Advance Paint and Body Work Discuss painting and body work techniques. Frame and body panel repairs, PDR, proper use of chemical and safety equipment.

Next week is Plasti dip day for my 2002 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 AM

Next week is Plasti dip day for my 2002 Nissan Maxima

What is up guys, I'm gonna plasti dip my car Navy blue but I feel like I can do a little more then just Navy blue the car.

My thoughts are Black roof, spoiler, emblems, side mirrors, and maybe the hood whats yours ideas guys and recommendation
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM

have you done it yet? i wonna see what it looks like cuz i wonna do my car.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM

not yet because personal problems but hopefully in 2 weeks I am
Old 05-04-2013, 05:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by taken5
What is up guys, I'm gonna plasti dip my car Navy blue but I feel like I can do a little more then just Navy blue the car.

My thoughts are Black roof, spoiler, emblems, side mirrors, and maybe the hood whats yours ideas guys and recommendation
Send pics
Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM

I love the fact that people are posting plastidip threads in the "Advance Paint and Body Work" section. There is nothing "advanced" about plastidip...a 5 year old could paint a hood with that stuff
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
I love the fact that people are posting plastidip threads in the "Advance Paint and Body Work" section. There is nothing "advanced" about plastidip...a 5 year old could paint a hood with that stuff
Well I think is well advance then regular body paint.

It protects the paint and body.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM

Wrong. There are professional painters that struggle to get a good finish with Plasti Dip. It's a different skill set altogether. The problem is that people have "cheapened" the product with limiting it's uses to a bunch of emblems and wheels. Making a YouTube video showing how inexpensive the product is and spraying set of wheels incorrectly have people thinking that this is just a bad fad. In actuality, it's a new way to customize, soon to be replacing vinyl and maybe traditional paint.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by NightRider
Wrong. There are professional painters that struggle to get a good finish with Plasti Dip. It's a different skill set altogether. The problem is that people have "cheapened" the product with limiting it's uses to a bunch of emblems and wheels. Making a YouTube video showing how inexpensive the product is and spraying set of wheels incorrectly have people thinking that this is just a bad fad. In actuality, it's a new way to customize, soon to be replacing vinyl and maybe traditional paint.
plastidip will never replace traditional paint
Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM

That is true but plasti dip protects traditional paint and what does the traditional paint do nothing just shine
Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM

That is true but plasti dip protects traditional paint and what does the traditional paint do nothing just shine
  • paint protects the metal panels from rusting
  • Provides a little bit of of protection to the panels
  • Im sure there are more, but im not a P&B guy
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 PM

Not from manufacturers, but in terms of customization. You can lower your troll now.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 PM

• paint protects the metal panels from rusting
  • Provides a little bit of of protection to the panels
  • Im sure there are more, but im not a P&B guy
Plasti Dip can do the same, and can be made as a non-peelable product if the user desires. It can also me made to shine just as a traditional paint. The product has advanced greatly.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Plasti Dip can do the same, and can be made as a non-peelable product if the user desires. It can also me made to shine just as a traditional paint. The product has advanced greatly.
can plasti dip replicate the pearls in traditional paint?
or maybe replicate the metallics that you find in almost every car?

the downer of plasti dip is that it's offered in limited colors. all the colors are solid colors.

to be honest...plasti dip is easier to apply than traditional paint...yes i've done both. you don't have to mix reducers and etc to it. you can just apply with a thinner (or straight up rattle can) then let it dry. pretty much a no brainer.

so yes there's been development in plasti dip but for right now i do not seeing the product replacing traditional paint.

to the point of traditional paint not protecting..there is a self healing clear coat thats available. so if you do get a scratch a little heat in the sun and the scratch will be gone. can plasti dip do that?

to tiger's point..this is really your traditional advance body work section. so this is more frame pulling, mixing and applying traditional paints (primer, base, clear), putty (bondo) work and finishing, PDR, dent repair, rust repair, etc etc. the detailing section is more for plasti dip and touch up repairs.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
can plasti dip replicate the pearls in traditional paint?
or maybe replicate the metallics that you find in almost every car?

the downer of plasti dip is that it's offered in limited colors. all the colors are solid colors.

to be honest...plasti dip is easier to apply than traditional paint...yes i've done both. you don't have to mix reducers and etc to it. you can just apply with a thinner (or straight up rattle can) then let it dry. pretty much a no brainer.

so yes there's been development in plasti dip but for right now i do not seeing the product replacing traditional paint.

to the point of traditional paint not protecting..there is a self healing clear coat thats available. so if you do get a scratch a little heat in the sun and the scratch will be gone. can plasti dip do that?

