Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Z32 Caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Z32 Caliper rebuild

Well i thought id pay back for all the informtion ive taken. Recently decided to tackle rebuilding my z32 calipers, much easier then i thought.

If you order the kit form nissan, you only need to order 1 rebuild kit, as it rebuilds 2 calipers. So you get 8 dust boots, 4 little o rings, and 8 larger o rings.

If that says anything, very few parts which means it is easier.

Remove the caliper from the car have it infront of you now:

1. Remove the 4x14mm bolts holding the Caliper together, be careful not to strip them.

2. Once those are removed, residual brake fluid will leak out, so be prepared for a little spill.

3. You will notice 2 small o rings in between the 2 bolt holes, remove that o ring, and throw it away.

4. Remove the dust boots, you will need something sharp and pointy, if you look at the boot you will notice there is a metal c clip holding it in, just stick it underneath and pry out, and it should come off, you should now have access to the pistons.

5. If the calipers are OK, you can use compressed air to knock out the pistons, be careful, depending on the amount of air used the pistons can come out VERY fast. Mine were stuck in , so i had to use a flat blade screw driver to pry them out, try do it equally so the piston comes out straight. In this setup you can choose to remove the dust boot with the caliper assembled, so then all you have to do is stick a piece of wood, 2x4 or something in between and just apply compressed air into the inlet, should be enough to knock the pistons out, this way you dont have to worry about 1" diameter steel pistons flying around lol.

6. Once all the pistons are out, you will notice a black ring on the cylinder wall, remove that, that is basically all that seals it, i figured there would be multiple perhaps metal rings

7. Now time to clean them up, my calipers were from the junk yard so i had some light rust marks and stuff on the piston skirt, i cleaned it off with some steel wool, and cleaned off the cylinder walls, gave it a nice wash with warm water and used compressed air to dry out the passages.

8. Now this setup i wouldnt say is mandatory, if the cylinder walls are bad, you should hone them out with brake hone, it is very similar to the cylinder hone, the 3 prong one, i personally didnt have one so i chose to avoid this setup for now, if a problem arises then i will come back

9. Now put the piston rings back on from the new rebuild kit, they will just pop in, slide the pistons back in, might want to put a light coating of oil or someting on the o ring so the piston slides in nice and easy.

10. put the dust boot on, very simple, nothing challenging to tht

11. Remember to put the little o ring back on that seals the caliper together, if you forget that you will have a fairly bad leak.

12. Put the 4x14mm bolts back on, and torque them to spec, and voila your done, you have yourself some freshly rebuilt calipers!

really theres not much to it, but for people like myself who like to have some knowledge before jumping into things its nice to kinda read them and think of any potential problems that may arise or common issues etc.

I will post up pics later tonight, right now 1 side is done, the other side is drying. I will post up pics of the bad piston i had to get rid of, damn that thing was pitted pretty bad!