All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Suprastick V4 The latest weapon for automatics

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 PM

Wow you guys have really come a long way with this. One of these days I will have to get this for my DD G20.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I think I will be giving in to temptation and doing this as well, this has just become to tempting....My tranny will need to be rebuilt before this though as it is slipping really bad, but is there anything you guys would do to your auto tranny to make it better? As in what internals would you like to change if you had the opportunity?

I should note I will probably do the flappy-paddle gearbox, since I'm quintessentially british.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by DaveVQ
I think I will be giving in to temptation and doing this as well, this has just become to tempting....My tranny will need to be rebuilt before this though as it is slipping really bad, but is there anything you guys would do to your auto tranny to make it better? As in what internals would you like to change if you had the opportunity?

I should note I will probably do the flappy-paddle gearbox, since I'm quintessentially british.
my tranny is slipping pretty good too and its kinda annoying. i dunno but sometimes at 5% throttle while in 3rd it would always jump to 4rth then back to 3rd over and over. and others from 1st it would even skip 2nd gear and go to 3rd.

as far as making the auto tranny better, do transcooler, valve body upgrade, higher stall TC. as far as internals, i thought i saw someone on here promoting beefier gear syncros to withstand more abuse. i forget the guys name...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by G4nismo
my tranny is slipping pretty good too and its kinda annoying. i dunno but sometimes at 5% throttle while in 3rd it would always jump to 4rth then back to 3rd over and over. and others from 1st it would even skip 2nd gear and go to 3rd.

as far as making the auto tranny better, do transcooler, valve body upgrade, higher stall TC. as far as internals, i thought i saw someone on here promoting beefier gear syncros to withstand more abuse. i forget the guys name...
Yeah my tranny does the 3rd to 4th to 3rd all the time. I have a trannycooler and I'm running Amsoil tranny fluid. I was about to buy kevlo's TC but saw it was sold. I know Jime talked about using gears from an older altima, I'm curious as to why he wanted to?

BTW g4 I was looking on that LCD matix display website, can I use any of the displays? I want a red one
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Yeah my tranny does the 3rd to 4th to 3rd all the time. I have a trannycooler and I'm running Amsoil tranny fluid. I was about to buy kevlo's TC but saw it was sold. I know Jime talked about using gears from an older altima, I'm curious as to why he wanted to?

BTW g4 I was looking on that LCD matix display website, can I use any of the displays? I want a red one
yeh i haven't had the time to mess around w/ the shift table for the auto mode to fix the slipping issue so i just been driving around in manual mode this whole time. i think Jime mentioned using the altima gears cause they had slighter longer gear ratios or something, i could be wrong.

for the LCD display, make sure its 16x2 and it MUST have the serial output port in the back. also, don't buy it from the Canada Matrix orbital cause shipping is like $30+ something. it took me a while to find another distributor in the US that offered the one i wanted w/ lesser shipping charge.
buy it from Mouser electronics. here is the one you should buy since you want red:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....user_Wildcards

also, if your really thinking about doing this, read up on my HOW TO for like all the other MISC parts you need for the LCD screen.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM

You sure ur auto is slipping dude? it sounds like a software problem maybe your mph to shift 3>4 is set to high. I have mine to shift into 4th at about 30mph or so, also look at what mph ur downshift 4>3 is at. that could be the problem. cuz if the auto its slipping i dont see how it would go 3 to 4 and back, if it slips then it means it wont go into the next gear or ever catch the next gear.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Turbo'd Saab

yeh i haven't had the time to mess around w/ the shift table for the auto mode to fix the slipping issue so i just been driving around in manual mode this whole time. i think Jime mentioned using the altima gears cause they had slighter longer gear ratios or something, i could be wrong.

for the LCD display, make sure its 16x2 and it MUST have the serial output port in the back. also, don't buy it from the Canada Matrix orbital cause shipping is like $30+ something. it took me a while to find another distributor in the US that offered the one i wanted w/ lesser shipping charge.
buy it from Mouser electronics. here is the one you should buy since you want red:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....user_Wildcards

also, if your really thinking about doing this, read up on my HOW TO for like all the other MISC parts you need for the LCD screen.
Well I'm going to pair the whole system with a carputer and lilliput display in-dash montior so I can change things on the go, this will also be paired my EU too, so there will be no need to use my laptop in the car.

