All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

SMT-6 gains !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

SMT-6 gains !!!

Hi everyone,

I will let the dynos speak for themselves...

All SAE corrected

The green is with SMT timing advance and 13.5 A/F
The red is with SMT timing advance and stock A/F
the blue is with stock timing and stock A/F

Ignore the high rpm clutter on those runs its partly the SMT's fault and the fact the engine was heat soaked to hell at that point (Dyno was recording over 94 degree temps in the garage). So this shows that A/F doesn't do much for my car, most of the gains are from timing. Next up is gonna be race fuel and a **** load more timing via SMT-7.

This was the best run of the day with +8 timing advance and 13.5 A/F and no heat soaking, Also with the DEK working right.

Much to my surprise no detonation at all, so there's alot more timing advance to be had with lower air temps and race gas , but best of all the VQ35s with 4th gen ECU swaps can get even more.

201 WHP and 197 WTQ and Im still making power at the stock redline, I need an extended rev limiter...
Old 06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Kevlo for President

Any Haters wanna chime in on this
Old 06-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I will...

I want it
Old 06-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Damn, I really need to get the tuning done. Timing advance is

How do the gains FEEL? Is an honest to godness 12whp significant on the butt dyno?
Old 06-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Kevlo for President

You can defenatly feel it.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by JClaw

How do the gains FEEL? Is an honest to godness 12whp significant on the butt dyno?
The timing is notiecable , but I would say the A/F is not. When I switch from stock timing to this timing map people who ride in my car def notice a difference.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:38 PM

What (if anything) is the advantage/disadvantage to this over a JWT or TS ECU?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:43 PM
SLOW

It's a piggyback so you can adjust it as opposed to the JWT or TS which is just set values.

Those are great gains, and more importantly, clear, concise dyno proof of the gains rather than the typical, anecdotal "Well it feels pretty awesome." Numbers > Opinions. 12hp is definately a gain you can feel. That's about what a Ypipe gives and it definately kicks you in the pants a little more.

Hater comment - You need to raise your MEVI switchover by about 400-500 rpm and a 7200rpm limiter.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Terran
What (if anything) is the advantage/disadvantage to this over a JWT or TS ECU?
advantages-

you can tune your own A/F
you can tune your own Timing
you can adjust for larger/smaller injectors
you can add extra fuel injectors and write maps for them
you have a rpm switch for the DEK (SMT-7 has 3 switchable outputs)
dual mapping, you can run two different maps and switch or have a mode for nitrous
maf to map conversions (next project this winter)
closed loop lamda tuning (you can tune A/F in closed loop, good for boosted guys or for cars that run lean in closed loop from having no EGR)

thats the big list theres alot more things its capable of

Disadvantages-

no rev limit increase
no speed limiter removal
hard to install, not for the novice tuner. If its not done right it can operate quite terribly.

SMT-7 is where its at, I wouldn't recomend anyone buy the SMT-6. Just wait for me to get the SMT-7 up and running later on this year.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
It's a piggyback so you can adjust it as opposed to the JWT or TS which is just set values.

Those are great gains, and more importantly, clear, concise dyno proof of the gains rather than the typical, anecdotal "Well it feels pretty awesome." Numbers > Opinions. 12hp is definately a gain you can feel. That's about what a Ypipe gives and it definately kicks you in the pants a little more.

Hater comment - You need to raise your MEVI switchover by about 400-500 rpm and a 7200rpm limiter.
Yeah Neal I def dont BS and post saying that it feels good. I know there was power there without a dyno, its just that im very methodical and analytical so I had to dyno to show the gains.

Yeah im gonna adjust my DEK switchover to a higher setting, I left it at 4800 to be consistant on the dyno... Also I need a higher rev limit, I will wait until TS gets the 96 5 spd limiter cracked and go with a L spec ECU setup.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:22 PM
VQ Wizard

Old 06-05-2005, 02:22 PM

Yes it is.... i drove this thing today and after driving joes car and my car back to back this thing feels like a rocket. Especially once the tach needle sweeps past 5000rpm.....
Nice work Joe
Old 06-05-2005, 02:30 PM

This is awesome. How much more could I advance my timing since I have a VQ35? How much of a gain do you think A/F and timing advance combined would give with a VQ35 (I run 94 Octane all the time, so as much as it can be advanced)? I have the stock 95 Ecu.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:05 PM

This is awesome. How much more could I advance my timing since I have a VQ35? How much of a gain do you think A/F and timing advance combined would give with a VQ35 (I run 94 Octane all the time, so as much as it can be advanced)? I have the stock 95 Ecu.

