8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What is the best 2015 Nissan car for under 45k?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the best 2015 Nissan car for under 45k?

Hello esteemed members of the forums,

I am looking for some basic feedback the new 2015 line of Nissans. I am planning on purchasing a new Nissan for my wife after the New Year, but am oblivious to this particular brand since I have owned BMW models since 1996.

Price range is 35k-45k
Old 12-10-2015, 02:07 PM

More information than just price. Sedan, SUV, truck, 2 or 4 wheel drive, would help narrow the choices down.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oops, missed that part! Car.

I am kind of one the fence about Nissan in general seeing that the price points are relatively stiff compared to other vehicles on the market. Infiniti not considered since its just a suped-up Nissan.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 AM

I would test drive the new Maxima or the new Altima V6. I love my Maxima, coming from a BMW myself I'm very happy with the car. With that said, it's all personal preference, definitely worth a test drive.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Reconsider Infiniti. Seriously. The Q50 is a great package that is better than the Maxima and cheaper to purchase than its competitors, period. Infiniti cars hold their value better than both BMW and Mercedes. And here is the reason, Infinitis are hands down, EASILY the cheapest luxury brand to maintain(yea i know why your looking at maximas). Writing them off as a "suped-up Nissan" is actually just causing you to miss out on what could be the car you are actually looking for. Outside of the SUVs technically Infiniti does not share chassis with any Nissan. Most people coming from BMW Mercedes etc coming to a maxima usually end up not liking the car because of torque steer, and either go back to the former brand or end up some where at infiniti or lexus. So do not sell yourself short. Because eventually you will come to the point where your saying lexus=suped up toyotas, Acura=suped up Hondas Audi=suped up VWs, that is only partially correct. There are some great cars that you are missing out on because of a silly mindset.

Test drives is what your going to have to do. TBH i would not spend more than 30K on any nissan that is not a GTR, Z, some sort of truck or truck based SUV. Depreciation is just too steep with nissans. With Toyota and Honda its justifiable.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM

The Q50 has a nice face but body and shape is boring and too old G37 looking. Huge reason why I didn't bother.

If I wanted another entry level luxury car I would have gotten a BMW 435 Gran Coupe instead.

Wait for the 2017 Q60 Coupe maybe to see if there's some style to go along with the car.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Reconsider Infiniti. Seriously. The Q50 is a great package that is better than the Maxima and cheaper to purchase than its competitors, period. Infiniti cars hold their value better than both BMW and Mercedes. And here is the reason, Infinitis are hands down, EASILY the cheapest luxury brand to maintain(yea i know why your looking at maximas). Writing them off as a "suped-up Nissan" is actually just causing you to miss out on what could be the car you are actually looking for. Outside of the SUVs technically Infiniti does not share chassis with any Nissan. Most people coming from BMW Mercedes etc coming to a maxima usually end up not liking the car because of torque steer, and either go back to the former brand or end up some where at infiniti or lexus. So do not sell yourself short. Because eventually you will come to the point where your saying lexus=suped up toyotas, Acura=suped up Hondas Audi=suped up VWs, that is only partially correct. There are some great cars that you are missing out on because of a silly mindset.

Test drives is what your going to have to do. TBH i would not spend more than 30K on any nissan that is not a GTR, Z, some sort of truck or truck based SUV. Depreciation is just too steep with nissans. With Toyota and Honda its justifiable.
Very well stated! Would also be like saying the BMW is a supped up Mini! I love the Maxima, but Infiniti's are completely different than Nissan! Both awesome brands!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM

I would agree, I wouldnt rule out Infiniti. However, the Q50 did not get great reviews. I have always been an Infiniti fan, and was strongly considering them, when purchasing my 8th gen. Like the other comments I really liked the front end, but it just seemed like a much smaller sedan than the Maxima. Even the controls inside frankly seemed awkward. If it was a mirror of the Maxima, I would probably be in a different car today.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by spidgeon
i would agree, i wouldnt rule out infiniti. However, the q50 did not get great reviews. I have always been an infiniti fan, and was strongly considering them, when purchasing my 8th gen. Like the other comments i really liked the front end, but it just seemed like a much smaller sedan than the maxima. Even the controls inside frankly seemed awkward. If it was a mirror of the maxima, i would probably be in a different car today.

+1
Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 AM

To hear what Q50 owners are saying about 2016 maxima see the following link

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/infiniti-q50-versus-competition/62857-2016-nissan-maxima.html
Old 12-13-2015, 06:19 PM

buddy of mine has a new Q50- its an ok car- i just didn't go for the exterior design. I'm sure with more HP and AWD its fun to drive, and its got a real nice interior but the platinum maxima to me at a nice discount and finance rate is all i need.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:45 PM

The Q50 is one of the few Infiniti models in which I would not be interested. I sort of like the design, and have always thought I might someday move up to Infiniti. But it seemed smaller inside than I expected, especially the back seat and trunk. And the Q50 has proven to be an unreliable vehicle. It has a poor reliability rating in every rating system I checked. By contrast, the Maxima has proven to be a reliable vehicle.

If I was set on buying a Nissan, and it did not have to be a car, the Murano gets very good reviews by almost every rating service. It is technically an SUV, but has a very comfortable car-like ride, is car-like in width and length, is very well equipped, and is very similar to the Maxima in many ways (they shared the same Owner's Manual during the Maxima 7th gen run).

