All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

UpRev Cipher DDS Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:01 AM

UpRev Cipher DDS Write-Up

There has been some banter back and forth with the different OBD-II monitoring packages on Maxima.Org. Well, the following is the information on UpRev’s Cipher – Diagnostic & Data System. Some of the information is going to come straight from their website (http://www.uprev.com). Most of the information, screenshots, and graphs will come from my own system.

I contacted UpRev back in the late winter/ early Spring once reading some threads on a Nissan Titan forum. I was interested in some of the data I could capture with their system. So, we agreed to do a beta test on my vehicle. This will be catered to 2k2-2k3 Maximas (and I-35’s). 2k4 and up will have even more benefits from this software system.

CIPHER™ - Diagnostic & Data System

“Cipher is the diagnostic and data solution for the Nissan/Infiniti professional and enthusiast. Originally conceived for the 350Z and G35 after-market, Cipher decodes the Nissan/Infiniti specific On-Board protocol. Unlike OBD-II, which is limited to EPA requirements, Cipher is able to access sensors and trouble codes that are otherwise invisible. Whether for service or performance tuning, Cipher lets you know exactly what your vehicle is doing. Using UpRev's proprietary cable interface and software, your USB equipped notebook becomes a cutting-edge service and data tool for today’s Nissan/Infiniti vehicles.”

Key Features:
• Diagnostic Codes - Retrieve and clear the DTCs from each control module.
• Real-time sensor display - Monitor the condition of sensors and outputs.
• Data-logging - Record and save data; sample rates of 20/sec with 16 sensors. Sample rate varies with the type and number of sensor logged.
• Analytical charting - Review saved data with our integrated graphical utility or export the data to as a csv file and create your personal charts.
• Configurable Target Ignition Timing +/- 2 degrees .
• Configurable Target Idle RPM + 250 RPM .
• Clear ECU learned fuel settings.
• Cylinder Power Test - Provides troubleshooting capability by turning individual cylinders on and off as needed.
• Fuel Pressure Release - Discharges the pressure in the fuel line. This increases the safety of fuel line work by releasing built up pressure and limiting the potential for fuel spray.
• Fuel Injection Test - Test and troubleshoot the injection system by manually controlling the injector pulse length while monitoring timing.
• Coolant Test - Test and troubleshoot engine operation issues by forcing the ECU to read false values for the coolant temperature sensor.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 AM

Part 1: Cipher Connection and Tools

This is a shot of my laptop once I have connected their cable to the USB port and to the OBD-II port. Notice the lower right states the serial number of the connected cable. Once you click the button “CONNECT TO VEHICLE” on the left column, Cipher will connect to your ECU (later years, Cipher will also connect to your ABS and BCM computer, but that will be discussed in the 6th gen forums later). You will then get a feedback box as seen below:

The screen shot below will be the different tools available to the user.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Part 2: DTC Codes, Clear Learned Fuel, ECU Parameters

Retrieve and Clear Trouble Codes

Cipher will detect any DTC codes. For newer years (+04), you will have access to the ABS and BCM codes. Below is the screen you will see (once connected). The system first detects the codes, puts them on the screen, then gives you the ability to clear the codes. As you see below, I had codes P0455 & P1448 (for a gross leak in the EVAP system, i.e. gas cap off) and P1147 & P1167 (secondary O2 Sensor problems). You also see where you can clear the codes and retrieve any more codes. An all clear of “No Codes Found” appears.

Clear Learned Fuel Settings

From the Factory Service Manual, “The mixture ratio feedback control system monitors the mixture ratio signal transmitted from the heated oxygen sensor 1. This feedback signal is then sent to the ECM. The ECM controls the basic mixture ratio as close to the theoretical mixture ratio as possible. However, the basic mixture ratio is not necessarily controlled as originally designed. Both manufacturing differences (i.e., mass air flow sensor hot wire) and characteristic changes during operation (i.e., injector clogging) directly affect mixture ratio. Accordingly, the difference between the basic and theoretical mixture ratios is monitored in this system. This is then computed in terms of “injection pulse duration” to automatically compensate for the difference between the two ratios. “Fuel trim” refers to the feedback compensation value compared against the basic injection duration. Fuel trim includes short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim. “Short term fuel trim” is the short-term fuel compensation used to maintain the mixture ratio at its theoretical value. The signal from the heated oxygen sensor 1 indicates whether the mixture ratio is RICH or LEAN compared to the theoretical value. The signal then triggers a reduction in fuel volume if the mixture ratio is rich, and an increase in fuel volume if it is lean. “Long term fuel trim” is overall fuel compensation carried out long-term to compensate for continual deviation of the short term fuel trim from the central value. Such deviation will occur due to individual engine differences, wear over time and changes in the usage environment.”

