All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

need more information about the 00vi

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 06:43 PM

need more information about the 00vi

I have read the stickies a bit but i dont really see anywhere where there are instructions of installation.
i see one for sale for 500 dollars so i'm very anxious to learn about all of this very quickly to see if i should buy it, seeing as how its a rare opportunity.
I sort of understand the concept of the variable intake manifold, but thats about it.
i guess my first question is what items do i need and why.
also, how hard is the installation of this? im fairly confident with my "skill", if things are explained clearly to me, even though i have little experience.
so hopefully somebody can clear this all up for me, i would appreciate it very much. if i dont get this, i'll have to push it back for awhile and buy that greddy exhaust for 477 to tide me over, the 00vi just seemed more worth it.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The best thing you can do is read every thread you can find on this. There are about 10 ways to do the swap, so you need to decide how to do it. For example you need to figure out:

Which lower IM to use (4th vs 5th gen)
Which TB you plan to use
What you plan to do about the EGR
How do you plan to mount the IACV
What kinds of adapters will you need depending on your set-up

Those are the first questions you need to research and figure out.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:19 PM

Agh. Why are there so many options.
Isn't there one that is just better as far as the bottom im?
And tb?
I don't even know what the egr and iacv are. I'm just trying to not get passed up on a good deal.
Do you think 500 is a good deal for everything?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
THT
Throbbing member

It depends on how easy you want things to be in terms of fabrication. Personally, I think 500 is high as I paid $80 for the 2000 upper IM, TB and IACV adapter plates, ported 4th gen lower IM, modified rear valve cover and rear coil packs.

EGR: Exhaust gas recirculation
IACV: Idle Air Control Valve

Please, read the threads in this forum; all the answers to your questions are there.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The problem is, is that everyone has a different opinion on which is the best way. I used the 4th gen lower, but some don't like to have to modify and re-drill the lower. The other thing is that if you use the 5th gen lower you need fuel rails and stuff also, plus need to be concerned with the injectors size difference. I had 370's so I really wanted to use the 4th gen lower. I had the holes on mine welded shut and re-drilled, some use threaded inserts.

The 5th gen throttle body bolts up to the manifold the easiest. Then the problem is getting the IAC plumbed in. In the 5th gen, that comes in below the TB. This set-up doesn't work with the 4th gen because there is stuff in the way. So some try to use the 5th gen IAC, while most use the 4th gen and plumb a line to the TB somehow. I used the 4th gen TB because I didn't want to spend the money on the 5th gen. Problem then is that the TB doesn't bolt up to the manifold. I didn't mind too much since I made my own brackets. If you had to purchase them it might just be cheaper to get the 5th gens TB. Some even use the Pathfinder TB.

For EGR, Some people just disconnect it, some remove everything from the EGR system, some buy the 2000 guide tube so it works as intended.

Another problem is interference with the rear valve cover. Some grind down the posts on the rear valve cover to clear. Some use the 5th gen, so you don't need to grind down the posts and the PCV hose is a cleaner fit then. Problem with using the 5th gen is the 4th gen coil packs don't fit real well then. I modified a 5th gens cover so I could use the 4th gen coil packs since I already spent the money on new coils a while back.

There is just so many options, no one has taken the time to write all this out with all the different configurations. There is no perfect way since everyone has different views on what’s the best for their set-up