8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

XM Renewal Advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM

XM Renewal Advise

I am coming up on three month conclusion of the free access to XM and Connect. From what I am reading the monthly costs and add ons for weather and traffic as well as the connect features could really add up. Can you guys tell me what you opted for? Just XM or the whole enchilada package of all the options. If so what do you pay for all of the options?
Old 12-16-2015, 12:03 PM

You pay for what you get and how good of a negotiator you are at coming in with a lower price than they offer which my wife thinks is overpriced. She usually talked them down quite a bit, but got tired of doing this every year and finally suspended the service. I never listened to it as music is not my thing while driving. Now she listens to the radio and plays her CD's.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM

I looked at getting just Travel Link for the gas prices, weather, traffic, etc., as I put about 25k per on my car as part of my job. Without a radio package you're required to have an annual contract if your just purchasing Travel Link. It was over $100 per year for just that. I asked twice if there were any specials, promos, etc, was told not at this time.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Administrator

If you can live without XM radio for a bit, and sit tight for 1 to 2 months, they will send you a smokin' "come back" offer that will pleasantly surprise you...I'm talking huge discount.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
If you can live without XM radio for a bit, and sit tight for 1 to 2 months, they will send you a smokin' "come back" offer that will pleasantly surprise you...I'm talking huge discount.
Yup, let it expire. I have received a number of offers for 5 months of music for $20 total on my other car. They will keep sending you better and better offers as time goes on. The pain is that you have to cancel before your special pricing ends if you don't want to pay regular price.

After having Sirius in my car for about six years, I finally realized it wasn't even worth 20 bucks for 5 months for me (mostly due to having to cancel in order to get better pricing). The music is very repetitive and I realized I also missed some of the local morning shows.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the input. Would that offer include XM, Connect, traffic, etc?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:20 PM

I did not renew. My phone and apps these days can stream through the car pretty much anything I want to listen to so no need to spend even $20 for 5 months.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:33 PM

My wife and I are still running with our late 1990s flip phones that do nothing but make phone calls. We seldom ever need or use them. We do not have a GPS device. We have no interest in hearing talking heads or music someone else has chosen while in the car. So we opted for only the traffic/travel package, which we use every day.

I have no interest in drawn-out discussions trying to save a few bucks (we are very busy trying to sell a home for $400K), so once I talked them down to below $200 for three years of the Travel/Traffic package, I accepted. I think I could have held out and gotten an even better price, but I have lots of things going and don't have the time to diddle.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:22 AM

I just renewed for another 6 months-- XM Select package $4.75/month (normally $14.99/month). The third or fourth time I've been offered this special when I call to cancel telling them that I don't see the value in the service.
They offered me 1 year at a discounted $99 price first, but I told them I still thought that was high. After a moment of silence, the rep said they'd check and see if my current special was still available.
Surprise...Surprise--- it was.
If I didn't get it so cheap, I probably would cancel.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
My wife and I are still running with our late 1990s flip phones that do nothing but make phone calls. We seldom ever need or use them. We do not have a GPS device. We have no interest in hearing talking heads or music someone else has chosen while in the car. So we opted for only the traffic/travel package, which we use every day.

I have no interest in drawn-out discussions trying to save a few bucks (we are very busy trying to sell a home for $400K), so once I talked them down to below $200 for three years of the Travel/Traffic package, I accepted. I think I could have held out and gotten an even better price, but I have lots of things going and don't have the time to diddle.
I bet you guys are the life of the party!!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Transferred my premium lifetime service I purchased back when it was XM Radio in '08 for $75 includes travel link.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:39 AM

I ended up renewing after the trial for 112 bucks with all taxes for the XM Select for 1 year. Also added the Traffic and weather for another 66 bucks also for 1 year. other deals out there?
Old 01-03-2016, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I bet you guys are the life of the party!!

Actually, many of the parties I go to as an octogenarian are usually frequented by a few folks that have never had (and never will have) a cellphone of any sort. Many folks my age would have some trouble operating one anyway.

I am selective on new technology. I opted to move from dial phones to touchtone after only a two year wait. That was in the 1970s. I still remember the 1930s, when phones required cranking a handle to make a call, and everyone on the party line could pick up and listen, even though the pattern of rings on the phone was specific to individual homes.

One technological advance I leaped all over was Caller ID, which I consider a wonderful thing. I grabbed it as soon as it was available. Since getting caller ID several decades ago, I don't answer the phone unless I know (and don't mind talking to) the caller.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-03-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by robtroxel
I ended up renewing after the trial for 112 bucks with all taxes for the XM Select for 1 year. Also added the Traffic and weather for another 66 bucks also for 1 year. other deals out there?
you get the best deals when you let it expire and wait 3 weeks. then they're begging for you to come back. you opted not to wait, and therefore most of your bargaining power went right out the window.

Last edited by The Wizard; 01-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM

Last year on another car, I did just that but did not get anything better than this. As another poster noted, it is a real drill to get the deal in the past but this year, not. Let us know if there are better numbers out there. My new contract does not start till Feb 1st, 2016 so I can still cancel as they do not bill till that effective date.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Did you see post #9? Sounds like a much better deal than yours.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Did you see post #9? Sounds like a much better deal than yours.

Saw that offer which looks good for 6 months at around 40 bucks with tax and royalty fees. Problem is that they won' extend the offer for an additional 6 months without reverting to the 14.95 monthly cost so if you add the 12 month cost 89.70 +40 you still spend about 130 bucks for the year. That coupled with the call in hassles led me to just grabbing the 1 year deal.
wish I'd seen the light on the lifetime deal way back when.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Talking

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Actually, many of the parties I go to as an octogenarian are usually frequented by a few folks that have never had (and never will have) a cellphone of any sort. Many folks my age would have some trouble operating one anyway.

I am selective on new technology. I opted to move from dial phones to touchtone after only a two year wait. That was in the 1970s. I still remember the 1930s, when phones required cranking a handle to make a call, and everyone on the party line could pick up and listen, even though the pattern of rings on the phone was specific to individual homes.

One technological advance I leaped all over was Caller ID, which I consider a wonderful thing. I grabbed it as soon as it was available. Since getting caller ID several decades ago, I don't answer the phone unless I know (and don't mind talking to) the caller.
My parents....mom is 81 and dad is 90...and my grandmother...was 102 (rip grandma) are the only people i know that never tried cell phones. The nonsmart phone have two buttons to deal with...call and hang up. Since you have been driving for 70+ years, im sure you could figure out a cell phone, especially after using crank phones. They are safety devices too if health or other life threatening issues arise, especially if you live in the boonies. You may wish to pass that on to your fellow party animals...:-)