Thank you for finding that, now I need to find a place to put everything....

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 09-01-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
You sure ur auto is slipping dude? it sounds like a software problem maybe your mph to shift 3>4 is set to high. I have mine to shift into 4th at about 30mph or so, also look at what mph ur downshift 4>3 is at. that could be the problem. cuz if the auto its slipping i dont see how it would go 3 to 4 and back, if it slips then it means it wont go into the next gear or ever catch the next gear.
ok thats what i figured then. cause i started noticing that after the suprastick. and i only messed w/ the first 10% and 90-100% TP for 1>2.
i guess this is where the logging feature would be useful for me. i haven't even tried that out yet, have you? do you just enable it then drive normally in auto and it'll record your data or something?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 PM

Well I'm going to pair the whole system with a carputer and lilliput display in-dash montior so I can change things on the go, this will also be paired my EU too, so there will be no need to use my laptop in the car.

Thank you for finding that, now I need to find a place to put everything....
oh wow, really? man i would love to do that. that would make it so much easier for tuning. right now the suprastick is underneath the passenger seat, just sticking out underneath the arm rest. its a pain reaching under there every time i want to hook it up to the laptop. i def wanna see your setup when your finished!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Turbo'd Saab

For those interested in doing paddle shifters I have found these:

http://www.worksbell.co.jp/en/produc...paddle_neo.htm

For the 5th gens I know for a fact that the 350z hubs with fit on our car. So this going to be paired with my new momo steering wheel. I'm very happy that I am going to stay auto and have these for daily use.

I do want to ask jime and the ones who have done this, is the shifting as delayed as what is in seen in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4WDtIpAtt4
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For the 5th gens I know for a fact that the 350z hubs with fit on our car. So this going to be paired with my new momo steering wheel. I'm very happy that I am going to stay auto and have these for daily use.

I do want to ask jime and the ones who have done this, is the shifting as delayed as what is in seen in this video...
Shifting is delayed as in the video but its also delayed when you manually shift with the stock shifter.

Manual shifting is only for playing around, for real performance shifts adjust the automatic points to maximize your et's. I only use the manual shifting to tune, ie starting in 2nd gear from a stop to 7k for a/f.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

. i think Jime mentioned using the altima gears cause they had slighter longer gear ratios or something, i could be wrong.
I was going to use the Altima final drive gears only because they have some 4:1 gears vs our 3.61:1.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Yea there is a slight delay, its still fun though you get used to it. like jime said, if u want the best performance for racing, you want to have it automatic.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Turbo'd Saab

SO....I'm picking up an auto tranny for $75 with 44,000 miles TEHE!

So I am going to have a shop clean and rebuild it for me. I emailed Protorque about their TCs, they go for 350 new. My only question is what about Don's VB mod? or does anyone have any info on where I can get a VB...I'm excited.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 PM

So I am going to have a shop clean and rebuild it for me. I emailed Protorque about their TCs, they go for 350 new. My only question is what about Don's VB mod? or does anyone have any info on where I can get a VB...I'm excited.
OMG where did you get a tranny w/ that low miles for only $75?????

and what is protorque's TC rated at, meaning stall speed?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Turbo'd Saab

OMG where did you get a tranny w/ that low miles for only $75?????

and what is protorque's TC rated at, meaning stall speed?

searching car-parts.com, they are like 50 miles away LOL they listed for $88 got them down to $75.

and protorque's TC is rated at 3000rpms
Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM

searching car-parts.com, they are like 50 miles away LOL they listed for $88 got them down to $75.

and protorque's TC is rated at 3000rpms
wow thats a good find.
and 3000 rpms huh, i think the one kevlo was trying to sell was 2800rpms.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:17 AM

sick thread, spent a while reading all this. The Suprastick sound like it's less of a hassle than an expensive manual swap. I'm definatley interested for my max sum day...
Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I wonder when they will make one for a tranny with 5 solenoids??? I need one to increase internal pressure or I'll shred my tranny again...
Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by chernmax
I wonder when they will make one for a tranny with 5 solenoids??? I need one to increase internal pressure or I'll shred my tranny again...
I thought you had an 04 max which had a 4sp tranny...IIRC

Edit: nevermind

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 11-21-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I thought you had an 04 max which had a 4sp tranny...IIRC