to tiger's point..this is really your traditional advance body work section. so this is more frame pulling, mixing and applying traditional paints (primer, base, clear), putty (bondo) work and finishing, PDR, dent repair, rust repair, etc etc. the detailing section is more for plasti dip and touch up repairs.
Actually yes Plasti Dip can replicate pearls and metallics. Here is a cover that I did in the Maxima's BM1 Blue Pearl: Name:  IMG_20130518_171305.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  616.4 KB

Here is a Speed Shape of Diamond Cluster: Name:  8641289699_c737db1568_b.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  334.7 KB

Here is a glossed Hunter Green: Name:  8646481446_aaf1154b43_b.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  496.3 KB

So yes, Plasti Dip can be used to color match traditional paint as well. As for the self-healing clear coat, that's not traditional paint and is not yet a dealer option. As of today, Plasti Dip is. To touch up a deep scratch, put on a nitrile glove, dip your finger in Xylene, and rub the scratch until smooth. Wait fo the Xylene to dry, then give it a few sprays with dip. Scratch gone.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Actually yes Plasti Dip can replicate pearls and metallics. Here is a cover that I did in the Maxima's BM1 Blue Pearl: [IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/atoz350/IMG_20130518_171305.jpg[IMG]

Here is a Speed Shape of Diamond Cluster: [IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/atoz350/8641289699_c737db1568_b.jpg[IMG]

Here is a glossed Hunter Green: [IMG]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee97/atoz350/8646481446_aaf1154b43_b.jpg[IMG]

So yes, Plasti Dip can be used to color match traditional paint as well. As for the self-healing clear coat, that's not traditional paint and is not yet a dealer option. As of today, Plasti Dip is. To touch up a deep scratch, put on a nitrile glove, dip your finger in Xylene, and rub the scratch until smooth. Wait fo the Xylene to dry, then give it a few sprays with dip. Scratch gone.
pretty impressive. i wasn't aware that plasti dip was available in a color matched system. is there a site where i can purchase a color matched plasti dip paint? i'm talking matching a factory color with plasti dip.

self healing clear coat is traditional paint...it's applied similar to traditional paint. PPG and sillken sells it (i'm sure there are others out there)...it's expensive but for a car that came factory with it the shop must make the repair with the correct clear. it's not a dealer option...it's a manufacturer option. it's not something a dealer would apply in house on a new car.

hmmm so it sounds like the xylene makes the dip soft and rubs away the actual paint (dip) and you can touch it up. can you do that on the metallics and pearls also? what about the clear component? it's not "self healing" where you just leave in the sun and it's all good...but it's similar with a touch up paint (can or brush) where you just spray more paint on.

Last edited by DanNY; 06-04-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM

pretty impressive. i wasn't aware that plasti dip was available in a color matched system. is there a site where i can purchase a color matched plasti dip paint? i'm talking matching a factory color with plasti dip.

self healing clear coat is traditional paint...it's applied similar to traditional paint. PPG and sillken sells it (i'm sure there are others out there)...it's expensive but for a car that came factory with it the shop must make the repair with the correct clear. it's not a dealer option...it's a manufacturer option. it's not something a dealer would apply in house on a new car.

hmmm so it sounds like the xylene makes the dip soft and rubs away the actual paint (dip) and you can touch it up. can you do that on the metallics and pearls also? what about the clear component? it's not "self healing" where you just leave in the sun and it's all good...but it's similar with a touch up paint (can or brush) where you just spray more paint on.
Yes, the metallics and pearls will blend just as easily. Since it doesn't contain a hardened clear coat, more dip can be applied on top of the base dip. At this time, there isn't a site to buy pre-matched dip. However, a professional can paint match just as easily as a traditional paint. Give it time for those resources to become available as custom colors are fairly new.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 AM

You can get a kit for plastidip that you can mix your own colours. So essentially, there are countless colurs available if you want to mix them. That being said, that Gloss Hunter green is gorgeous

All of these here are additionals you can add to the painting process to ahcieve a different look than the bland typical dip
http://www.cardipcanada.ca/index.php...gory&id_lang=1

Glossifiers, Metalizers, and clears

Last edited by Bassbreaker; 06-06-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

im trying to decide on wrap or dip.

anyone done either to a maxima? im talking the full car.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
im trying to decide on wrap or dip.

anyone done either to a maxima? im talking the full car.
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...r-7th-gen.html
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
yeah i seen, but $2800 for that? no way.

either way i go ill be doing the work myself.

i do like the color of that one, if i was to go wrap id consider that color
Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Wraps aren't cheap.
I don't doubt that most of it is labor though.

