All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

00vi setup verification

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

00vi setup verification

Im gonna be installing my 00vi this weekend and want to make sure I have eveything down. I will be using this 4th gen TB/IACV adpater.

Vaccum Lines:

There are 5 connections on the rear part of the manifold.
1. Left most (Brake Booster)
2. and 3. In the center (one to PCV going into lower valve cover the other blocked off)
4. Top of Throttle Body section (EVAP). I was told by another org member this nipple might not be large enough.
5. Right side of throttle body section (blocked off)

There are three nipples on the front of the manifold, one above each connector and one more directly to the right.

1. 2. & 3. all blocked off

Wiring:

Using the left connector on the from of the manifold:
Left Wire to 12V connector on cigarette lighter.
Right Wire to the purple VTEC wire on my VAFC2 (provides ground at certain RPM.

Will be using a 2000 EGR guide tube and will connect the two EGR coolant lines to form a loop.

I guess I just want to make sure I have all this right before starting as I cant afford to have my car sitting there when I have to go to work on Monday.

Some Concerns:
1. Will I have to extend any tubing or wiring, esp the brake booster tube as it now has to reach further and the IACV/TB connectors.
2. Will there be a problem with the throttle cables. From what I understand these cannot have any slack and therefore the TB must be positioned perfectly. What do you guys do if you have to extend or shorten the throttle cables.

Thanks in advance!! Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:30 PM

There are some tubing, especially with the 3 or so MAP sensor tubes, that you might have the extend. Since you using the 4th gen TB and IACV, you wont need to worry about extended the wires for the remote IACV mount, like I am, because of the 5th gen TB, which you dont have to worry about. The brake booster doesnt need to be extended, it has plenty of slack, and with the throttle body/cruise control cables, it should work just the same as with the stock manifold, no need to shorten, but might have to extend a little bit.

Good luck on the install Steve, i guess you'll have your 00VI running before i do....Damnit you, makes me want to start on mine ASAP....
Old 09-21-2005, 02:26 PM

00VI Installation

Originally Posted by blazingchimp
Im gonna be installing my 00vi this weekend and want to make sure I have eveything down. I will be using this 4th gen TB/IACV adpater.

Vaccum Lines:

There are 5 connections on the rear part of the manifold.
1. Left most (Brake Booster)
2. and 3. In the center (one to PCV going into lower valve cover the other blocked off)
4. Top of Throttle Body section (EVAP). I was told by another org member this nipple might not be large enough.
5. Right side of throttle body section (blocked off)

There are three nipples on the front of the manifold, one above each connector and one more directly to the right.

1. 2. & 3. all blocked off

Wiring:

Will be using a 2000 EGR guide tube and will connect the two EGR coolant lines to form a loop.

I guess I just want to make sure I have all this right before starting as I cant afford to have my car sitting there when I have to go to work on Monday.

Some Concerns:
1. Will I have to extend any tubing or wiring, esp the brake booster tube as it now has to reach further and the IACV/TB connectors.
2. Will there be a problem with the throttle cables. From what I understand these cannot have any slack and therefore the TB must be positioned perfectly. What do you guys do if you have to extend or shorten the throttle cables.

Thanks in advance!! Any input is appreciated.
What's the source for that TB/IACV adapter?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM

Wiring:

The VAFC2 purple wire does not provide a ground, it provides power (12V). So just ground the switch on the VIAS and run the power from the VIAS to your VAFC2 and you will be good
Old 09-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Kevlo for President

Make sure the TPS doesnt hit anything on that adapter block.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SDot82
The VAFC2 purple wire does not provide a ground, it provides power (12V). So just ground the switch on the VIAS and run the power from the VIAS to your VAFC2 and you will be good
So purple wire goes to the left wire and the right wire goes to ground? Where is a good ground source in that area.

thanks for all the help guys!

The adapter plate pictured is made by maxS. He was kind enought to make this one as a special order since I didt not want to remote mount my IACV.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Kevlo for President

Similar to mine.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:08 PM

hmm yah looks like the TPS connector might bump into the IACV plate. good eye! I'll be sure to make sure that I check that before starting.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:21 PM

1. I used a section of standard hose from AutoZone
2. & 3. Yes, but I used the other one as a vacuum source for other stuff since I'm S/Ced
4. I used that one for EVAP and seems to be working fine
5. run the FPR off that one.

I think you can leave the 3 on front open, correct? I thought you had let the one for the VIAS vent to atmosphere.

Sounds like you got the wiring taken care of.

I looped my coolant lines as well.

Your concerns:
I had to extend some wires, but that's because of where I mounted some stuff. Gotta kinda find that out as you go.

I made a bracket to hold my throttle cables, not sure how most people do it. The lines are slightly adjustable on the bracket they mount to with jacking nuts. You don't want your throttle plate to be open when you're not on the gas, and you want your plate to open fully for the most power, so anywhere in-between is fine.