Edit: nevermind
The 04 Maxima has both 4AT and 5AT as an option.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
The 04 Maxima has both 4AT and 5AT as an option.
Only early model 04 SL's came with a 4AT, all SE's came with 5AT. I have an SE
Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM

I message the company and it was a No ( for now ) unless we get like 100 memebers to commit
Old 11-21-2008, 06:58 PM

the suprastick dosnt increase the pressure, it just controls the solenoids on/off (shifts), but does not deal with the pressure, that would be the drop resistor mod which hopefully you have set up.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 PM

the suprastick dosnt increase the pressure, it just controls the solenoids on/off (shifts), but does not deal with the pressure, that would be the drop resistor mod which hopefully you have set up.
When you turn off the correct 3 of 5 soleniods for a 6th Gen 5AT tranny, it increases pressure.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:11 PM

When you turn off the correct 3 of 5 soleniods for a 6th Gen 5AT tranny, it increases pressure.
correct, which means you woulnt be able to use the ss4v, they would have to make a whole new device.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:07 PM

correct, which means you woulnt be able to use the ss4v, they would have to make a whole new device.
Thanks for understanding my post!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:15 AM

Hey Dave, keep me posted for your TCs, I'm looking to buy one as well so I'm taking a free ride with you...Lol

Seriously, if or when you have all the infos to order please keep me in the loop as I'm willing to order at anytime.

P.S: I took a look at those shifting paddle and I'm thinking of doing it with the Suprastick, I'm not ready yet but probably around jan - feb 09 once the car is painted and the engine is installed.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:29 PM

I am going to attempt this soon, the 4at is getting a lil bland! ? Ill be back once I screw something up.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:21 AM

Anyone still using these? I'm more interested in using it with paddles than going to the track, but eventually would be track bound with more motor mods...
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM

I still using it, the currest fastest maxima in the country, and fastest all motor maxima still have it as well. Its a great investment no matter what type of racing your doing, paddles would be cool, i almost went that route but didnt wanna spend the money for paddles.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM

I still using it, the currest fastest maxima in the country, and fastest all motor maxima still have it as well. Its a great investment no matter what type of racing your doing, paddles would be cool, i almost went that route but didnt wanna spend the money for paddles.
Great! How was the install? How is the reliability? I am REALLY excited about this!!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 PM

That would be cool to being able to shift like the X5, no clutch, no paddle but the stick shift is kind of fun and useful.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would it be possible in a 5.5 gen to use the lighting and windshield wiper selectors as "paddle shifters"? I mean use the high beam flashing movement and the windshield wiper fluid movement to create look-a-like paddle shifter use.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is it possible to lock second while in manual mode. Just got this max from my grandma (no jokes please) this car has so much potential, mainly want suprastick for the manual aspect considering every car ive owend has been stick.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by va4thgenskillz
Is it possible to lock second while in manual mode. Just got this max from my grandma (no jokes please) this car has so much potential, mainly want suprastick for the manual aspect considering every car ive owend has been stick.
Yes, you can lock it into 2nd gear with manual mode. With the Suprastick in manual mode, you can lock in any gear and it will stay in that gear no matter how much throttle you apply.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MaxPwns77
Would it be possible in a 5.5 gen to use the lighting and windshield wiper selectors as "paddle shifters"? I mean use the high beam flashing movement and the windshield wiper fluid movement to create look-a-like paddle shifter use.
It would need to be a "momentary-ON" switch that will provide 12v to the Suprastick, which will tell it to shift up. Then you'll need another switch to provide 12v to tell it to shift down.

It's possible the 'momentary-ON' windshield washer switch could work to shift up OR down. One or the other. But the high beams switch isn't a momentary-ON switch. Plus, you may lose the function of your washer fluid and high beams. I'm not sure without looking at the schematic.

But it's much easier to just get a different switch. I am using the dash light illumination switch that comes in the 1992 Maxima. It dims or brightens the dash lights and is a momentary-ON rocker switch. So I can shift up or down with that one switch. I have it zip tied to my parking brake. It works great for me.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:18 PM

I used my cruise control switch, up upshifts, down downshifts and middle upshifts (middle button actually applies 12v to both up and down wires, but the suprastic's logic knows you mean to upshift. Pretty damn cool device, get it! wont regret it.