Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

To sway or not to sway ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 AM

Talking To sway or not to sway ?

I once read in a now invalid thread that... there were some cons to having an anti sway bar? What may be some cons to this modification? I believe it stated things such as oversteer on ramps etc. That it alsmost felt unsafe?

I am planning on fully upgrading my suspension with LTB stage II and SFC.
I am at phase one with FSTB and H&R/T-Illuminas
Phase two would be LTB II and some kind of rear upgrade (swaybar and or RSTB)
Phase three would be the best of all SFC.

Thanks for any ones input.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Conecarver

Not many cons - maybe weight, stiffness on bumps, clearance?? That oversteer rumor has been pretty much debunked now.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM

so I wont feel my back end wanting to fly/spin out when hitting bumps on ramps due to the rear being more stiffer? Atleast not enough to feel unsafer than stock?

Thanks BJ
Old 09-17-2007, 03:04 PM
retired moderator

no.....

the people who complain of "snap oversteer" concerns are people who don't know how to drive.

Our cars have natural heavy understeer. RSB will reduce the understeer, but will not change the balance to oversteer-happy. You would have to do other things to make that happen...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Conecarver

One thing I learned this season was if you do start to come around just plant your gas pedal to the floor. It both shifts the weight of the car rearwards and pulls the car the direction the front wheels are pointed. Sunday I ran 62lbs in my rear 225 width tires with full RSB and 550lb rear springs. Here's my first in-car video - not once did it come around (sorry bout the shakey video).

Click here to view
Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 AM

I've had an RSB for probably about 6 months now. On Progress (probably just a bit stiffer than H&Rs, so your results will be similar) springs I haven't had a single legit problem with the rear end coming around. The two conditions I've ever experienced any oversteer in are:

Extreme throttle roll-off on turn-in, you can feel the back start to come around juuust a bit, but never anything that you have to correct

And HARD slaloming, usually about 40mph.

The main thing I noticed with the RSB was it seemed that the car rotated a bit better and all four tires were gripping instead of just the fronts.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:34 AM

Thanks everyone for the explainations and impressions. As long as it dosent change that balance, I will be happy to add it to my set up.
Much Appreciated....and...its now on my list.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Dont bother with a sway bar. If you are that suspension crazy get your beam bent.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by JSutter
Dont bother with a sway bar. If you are that suspension crazy get your beam bent.
You tease
Old 09-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
I once read in a now invalid thread that... there were some cons to having an anti sway bar? What may be some cons to this modification? I believe it stated things such as oversteer on ramps etc. That it alsmost felt unsafe?

I am planning on fully upgrading my suspension with LTB stage II and SFC.
I am at phase one with FSTB and H&R/T-Illuminas
Phase two would be LTB II and some kind of rear upgrade (swaybar and or RSTB)
Phase three would be the best of all SFC.

Thanks for any ones input.
Change your order to SFC's first, then the LTB II and then decide whether you need that RSB at all.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 AM

Cool Calling All Suspension Enthusiasts

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
Change your order to SFC's first, then the LTB II and then decide whether you need that RSB at all.
thats a very good thought there. Have you done any of that?
IMO a SFC would do everything a suspension enthusiast is looking for !!
It seems really worth it, and from what Ive read the best you can do.

Lets see
Can some people rate thier suspension mods from a scale 1 to 10
If someone has installed the SFC prior to any RSBs please leave FEEDBACK it will be much appreciated.

IMO heres how i rate what I have to give you an idea
FSTB 2 out of 10
Mild Drop with Quality SHocks(check sig) 7 out of 10 (rated together as one mod)
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

(swaybar and or RSTB)
That's like saying exhaust and/or springs. A sway bar is not even remotely comparable to a RSTB in terms of what it does.

Advantages to adding a rear sway bar:

- Your car will feel nimbler and maybe a little more planted on smooth pavement.
- It will be easier to put your power down in a corner.

