All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Suprastick V4 The latest weapon for automatics

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suprastick V4 The latest weapon for automatics

Ok guys after spending a lot of time and money last year I ended up using an automatic shifter dubbed shift-fast for my automatic transmission.. It is just some relays connected to a RPM switch (Emanage\UTEC\MSD). It works fine, it allows me to shift at any RPM I desire automatically which is great for the track. However it doesn't control the converter lockup and I have to use the exact same shift RPM for each gear. The trans takes longer to shift from 2-3 than from 1-2 so the RPM is higher for the 2-3 shift, not exactly what I want. I was trying to come up with another way while watching the snow fall and although using 2 window switches would solve part of the problem its just more wiring and relays. Grey99 has also spent a lot of time working on the automatic shift-fast and has his own version working quite well.

I decided to do some searching to see if anyone else had come up with an easier solution. After a few hours of searching I ran across a device made for the automatic Supra that does it all. Suprastick V4. Individual shift points for each gear, torque converter control for each gear, 2 maps (one for race one for normal), manual shift mode using paddles or switches, shift light, automatic protection from downshifting. It is a complete standalone TCU programmable via a PC. I have been in contact with the President and Chief Design Engineer Garrett Rowe who assures me he can easily change the code so it will work with the Maxima shift pattern.

It will be April before I will get a chance to try it out but I ordered one today away and may install it earlier if we get warm day. I think this is the greatest mod ever for our auto and is far above anything I had dreamed of creating. Oh ya the price is $350, Jim Wolfe wants $500 just to raise the shift point. Latent Solutions (Suprastick) has an excellent customer support in all the forums I have read. Am I getting paid for this? No I am paying the same price as you, I just believe it is the best and cheapest total solution for our auto's. http://www.latentsolutions.com/

You can download the user manual as well if you are interested.

PS Please no comments from the manual trans guys, if you wanted to go faster you would already have swapped to an auto.

Last edited by Jime; 12-07-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Interesting. I thought the UTEC was able to raise the shift points.

Did you customize your order? If so what information you provided so that can properly build it.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 AM

Great news Jim, glad you're back in the game already..
Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jime
Ok guys after spending a lot of time and money last year I ended up using an automatic shifter dubbed shift-fast for my automatic transmission.. It is just some relays connected to a RPM switch (Emanage\UTEC\MSD). It works fine, it allows me to shift at any RPM I desire automatically which is great for the track. However it doesn't control the converter lockup and I have to use the exact same shift RPM for each gear. The trans takes longer to shift from 2-3 than from 1-2 so the RPM is higher for the 2-3 shift, not exactly what I want. I was trying to come up with another way while watching the snow fall and although using 2 window switches would solve part of the problem its just more wiring and relays. Grey99 has also spent a lot of time working on the automatic shift-fast and has his own version working quite well.

I decided to do some searching to see if anyone else had come up with an easier solution. After a few hours of searching I ran across a device made for the automatic Supra that does it all. Suprastick V4. Individual shift points for each gear, torque converter control for each gear, 2 maps (one for race one for normal), manual shift mode using paddles or switches, shift light, automatic protection from downshifting. It is a complete standalone TCU programmable via a PC. I have been in contact with the President and Chief Design Engineer Garrett Rowe who assures me he can easily change the code so it will work with the Maxima shift pattern.

It will be April before I will get a chance to try it out but I ordered one today away and may install it earlier if we get warm day. I think this is the greatest mod ever for our auto and is far above anything I had dreamed of creating. Oh ya the price is $350, Jim Wolfe wants $500 just to raise the shift point. Latent Solutions (Suprastick) has an excellent customer support in all the forums I have read. Am I getting paid for this? No I am paying the same price as you, I just believe it is the best and cheapest total solution for our auto's. http://www.latentsolutions.com/

PS Please no comments from the manual trans guys, if you wanted to go faster you would already have swapped to an auto.
Wow that sounds amazing. I'm definatly going to look into this. Now that I'm thinking about it this may have been somehting I could use on the Z.

LOL @ the maual guys comment!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by speed racer
Interesting. I thought the UTEC was able to raise the shift points.

Did you customize your order? If so what information you provided so that can properly build it.
The UTEC only controls the engine, I just used one of its outputs to trigger a relay at a preset RPM and the relay switched the power to the trans solenoid. As I mentioned in my post it can be done with a window switch or the EU as well.

