Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

K-Sport Coilovers Talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noooooooo, not Ksports. Garbage! Springs sag, seals blow very easy, the camber plates slip and the bolts strip. All typical Ksport problems. Dont expect them to last very long. Couple years at the most. I used to sell some Ksports, but after the myriad of comebacks I had from the junk failing I stopped carrying them altogether. Now i've dealt a good amount in Megan's coilovers and those have been performing superbly for quite sometime.
Just heads up guys
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Grimsta
Noooooooo, not Ksports. Garbage! Springs sag, seals blow very easy, the camber plates slip and the bolts strip. All typical Ksport problems. Dont expect them to last very long. Couple years at the most. I used to sell some Ksports, but after the myriad of comebacks I had from the junk failing I stopped carrying them altogether. Now i've dealt a good amount in Megan's coilovers and those have been performing superbly for quite sometime.
Just heads up guys
Thanks for telling us something we have known for a over a year now....

But thanks again....
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Admittedly I didnt read through all 50+ pages, but I read the first few pages and the last couple and it didnt seem like it had ever been mentioned.

Glad you know about it
Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM

Riding The Dragon tomorrow. I'll have to see if something breaks.

Edit: Everything survived. No camber slippage. Amazing performance over stock. I've very happy with my purchase (so far).

Last edited by Hexon; 07-26-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Grimsta
Just heads up guys
or to go an affordable route....there is the option of whats in my sig

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For k sports..other than the blown shock, they are very livable and the trade off for the rough ride is well worth it to me. Earlier this week I placed the order for the new shock and they not only gave me a little lower of a price but also thru in a dust cover and the rubber gasket that sits toward the bottom of the spring free of charge. I just had to mention them. So far customer services seems pretty good.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:31 PM

Grimsta-I would buy K-Sports over Megan any day. Your talking about K-Sports being junk, I think Megan is junk!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:19 PM

I have been working with my ksports for the past 6months, to get rid of the noise/popping.
as long as you dont have a bad pillow ball joint, which is a different noise, then from the springs popping.
You should have no pre-load on your springs, maybe tight at best. but i also have implemented this theory to my CO's: the UNSHOCK

WHAT IT IS
The unshock is really a friction relief system. Yes, we know in reality it is a flat needle bearing, but because it takes all the sideways twisting friction out of the suspension spring, it is really a friction relief system. It is a flat needle bearing with hardened steel races on both sides of the bearing, that fits betweeen one side of your shock/fork spring, and it's fixed mating surface.

WHY IT WORKS
It works, because it relieves one of the undesired forces automatically inhierant in your suspension. This is the twisting force, induced by the screw shape of the spring. Suspension is suppose to go up and down. The shape of the spring, automatically requires it to go up and down, but because of the winding shape of the spring, also twist, in the direction the spring is wound. This retards easy up and down movement, binding and slowing suspension action, especially during the first 3" of movement. This is ironic, since this is where you want it to be most supple and responsive.
Luckily, with the unshock letting the spring move freely on one end, the twisting motion of the spring is taken away from the suspension action. This results in the spring moving much more freely during initial travel, which lets the actual shock and it's valving do it's job of keeping your wheels in contact with the ground.

I took this theory from a well known Company called F2 racing, dealing with motocross and desert bikes.

I have able to put a kit together for the ksports using this theory that helps about 95% of the noise coming from the front of these CO's let me know if anyone is interested in it.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 PM

I am definitely interested. But I would like to see some pictures.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM

that is what the kit looks like x2

i will get some pics of them on the ksports..
Old 09-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by toyick
I have been working with my ksports for the past 6months, to get rid of the noise/popping.
as long as you dont have a bad pillow ball joint, which is a different noise, then from the springs popping.
You should have no pre-load on your springs, maybe tight at best. but i also have implemented this theory to my CO's: the UNSHOCK

WHAT IT IS
The unshock is really a friction relief system. Yes, we know in reality it is a flat needle bearing, but because it takes all the sideways twisting friction out of the suspension spring, it is really a friction relief system. It is a flat needle bearing with hardened steel races on both sides of the bearing, that fits betweeen one side of your shock/fork spring, and it's fixed mating surface.

