All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

Troubleshooting on the 00VI.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Troubleshooting on the 00VI.

Well its been about a month since I did my DEK swap. It drive great but I've notice there is a hiss like a vacuum leak sound coming from the hose thats connected from my 4th gen IACV to the vacuum source. Theres no leaks there but I can here it in the hose. Also it sounds the same from underneath the IM, over the rear injector section. I've checked and reseated the manifold to ensure no leaks but its still there... anyone experienced this?

Second, my IAVC screw really has no affect on idle but when the hose its removed the car dies so I know it works. When I first installed the IACV, the srew had a affect but the vacuum source was from the brake booster and it affected my brakes so I change it to a different vacuum source. Now it works but the screw doesnt do crap. What gives?

Finally, I'm still having starting issues in terms of it would idle at startup whether hot or cold. I would have to revs up slightly for a few seconds then it would idle normal. If not it would startup then die immediately. anyone else had this issue before???
Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

The IM on a DE-K is prone to cracks. Mine also had a small crack when I installed it, in exactly the same area as you described. Just find it and seal over it with something solid, high-temp, and VERY sticky, but relatively flexible and non-solvent on plastic, and you'll be fine.

I wish I could help you on the other stuff.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why won't you use the 5th gen IACV. It works better than the 4th gen IACV. I'm sure the hose coming out of the 4th gen is too small to keep the car idling correctly.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 AM
3.5 in the works

d00d you are the first I've heard of with a crack issue. I haven't run into it on mine at all. Could be an isolated case?

As for the startup/idle problem, when I first installed my VI over a year ago I did not have that problem at all. However this year I have had it recently.

I suspect it's the idle air learning on the ECU. I have had my ECU unplugged at various times for periods long enough to reset everything, and I think that I need to reset the idle on it. It's not enough to just turn the IACV screw, it must be done with the right procedure and the TPS unplugged etc (read the FSM it's in there). I can't be sure though until I get to it.. (hopefully this weekend at some point).

As for hissing/whistling noises, I do hear some on my car too but I think it is just the nature of the manifold without the TB restrictor plate as well as having hoses routed around and a remote IACV setup. I have gone over every inch of the set up and there are no vacuum leaks (also verified with a vacuum gauge)
Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by DandyMax
d00d you are the first I've heard of with a crack issue. I haven't run into it on mine at all. Could be an isolated case?
Tilley has seen and heard of a few. I'm repeating what he told me on that topic.

Originally Posted by DandyMax
As for hissing/whistling noises, I do hear some on my car too but I think it is just the nature of the manifold without the TB restrictor plate as well as having hoses routed around and a remote IACV setup. I have gone over every inch of the set up and there are no vacuum leaks (also verified with a vacuum gauge)
I get hissing and whistling on mine too, and I'm definitely leak-free as well.