All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Aftermarket Ring and/or Piston Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Cletus

Aftermarket Ring and/or Piston Question

Well I have an oil burning problem caused by bad piston rings and Nissan is refusing to cover under warranty because I don't have proof of two oil changed because I did it myself.

I have been thinking about having a place (not a Nissan service department) replace the rings. I don't really wanna use OEM rings since there is obviously a problem with them. I have been doing some research and...

Stillen does have Cosworth "performance piston rings" for $134
Would those actually be better than stock?

They also have Cosworth pistons for $1,392.00.
I figured since im gonna have the pistons out anyway....
Would those be worth it? Benefits? Gains?

They also have the heavy duty connecting rods for $1,434.24.
If i get the pistons do I need the new rods?

So, should I buy...
Rings
Pistons
Pistons and rods

I will admit that I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to engine internals.

Rings and pistons - http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=COSWNPIST1&c=PE
Rods - http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=COSWNRODS1&c=PE
Old 04-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Kevlo for President

HR pistons and rings
Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 AM
STFU n00b!

Take Nissan to court.

how many miles is on the car, and when were these oil changes done by you?
how far apart?
both consecutive, or separated by a change from a shop?

all you need to do is provide something on a sheet of paper that says you changed it on zzz day and yyyyy mileage with xxxxx oil.
otherwise, there is absolutely no way they can refuse warranty on it.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Take Nissan to court.

how many miles is on the car, and when were these oil changes done by you?
how far apart?
both consecutive, or separated by a change from a shop?

all you need to do is provide something on a sheet of paper that says you changed it on zzz day and yyyyy mileage with xxxxx oil.
otherwise, there is absolutely no way they can refuse warranty on it.
i have already done all that...i provided everything and they wont budge.

this thread isnt about that....my 9 page thread in the 5th gen forum covers all that.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:09 PM

I would go with a set of Eagle rods with ARP 2000 series bolts for $600

a set of Mahle pistons for $835 with rings OR get a set of ZGS (Zero gap second) rings.

Then get yourself a high quality machinist who can bore and hone your cylinders to according to the ring manufacturers specifications for roundness, taper, and bore finish AND angle. The last two being very important to a good ring seal and long life.

If you want to see some quality machine work look at this guys work,
" http://www.theoldone.com/articles/Larryscivic/Larrys_Civic.htm"
His name is Larry Widmer and he is very, very good at what he does.

I've already contacted him about getting some engine work done. He is in the process of creating some of his own piston designs to complement his head port work.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Cletus

Tommy Boy,
thats what i needed, thanks.
im just doing research right now. i'm going to korea for a year soon and plan on doing this when i get back home.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

i thought i had the same issue as you. I almost went with HR pistons/Eagle rods but I ended up with just the 07 Altima rings which fits with no issue, if you plan on the spending the money for aftermarket pistons, I would go with some Arias XD. If you get aftermarket pistons, you should do rods also along with bearings and arp hardware. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Cletus

well ive been doing some research on my350z.com and im probably gonna do everything while im in there (pistons, rods, cams, etc)
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Aftermarket VQ35 piston options include but are not limited to JE, CP, Wiseco, and Arias. These are the manufacturers that i would recommend. I like Wiseco's ring set the best. They feature a gas nitrided top ring and a Napier-style phosphate coated 2nd ring. They sell it separately.

The Arias ED pistons are a zero-silicon forging and as such require the largest piston-to-wall clearance. Totally unnecessary for an n/a machine.

The rods i would recommend are eagle (for how cheap they are) and Carrillo a-beams (for how light they are).

Would definitely recommend the cosworth main and rod bearings while you're at it.

For cams, i say go big or go home if you're building up a motor. No JWT or R-tune bs. Nismo spec 1 or 2 or tomei 272's (or bigger).

Oh yea...rev-up oil pump.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally Posted by nismology
Aftermarket VQ35 piston options include but are not limited to JE, CP, Wiseco, and Arias. These are the manufacturers that i would recommend. I like Wiseco's ring set the best. They feature a gas nitrided top ring and a Napier-style phosphate coated 2nd ring. They sell it separately.

The Arias ED pistons are a zero-silicon forging and as such require the largest piston-to-wall clearance. Totally unnecessary for an n/a machine.

The rods i would recommend are eagle (for how cheap they are) and Carrillo a-beams (for how light they are).

Would definitely recommend the cosworth main and rod bearings while you're at it.

For cams, i say go big or go home if you're building up a motor. No JWT or R-tune bs. Nismo spec 1 or 2 or tomei 272's (or bigger).

Not to mention ARP hardware and head gasket along with maybe some valves/valve springs if you want to rev higher.

