8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Usb port slow charging?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 PM

Usb port slow charging?

I plugged it in for 30min and when I check the battery it's still at the same percentage. When I first bought the car it was fine but now both port are acting up. I have to use the cigarette adapter with usb port to charge it.Anyone with the same issues? Thanks

Last edited by chuemaxima; 07-26-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old 07-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Yes i don’t think they design it for charging. Only for music
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 PM

Have you tried different USB cords? I had similar issue with generic cords for iPhone 7. I bought some from Ali express and they work great. No charging issues.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 PM

Mines charge up fine and fast, if you have a iPhone, i would recommend getting official charger cable
Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 PM

I assume that your phone was under alot of load while charging.
but if it was not on speaker, bluetooth connected with car playing music, or on navigation, i'd suggest what they ^^ said about getting a "better" charger.

and those two ports are picky, they like what you plugged in first most of the time.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oddly, I just started having this same problem. I plugged my phone in yesterday when it was at about 40% battery left. After a 2 hour drive, with the phone plugged in the whole time, it was at 20%.

With carplay, i was listening to music and using maps -- but I've always done that and still the phone would charge up nicely.

Only difference for me is an update from ios 10 to ios 11. Has anyone else noticed a change in charging after that upgrade?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:01 AM

Not sure if this applies to you , but when I'm using waze+gps on my phone (I don't have a Maxima yet), it's enough of a drain to keep it from charging.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Not sure if this applies to you , but when I'm using waze+gps on my phone (I don't have a Maxima yet), it's enough of a drain to keep it from charging.
I suppose it could be related to the upgrade of apple maps in ios 11. I never had the problem before -- and I almost always have maps on when i'm driving.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 AM

i don't know about your phones, but my lg g5 (type-c usb) has the option of selecting what the connection will do: charge the phone, media file transfer, be as a charger to another unit, and two other unnecessary things. and it is sometimes annoying because i forget to check what it is doing after i plug the usb.

just a thought.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 PM

I have a Samsung galaxy s8 and I've tried different cords with no luck. Different phones and cords also no luck. I do see the display to charge or music etc with no luck either I will call nissan up regarding this issue
Old 09-28-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
i don't know about your phones, but my lg g5 (type-c usb) has the option of selecting what the connection will do: charge the phone, media file transfer, be as a charger to another unit, and two other unnecessary things. and it is sometimes annoying because i forget to check what it is doing after i plug the usb.

just a thought.
My phone does that too (also an LG), but I think it always charges no matter what you select, it just may or may not allow access to other features as well such as photos and files.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey

just a thought.
Yea, my LG droid has those options too. Selecting "charge" does seem to make a difference for this phone.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:01 AM

These USB ports are way under-powered by today's phone standards. Especially if you have a phone that has a USB C port. Your best bet is to get a car charger with enough amps or volts for your phone. Unfortunately there is no longer a single standard across USB charging.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Since a USB port has a multi-function design, the one in the Maxima is intended as a communications port, to play your tunes from over the car's audio system, NOT a charging port. For charging, get something that plugs into the cigarette lighter for the higher-current draw that phone charging requires.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PapaDroid
Your best bet is to get a car charger with enough amps or volts for your phone.
Originally Posted by me9798
For charging, get something that plugs into the cigarette lighter for the higher-current draw that phone charging requires.

Well, that sounds great, but CarPlay requires the phone to be plugged into one of the USB ports.

To be clear, for an entire year, my phone charged perfectly while plugged into the USB port while at the same time playing music and using apple maps. It worked great. No problems.

After an upgrade to iOS 11, the phone no longer charges. I was just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and perhaps found a fix. I've tried rebooting the phone, using a different cable -- neither of which made a difference.

I did talk to another Maxima owner that is having the *exact* same problem (ie. phone charged fine in the USB port until upgrading to iOS 11). While the evidence is still anecdotal, I'm guessing a problem with the OS upgrade.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:48 AM

I started to have the same issue about a month ago with my Note 5 and now that I switched over to the Note 8, still having the same issue. I always clear my recent apps to make sure nothing is draining the battery before I put it on charge. I did however notice that if I drive in direct sunlight, the battery percentage continuously drops even while charging.

I'd love to use the cigarette lighter port again but it's being used by the dash cam now. Sucks this car only has one.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:50 PM

http://www.mcneillnissan.com/blog/wh...ne-in-the-car/
Old 10-05-2017, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by DESICHARM718
I did however notice that if I drive in direct sunlight, the battery percentage continuously drops even while charging.

I'd love to use the cigarette lighter port again but it's being used by the dash cam now. Sucks this car only has one.
I noticed with my phone that's mounted that the screen because of Auto brightness turns the screen on max. If you orient the phone to where the front camera isn't in the sunlight the screen will dim and drain much less battery.

Also I recommend hard wiring your dashcam into the fuse box. Requires no tools. I recommend this: http://www.thedashcamstore.com/installation-kits/

Similar kits available on amazon...
Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 AM

And try this inexpensive fix to get extra charging port.

= Dual Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Charger Power Socket Adapter 12v Auto Outlet
Old 10-06-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
And try this inexpensive fix to get extra charging port.

= Dual Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Charger Power Socket Adapter 12v Auto Outlet
agreed, as long as the 2 devices don't require more amperage than the fuse for the car's socket allows.