Your outta control.......
Old 06-05-2005, 03:19 PM

Nah, we're still a long way from SR's 108 mph traps and this is a step in the right direction.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Those are some nice numbers, what other mods do u have?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

wow where did this come from !!

I must have one
Old 06-05-2005, 04:32 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Where the hel! have I been? How much is this SMT? I like all the benifits but the inability to alter the rev limit is a big deterance for me.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Advance till it detonates, prob +15 or more with the VQ35 heads

A/F depends on how rich the car is when you initally dyno it, mine wasnt to bad so I didnt make much of a gain there. None the less I wrote two A/F maps 13.0 and 13.5. The 13.0 is for road course and daily drive, the 13.5 is for 1/4 mile use only. This will eventially be my race gas program with the SMT-7, I will run + 12~15 timing. Funny thing is with a 13.5 A/F it only gains 2 WHP and a little more TQ.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by Iilac
Those are some nice numbers, what other mods do u have?
Apexi intake with franken car midpipe (possible mid range killer gonna try stock 5th gen midpipe in future)
ported DEK manifold with 70 mm pathy TB
warpspeed y pipe
test pipe
dented custom B pipe ( wonder if that hurts my power at all)
stillen muffler
12 am homemade grounding kit (put together last night with scraps of 14 gauge wire I had lying around)

oh and SMT-6
Old 06-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by krismax
wow where did this come from !!

I must have one

I wonder....
Old 06-05-2005, 05:01 PM

great numbers! thanks for sharing the dyno data.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I am totally in the dark about this product. Did a quick google search and found some info. Any one car to fill me in a bit. So this unit could be easily used to tune a FI car with larger injectors? What about using a Z32 MAF? Price? Just direct me to some links if you don't want to anwser.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Kevlo for President

Never tested until I bought product, soon after I got Joe to buy it. Joe got it working before me. You can tune for bigger injectors. No need for Z32 maf, once we get it all working, we can switch to a MAP sensor.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

excellent joe, i cant wait to see it, if you ever drag again at NED.

still shooting for the quickest and/or fastest stcok ECU N/A 3.0?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:50 PM
aka UNCDooD

very interesting. how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:03 PM
SLOW

I think some of you guys are confused as to what this is. It's a piggyback controller that can alter injector and ignition maps (among other things)... it does the same thing that they do with your JWT or TS ecu (except raise the rev limiter). It does the same thing that Emanage does, it does the same thing for air fuel (but not for ignition timing) that an S-AFC does. It's just a brand of product we haven't seen used until now. The good thing about it is that you can alter the stuff yourself (or have a shop do it) as opposed to relying on JWT or TS to set the values (which are then unalterable unless you send your ECU back to them, etc).

This isn't some magic modification that anyone can slap on their car and gain 12hp and tq. If you've already got an aftermarket ECU, there's no point. If you've already got an S-AFC, it won't do anything for your air fuel that you can't do with the S-AFC but you could adjust timing with it. It does the same things emanage does, same thing other piggybacks do, you guys just haven't heard of this brand and product most likely so that's why you are like "wow what is this and why haven't I heard of it this thing seems awesome?" It's just yet another good option for tuning.

98SEBlackMax please don't think I am posting this to in any way belittle your gains or your efforts here. Making a new piggyback work on a car like ours that doesn't have a ton of aftermarket support is no small feat. I just wanted to clear it up for some people perhaps think this is some never-before-heard-of event, the adjustment of AF and ignition via piggyback.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:23 PM
VQ Wizard

If you've already got an aftermarket ECU, there's no point.

I'm going to have to dissagree with you on that one. In my experience it seems that aftermarket ECUs are only relivant for the things which you cannot do via a piggyback. Such as increased speed and rev limiters. Unless of course you've had the luxury of having the ECU company actually tune your car in person. This is specifically the reason why I chose to go with the L-spec TS ecu and keep my SAFC2 to do my own A/F tweaks.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:39 PM

joe can you e-mail me a copy of run_file 28? I wanna compare it to my best dyno
zackmax99@yahoo.com
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
I'm going to have to dissagree with you on that one. In my experience it seems that aftermarket ECUs are only relivant for the things which you cannot do via a piggyback. Such as increased speed and rev limiters. Unless of course you've had the luxury of having the ECU company actually tune your car in person. This is specifically the reason why I chose to go with the L-spec TS ecu and keep my SAFC2 to do my own A/F tweaks.

