8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

"Way to go Nissan"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:19 AM

"Way to go Nissan"

I have to take my 2017 SL into my nearest dealership (which is 2 hours away), to have the head liner and sun roof shade replaced in 2 weeks. Thought it was a good time to have the recall on the Anti-lock brake actuator looked at and replaced if required. I was just informed by the dealership that there is a 5-6 week back order for the replacement part in Canada. And if I have the actuator looked at and it needs to be replaced my car is "grounded" until they can get the replacement part. They will provide a rental car (which is likely to be a piece if sh_ _ compared to the Maxima). The service manager, who has been excellent with many interactions at this dealership, said I should wait to have the recall checked until the spring, which in my part of Canada is the middle of March. Interestingthat Nissan recognises liability for any crash or fire caused by the the defective part should they confirm that it is actually defective, yet does not express culpability for those of use who have not yet had the potentially defective part checked. Not sure how that would go for them in a civil court in Canada.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Two options:

1). Take your car in as scheduled, get headliner fixed, and drive Nissan's loaner if needed.

2). Sell or trade your car ASAP.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:14 PM

240tomax - If the ABS light on your dash goes out in less than TEN SECONDS after starting the car, you almost certainly do not have a leaky seal in your ABS actuator pump assembly (hence do not have the fire risk). I check my ABS light every time I start my car, and it almost always goes out within two seconds.

My car, like yours, is within the 'recall for check' group, but I have been down this road before. My car was also recalled for this same problem a few years ago, and mine was 'impounded' by the dealer while the part was on order. My dealer paid my costs for a new Maxima SR rental until the part became available.

I simply check my ABS light on my dash every time I start my car, pay attention to be sure my brake pedal stays firm (loss of brake fluid will result in a very gradual 'softening/sinking' of the brake pedal), and drive merrily along until my dealer can tell me that Nissan is getting the necessary part to him very quickly when he orders one.

As this is a safety recall, and I am a geophysist (not a car expert), you may understandably hesitate to do as I am doing. But I am following the procedure Nissan suggested when they sent me the recall notice. (If ABS dash light does not go out within ten seconds after starting the car, or comes on when driving, pull over, stop driving, and have it towed to dealer).

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:24 PM

Cars are mass produced, some will have problems... Every car manufacture has its problems.
its simple...
Have it repaired or
Sell your car, assuming you are not buried in it.