If you order just mention my name and that is for a Maxima, I already gave him the info for the shift pattern.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

Jime great find. Now does this completely take control of the auto tranny? ie... removes the oem TCU function? Or is it a type of TCU piggy back? I notice due to the name, it's mainly for the Toyota Supra and you mention they are going to make one for your maxima. I wonder what the G35 applications are?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Jime great find. Now does this completely take control of the auto tranny? ie... removes the oem TCU function? Or is it a type of TCU piggy back? I notice due to the name, it's mainly for the Toyota Supra and you mention they are going to make one for your maxima. I wonder what the G35 applications are?
Yes this can be a complete standalone if you want. However I don't think it will work on the 5 spd auto because they specifically say it will only control a 2 shift solenoid setup.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
SLOW

Well I was going to comment and say it sounds badass but I guess i'm not allowed to since I own a manual transmission car
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Well, well - look what you found! The functions do indeed sound like what every automatic needs at the track. Thanks for sharing.

I found a couple of ways to make my Shift_Fast_2 work better - if you open the drop-resistor before staging, internals pressure goes way up. Then I used a MSD 8969 to shift every gear at the same RPM - 6400 with the stock ECU - and by cutting the nitrous spray when the MSD reached its' set-point, and re-engaging spray after shifting (just a blip in power), I got the transmission to shift very hard and very fast for both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The slicks would squeal and spin going into 3rd gear.

I never had time to figure out what would be best for the torque converter, but when it locks by direct solenoid control, it really pulls the car - just like a manual transmission. I was surprised how well that worked. I just don't know how to use it, yet.

My version cost about $150 total for the MSD and a handful of parts. If the Suprastick modded for Maximas gives a way to cut nitrous at the shift along with the other features, then having two different shift points is a bargain for $350.

An impressive find, Jim....

Old 12-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
I found a couple of ways to make my Shift_Fast_2 work better - if you open the drop-resistor before staging, internals pressure goes way up. Then I used a MSD 8969 to shift every gear at the same RPM - 6400 with the stock ECU - and by cutting the nitrous spray when the MSD reached its' set-point, and re-engaging spray after shifting (just a blip in power), I got the transmission to shift very hard and very fast for both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. The slicks would squeal and spin going into 3rd gear.

I never had time to figure out what would be best for the torque converter, but when it locks by direct solenoid control, it really pulls the car - just like a manual transmission. I was surprised how well that worked. I just don't know how to use it, yet.

My version cost about $150 total for the MSD and a handful of parts. If the Suprastick modded for Maximas gives a way to cut nitrous at the shift along with the other features, then having two different shift points is a bargain for $350.

An impressive find, Jim....

I did the drop resistor trick too and the setup I have works very well, I just think it can be better. From what I have been reading guys are setting up the lockup just like the nitrous, cut just before the shift and engage right after. You could probably hook the nitrous control to it, I will save that for later. Apparently shifting with the converter locked is pretty hard on the internals so I have been turning it on and off manually but that is not great for consistent times and that is what I'm after. Next year I am setting up my car for the 12.90 index class and running all other races with that setup. I will probably have to reduce my shift point back to 5300 like I did this year so my engine and tranny should have an easy time.

I am a sucker for new toys. Besides you can connect the serial port to a 16x2 serial display for an in car display of the current mode, gear, lockup, throttle, mph, and rpm!

Last edited by Jime; 12-07-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

I did the drop resistor trick too and the setup I have works very well, I just think it can be better. From what I have been reading guys are setting up the lockup just like the nitrous, cut just before the shift and engage right after. You could probably hook the nitrous control to it, I will save that for later. Apparently shifting with the converter locked is pretty hard on the internals so I have been turning it on and off manually but that is not great for consistent times and that is what I'm after. Next year I am setting up my car for the 12.90 index class and running all other races with that setup. I will probably have to reduce my shift point back to 5300 like I did this year so my engine and tranny should have an easy time.
So do you think that the TQ should be engaged at launch, midway thru first, into second ?????? When the Edge converter locks, it LOCKS. I can see why it's a good idea to drop the TQ just at shift, to save the tranny, but then what? Engage right away or wait until a certain RPM for that gear and lock up again? If you waited, you might turn 3 gears into 6 gears..

As long as you're not spraying, there could be an ignition or injector cut-off at shift RPM - the tranny would be grateful...

Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by grey99max
So do you think that the TQ should be engaged at launch, midway thru first, into second ?????? When the Edge converter locks, it LOCKS. I can see why it's a good idea to drop the TQ just at shift, to save the tranny, but then what? Engage right away or wait until a certain RPM for that gear and lock up again? If you waited, you might turn 3 gears into 6 gears..

As long as you're not spraying, there could be an ignition or injector cut-off at shift RPM - the tranny would be grateful...

It appears that the guys using this are just unlocking the converter to launch and to shift. I will have to experiment I guess and see what works best.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
3.5 in the works

I am a sucker for new toys.
Ain't that the truth! lol

Just think, all this time, effort and money for you auto guys and you could swap in a manual, put more power to the ground, launch higher and go faster. Oh and better mileage...

Sorry couldn't resist, and you invited it anyways... lol

But seriously, all kidding aside, nice work! What would the auto guys do without your pioneering efforts...
Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

It appears that the guys using this are just unlocking the converter to launch and to shift. I will have to experiment I guess and see what works best.
I know that when I locked the TQ, the engine dropped about 900 RPM - something like that - and that's with a 2800-stall Edge converter. Yes, it's trial-and-error time again....

I did notice that when my 3.5 is WOT and is shifting with the original manual shift_fast, the extra power over the 3.0 makes the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts slower than before - about like a 75-shot used to be. Maybe another reason for an ignition-cut at shift-time ???

Old 12-07-2007, 12:34 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Just think, all this time, effort and money for you auto guys and you could swap in a manual, put more power to the ground, launch higher and go faster. Oh and better mileage...

Seems at least one automatic has to throttle way back so as not to go too fast !

"I will probably have to reduce my shift point back to 5300 like I did this year so my engine and tranny should have an easy time." said Jime..
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Innovation yet again, Jim. If only I could afford such a thing and justify it :\
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
No more Maximas...

I wonder what the 'street' shift points are set at...

The stock TCM samples about 54 thousand variables; load, throttle angle, RPM, gear, speed, coolant temp (IIRC), trans fluid temp, etc.

Maybe the 'suprastick' device shifts at a set RPM only on the 'street' map? Or if you have to tap into all of those inputs...actually, after installing an EU, that should be cake.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
I wonder what the 'street' shift points are set at...

The stock TCM samples about 54 thousand variables; load, throttle angle, RPM, gear, speed, coolant temp (IIRC), trans fluid temp, etc.

Maybe the 'suprastick' device shifts at a set RPM only on the 'street' map? Or if you have to tap into all of those inputs...actually, after installing an EU, that should be cake.
The shift points of the Suprastick are based on a RPM/speed/gear map the rest is really not significant, especially for me. The manual which is downloadable shows the map clearly.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 PM
No more Maximas...

The shift points of the Suprastick are based on a RPM/speed/gear map the rest is really not significant, especially for me. The manual which is downloadable shows the map clearly.
Ah, didn't even think to look at it, thanks. Then again, just like you I really only care about the 'race' map, WOT upshifting 1/4 at a time...

Glad to see you're recovering, Jime.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Why would this be better than installing a Transgo shift kit (if it is)? I've had shift improver kits in a Chevelle and a Cutlass and they gave me pretty good control of the shifting, not to mention how much quicker they made the car shift.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Why would this be better than installing a Transgo shift kit (if it is)? I've had shift improver kits in a Chevelle and a Cutlass and they gave me pretty good control of the shifting, not to mention how much quicker they made the car shift.
Quicker and easier, basically. Plus, today's trans(axles|missions) are completely electronically controlled, a good way to keep the trans doing what you want it to do rather than doing it at a physical level, where the TCM may go crazy.

With line pressure and the shift solenoids controlled by the TCM, you gain (almost) absolute control by utilizing an electronic controller. Also, the suprastick apparently also allows for TC control, manual shifting via paddles etc, and protection from overrev. Software also allows you to have programmable outputs, for example nitrous cutoff (as grey mentions above).

But, basically, it's a lot cheaper, easier, and quicker to plug/wire in a module versus messing with the VB and other trans internals, not to mention it's easily reversible and you can switch between 'race' and 'street'.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:17 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Cool, thanks for the information. The Transgo kit is a lot cheaper ($120) and I've done shift kit installs but not having to take a bath in ATF and having even more control (based on what the site says) might be worth the extra $$$.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:20 AM

Wow. Ummm...maybe I wont swap.