WHY IT WORKS
It works, because it relieves one of the undesired forces automatically inhierant in your suspension. This is the twisting force, induced by the screw shape of the spring. Suspension is suppose to go up and down. The shape of the spring, automatically requires it to go up and down, but because of the winding shape of the spring, also twist, in the direction the spring is wound. This retards easy up and down movement, binding and slowing suspension action, especially during the first 3" of movement. This is ironic, since this is where you want it to be most supple and responsive.
Luckily, with the unshock letting the spring move freely on one end, the twisting motion of the spring is taken away from the suspension action. This results in the spring moving much more freely during initial travel, which lets the actual shock and it's valving do it's job of keeping your wheels in contact with the ground.

I took this theory from a well known Company called F2 racing, dealing with motocross and desert bikes.

I have able to put a kit together for the ksports using this theory that helps about 95% of the noise coming from the front of these CO's let me know if anyone is interested in it.
where did you find those? the ones you posted? i'm very interested
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Count me in . I have the new sets that Ksport was giving out , their not helping much .
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM

8O

Whats the price on these??!!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:52 AM

the actual bearings are expensive. i will get more info on them tommorow...but let me know ill get some pics on the asap..
Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 PM

welp guys its time for me to send out 3 of my coilovers, i have three blown struts 2 rear an FR... its still under warranty so is there somebody in specific that i should talk to, what do i do???
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Gee fellow orgers thanks for the help
Old 09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Hit up Ksport, since their still under warranty they should take care of it . This guy name Anthony took good care of me when I had 2 blown struts.

Last edited by blkAEmax82; 09-22-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM

i called and some guy said to e-mail whats wrong, i did ant ask how do i go about sending them in but no replies... october 6th ends my warranty
Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Check on that tomorrow by calling or AIM them, I had to check up on what was going on myself.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM

I just installed my k-sports on my 6th gen max about a month ago and got a alignment and everything but it still pulls to the right bad and the steering wheel shakes when i go over 40. Whats my problem? Thanks a head of time to!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM

You have a bad alignment Anthony.

Anyhow, update:

I removed all of the preload off of the springs. My struts are blown so I need to adjust my rebound to full stiff(at least 3 of them, maybe all 4 ). The car rides smoother. Less bounce and less harsh. However it doesnt feel as 'planted' as before. Also I think my bump steer was slightly increased.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by ae01maxine
Check on that tomorrow by calling or AIM them, I had to check up on what was going on myself.
will do
Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Hey guys, I saw some people making mention of shock dynos earlier in the thread. I thought THIS might be relevant.

It looks like the dynos are of some 240sx coilovers, but IMO it's probably a decent representation of the quality and consistency of most of their products...

I don't own ksports so I can't really comment, but enjoy the info!

(sorry if repost...yes i searched)
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 PM

Lmao... at least from what I bothered to understand, this basically proves the shiittiness of ksports.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Schnell kaputt

Not surprising that coilovers like these have such poor dampers however one must remember that these coilovers are for people who want to slam there cars and not lose shock travel and have dampening adjustability (because it's cool) at an inexpensive price. They're fine for the general public but for the ones wanting to use them for its intended purpose they'll piece together their own parts or break out the wallet.

I don't think I'd have a problem buying KSports but I sure as hell wouldn't use them if I was going to work my car over.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 PM

Wow ksports suck!! ive had mine for less than a month and my front right has already blown!!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM

You sure? Cause thats just abnormal for any thing, crappy dampers or not...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM

I'll pop in here again in support of ksport (since every noob with an issue off the bat wants to spew that they are junk). While I have had to replace 3 all under warranty, I am going on 3 years with them and fairly happy. I'd like to believe they improved their dampener design.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:28 AM

i had ksports on my 97. while i dont think of them being the best, for the money you cant go wrong. Now, if you drive like an idiot u will blow them. After looking at the ages of most the people who use them and complain...if capitol america thinks we need to charge them more for insurance cause of there driving record...than chances are...there ksports are gonna suffer to.....
Old 10-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Horizontally opposed.

