Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Bbk Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Project Ruby......

Bbk Help!!!

I've had my BBK on for almost a year.

Somethings I have noticed. One looking at the BBK PIC thread, looking at Irish's two piece setup and some of the comments that followed I realized I also had my rotors on the wrong side.

Today I finally changed them. One reason was because the right side the rotor sounded like it was scraping against something. I have noticed this before, but it was only when I was pushing the car extremely hard.

So I figured I'd take a look and find the problem and swap the rotors to the correct side.

One thing I noticed following Karim's write up is looking at his pictures the Q45 torque arm seemed to have plenty of clearance around the rotor. Mine is pretty close. But it seems as everything is on it centers itself out.

I'm also running 20MM spacers and my 17s inner barrell just BARELY clears the caliper, and I mean BARELY!!

So I swapped the rotors around and went for a drive. Now the rotor that was on the right that is now on the left is making a HORRENDOUS scraping sound while I am rolling, and forget hitting the brakes, it not only gets louder but you feel it through the pedal.

What's the deal? The other rotor seems fine and doesn't have this problem, I know I forgot to check to see if the rotor was centered on the ring, but once the wheel is on shouldn't it center itself out?

I need my car to get to work so if anybody has any advice by midnight would be appreciated. I'm scared to drive it. It sounds like I'm just scraping the rotor away

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 PM
retired moderator

wait....are you running the 2pc rotors as well?

as to the scraping - are you sure you didn't bend the dust shield accidentally and it's rubbing on th back of the rotor? common problem after messing with brake/wheel stuff.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Project Ruby......

No 2pc rotors here, sorry for the confusion.

After about 2 hours of fiddling, me and a buddy figured out the problem. Apparently the inner barrel of my rim and caliper are a lot closer then what I originally thought.

When I first installed I already did some grinding thought I did enough, apparently not. Had to grind some of the top of the caliper away some more to get it to "clear". The noise is gone so that's good.

What doesn't make sense is why it started on the passenger side, and when I swapped the rotors the driver side got really messed up?

In any event this is why I need 18s. In the near future hopefully with my new job.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:48 AM

I've had that... add some spacers between the bracket and rotor.. that will fix your problem.. trust me =)