All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

VQ35 Secret Sauce manifold nearing completion.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SR20DEN, The Intake Man!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:07 AM

Hey matt, you still wanting that new TV?? you not online when i'm online, holla at me.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:33 AM

This is the 1st performance mod for the VQ35 that looks like it may be worth the $ IMHO...signing up.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM
VQ Wizard

Without seeing a head to head comparison no one can honestly say.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:51 AM

Dont worry, I trust yours more anyway

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Without seeing a head to head comparison no one can honestly say.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:52 AM

subscribing :-D
Old 07-21-2004, 12:23 PM
I miss the .org!

Good work...can't wait!

If it's a small one man operation, seems like it would be best if you had a few on hand at all times. Do the core swaps as they come in.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:00 PM

I assume this will work on the 6th gen VQs also? because I definately want this mod.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
I assume this will work on the 6th gen VQs also? because I definately want this mod.
I shot SR20 a PM earlier today about being the 6th Gen test mule. The fact that (1) he's interested and (2) I'm only 1:45 mins away may mean that this happens. I'm waiting to hear back from him regarding details.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:49 PM

While I don't know if it will work on the 6th gen, I do know that the upper collectors are definitely different.

The 6th gen includes the EVAP system into the upper IM, while the 5.5th gen's EVAP system are completely seperate.

SR20DEN: You've got a PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Lightly modded

hey man, I've been trying to get in touch with you through PM's but you haven't responded in a while. i'm the guy with the 4th gen trying to get this done to my MEVI. do you still think you could do this with the MEVI? if you could respond to my PMs that would be awesome. thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:38 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
hey man, I've been trying to get in touch with you through PM's but you haven't responded in a while. i'm the guy with the 4th gen trying to get this done to my MEVI. do you still think you could do this with the MEVI? if you could respond to my PMs that would be awesome. thanks.
The last reply I got from you was on 7/02 and you know the .org was down for almost two weeks. I am unsure as to what else you want me to say that I already haven't. Yes I will try one and no I won't make any guarantees on it. And on top of that, I am sorry to say, the MEVI isn't my top priority right now. The DE-K plastic manifold is the next project.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Subscribing
Old 07-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

I'm interested to know more too!
Old 07-21-2004, 04:01 PM
VQ Wizard

My PM box doesn't autosave outgoing messages so sometimes I don't knwo if I have replied to a certain message or not. Please direct manifold specific questions to my email mhwilliams@pinevilledsl.net and include "Secret Sauce" in the message body or the subject line. And those of you that choose to contact me this way please incluse your .org name. This will help me get a better handle on getting these questions answered in a smoother fashion.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 07-21-2004, 04:17 PM
IgS

im in for sure
Old 07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

ill most likely be in....yo sr20den im hitting you up on aim now with some questions
-J
Old 07-21-2004, 05:20 PM

subscribing
Old 07-21-2004, 05:31 PM
6yrs old=36,500 miles :)

how long are we talking here?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:46 PM

how'd i miss that all this time.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:23 PM

SSR, Special Suace, 6th gen IMs... oh my!!!!

Good to see a couple different (groups of) people working to expand our potential mod list. My wife is going to be ****ed when she hears that I am adding to my WTB list
Old 07-22-2004, 02:33 PM

Clicking the subscribing button is fine in most cases but not here. I think by posting that your subscribing in this case it shows SR20DEN that there is a strong interest for this, which is important when taking a risk to bring a new product to market.

Originally Posted by Larrio
Old 07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Clicking the subscribing button is fine in most cases but not here. I think by posting that your subscribing in this case it shows SR20DEN that there is a strong interest for this, which is important when taking a risk to bring a new product to market.
Actually this is my thought as well. A show of hands representing those who're interested in this is what I wish to see.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:56 PM

I'm interested.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:09 PM
VQ Wizard

I also want some feedback about me doing this vs. SSR who is also gauging interest in making an intake manifold.

If they make about the same power but mine costs less, which one would you buy? What are your thoughts on making a stage II that'll make power at a higher redline?

Keep the coments rolling folks. Im doing this for you.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

It also looks like you are futher along as SSR doesn't have a prototype done on either the Altima or Maxima. Nor are they sure that one will even work well as they admit a manifold for the FWD VQs will have to be smaller(ie.. might reduce the gains that they saw for the Z) At least you have some research to say that your design should show some gains. And hopefully your prototype won't cost nearly as much to make. Given the history of .org people though, you will probably have to actually get 1 or 2 done and see what it does.

I also want some feedback about me doing this vs. SSR who is also gauging interest in making an intake manifold.

If they make about the same power but mine costs less, which one would you buy? What are your thoughts on making a stage II that'll make power at a higher redline?

Old 07-22-2004, 04:18 PM

Ill be honest with you here. comparing both, I would definatly want something that is well built and has quality, not just a cheap mod that will not last that long. I think people want that security of having something that is well built and will last a very long time. If you can assure us of that, you will have a lot more buyers... and buyers who will recommend you to other buyers. I dont know if that helps much, but thats what I think.

Now, if you make a stage two that will make more power and a higher redline with quality also, that would be amazing.... I would definatly be down with that.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:21 PM

That is definatly the leverage Matt needs. If you can beat them to the maxima and the altima then you are set.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It also looks like you are futher along as SSR doesn't have a prototype done on either the Altima or Maxima. Nor are they sure that one will even work well as they admit a manifold for the FWD VQs will have to be smaller(ie.. might reduce the gains that they saw for the Z) At least you have some research to say that your design should show some gains. And hopefully your prototype won't cost nearly as much to make. Given the history of .org people though, you will probably have to actually get 1 or 2 done and see what it does.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:24 PM

I say don't worry about SSR. If and that's a big "if" they ever come out with their IM, it won't be for quite a while (months). If yours is ready to go soon you should have a significant number of buyers. Of course if the time comes whene there is direct competition between you and SSR I think the following will unfold:

If power gains are similiar and your price is cheaper, most will go with your IM. Of course this is a given knowing the reputation max orgers have for being cheap....ahem....I mean thrifty.

