All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

UTEC in a 4.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

UTEC in a 4.5

Getting a little disenchanted with the EU after replacing my 3rd coil and unreadable maps because of the spikes all over I decided to see if the UTEC would work with a 5.5 Gen ECU.

Of course its not plug and pray like it is with the 6th Gens, G35's and 350Z's. You have to hard wire it which isn't too bad because you don't have to connect all the wires just the ones required to operate the UTEC and change the things you want to change, ie injectors, coils etc.

I have verified that the hard timing and the MAP functions work but I'm not going to get into any real tuning until I get a Wideband that will work with the software I have.

http://mpsav.com/MPSUTECLogger/MPS_U...r_Download.htm
http://www.jeffsoftware.com/software.php?product=UTI

Both of these programs will integrate a Wideband with their software and I'm getting an LC-1 for $150 because my TechEdge won't work.

Because I have a race tomorrow I have left the EU connected as well so I can still run my current EU maps until I get the Wideband.

The biggest reason I bought the UTEC was the price, I picked it up from a guy on the 350Z board for $500 and it came with additonal switching device for up to 10 maps at the flick of a switch as long as you are below 1600 RPM.

I will post some graphs etc next week after I get it tuned a bit with the new wideband.

Not 100% sure it will work with a 4th Gen ECU but I would think it should.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Always trying out the newest and coolest stuff, eh?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Always trying out the newest and coolest stuff, eh?
Just came back from a little tuning session. The rev limiter is super easy. Just set the rpm you want and it does it. I have it at 7100 right now and it just goes right over the stock limiter without a glitch.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 PM

Any indication of it being adaptable to the 4th gen ECU? Also, simplicity of installation compared to the EU
Old 07-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Any indication of it being adaptable to the 4th gen ECU? Also, simplicity of installation compared to the EU
Just takes someone to try it like I did with the 5.5 ECU. The same number of connections as the EU. So its about the same as installing the EU. Its idiot proof with the 6 Gens, just plug it in.

I'm trying to see if I can get the a/f working tonight using my old wideband, if I do then I'll use it tomorrow at the races vs the EU. Totally different interface, have to learn all over again. It has 10 load points and 36 RPM divisions vs the 16x16 on the EU.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:02 PM

This is impressive. So first impression is that its more user friendly. If the Utec uses the same connections as the EU than wouldn't it be safe to say that its compatible with the 4th gen. Also, do you think your setup might be different with the rev limiter since your running a different gen. ECU and TCU?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by speed racer
This is impressive. So first impression is that its more user friendly. If the Utec uses the same connections as the EU than wouldn't it be safe to say that its compatible with the 4th gen. Also, do you think your setup might be different with the rev limiter since your running a different gen. ECU and TCU?
I dont think its any more user friendly. Most of the connections are the same ie 6 injectors connections, 6 ignition connection, MAF, knock sensor etc. I don't think the rev limiter is any different because of the ECU, also I am running a 4th Gen TCU.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jime
I dont think its any more user friendly. Most of the connections are the same ie 6 injectors connections, 6 ignition connection, MAF, knock sensor etc. I don't think the rev limiter is any different because of the ECU, also I am running a 4th Gen TCU.
That's what I meant to say that your still running a 4th gen TCU. I guess the real question I have;can I raise the rev. limiter on my A32 ECU/TCU? This is important for me b/c I'm N/A, auto, and with the 00VI I will be able to get more area under the curve as well as HP if I can tap into the right hand side of the power band.

I don't think the hard wiring will be any difficult than what most of us have been doing with the EU either. We might be better off getting a spare engine harness just to make it look nice.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 AM

Well hey thats great about the rev limter. Because we all know about the eu extend. How about water temp maps/intake temp maps. Because with the eu I use the intake to moniter this intercooler and have to sacrafice my water temp for knock when I would like to use all three. Will the utec does this?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:44 AM

As far as wiring were you required to use the resistors like the EU in order to not fry the coil packs.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 AM

The resistors are to keep the "Ignition Signal" CEL away, not to keep the coils from frying from what I've read.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 AM

And if the UTEC uses the crank angle signal(s) to determine crank position and timing it won't work with the A32 ECU unless there's another car in its application list that uses the same signals.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:27 AM

From what I been reading it doesn't use crank position or crank angle. It connects directly to the ignition and injectors. This allows the UTEC to increase timing directly BTDC where as the EU adjusts timing using the crank. The EU manipulates the signals where as the UTEC directly adjust timing by adding or deleting the spark for the coils.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Kevlo for President

From what I been reading it doesn't use crank position or crank angle. It connects directly to the ignition and injectors. This allows the UTEC to increase timing directly BTDC where as the EU adjusts timing using the crank. The EU manipulates the signals where as the UTEC directly adjust timing by adding or deleting the spark for the coils.