With the Clear Learned Fueling tool, “the actual mixture ratio can be ‘reset’ to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The ECM calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.”

Monitor and Record ECU Parameters

Cipher gives the user the ability to monitor and record up to 20 ECU Parameters simultaneously. Some parameters update faster than others. It also gives the user the ability to do some Performance logging (based on the vehicle speed sensor). Below is a list of parameters on a 2002 Maxima.

Here is a picture of the monitoring screen. With each parameter, you have the choice of a graphical or digital readout. At the bottom you will notice the button to start and stop data logging. Once you finish your data logging, you will need to go to the Log List (where the data will be listed) and save it on your computer.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Part 3: Timing & Idle Tools

Adjust Target Ignition Timing

Cipher gives you the ability to adjust the Target Ignition Timing +/- 2 degrees(i.e. Timing Advance you can do yourself). It does a check to make sure you vehicle is up to correct operating temperature. When that is reached, it will allow you to check, change and save your timing changes.

Adjust Target Idle RPM

Cipher gives you the ability to adjust the Target Idle RPM up to 250 RPM. Similar to the Timing Adjustment, it does a check to make sure you vehicle is up to correct operating temperature. When that is reached, it will allow you to check, change and save your Idle RPM changes.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 AM

Part 4: Fuel Pressure Release, Cylinder PWR, Coolant, Fuel Inj Test

Fuel Pressure Release Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher gives you the ability to disable the fuel pump to purge the fuel system to prevent any spray when servicing under-hood parts (such as removing lower intake manifold, changing injectors, etc).

Cylinder Power Test Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher gives you the ability to turn individual cylinders on and off as needed to provide troubleshooting capability. Pertinent data is shown behind the test in the Live Data View. (The reason you see 8 cylinders is because Cipher also works on V8 Titans also).

Fuel Injection Test Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher has added a Fuel Injection test. It gives the user the ability to add or subtract up to 25% fuel that is injected by the ECU. This is only a temporary change; it goes back to normal when exiting the test. Pertinent data is shown behind the test in the Live Data View.

Coolant Test Tool

In the newest release (v 1.03), Cipher has added a Coolant Test Tool. It gives the user the ability change the coolant reading (from -30 degrees C to 110 degrees C) that the ECU sees and bases its calculations on. This is only a temporary change; it goes back to normal when exiting the test. Pertinent data is shown behind the test in the Live Data View.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Thinks he is fast

Very interesting. Our engines have VTC so this timing adjustment would just be base timing like what is done with the consult II. Are they working on being able to change the injector pulse width with their software. I noticed that you can change it but only for test purposes, resetting after the test is over with. That is emanage territory there. How much is this going to be?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxspeedse02
That is emanage territory there. How much is this going to be?
Website says $400.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Worth every penny...
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

I opted for the Autoengunity OBDII with Nissan enhanced features.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Will there eventually be upgrades to this software?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I was going to get this, it funny you came out with it...
Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 PM

Kinda like these for the 4th gens only $300 more
http://www.blazt.biz/
http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml
http://www.obdscantech.cjb.net/
Old 08-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Nice...can you do a log of the Intake Camshaft Adv B1/B2 vs. RPM?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
3.5 in the works

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Would like to see that also.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 PM

I've seen this program in motion, and it's extremely easy to operate/understand. The benefit you get from it is definitely well worth the $$.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:32 PM

So this just plugs into your OBDII socket like a Scan Tool and you can adjust everything?!?

Even though I know nothing about tuning, this sounds like an awesome deal for 400.

DF
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by dfownz
you can adjust everything?!?
That's saying a lot in that phrase.

Certain paramters would be more ideal for a raw explanation.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 AM

Good work. This will def be useful tool to have.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
I certainly can. I will try my best to get that data tomorrow morning going to work. Anything else you'd like to see? I may already have the data you are looking for. I will post a graph of it tomorrow, as well as a link. I am going to look thru what I already have. I may have what you are looking for.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:55 AM

Just ignition timing and Intake Camshaft Adv B1/B2 from a low RPM roll to redline.