Sounds like you're pretty much ready.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:29 PM

hmm didnt know i had to connect the fpr. where does the 4th gen fpr connect to the USIM?

Yah it looks like the two brass ones need to be open for ventilation but not sure about the 3rd one. Ive heard both ways is fine but that should be easy to figure out once everything is on.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM

where did you get that big adapter plate from? My VI is already done, but i'd like to use a IACV one day.. (Dont have it connected)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM

see post 6
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 PM

doh, thanks.. lolers
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM

hmm didnt know i had to connect the fpr. where does the 4th gen fpr connect to the USIM?

Yah it looks like the two brass ones need to be open for ventilation but not sure about the 3rd one. Ive heard both ways is fine but that should be easy to figure out once everything is on.
Connects to to the original manifold, you'll see it when you take it off.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:29 PM

ive taken it off before and the only connections i saw were brake booster (passenger side), EVAP (near TB, between IACV and TB there is a nipple sticking up), EGR guide tube + coolant lines(back driver side), line to PCV valve(middle).

maybe because you are a 99?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:07 PM

hmm, not sure. This is a pic from the 97 FSM. The hose colored in Red is the one I am talking about.

Not a big deal, you seem to be pretty prepared, so just make sure everything you disconnect has a new home, and that the FPR has a vacuum source.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:42 AM

I going to be using the 00-01 rear valve cover and just took a look at it. There are 2 openings, one on each side, and a nipple sticking out of it. I know the opening on the driver side is for the PCV valve but what are the other two for?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:05 AM

There is a breather hose that connects the rear valve cover to the front valve cover. You will need the 5th gen breather hose since the 4th gen hose is too short. Or just use some heater hose with the right diameter.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:09 AM

I'm full of pictures this week:

I got mine from DAVEB, I did use heater hose too as Steve said and it worked fine, but I'm kind of **** about things being correct.

Edit: BTW, this is from the 2000 FSM, and it doesn't even show it correctly. DAVEB can tell you the part number.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:12 AM

Do you have 5th gen coils?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:04 AM

yah i have the 00 rear coils. ok so one hole is the pcv, one is breather hose what about the third one? and im guessing the breather hose is the big nipple sticking out on the right side.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 AM

yah i have the 00 rear coils. ok so one hole is the pcv, one is breather hose what about the third one? and im guessing the breather hose is the big nipple sticking out on the right side.
You have a third hole in your rear valve cover? Strange. I can't think what that would be.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 AM

doh, can anyone with with a 00-01 help me out. Its a big hole on the passenger side of the rear valve cover. slightly bigger than the pcv hole.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 AM

hmm, mine didn't have a third hole either, not sure what that would be. I'll look at the FSM to see if I can find anything.

Edit:Can't tell from the FSM, can you take a picture? Otherwise I would just plug it, since I think you can live without whatever the 5th gen uses it for.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:06 AM

yah there is no 3rd hole. I was retarded and thought one of the holes for a bolt was a hole in the cover.

well I couldnt wait and started to install the 00vi and realized no matter how much you prepare there are always things you run into. first roadblock I hit was that the 4th gen EGR guide tube is not easy to take off and seems impossible to take off unless you remove the other EGR tube which is no easy task. If you plan on replacing your EGR tube make sure you have remove the other tube that runs sideways and blocks the guide tube. Once that is removed it becomes alot easier but that tube required alot of PB Blaster + waiting. Also the 00-01 rear valve cover is thinner than the 4th gen so the 4th gen bolts do not work. If you want to go with the rear valve cover route (which i highly suggest if you want it to be more of a bolt on) then make sure you get the bolts. Anyone know the part number for these bolts? I hope I can pick them up from the dealer tomorrow. Also the PCV valve is different. The 4th gen PCV valve is smaller and does not fit correctly in the 00-01 rear valve cover so make sure you pick up the correct PCV valve. Also does anyone have the bolt sizes I will need if I plan to bore out the center two mounting holes in the 00vi so that I can use a 8mm bolt with the 4th gen lower plenum?? Also does anyone know a good place where there is a hole in the firewall so I can run a wire to my vafc. I was just gonna drilll a hole which shouldnt be hard but if there is an easier place that would be better.