No wrong, only the SMT used the crank signal to modify timing, EU controls the timing directly just like the Utec does.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 AM
3.5 in the works

Whoa Jim, you never mentioned any of this to me. Why do you blame the EU for losing coils? What kind of spikeyness on the logs are you referring to, timing? the map sensor reading? Which f/w s/w version are you using? I've heard there may be issues with the newer 2.1x versions.

Are all these troubles just recently since your swap to the VQ35 ECU? I have a hard time believing the EU is responsible for the coils. I still haven't seen any real proof from anyone that it is frying coils. In fact Dave (eng92) took some measurements on his car not long ago...

Originally Posted by eng92
Originally Posted by DandyMax
Somebody needs to measure the coil outputs from the EU with the key ON! I'd do it myself but I won't be able to get to it for a while. We've been going for 2 years without much in the way of coil failures with the EU and now all of a sudden people are claiming blown coils? IF the EU is really causing it, then what's changed? Maybe just the newer firmware >2.00??
Well there is nothing wrong with f/w 1.14. I hooked up the scope to the EU tonight. One channel on coil#5 input to the EU and the other on the output.
The difference between them was negligible (within a few microvolts of 0 relative to ground)
I tried with the key on, without the software running, and also during a firmware update and the results were both the same.

I have had problems with the data logs in earlier versions of 2.xx so I removed them from my laptop. I will try monitoring the voltage during a f/w update to 2.12 in the next few days.
I'm not saying don't use the UTEC of course, it has a couple advantages over the EU (and visa versa) but I'm a little surprised you've gotten soured on the EU all of a sudden.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 AM
3.5 in the works

BTW.. when I get my car back up and running I may post up a video or two showing rev limit extension stuff, or revving through it etc.

I'm not quite sure why some people seem to have trouble with this. I can tell you it's never been a problem for me, and I cannot feel any blip or stumble in my car going past the rev limit.

Oh and ask Ceasar how his feels... I'll bet he says the same thing. Or at worst he may have a TINY TINY blip because we didn't have a WBO2 to use and I had to tune it a bit more roughly.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
No wrong, only the SMT used the crank signal to modify timing, EU controls the timing directly just like the Utec does.
from the reading I been doing the UTEC doesn't use percent to increase timing.

This is directly from the manufacturer.
Ignition Timing- The UTEC gives you complete control of timing. This is not done on the basis of offsets or altering the crank signal as some engine management systems use. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF or MAP which is optional. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit. When you enter a value into the Ignition Map you are actually typing in Degrees Before Top Dead Center. The UTEC fires the coils based on these values. No more wondering if the stock ecu is going to advance or retard timing.

It has also been backed up by other UTEC users for 350z or G35.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:15 PM

The UTEC fires the coils directly without using the ECU, as in you set hard timing ie.. 30 Degrees @ 6500 RPM @ 90 % load and it always fires at 30 BTDC. EU only adjusts off the stock timing curve, so if the stock ECU is using 26 degrees and you have it set plus 2 then you get 28 or if it is running 24 you get 26. I have also seen some people who can't get the EU to advance past a certain point no matter what setting they use.

As the only Maxima running a UTEC I can speak from experience.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Whoa Jim, you never mentioned any of this to me. Why do you blame the EU for losing coils? What kind of spikeyness on the logs are you referring to, timing? the map sensor reading? Which f/w s/w version are you using? I've heard there may be issues with the newer 2.1x versions.

Are all these troubles just recently since your swap to the VQ35 ECU? I have a hard time believing the EU is responsible for the coils. I still haven't seen any real proof from anyone that it is frying coils. In fact Dave (eng92) took some measurements on his car not long ago...

I'm not saying don't use the UTEC of course, it has a couple advantages over the EU (and visa versa) but I'm a little surprised you've gotten soured on the EU all of a sudden.
I'm not really soured over the EU its just that I think the UTEC better suits my purpose. Not sure why the coils are frying but I'm not the first and after my 3rd one I just can't trust going to the track anymore without carrying spare coils and I can just see one frying when I have money on the line.