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
I certainly can. I will try my best to get that data tomorrow morning going to work. Anything else you'd like to see? I may already have the data you are looking for. I will post a graph of it tomorrow, as well as a link. I am going to look thru what I already have. I may have what you are looking for.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:38 AM

Intake Cam Advance Chart & Data

For DandyMax & IceY2K1

The Excel spreadsheet this was generated from can be found at the following link:

http://hsvracing.com/upload/6spd_Hay...6-45-37_AM.xls
Old 08-11-2006, 10:59 AM

That graph looks a whole lot like this one except with a lot more data points

That Cipher looks like a nifty little tool. I may have to expand my collection.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:19 AM

Awesome....that does look just like eng92s, as expected, however 6000+ goes -1 to -2 degrees which is interesting.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by eng92
That graph looks a whole lot like this one except with a lot more data points........That Cipher looks like a nifty little tool. I may have to expand my collection.
If you look at the Excel spreadsheet I have linked, I did a full up chart of all RPM vs Intake Cam Adv (lots of data points). Most were done under less that WOT, but you can see the upper boundary of where the WOT runs were.

So, the question I have is, if we no longer have the power valve in the intake (and some extensive porting and polishing), does the ECU have to give that bump in the chart about 4k rpm? Would a smooth curve help give a bump in power at the midrange?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 PM

So, the question I have is, if we no longer have the power valve in the intake (and some extensive porting and polishing), does the ECU have to give that bump in the chart about 4k rpm? Would a smooth curve help give a bump in power at the midrange?
I will let you know after I dyno when the weather gets cooler. The heat is just killing my ignition timing advance (even with 94 in the tank).

Currently I have my VTC solenoids wired to use the EU to hold maximum cam advance until 4K and then switch back to ecu control for the stock ramp back down.

Can you get any Cipher cam angle vs rpm data for a G or Z?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by eng92
I will let you know after I dyno when the weather gets cooler. The heat is just killing my ignition timing advance (even with 94 in the tank).

Currently I have my VTC solenoids wired to use the EU to hold maximum cam advance until 4K and then switch back to ecu control for the stock ramp back down.

Can you get any Cipher cam angle vs rpm data for a G or Z?
All I need is someone in the area with a G or Z that is willing to romp on it a few times for me to get the data. Cipher is not locked into a single ECU (as in I can use it on Maximas, Altimas, G's, Z's, etc). I will talk to a friend tonight with a '03 Z to see when he may have some free time where I could collect data.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Please do.....

I will talk to a friend tonight with a '03 Z to see when he may have some free time where I could collect data.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:40 AM
3.5 in the works

Awesome data 6spd... thanks. Yeah some logs from a G and a Z would be great to compare with the Max...

Hmmm... I already have the AutoEnginuity... I believe with the enhanced Nissan interface it would be able to do this too, I should check into it...
Old 08-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
I believe with the enhanced Nissan interface it would be able to do this too, I should check into it...
The enhanced interface is only good for 2000+ Nissan vehicles. 96-99 require new hardware which is not yet available.

The Autoenginuity looks like a better deal. $350 including the enhanced Nissan interface. It has a much nicer looking GUI as well IMO.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:11 PM

Threw a post up on my350z.com to see if we can get any help.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:14 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Holy crap. THIS is a thread.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

Anyone else have this badboy?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:10 PM
You embarrass me.

Nice thread man, props. I've been looking at the Cipher vs. Autoenginuity w/ Nissan interface. It's nice to see some shots and more info on one of them. Let us know more about your tuning.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

IIRC there are only 2 of us that have it. It's great for looking at different intake, exhausts 0-60 Timing... intake cam timing
Old 02-24-2007, 09:57 AM

The info in this thread is probably more useful in All Motor... moved.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:15 AM

I have Autoenginuity for my powerstroke diesel with the ford enhanced software, exelent tool for diagnostics. I plan on getting the nissan enhanced when the 96-99 comes out.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has the new Osiris flash tool. I searched for Osiris and came up blank.

If you have reflashed your ECU, does this work well to hit your target AFR after 3400 RPM?

Any feedback at all would be appreciated as this tool may be cheaper than EU with WB and seems to provide the same benefits without wiring. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 AM
dot dot dot ...

That tool is incompatible w/ A33B software.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm needing a caw

Welll..............maybe I shouldn't say anything yet. I'll just say it looks promising for my early effed up ecu G sedan. So what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM

I take back my post

Quick Reply: UpRev Cipher DDS Write-Up