You know what I meant. I should have qualified that statement. If you have something like a normal JWT ECU or TS ECU (not L-spec) that already adjusts the air fuel and ignition timing, then there's really no point to something like this. Sure you might be able to get another 2 or 3 hp, something like that, by fine tuning things further. My point was that this doesn't do anything that can't be done with another piggyback or ECU, and I think you and most people knew that. My post was directed to those that think this is some magic device that will give super gains over and above what they already have done, which if they've already adjusted their AF and ign timing, is not the case.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:55 PM
VQ Wizard

You know what I meant. I should have qualified that statement. If you have something like a normal JWT ECU or TS ECU (not L-spec) that already adjusts the air fuel and ignition timing, then there's really no point to something like this. Sure you might be able to get another 2 or 3 hp, something like that, by fine tuning things further. My point was that this doesn't do anything that can't be done with another piggyback or ECU, and I think you and most people knew that. My post was directed to those that think this is some magic device that will give super gains over and above what they already have done, which if they've already adjusted their AF and ign timing, is not the case.
I didn't dispute the rest of your post because I agreed with it. I still think that, in most cases, buying software that is specifically written on someone elses vehicle is no better than generic OEM software.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Advance till it detonates, prob +15 or more with the VQ35 heads
That's what, 20-25whp with the A/F tuning (headers and all of my other mods most likely threw it off somewhat).

That's almost too good to be true. Poor tranny.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

I think some of you guys are confused as to what this is. It's a piggyback controller that can alter injector and ignition maps (among other things)... it does the same thing that they do with your JWT or TS ecu (except raise the rev limiter). It does the same thing that Emanage does, it does the same thing for air fuel (but not for ignition timing) that an S-AFC does. It's just a brand of product we haven't seen used until now. The good thing about it is that you can alter the stuff yourself (or have a shop do it) as opposed to relying on JWT or TS to set the values (which are then unalterable unless you send your ECU back to them, etc).

This isn't some magic modification that anyone can slap on their car and gain 12hp and tq. If you've already got an aftermarket ECU, there's no point. If you've already got an S-AFC, it won't do anything for your air fuel that you can't do with the S-AFC but you could adjust timing with it. It does the same things emanage does, same thing other piggybacks do, you guys just haven't heard of this brand and product most likely so that's why you are like "wow what is this and why haven't I heard of it this thing seems awesome?" It's just yet another good option for tuning.

98SEBlackMax please don't think I am posting this to in any way belittle your gains or your efforts here. Making a new piggyback work on a car like ours that doesn't have a ton of aftermarket support is no small feat. I just wanted to clear it up for some people perhaps think this is some never-before-heard-of event, the adjustment of AF and ignition via piggyback.
Im aware that the JWT or TS is similar, but Id like to have the ability to tune my car's engine to its maximum potiential on my own. JWT and TS are across the country from me and the only way to get it done right 100% with their ECUs is to make a long trip. Also off the shelf ECUs from JWT and TS have weak timing advance, they have to make sure the car will run ok with 91 octane and in hot temps. I think with race gas and advanced timing I might squeeze out a bit more power. This is another reason I like the SMT, I can run different fuel/timing maps and switch them on the fly. The ECUs don't have dual mapping, but im sure they could make it happen for a bit of extra cash. The SMT does this stock, I switch my maps with a toggle switch I installed.

Also IIRC no one with a 4th gen has been able to directly advance timing with E-manage or any other piggyback, just retard timing. Also when you compare E-manage to the SMT-7 the SMT is far superior, its just not as user friendly or popular in this country.

Well im gonna get ready and head out to Maxus now, I will see some of you guys in a few days.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I have a JWT ECU but i will be getting a SMT because like joe said a 3.5 can push way more timing than what JWT has on his ECU's.

And what kevlo said is another thing the smt makes your maf obsolete.I will switch to map and prob run ITB's
Old 06-06-2005, 07:33 AM

Will this still allow the ECU to retard timing if knock is detected like the JWT/TS will or are you basically running without a safety net?

Good luck at maxus!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Kevlo for President

The ECU will continue to pull back timing until Knocking is stopped so it is pretty safe.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Kevlo for President

EEEK I got mine working again, 11 degrees advance is fun
Old 06-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Toss the Apexi filter, it's too small. JWT POP back-to-back runs proved this.

Also, did you consider alcohol/water injection instead of race gas?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp

Only 6 wires?? wow
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 AM

Nice work Joe!

OT:
Did you get my PM about my trip schedule?

Quick Reply: SMT-6 gains !!!