I think the ECU swap is somehow causing the EU to react differently. I have tried every software version recently and they all give me timing and RPM spikes so bad I can't even tune. If I back the timing way down it eliminates most of the spikes.

I want a setup that eliminates the timing variations from the stock ECU and the UTEC does that by taking control vs adding to or subtracting from the ECU.

The price tag is what sold me, they retail for over $1k and I got it for $500. Plus I'm a sucker for new toys.

Also I didn't have any problems with the rev limiter it worked smooth enough on the EU, but what impressed me about the UTEC is that you can't even spot it on the graph.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 95turbo gxe
Well hey thats great about the rev limter. Because we all know about the eu extend. How about water temp maps/intake temp maps. Because with the eu I use the intake to moniter this intercooler and have to sacrafice my water temp for knock when I would like to use all three. Will the utec does this?
It monitors water, intake and knock. Plus it has very extensive knock features. The threshold is adjustable and different RPM's and you can program how much it will reduce timing (if any).
Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 PM

It monitors water, intake and knock. Plus it has very extensive knock features. The threshold is adjustable and different RPM's and you can program how much it will reduce timing (if any).
Are you able to adjust fuel and timing on water temps? kinda something for cold starts fro big injectors too
Old 07-22-2007, 07:18 PM
SLOW

Couple questions:

Any info on whether or not the UTEC has a 2 step limiter?

I thought the EU also directly controlled timing as opposed to a timing offset like the emanage blue uses.

Anything required to get the knock features working on UTEC - or do you just tap into the stock KS wire without needing to modify the signal? Reason I ask is because I've heard some products out there with knock features have trouble reading our particular type of knock sensor.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Couple questions:

Any info on whether or not the UTEC has a 2 step limiter?

I thought the EU also directly controlled timing as opposed to a timing offset like the emanage blue uses.

Anything required to get the knock features working on UTEC - or do you just tap into the stock KS wire without needing to modify the signal? Reason I ask is because I've heard some products out there with knock features have trouble reading our particular type of knock sensor.
Currently the 2-step is not functional for Nissan but is supposed to be in next update.

EU does not directly control timing, just an offset.

Nothing is required to get the knock features, just tap into the KS wire. I have already verified this works by advancing the timing and observing the knock count.

I'm still learning but I have done a lot of reading over the past while. Also if you check out the two url's in my first post you can see there are folks writing software for the UTEC that greatly enhances its interface.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Does the UTEC really have to be in speed density mode for the rev-limit extension to work? And what does speed density mode mean? lol
Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nismology
Does the UTEC really have to be in speed density mode for the rev-limit extension to work? And what does speed density mode mean? lol
Here's what I got from a quick google (I knew it used a MAP, but no specifics):

Originally Posted by http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10/MassAirConversion/index.php
Speed density systems are called so because load is calculated by the speed of the engine (rpm) and the density of air within the intake manifold, as measured by the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. Intake air temperature is also measured and used as a correction factor. Speed density systems are accurate because the data within the control module (e.g. computer) is based around the specific engine configuration.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 PM

I figured it involved a MAP sensor but I was wondering how exactly a MAP sensor needed to be incorporated with the UTEC in particular to raise the rev-limit.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
No more Maximas...

I figured it involved a MAP sensor but I was wondering how exactly a MAP sensor needed to be incorporated with the UTEC in particular to raise the rev-limit.
Does seem weird, but I found a post on a G37 forum saying the same thing -
Originally Posted by http://www.myg37.com/forum/tuner-dyno/119293-anyone-here-tune-their-own-ecu.html
The UTEC also has the ability to remove the rev limiter and speed limiter if used in speed density mode.
Can't imagine why they'd need a MAP for rev limiter increase...maybe more accurate than a MAF setup? Or the MAP sensor reacts quicker to changes in airflow/pressure than a MAF would.

Hell, no idea, just making stuff up at this point.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:41 PM

You don't need to use speed density to raise the rev limiter, you just have to be in open loop fueling mode. The rev limiter is a two stage operation, it has a soft limit 250 RPM before your set limit so if you have it set to 7500 then at 7250 it will kick in the soft limit to slow it down. The UTEC has zero control over the speed limiter, you can not remove this without a reflash at this time. Speed Density mode is direct control over your injectors pulse width. You set the timing in ms for your load points and it fires the injectors accordingly. Pretty much it's for the forced induction goes to better control fuel and also get around the factory MAF maxing out under high boost. There are a few N/A guys who run MAP but most stick to MAF.