I've seen whole cars dipped, and IMO they only look good for a few months.
Always imperfections showing up.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Yes, the metallics and pearls will blend just as easily. Since it doesn't contain a hardened clear coat, more dip can be applied on top of the base dip. At this time, there isn't a site to buy pre-matched dip. However, a professional can paint match just as easily as a traditional paint. Give it time for those resources to become available as custom colors are fairly new.
pretty cool...any idea what's the life span of plasti dip coating?

can i spray it and leave it for 10 yrs without it fading and flaking/peeling (assuming that there's no physical damage to the actual coating)?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

can i spray it and leave it for 10 yrs without it fading and flaking/peeling (assuming that there's no physical damage to the actual coating)?
Dude **** off if you don't like plastidip then get outta here. There is no need for your remarks.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Borker
Dude **** off if you don't like plastidip then get outta here. There is no need for your remarks.
Say goodbye to your "Junior Member" status.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted DanNY and said to **** off?!

Wow.

IBT ban.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM

What. An. Idiot. Cmon Danny put down the iron fist
Old 06-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Say goodbye to your "Junior Member" status.
So what? Ill just make another one if he does. He's going out of his way to ridicule people who use plastidip. I agree plastidip is a little funky, but I think it's fine on wheels and if they want to use it he shouldn't get put down because of it. Especially from an administrator.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM

did it ever occur to you that it was a legitimate question being asked?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Sorry Couldnt do it because I didn't have enough time to leave my car for a day at the shop because I need it for personal and run errands but hopefully I can get it done soon.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
did it ever occur to you that it was a legitimate question being asked?
No it did not, due to the fact that he and another person were previously riding him trying to convince him that its not advanced body work. Shush
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Sorry Couldnt do it because I didn't have enough time to leave my car for a day at the shop because I need it for personal and run errands but hopefully I can get it done soon.
What color are you doing?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:25 PM

What color are you doing?
Navy Blue with Black Roof, side mirrors, and spoiler
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you can reply to this in 2 years...

fact...and this is a big fact...that it CAN NOT match a factory paint color 100%. i know it's coming...but it's not there yet.

i never said that i didn't like it...i wanted to learn more about it and i was given more information. thank you to taken5 for providing the information. i didn't know the product have come so far. back in the day it was used to dip tools in to protect them and offer a grip.

So what? Ill just make another one if he does. He's going out of his way to ridicule people who use plastidip. I agree plastidip is a little funky, but I think it's fine on wheels and if they want to use it he shouldn't get put down because of it. Especially from an administrator.
you can make another one...we'll keep banning all day long. there's a team of mods and admins to keep banning people. if you want to continue we will contact your ISP at home (Comcast?) and file a complaint and cut off your internet. i'm sure your parents will be happy about that. please don't push it.

it's funky...but at no point i put down the OP or the actual coating. it's called a discussion....when you grown up a little you can come back and talk to the adults. so in 2 years you'll be 21 and maybe then you can have an adult conversation.

No it did not, due to the fact that he and another person were previously riding him trying to convince him that its not advanced body work. Shush
oh look...the thread is still here...if i wanted to move it b/c it's not advance body work i would've done it. the fact that it's still here means i'm giving the OP and the product some respect that it can stay here. you know...respect...something you need to learn.

Have a nice day,
Dan

Last edited by DanNY; 06-25-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
That's awesome.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM

There's a place that does wraps near my job, and yeah you're looking at spending that kind of money, because of the labor involved. I saw a G sedan that had a pearl white wrap and it looked fantastic. They rolled the wrap around all the body lines and panels, and you couldn't tell unless you opened a door or trunk to see where the wrap ends with the paint. I asked the guy how long it takes to do it, and he said he had the car for 5 days, with two guys working on it, rotating between other cars.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
There's a place that does wraps near my job, and yeah you're looking at spending that kind of money, because of the labor involved. I saw a G sedan that had a pearl white wrap and it looked fantastic. They rolled the wrap around all the body lines and panels, and you couldn't tell unless you opened a door or trunk to see where the wrap ends with the paint. I asked the guy how long it takes to do it, and he said he had the car for 5 days, with two guys working on it, rotating between other cars.
yeah id like to do a wrap but could not pay someone to do it.

The paint on my car is really the worst thing about it. sucks to have a 5.7 gen maxima that looks like crap out the outside. lolol
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 AM

I'm sorry I'm just seeing your question. To answer it: Plasti-Dip has a life expectancy of 3-4 years for standard Plasti-Dip and 7-10 years for UV enhanced Plasti-Dip. Of course the nature of the product is not that it will chip or flake off after that time, but rather harden due to UV exposure. This makes it a bit difficult to remove. You can make Plasti-Dip permanent by applying PD Primer first.

PD usually will not fade. There is concern with using the Blaze colors and fading, however.

Quick Reply: Next week is Plasti dip day for my 2002 Nissan Maxima