8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Anyone else use sport mode all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 AM

Anyone else use sport mode all the time?

I've been using sport mode on my daily drives. I prefer the tighter steering, and unless you have a really heavy foot, I haven't noticed any difference in gas mileage. Just curious if I'm the only one
Old 03-13-2019, 07:11 AM

I use it a lot for the same reason, the tighter steering. Wish I could set it as the default.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 AM

I don't use it all the time, precisely because of the tight steering. I do not need tight steering in city driving.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:22 PM

I mainly use sport mode freeway driving.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
I mainly use sport mode freeway driving.
I've wanted so bad to use the Sport Mode, but am disappointed each time and turn it off for a month or so, then try it again. Same thing. Thing is I think of my Max as my sporty luxo mobile. The stiffer steering just does not sync with the vibes I'm getting from the rest of the machine. Years ago I was overjoyed when power steering came on the scene and I guess I'm spoiled now for I use the Max as my daily driver and want COMFORT with my style. Does not make sense to me to stiffen up my steering when the rest of the car says, "Whoa, I'm not really a sports car". My Vettes do have stiffer steering, but that stiffness is also accompanied with major road feel. Makes you feel more connected to the asphalt or concrete. Stiffer steering with zero road feel doesn't do it for me.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 PM

owned the car for 2.5 years around 52k miles, never drove normal, never ever, always sport mode.hate the loose steering on normal. had valve body and throttle body replaced at 35k or something like that. they blamed it on always using sport mode. told me the car wasnt meant to be driven daily in sport mode. what a joke lol, even said it on the receipt afterwards. at least it was all warrenty.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by punkfs
owned the car for 2.5 years around 52k miles, never drove normal, never ever, always sport mode.hate the loose steering on normal. had valve body and throttle body replaced at 35k or something like that. they blamed it on always using sport mode. told me the car wasnt meant to be driven daily in sport mode. what a joke lol, even said it on the receipt afterwards. at least it was all warrenty.
That's good to know. I like the heavier steering but not if it's gonna eventually cause repairs. I don't know why they made the steering so incredibly light. I've never felt steering that light before in any car I've ever driven
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I've wanted so bad to use the Sport Mode, but am disappointed each time and turn it off for a month or so, then try it again. Same thing. Thing is I think of my Max as my sporty luxo mobile. The stiffer steering just does not sync with the vibes I'm getting from the rest of the machine. Years ago I was overjoyed when power steering came on the scene and I guess I'm spoiled now for I use the Max as my daily driver and want COMFORT with my style. Does not make sense to me to stiffen up my steering when the rest of the car says, "Whoa, I'm not really a sports car". My Vettes do have stiffer steering, but that stiffness is also accompanied with major road feel. Makes you feel more connected to the asphalt or concrete. Stiffer steering with zero road feel doesn't do it for me.
I wish you could have normal mode steering with sport mode transmission programming.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 PM
MadMax in The City

Always in sport mode. The only time it goes in normal mode is when my wife drives. She say, she doesn't feel any difference between the 2 so why change it.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM

SPORT Mode from the moment I turn the car on. It WAS meant to be driven on SPORT mode all the time. Anyone who tells you differently is full of Excrement and is looking for an excuse like that poor excuse for a dealership who repaired PUNKFS's Maxima. I have owned TWO Gen 8's - put 45K on a 2016 and now 30K on a 2017.5, Both Platinum. Not a lick of problem driving SPORT Mode at all times on either. Don't let the stupidity of an ignorant Dealership get to you. I, too, wish I could have SPORT Mode as my default driving setting. I also own a 370Z Sport Touring (not a Daily Driver), and I miss one when I'm driving the other. That's how much fun both vehicles are to Drive. Enjoy your Gen8 Maxima Guys. It is the finest, meanest Front Wheel Drive Luxury Sedan on the Market, not to mention Most Affordable.... (I wish it was rear wheel, but hey, it is STILL a ton of Fun... And AWESOME Looks).

MY 2016 PLATINUM (Previous)

MY 2017.5 PLATINUM (Current)

My Z (Current)

Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Is it true you can get better mileage in sport mode because of engine braking?

Last edited by Lemonhawk; 03-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk
Is it true you can get better mileage in sport mode because of engine breaking?
I think you might be on to something but you are using the engine "braking" instead of " breaking" the engine
Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Corrected the "break" thanks robtroxel
Old 03-14-2019, 03:45 PM

Engine braking works when you're decelerating rapidly from high speed and using your brakes while in SPORT Mode. It is slight to where it is almost unnoticeable unless you know and are looking for it when it happens. Also, at high speed, your mileage is low. There is no way that a little engine braking will offset the low mileage from a high speed run. What I found works is when you are at high speed on the interstate and you want to slow down to a lower speed, simply lift off the accelerator and let her glide down without the use of your brakes till you reach the speed you want. This works when there is no one in front of you going slower so that you have to use your brakes. Now, when you you're having fun with the car, the last thing that would have to be on your mind is... your mileage...! If you truly are looking to improve your mileage, then accelerate moderately, and don't go over 70mph.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 AM

It depends on how much traffic there is
if it's busy, I prefer normal mode because the torque converter seems a bit smoother in this mode. if traffic is light, or I have a opportunity to have a little fun with it, or I'm attacking the on ramp... I'll switch to Sport mode.

Most of the time it's in normal mode though, and it still has plenty of get-up-and-go

Old 03-15-2019, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

In my third month of owning a new 2018 Platinum, and I'll admit I don't feel or hear (something about exhaust noise through speakers) anything different in sport mode. When I take it in for first oil change I'll check with dealer on if the button is doing anything different than lighting up.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:52 PM

No, I stick to normal mode most of the time. I like the improved throttle response in Sport, but the ride is even more harsh (I have an SR) and the steering feels more natural in normal mode IMO. This is the biggest problem I have with the Maxima, and the SR in particular. It's harsh like a sports car, but isn't much more fun to drive than other large sedans. The fact remains that it is front wheel drive and uses a CVT. If I want the sports car experience, I'll drive my S2000.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 PM

How can one not notice the heavier steering wheel and much better throttle/transmission response in sport mode? Smh.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:35 AM

I can see this as a viable option on the 2016-2018.
On the cars with 19" wheels (non-SR), sport mode is useless.
The steering is way heavier by default due to heavier wheels (Maxima engineers are lazy morons like the QC/QA people in the plant).
I don't notice much of a throttle difference like I did on the 2016.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hadn't tried it before, but now...

Have owned the 2018 Platinum for about 4 months. I knew the button was there but never tried it. After seeing this thread I decided to give it a shot Wow! I really like the difference and so does my wife. Will be using it for California freeway driving from now on