Hope that clears some things up.

Jime have you actually tested to see if it works with your ECU? I wouldn't think it would because of the difference in code.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 PM

Sweet. Thanks for clearing that up.

So is closed loop fuel tuning possible without ECU intervention and if so, do you need to be in speed density mode to do it?

Sorry Jime for cluttering the thread up with questions, but I feel the answer to them could be helpful for those considering the UTEC in the future. Heh, maybe I should just go read their website.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche

Jime have you actually tested to see if it works with your ECU? I wouldn't think it would because of the difference in code.
Everything works fine, especially the rev limiter, haven't found anything that doesn't function yet. I will also be using the speed density as soon as I start tuning this week.

I have adapted the Greddy pressure sensor to work with the UTEC and it works fine. Pretty much any pressure sensor could be wired in if you can get the plug or make one like I did. I has a min-max setup to configure the hi and low in the parameter settings.

My LC-1 should be here today or tomorrow and it will integrate with the MPS UTEC logger and also the UTI data logger. Have you tried either one of these, much superior to the UTEC software?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:03 AM

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm monitoring the AFR then I use cipher with factory WB, if I'm looking for knock then I use the MPS logger. Depending on the situation I have both programs going at once. That way I can get all the info from cipher (IGN, INJ, ECT, IAT, etc..) and monitor the UTEC timing and knock events. It would be nice to integrate a WB into the UTEC but I don't think it's worth the money when what I do works.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:07 AM

So is closed loop fuel tuning possible without ECU intervention and if so, do you need to be in speed density mode to do it?
The 0% column is used to adjust in closed loop mode. Nothing spectacular but it can add fuel if you have bigger injectors to fix idle issues and so forth. The open loop table is very flexible, I have mine kick in @ 2500 RPM with 30% TPS. You can have it set as low as 500 RPM IIRC, but I don't need anything other than stoich when cruising.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 AM

Everything works fine, especially the rev limiter, haven't found anything that doesn't function yet. I will also be using the speed density as soon as I start tuning this week.

I have adapted the Greddy pressure sensor to work with the UTEC and it works fine. Pretty much any pressure sensor could be wired in if you can get the plug or make one like I did. I has a min-max setup to configure the hi and low in the parameter settings.

My LC-1 should be here today or tomorrow and it will integrate with the MPS UTEC logger and also the UTI data logger. Have you tried either one of these, much superior to the UTEC software?
that's correct. I saw a couple of people incorporating a 5bar map sensor to eliminate the MAF.

I don't know if you can clarify jime. But did they get the software so you can run the PLX in conjunction with the UTEC?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 AM

that's correct. I saw a couple of people incorporating a 5bar map sensor to eliminate the MAF.

I don't know if you can clarify jime. But did they get the software so you can run the PLX in conjunction with the UTEC?
The only ones so far that will work is the LC-1, LM-1, AEM UEGO and the TurboXS. However they are slowly coming out with others.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 AM

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm monitoring the AFR then I use cipher with factory WB, if I'm looking for knock then I use the MPS logger. Depending on the situation I have both programs going at once. That way I can get all the info from cipher (IGN, INJ, ECT, IAT, etc..) and monitor the UTEC timing and knock events. It would be nice to integrate a WB into the UTEC but I don't think it's worth the money when what I do works.
If you are willing to spend $400 on a software monitoring package, $150 for a WB is pretty small change.

I really like what MPS and UTI have done with the integration. Haven't really decided which one I like best, will play with both until I decide.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 PM

The extra dough is worth it when you consider all the things I can monitor, plus it gives me the WB readings of the manifolds. Maybe when I finalize my exhaust I'll throw in a aftermarket WB since I'll already be down there.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

Cipher has an option to add on ecu flashing if you already have their diagnostics. right now, getting additional flashes are free(after initial purchase) if you send in a cipher or other data log.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:16 PM

true, but they wont do it for fwd. I talked with them already.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:59 PM

If you want launch control, you could try this.

http://www.gizzmoelectronics.com/product_launch.htm