Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Quaestions about rebuilding suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Questions about rebuilding suspension

I plan on getting Tokico spring/strut combo (either HP or Illumina) and rebuilding my front suspension either with stock parts or a mix of stock and ES parts. Basically, no matter what I choose everything will be getting rebuilt. I know once I take apart my car it will all make perfect sense, but I am trying to order everything I need now so I can take advantage of a 3 day weekend and get the car done in one shot. So I need some help to understand what I need or can expect. The car has 240K on it and the suspension is shot.

A few questions I didn't answer myself while searching the forums:
About the front "strut mount", is it OK to replace just the bearing and spring cup or does/should the entire upper assembly be replaced? I have seen some pics posted where people seem to be buying the whole entire assembly new. I was thinking the metal parts like the bracket and upper cup can just be re-used? What about the spacer between the body of the car and the top of the strut assy, does that usually need replacin'?

If I buy a new LCA from Nissan, will it be pre-assembled with the ball joint and bushings?? So I could just slap it in? Actually I am probably gonna just do ES bushings but I'd like to know as a back-up plan. Also, the ES LCA bushings are going to make the car noisier, yah?

For the rear struts, any parts usually need replacing other than the strut boot, spring seat and bump stop? I have seen some people replacing more parts than these, and I would guess that the metal parts don't wear. Again, I have not disassembled a Maxima's suspension before, so I am not sure what usually goes wrong here.

Last one, on the Illumina struts, where is the **** for adjusting the shock? Is it on the top for the fronts and side for the rears? Haven't seen any, so again I have no clue. How easy is it to change the settings?

Thanks for any help guys (and gals).

Last edited by made in china; 08-01-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
STFU n00b!

front struts.. you can just replace the two wear parts- the bearing and the spring cup thingy. I bought them from KYB for about $40 per side IIRC and they included the cup and bearing. no need to replace the metal plate with the studs stuck to it unless yours is corroded, bent, stripped, or otherwise damaged.

the front LCAs should come from nissan with the ball joint and bushings in them.

the ES bushings will only add a small amount of road noise- just a few % kinda thing. since you're changing everything else out, it's going to be a completely different car anyway, so there's no worries on what's being changed.

rears... I don't know if they make replacement rear beam bushings for your car- not too familiar with the beam cars on what years they have what, but if you can find bushings for the beam, I'd recommend changing them. with your mileage, they're sure to be worn out and will provide a significant handling improvement. otherwise, not much to be done.. make sure you have new dust boots and bump stops for all 4 corners. the rears DEFINITELY need new bumpstops.. they get beat on pretty bad, especially if you have a load in the back- people or system or cargo.

illumina adjusters.. I believe fronts adjust from the top, rears have a **** sticking out of the side near the bottom. don't remember 100% tho. not hard to adjust really.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM

i didnt notice a huge difference in road noise with my es bushings and im currently using all of them avaible

and the rears are a pita from what im told by the installer of mine, but i noticed a huge difference. it deff made the rear more lively and tossable. and urs may be in need of replacement anyway. id say do it while ur in there, but expect them to take a while

and if ur doing everythign and uve got that many miles, u might want to look into motor mounts too, i know its not technacially suspension but if ur ordering es bushing might as well get them all. and while i didnt notice a huge diff with my subframe bushings, my stockers were worn totally out with only 70k

best of luck and pick up plenty of pb blaster, and be really careful with the lower rear strut bolts, mine liked to strip, they held me upthe longest out of everything
Old 08-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Super Pro makes trailing arm bushings for the rear of the A32. There may be other bushings available for the beam, I have read about some testing done to B14's. Some can be changed some cant.

Illuminas have adjusters at the tips.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Cool thanks for the tips ya'll, very helpful.

ColdSHO, yeah I also planned on the ES subframe bushings too. My current OEM subframe bushings are in tatters and the subframe is knocking around.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
front struts.. you can just replace the two wear parts- the bearing and the spring cup thingy. I bought them from KYB for about $40 per side IIRC and they included the cup and bearing. no need to replace the metal plate with the studs stuck to it unless yours is corroded, bent, stripped, or otherwise damaged.

Matt -
What's the "spring cup" thingy??
I thought it was just the bearing and the isolator "gasket" that needed replacement??
I'm still trying to isolate the clunk/rattle in my front susp.
I replaced the sway bushings, and endlinks - nada.
I replaced the Strut Bearings a while back, but not the isolator or the Strut Mount assembly.
I can ONLY assume this is the culprit.

Can you be more clear on the cup thingy?! Don't remember that part last I was in there....

thks,
gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 08-13-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 PM
STFU n00b!

upper strut mount..
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 PM

Right - thanks.

gr