Hopefully I can get all this finished by Sunday. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:10 AM

Also I did find the FPR connection to the manifold and am probably gonna run that to the nipple on the front of the 00vi. Is that a good enought vacuum source?

unfortunately the nipple right next to it broke off.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Im having trouble finding 8mm bolts that are long enough to fit the two center bolts in the 00vi. Where did you guys get them and what size did you get?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Also I did find the FPR connection to the manifold and am probably gonna run that to the nipple on the front of the 00vi. Is that a good enought vacuum source?
unfortunately the nipple right next to it broke off.
You're gonna run the manifold vacuum source to the VIAS nipple or the FPR? The VIAS vacuum source is usually run from the intake piping.
Which nipple is broken? Looking from the front of the engine is it on the left or right side?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 PM

I thought the vaccum source for the vias was internal and that nipple sticking out of the front next to the two brass nipples was available to use for anything else.

the nipple that is broken is the on the right side of the TB opening if you are looking into the opening. Its basically wheret the FPR vacuum source is on the 4th gen manifold.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:27 PM

I ran into the same issues with my EGR. Not a joy to deal with. In fact I made my lower manifold so I could bolt either manifold up, but I don't see myself doing that very often since it's such a PITA to work with the EGR switchover. I also racked the hell out my knuckles on that tube from the manifold to the EGR valve. I feel your pain on that part of the project. If you bought the rear braces for the 00VI, those are a real joy too.

On the valve cover, make sure you have the rubber insulators/bushings on the valve cover bolt holes. That may account for the height differences you are experiencing. I used the 4th gen ones. Used the 4th gen bolts too. If for whatever reason yours is different, DAVEB can tell you the part numbers.

Never tried using the 4th gen PCV valve.

My set-up is a little different than yours, but I used English 1/4-20 bolts to bolt down the upper. I used 4-1/2" on the front holes, and 5-1/2" on the back. I couldn't find anything metric in that length anywhere where I live. I did find the English ones, but ended up ordering stainless steel socket heads from Mcmaster Carr.

Someone may have better suggestions, but run all my wires though a hole I drilled in the fender well, underneath the liner. Kinda a pain to take the liner off every time, but leaks are not even a worry in that location. They come out in a sort of hard to reach location inside, but it's worked for me. I drilled the holes just below where the wires for the door come through the firewall. (Or something comes through the firewall there, can't remember for sure) I then run the wires through the well and bring them into the engine compartment through a hole in the fender framework behind the battery. None of this is probably clear, but if you decide to go this route it will be clear when you take the fender well off.

Not sure what one you are talking about on the front? If you mean by the VIAS, I’m not sure there is vacuum there. If so, I have a leak then.

My nipple broke off too where the throttle body mounts, nearest the firewall. What I did was buy some 1/4" (I think that size) brass tubing and cut a short length off. I then drilled out the hole a little so I could stick it in part way and be fairly stable. I then epoxied it into place. It's probably stronger now than the plastic one was.

Hope some of this info was useful, I know you were trying to get it done by this time.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:12 AM

it fires up but dies after a few seconds. most likely a leak but too tired to go at it anymore. will take a look tomorrow. anyone know the most common place for a leak or why it dies?

didnt see any rubber bushings on the old valve cover. I just stuck in washers andit seems to work pretty well.

PCV valve problem was just needing to take off the rubber grommet off the old valve cover.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:44 AM

Did you put the fuel pump fuse back in? (If you removed it)

If it's a vacuum leak, someone can give it just enough throttle to keep it at 1000 rpm, you can usually hear a sizable vacuum leak. If it dies even while revving it, it's probably not a vacuum leak unless it's an enormous one.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 AM

it stays alive when reving. I think I can hear a leak but cant really pin point it.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:15 PM

Does it run on it's own when the engine reaches operating temp?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM

its working!! will take pics tomorrow. my problem was a huge leak between my adapter plate and the manifold because i didnt have that metal bracket that sits between the manifold and the 5th gen TB. Made my own gasket and it seems good.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:42 PM

its working!! will take pics tomorrow. my problem was a huge leak between my adapter plate and the manifold because i didnt have that metal bracket that sits between the manifold and the 5th gen TB. Made my own gasket and it seems good.
Well congrats Steve on your install, I guess you got it done before I did. That makes you the first San Jose Maxima with the 00VI, I'll be the 2nd very soon.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:24 PM

haha you will prolly have it working fully before I do. I havent hooked it up to my vafc yet. I need to get the VIAS connector. I dont have to have it i guess but it makes for a cleaner install.

anyone know the part number of that connector?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 PM

also did anyone notice the sound change with the 00vi? it seems to have a low growl at low rpms now. kind of like my friends 330ci. I dont know if I like it as much cuz it makes my car sound like its definltey modified even at low rpms but its a nice growl that I think most people will like. I havent really heard anyone mentioning the sound difference with an 00vi so just wondering if others noticed anything.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:24 AM

Yeah I notice a sound change in my exhaust after I installed the 00VI.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:40 PM

Congrats Dude!! It's one of those things that if you had to do it again, you could probably do it in half the time. I noticed a sound change with mine as well by the way. I just did some dynoing the other day, and my torque curve is flat as Kansas now!! Now I just need a higher rev limiter.

Quick Reply: 00vi setup verification