with projects and will not have the free time I use to have for the last 6 months. I already have done close to 5000 hours on this project and it is now time that it come to an end. I will still have stuff to do but that will mostly be cosmetic, sound system etc, stuff that can be done within few hours or on week-end.

I guess that's it for now.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Keep your head up A!

I'm glad to see a man with such devotion taking all the time to iron out all the fine details.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
Keep your head up A!

I'm glad to see a man with such devotion taking all the time to iron out all the fine details.
This was something I wanted to do since I was 16, I'm glad I did it even if it's not completed yet. I wanted to drive the car this summer but even with all the dedication I put it was not enough, no big deal it will be for spring 2012 but hopefully the car will be completed as completed can be.

Thanks

AA
Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM

I did some more work over the week-end, I'm now just waiting to ship the ecu. The rear end is finished beside the second muffler. I'll post pics of the diamond plating of the rear underneath, later tonight.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Kevlo for President

Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM

The referred guy, to repair the ECU has not return my called or answered my e-mail yet so still waiting to ship the ECU. If I don't hear back within a day or two I'll call another company. I hope to get this fix asap.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Kevlo for President

What about those ebay ones?

Quick Reply: My n/a project