If the SSR manifold makes somewhat more power than yours I still think you will get most of the market share. Your IM will cost less, have easier installation, and not attract undue attention at dealerships. Only a small percentage will go for the SSR IM. This is similiar to the comparison to those who chose a Y pipe over headers. SSR, if you are reading this, I think the market will support two totally different IM designs IF yours makes more power, so you should still pursue your plans in this area.

Hard to decide on a Stage 1 vs 2 right now for me. I would want to see power curves from dynos.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
I think its great that ssr is coming out with mods for the maxima, but I dont understand why they are tackling other mods without finishing the others that they started.. Its been a while since they altima had a turbo kit, and we are still waiting.. I mean comon. If you guys dont do it quick, then someone else will, and you will loose in that market. Theres a lot of people that will buy your turbo kit "IF" it ever comes out for the maxima..

No donor car for the Maxima kit, and nobody else has bought the Altima kit.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM

NONE YET? Wow, i thought there would be plenty of donors by now!

No donor car for the Maxima kit, and nobody else has bought the Altima kit.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't think you can expect "somewhat" more gains inbetween either intake. I mean there won't be significant gains even vs the stock intake. I'm sure there will be good gains but gains inbetween intakes won't be that large.

We will be lucky if ANYONE makes an complete intake mod for the maxima/altima. If SR is willing to make them for a decent price for you guys, you are lucky indeed.

I say don't worry about SSR. If and that's a big "if" they ever come out with their IM, it won't be for quite a while (months). If yours is ready to go soon you should have a significant number of buyers. Of course if the time comes whene there is direct competition between you and SSR I think the following will unfold:

If power gains are similiar and your price is cheaper, most will go with your IM. Of course this is a given knowing the reputation max orgers have for being cheap....ahem....I mean thrifty.

If the SSR manifold makes somewhat more power than yours I still think you will get most of the market share. Your IM will cost less, have easier installation, and not attract undue attention at dealerships. Only a small percentage will go for the SSR IM. This is similiar to the comparison to those who chose a Y pipe over headers. SSR, if you are reading this, I think the market will support two totally different IM designs IF yours makes more power, so you should still pursue your plans in this area.

Hard to decide on a Stage 1 vs 2 right now for me. I would want to see power curves from dynos.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Horra!!

SR20DEN,
Are you getting 247whp with just this mod alone? I'm assuming, no. Are these theoretical numbers? If not I guess that it is on your 5.5gen with you mods, right?
Old 07-22-2004, 06:07 PM
imported_JIC_A33

Originally Posted by looslip
SR20DEN,
Are you getting 247whp with just this mod alone? I'm assuming, no. Are these theoretical numbers? If not I guess that it is on your 5.5gen with you mods, right?
uh no he has other mods

Old 07-22-2004, 06:19 PM
VQ Wizard

My mod list is posted in several other threads.

Some people are making a realistic 225-235whp with everything I have except for my IM. And I also dynoed with the stock B pipe which you all know looks pretty bad. I will have plenty of dyno charts to show from various other cars and setups when the time comes.
It is my goal to make 255whp with my stage I production part and possibly more with other tweaks.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:11 PM

As you stated up above... Higher redline with a new ecu or without? What kind of redline are we looking at with your stage II? 255whp is how much engine HP? (i mean how nissan says 255hp nissan maxima, how much will it be with all the mods that you listed and the new IM?)

My mod list is posted in several other threads.

Some people are making a realistic 225-235whp with everything I have except for my IM. And I also dynoed with the stock B pipe which you all know looks pretty bad. I will have plenty of dyno charts to show from various other cars and setups when the time comes.
It is my goal to make 255whp with my stage I production part and possibly more with other tweaks.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Wild at Hurt

Im interested
some thoughts..........
*you might need more than 2 cores especially as China On says if someone drags their feet on the return.
*it is still a variable right? If you lose a little on the bottom end that means it flows more air on both stages is that correct?
*you say you are getting them back broken. Is your mod more durable than stock?

Just to throw out numbers, Lets say it is $400. You would be better off charging $750 and refund $350 when you get the core back.-or- $350 refunded if received within 4 days otherwise it is $300 refunded if after 4 days.

I would not even worry about the other IM. You have got the trust factor going here and not the other guys.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:53 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Mick Max
Im interested
some thoughts..........
*you might need more than 2 cores especially as China On says if someone drags their feet on the return.
Once it gets going I will have a few of them.

*it is still a variable right?
No it isn't

*you say you are getting them back broken.
Is that supposed to be a question or a scenario?

Is your mod more durable than stock?
Duribility is no different than stock.

Just to throw out numbers, Lets say it is $400. You would be better off charging $750 and refund $350 when you get the core back.-or- $350 refunded if received within 4 days otherwise it is $300 refunded if after 4 days.
My total target price is <$300 shipped. Not including the core charge. And Id like to develop a quick turnaround system for those that send me their manifold outright for modification.

I would not even worry about the other IM. You have got the trust factor going here and not the other guys.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:41 PM

Matt,

As you know, I'm in for this mod. You should have no problem selling these, especially at the price point that you have targeted.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Banned

SR20, I know you're pretty busy with this project, and as such, I have an interest in this setup, but I'd also like to know if you have worked with Hot Shot on having them make changes to their header design? Since the .org was down for awhile, I was hoping there would be some progress made, or updates on their headers?

Sorry for the OT question.

Quick Reply: VQ35 Secret Sauce manifold nearing completion.