Subscribed.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:20 AM

man this sounds like quite the innovative find! is the engineer working out the kinks on all gens, or which ones?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ephraim
man this sounds like quite the innovative find! is the engineer working out the kinks on all gens, or which ones?
The engineer is not working out the kinks on any gens. He is simply changing the code to reflect the difference in the shift pattern from the Toyota to the Maxima for me.

As I stated earlier, this will not work on the 5spd auto as they use more than 2 shift solenoids. It will work on the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5.5 Gen's.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 PM

The engineer is not working out the kinks on any gens. He is simply changing the code to reflect the difference in the shift pattern from the Toyota to the Maxima for me.

As I stated earlier, this will not work on the 5spd auto as they use more than 2 shift solenoids. It will work on the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 5.5 Gen's.
This looks very interesting! I once had the manumatic shift box I bought from Pat at Level 10 and it was pretty much worthless. The only reason I left it in so long, removed it last year, because I could lock up the torque convertor for dyno runs. Well it's in the scrap heap now and I want to try another unit.

I sent an email to http://www.latentsolutions.com/ this morning to find out if I could drive to San Diego and check it out. If I like what I see they can install one in my car. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:55 PM

It is a complete standalone TCU programmable via a PC.
That is so badass
Old 12-08-2007, 11:09 PM

Nice find JIME, Now in theory->would latentsolution's kit work properly along with a transgo kit (for us greedy guys) or must it run on an spec VB? Im thinking the interface allows for adjustment....?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, not very savy with indepth trans function.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by maxpeed96plat.
Nice find JIME, Now in theory->would latentsolution's kit work properly along with a transgo kit (for us greedy guys) or must it run on an spec VB? Im thinking the interface allows for adjustment....?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, not very savy with indepth trans function.
It will work fine with any VB, that is just mechanical, anything that quickens the shift is good. However just disconnecting the drop resistor will quicken the shifts faster than a kit and its free.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

It will work fine with any VB, that is just mechanical, anything that quickens the shift is good. However just disconnecting the drop resistor will quicken the shifts faster than a kit and its free.
Also pops a SES light from what I read in the thread about it.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:55 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Also pops a SES light from what I read in the thread about it.
True - you also get codes when you control the solenoids directly - the TCU gets upset when it can't "see" the solenoids anymore.

Codes are just part of the price of modding the automatic - we're used to it.

A $40 OBDII device can clean up all those codes when you're done. I keep one in my glove box.

Jime didn't mention the other benefit of direct control of the shift solenoids, but since the TCU is dedicated to smooth shifts, the transition between gears means that solenoid voltages are modulated. With our various shift_fast controllers, we shift instantly -switching between battery + and ground.

Old 12-09-2007, 03:38 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Yeah, I'd have to clear codes before my annual inpsection. SES light = no pass.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 PM

I received a reply back from garrett@latentsolutions.com.

Ron, thank you for your interest in the SSv4.

I'm working the code modification for Jim now, and once he gets the unit
installed should be able to give some feedback on its performance in the
Nissan / infinity application. The current hardware is adaptable to the
infinity, but will not control off WOT line pressure. What I can do is
provide a pass through / ground wire, so that under normal conditions the
variable voltage would be passed, and at WOT or a user selectable throttle
the wire would switch to ground.

Then normal users could wire their stock ecu's to only see a first / low
gear P-N-D lever position to stop the stock ecu from trying to shift.

This is the one caveat that comes with using the SSv4 on your transmission,
and I want to make you aware of it upfront.

Best Regards,
Garrett Rowe
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 11:06 PM
To: garrett@latentsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Controllers
Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by i30krab
I received a reply back from garrett@latentsolutions.com.

Ron, thank you for your interest in the SSv4.

I'm working the code modification for Jim now, and once he gets the unit
installed should be able to give some feedback on its performance in the
Nissan / infinity application. The current hardware is adaptable to the
infinity, but will not control off WOT line pressure. What I can do is
provide a pass through / ground wire, so that under normal conditions the
variable voltage would be passed, and at WOT or a user selectable throttle
the wire would switch to ground.

Then normal users could wire their stock ecu's to only see a first / low
gear P-N-D lever position to stop the stock ecu from trying to shift.

This is the one caveat that comes with using the SSv4 on your transmission,
and I want to make you aware of it upfront.