i had ksports on my 97. while i dont think of them being the best, for the money you cant go wrong. Now, if you drive like an idiot u will blow them. After looking at the ages of most the people who use them and complain...if capitol america thinks we need to charge them more for insurance cause of there driving record...than chances are...there ksports are gonna suffer to.....
I'd disagree. I'm not bashing ksports, but IMO, you CAN go wrong for the money. the issue here, is not ONLY damper longevity, but damper PERFORMANCE as well. Even if the damper held up for 300k, what good would it do when all four corners of your car were damping suspension movement at completely different rates?! If you look at those shock dynos, you'll see that the difference between the front left and front right dampers is crazy. they're not even close to matched!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mowgli29
I'd disagree. I'm not bashing ksports, but IMO, you CAN go wrong for the money. the issue here, is not ONLY damper longevity, but damper PERFORMANCE as well. Even if the damper held up for 300k, what good would it do when all four corners of your car were damping suspension movement at completely different rates?! If you look at those shock dynos, you'll see that the difference between the front left and front right dampers is crazy. they're not even close to matched!
Agreed. And furthermore, coilovers arent meant to baby around. I would rather drive my car to death and them last 30k miles than drive like a grand ma and them last 60K miles... But I dont even drive my car to death and they dont last more than 15K miles...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 AM

How much are they worth now brand new ? 650? I bought mine back when they were new to the market and payed like 800... The thing is...I do plan on upgrading eventually, I just dont know what I'm going to upgrade TO.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mowgli29
Ok so again you get what you pay for.
Plain and simple. some people want cheap parts, and dont care as much about that. so they get ksports, i am not personally gonna get them again, but when they were on my car, i got great response times from ksport, as well as i got about 25k on them.
And i didnt treat them well, how ever i did pay attention to roads, bumps, spead bumps and things of that nature.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by chillin014
How much are they worth now brand new ? 650? I bought mine back when they were new to the market and payed like 800... The thing is...I do plan on upgrading eventually, I just dont know what I'm going to upgrade TO.
coughkonisandeibachscough
Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Horizontally opposed.

Ok so again you get what you pay for.
Plain and simple. some people want cheap parts, and dont care as much about that. so they get ksports, i am not personally gonna get them again, but when they were on my car, i got great response times from ksport, as well as i got about 25k on them.
And i didnt treat them well, how ever i did pay attention to roads, bumps, spead bumps and things of that nature.
I'm tempted to make the argument that there are setups of similar prices that would net you MUCH more for your money.....BUT, I probably shouldn't go that direction. This thread isn't the place for that. PM me if you want.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 AM

all i am saying is some people like to ride in what feels like a pogo stick..imho!
and i am not a maxima genius i would like to know more about these other setups though..
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Why do you have to bring up age? Ive worked my as* off too buy coilovers and i dont drive my car like a so called idiot! and they still blew but i had a talk with ksport and they are refunding my money.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Mowgli, you got aim? I need to talk to you.

Anyhow, Bottom line with Ksports is this: Damper quality is far from superb. Be it the consistency from damper to damper or their resistance to blowing. Noises are also associated with them, due to the lack of a decent strut bearing and non-locking strut mounts. However, on the positive side, they are cheap. Customer Service seems to be good, and lastly, they are coilovers, which offer great performance, adjustability and features.

Note: I was generalizing. Im sure you can debate all day long about what I said, but GTFO. This is a summary, and Im sure I forgot something too.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Horizontally opposed.

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Mowgli, you got aim? I need to talk to you.

Anyhow, Bottom line with Ksports is this: Damper quality is far from superb. Be it the consistency from damper to damper or their resistance to blowing. Noises are also associated with them, due to the lack of a decent strut bearing and non-locking strut mounts. However, on the positive side, they are cheap. Customer Service seems to be good, and lastly, they are coilovers, which offer great performance, adjustability and features.

Note: I was generalizing. Im sure you can debate all day long about what I said, but GTFO. This is a summary, and Im sure I forgot something too.
I'd agree with your summary. Main points are there. PM'ed you about AIM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:31 PM

I haven't been checking the .org much since college started, but I just got done readjusting my ksports and thought I'd see what's going on in here. I had been having problems with popping for about a month now, and after turns my steering wheel would slightly be off center in the direction of the turn, until i turned the opposite way. I discovered that the driver's side seat perches were loose and that I could turn the entire shock body with my hands. Well I tightened that and then tightened the camber screws, cause I think the camber has been shifting around on me a little as well. I took a small test drive and for the most part, most of the popping is gone. Tomorrow I will have to see if I fixed the steering wheel issues. I did notice some axle grease from the passenger side too, but I'll see how long I can go before I need to replace it.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about ksports. If anyone did ANY research before buying them then they would know about the problems people have had with ksports. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any blow, but I also drive like a granny over bumps and railroad tracks. These also aren't "set and forget" coilovers. You are going to have to get dirty occasionally to tighten and fix things.

Quick Reply: K-Sport Coilovers Talk