Cosworth offers both the rod and main bearings in STD or Race also...
Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jcy98maxse
Not to mention ARP hardware and head gasket along with maybe some valves/valve springs if you want to rev higher.
The only ARP fasteners that are worthwhile for an all-motor setup are the rod bolts. But i didn't mention them because eagle rods come with ARP rod bolts and Carrillo's comes with their own VERY strong ARP equivalents. Also the 3-layer OEM 350Z head gasket is sufficient.

But you're right about the valvetrain. Dunno how i forgot to mention that.
Cosworth offers both the rod and main bearings in STD or Race also...
The only difference between the standard and race bearings is the race version has extra oil clearance. Not recommended for a street setup.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Cletus

thanks for all the advice guys.
looks like this wont be cheap but if im gonna do it...i dont want to half @ss it.
might as well make it bulletproof for the future...guess i will need a HSLD tranny too.
i'll have a year in korea to save up.

i wanna be the first maxima VQ35 to do all this
Old 04-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Cletus

now i need to do some research to find a place that has experience with this kind of stuff on a VQ
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

All this might hurt your auto/x'ing capabilities since it will favor the right side of the tach.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
All this might hurt your auto/x'ing capabilities since it will favor the right side of the tach.
well i need to stop my oil burning anyway.

all auto-x i have run were in high 1st/low 2nd (bogging in 2nd on most turns). if i do this and raise the rev limiter, i can run in higher 1st and be in the peak power band. i should actually do better.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Hmm, sounds fun.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Cletus

and when i move back to OK next summer i plan on doing SCCA Club Racing (road course). ive grown out of auto-x and want to do something where my horsepower can be used.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by soonerfan
and when i move back to OK next summer i plan on doing SCCA Club Racing (road course). ive grown out of auto-x and want to do something where my horsepower can be used.
Where do you think you're going to do that in a Maxima with a modified engine?

You'll be able to do DE days and such, but you won't be class legal for anything.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 PM

This may be the beginning of the end of me and the Max's relationship, I don't think I'm man enough for a $2,000 rebuild.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Where do you think you're going to do that in a Maxima with a modified engine?

You'll be able to do DE days and such, but you won't be class legal for anything.
he can become a member of NASA instead, they hold a number of road-racing events and im pretty sure that he could make it into one of the classes (Nasa progression)
Old 05-08-2007, 07:27 AM

Do you really have to bore out the cylinder can't you just buy factory spec pistons and get new rings then hone them out?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Do you really have to bore out the cylinder can't you just buy factory spec pistons and get new rings then hone them out?
Neither using standard size forged pistons nor re-honing when the crosshatch pattern is still visible is recommended.

Reasoning:

A. From the factory there are very slight variances in bore diameter and taper in each cylinder. So overboring is not only recommended to make sure each cylinder is true before putting it back together, it also allows you to dial in the piston-to-cylinder clearance with precision which varies depending on the piston's silicon content.

B. Re-honing a cylinder with crosshatch pattern still intact remove material that the rings could have used to break in. It could could potentially screw up the pattern in such a way that it could possibly hold too much or not enough oil on the grooves. I say leave well enough alone unless the cylinders walls are glazed, IMHO.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 AM

Would it be smart to find a high mileage motor and just rebuild it rather than rebuilding your own?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:48 PM

I have the oil problem too and warranty is almost up. If it doesnt get covered by my dealer I will be taking the same route as you. But since the problem is with the rings thats all I need to get correct? Your getting new pistons and connecting rods and all that but is it really necessary? Whats necessary to stop the oil consumption only? Its the rings correct? If so, thats all Im looking to get.

The ones you posted in your 1st post, will those work with OEM pistons and connecting rods or are they made for the other Cosworth pistons etc?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

yes you only NEED the rings, but if you plan on keeping the car for a while and going really fast, you might as well do more while you have the engine torn down. if not then rings only
Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Cletus

you only need the rings to fix the problem.

im thinking of doing the other stuff since its gonna be open anyway.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 AM

this is exactally what i want to do as well... i burn through oil like its my job but hopefully the 2,000 or so will come quite easily this summer. love the thread. answered all my questions.

How hard would it be to tear it down and build it back up yourself?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

How hard would it be to tear it down and build it back up yourself?
If you're asking that question, it might be a touch much.

Get an FSM and read it until your eyes bleed, then, after you clean them up, do it again until green stuff comes out. After that, give it a week, and go back and see how much you retatined.

If you're on track, you'll read it again until your eyes bleed, then sweat, then tear.

Particularly the EM & EC sections.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by nismology
Nismo spec 1 or 2 or tomei 272's (or bigger).

not to steal the thread but has anyone with a maxima gone with a cam with that or greater duration? i saw these and my mind remembered this thread http://www.slowboyracing.com/estore/...id=5896&page=1