Best Regards,
Garrett Rowe
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 11:06 PM
To: garrett@latentsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Controllers
I will try and install while I am in Fl in Jan on my wife's 95 GLE so we will have a good idea of how it will work. I am planning on picking up a G35 for her while we are there and junking her car. That will give a better indication of how it will work for most people than installing on my car anyway because the TCU has been removed from it and I control everything either manually or with the UTEC.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I will try and install while I am in Fl in Jan on my wife's 95 GLE so we will have a good idea of how it will work. I am planning on picking up a G35 for her while we are there and junking her car. That will give a better indication of how it will work for most people than installing on my car anyway because the TCU has been removed from it and I control everything either manually or with the UTEC.
That's good. I am definitely interested in this.

What part of Florida are you visiting?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
That's good. I am definitely interested in this.

What part of Florida are you visiting?
Arcadia/Port Charlotte area Aaron. My Mom has spent the last 25 winters there, we have rented a condo near her for the month of Jan.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Arcadia/Port Charlotte area Aaron. My Mom has spent the last 25 winters there, we have rented a condo near her for the month of Jan.
Very nice. I was asking b/c I am in West Palm Beach a lot. I didn't know if we would cross paths.

I have read the manual on the SSv4 and it seems like it will definitely help me. I am not interested in the paddle shifters, but I like the fact that I can program my shift points and TC lockup function for every single gear. I want to be able to have the car shift itself at the track.

And I also want the TC to unlock when it shifts, then lock back up at a particular moment in the next gear. If I can have this controlled automatically, then I will be able to lock up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear without having to worry about flipping switches.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 AM

That's a great find, finally something for us autotragic. I was seriously thinking swapping to a manual but if I can avoid that extra work/spending and keep the auto I would be like Nemo when he got back to the sea.Lol

AA
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Very nice. I was asking b/c I am in West Palm Beach a lot. I didn't know if we would cross paths.

I have read the manual on the SSv4 and it seems like it will definitely help me. I am not interested in the paddle shifters, but I like the fact that I can program my shift points and TC lockup function for every single gear. I want to be able to have the car shift itself at the track.

And I also want the TC to unlock when it shifts, then lock back up at a particular moment in the next gear. If I can have this controlled automatically, then I will be able to lock up in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear without having to worry about flipping switches.

Ya the paddle shifters don't interest me either. Some people have paid more than this just for paddle shifters though. I have had the ability to shift automatically since last year at any RPM so I won't really gain anything there but the TC lockup was manual. Apparently after some further reading leaving it locked through the shifts is faster but harder on the trans so I will have to try and see. This trans has had 2 years of hard use so probably due for a change so I will try locking and see what happens.

If I have to change trannies I will probably swap the final gear to a 4:1 from an Altima for a little more bottom end.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:36 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Ya the paddle shifters don't interest me either. Some people have paid more than this just for paddle shifters though. I have had the ability to shift automatically since last year at any RPM so I won't really gain anything there but the TC lockup was manual. Apparently after some further reading leaving it locked through the shifts is faster but harder on the trans so I will have to try and see. This trans has had 2 years of hard use so probably due for a change so I will try locking and see what happens.

If I have to change trannies I will probably swap the final gear to a 4:1 from an Altima for a little more bottom end.
Yeap, that's why I would probably like it unlocked during the shift. I've kept it locked during the shift and I didn't like how it clunked into the next gear. It just felt bad.

I was thinking about using the final drive from a 2000 Altima too. A couple years ago, I talked to Rob at NRH about this exact thing. He said the final drive can work, but it's noticeably weaker and will have to be beefed up. But he thinks he can make it handle over 450 ft-lbs of torque. But I aborted that project since I decided to let my tranny blow up first before I get it rebuilt. That way, we'll know exactly what failed and we can make sure that is no longer the weak link.

Also, the 4.1 gearing I think is too short for my plans. Right now, I have a 4.10 final drive with my 22" slicks and I can see how I am going to run out of room in 3rd gear once I start getting near 115+mph trap speeds.

But if I used a 4.1 gearing with 22" or 23" slicks, I would definitely have to shift into OD.

I do plan on changing the final drive more than likely so I can run a 24" slick in the future while still being in the top of 3rd gear when I pass through the traps. Before I make my decision on the exact final drive I want, I have to ask myself what my trap speed is going to be when I stop modding my car for faster 1/4 mile times.

Quick Reply: Suprastick V4 The latest weapon for automatics