Disadvantages to adding a rear sway bar:

- The rear end less likely to stay planted over rough pavement.
- The rear end will be more likely to slide out when you hit the limit of your tires' grip.

A RSTB is a chassis stiffening mod. The Maxima's chassis is one of the weakest around, so every bit of stiffening helps.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Can some people rate thier suspension mods from a scale 1 to 10
That's not really going to be informative because suspension mods affect each other, and different people have different preferences.

For example, a guy who has stock suspension would rate a RSB higher than SFCs because the RSB makes a bigger difference. A guy who has coilovers might rate SFCs and a RSB the same because the SFCs make more of a difference for him. A guy who has regular lowering springs might hate his RSB but love his SFCs.

It's all about the combo and what you want to do with it.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:00 AM

understood, just threw it out there.
but I now am decided on dumping the rear sway for now and just going with the SFC when I have $700 to blow.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 AM

700bucks, u can get sfc's install and a rsb for less than $700

i have both, noticed a bigger diff with the rsb(progress) in the handling department the sfcs made a bigger difference in ride and comfort
Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM

thanks.... ColdSHO..for the input..more feedback and opinions the better.... I am still debating both components
Old 09-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Don't debate the SFCs. Get them. Debate the rest later. Trying to squeeze handling out of a car with a noodly frame is like trying to teach calculus to your average 10 year old.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
STFU n00b!

What they said. get the SFCs.. and hurry up and buy an LTB before they're gone and I close the doors for good. you won't be disappointed.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM

^^ This helps me greatly. Well writen and not once did you use the word "PROLLY"..... Thanks for that, and for the advice.

P.S. No more LTB. Matt is out and no more to be made. Why are these not mass produced?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 AM

tHANKS DKO.....that is very awsome info there
I now have the LTB Stage II sitting in the bedroom !! I got one of the last few !(for now anyway) and will be installing in the near future.
As for the RSB... I am holding off for now. And Pretty Much foreseeing the SFC for a nice overall ehancement sometime before the next decade.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 AM

How influencial are the ES busshings with the LTB will it decrease the performance of the LTB at all?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by dko
no, not really. the LTB performace shouldn't be shortchanged, but the suspension as a whole is noticeably firmer with the ES bushings. there are also other reasons to replace the stock ones with ES:

1. your stock ones are almost certainly torn to shreds
2. for the LTB install you will need to retighten plate that holds the LCA bushings in place. if you have stock/OEM bushings you will need to torque them to the factory spec while the car is on the ground. if you use ES bushings you can crank them down as much as you like with the car in the air or on the ground.
Edited... I've been grappling with the decision to try the ES bushings and go through the hassle or keep the stock ones...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 AM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
Edited... I've been grappling with the decision to try the ES bushings and go through the hassle or keep the stock ones...
thanks for the edit. since i installed the ES bushings i never needed to know the distinction.... as far as whether or not it is worth it; i would say definitely. but because of the relative hassle of installation if you aren't already going to be working on that part of the car because of a LTB install or a suspension overhaul I wouldn't say it's worth all the work just to replace the LCA bushings. unless your stock ones are just absolutely destroyed.

this is assuming that your front end is as rusty as mine was. if it's in decent shape the install should only take 30mins - 1 hr for a somewhat experienced installer. since you are in the salt belt, though, i would assume it would be as much of a pain as mine was (4hrs for LTB stage 2, ES LCA bushings, ES front swaybar bushings, front swaybar endlinks, ES subframe bushings). unless you have airtools or can rent shoptime
Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Yeah, no air tools here... I'm seriously considering finding a shop that will do it and paying them a little $$$ to install the Stage 1 LTB and ES LCA bushings...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:50 AM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
^ Yeah, no air tools here... I'm seriously considering finding a shop that will do it and paying them a little $$$ to install the Stage 1 LTB and ES LCA bushings...
it should only be 1-1.5 hrs of shop time. even a muffler shop can do it... that or consider finding a local .org member near you that does installs. you can prob. get away with getting it done for the price of a case of beer and a few bucks...