Edit - You said in your original post you were interested in the NEW 2015 line of Nissans. The 2015 Nissans came out well over a year ago. Did you mean the new 2016 Nissans? If so, I should mention that I abolutely LOVE my 2016 Maxima Platinum. I find all kinds of excuses to simply get in this car and DRIVE. Easily the most fun car I have driven, and I began driving back in the 1940s. This 8th gen Maxima makes this old codger feel like a young whippersnapper.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 12-13-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The Q50 is one of the few Infiniti models in which I would not be interested. I sort of like the design, and have always thought I might someday move up to Infiniti. But it seemed smaller inside than I expected, especially the back seat and trunk. And the Q50 has proven to be an unreliable vehicle. It has a poor reliability rating in every rating system I checked. By contrast, the Maxima has proven to be a reliable vehicle.

If I was set on buying a Nissan, and it did not have to be a car, the Murano gets very good reviews by almost every rating service. It is technically an SUV, but has a very comfortable car-like ride, is car-like in width and length, is very well equipped, and is very similar to the Maxima in many ways (they shared the same Owner's Manual during the Maxima 7th gen run).

Edit - You said in your original post you were interested in the NEW 2015 line of Nissans. The 2015 Nissans came out well over a year ago. Did you mean the new 2016 Nissans? If so, I should mention that I abolutely LOVE my 2016 Maxima Platinum. I find all kinds of excuses to simply get in this car and DRIVE. Easily the most fun car I have driven, and I began driving back in the 1940s. This 8th gen Maxima makes this old codger feel like a young whippersnapper.
Recheck that. Most of it is electronic glitches not mechanical problems or failures, issues like bluetooth connectivity and problems with the touch screen. Things that have already been fixed with firmware updates and recalls. It is a as stated a Nissan so most of the systems are similar. But as stated test drive cars go find what you like do not hold yourself to just Nissan due to silly brand philosophies. Also Infiniti Customer service>>>>>>almost everybody else.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:41 AM

If the Maxima was RWD, it would be >>> over the Q50. But that's why it's not, Nissan knows it would completely destroy Q50 sales. In terms of comfort, size, price, interior, and exterior, the 16 Maxima is leaps and bounds over the Q50, at least in my opinion. The only thing missing from the Maxima is RWD and a manual option, one can dream...
Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 PM

Crusher - Reliability was not the only complaint testers reported with the Q50. There was usually a list of areas (steering feel, ride, road noise, fuel efficiency, controls, small trunk, restrictive options packages, etc, etc) where the tester felt the Q50 was not quite 'up to snuff.'

Reliability and service are THE PRIMARY REASONS I have owned nothing but Datsun/Nissan products since the 1970s. I had very poor reliability and service with many brands for thirty years (late 1940s to late 1970s), but had excellent service with my first Datsun, so stuck to the Datsun/Nissan brand, and my dealer treats me like royalty. My local Infiniti dealer may have good service, but never accepted any offer I made on an Infiniti.

But back to your post - of course service varies by dealer, and, based on some of the posts I have seen on this board regarding Nissan dealers, there are probably places where I would have long-since moved to Infiniti for better service. All depends on the dealer.

And I would also bet the Q70 will be a very solid automobile. I think that would quickly become my overall favorite, although it will be a little pricey.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 12-14-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Crusher - Reliability was not the only complaint testers reported with the Q50. There was usually a list of areas (steering feel, ride, road noise, fuel efficiency, controls, small trunk, restrictive options packages, etc, etc) where the tester felt the Q50 was not quite 'up to snuff.'

Reliability and service are THE PRIMARY REASONS I have owned nothing but Datsun/Nissan products since the 1970s. I had very poor reliability and service with many brands for thirty years (late 1940s to late 1970s), but had excellent service with my first Datsun, so stuck to the Datsun/Nissan brand, and my dealer treats me like royalty. My local Infiniti dealer may have good service, but never accepted any offer I made on an Infiniti.

But back to your post - of course service varies by dealer, and, based on some of the posts I have seen on this board regarding Nissan dealers, there are probably places where I would have long-since moved to Infiniti for better service. All depends on the dealer.

And I would also bet the Q70 will be a very solid automobile. I think that would quickly become my overall favorite, although it will be a little pricey.
You have not lived until you have dealt with BMW customer service trying to get a defect fixed. You want to talk about some bull****.

I've driven the Q50, i didn't find the ride or steering feel to be particularly bad but those seem to be more preference, I've also driven the M37 which is now the Q70 i also liked that car. In its S trim that is a car i can get use too. I would buy a used one though, with between 30-50k miles not new.

Like I've been saying anyway test drive, test drive, test drive.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 PM

You have not lived until you have dealt with BMW customer service trying to get a defect fixed. You want to talk about some bull****.

I've driven the Q50, i didn't find the ride or steering feel to be particularly bad but those seem to be more preference, I've also driven the M37 which is now the Q70 i also liked that car. In its S trim that is a car i can get use too. I would buy a used one though, with between 30-50k miles not new.

Like I've been saying anyway test drive, test drive, test drive.
Like you, I really liked the M37, and I would bet I will really like the Q70. Had I not been wed to over thirty years of owning nothing but Maximas, I think I would have taken the leap on the M37.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:44 PM

Im going to test drive a Chevy SS sedan, 415hp V8 before I sign for the max. I wanna get either the SS or the Max before Jan 1 and try to get in on some good end of year deals.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
Im going to test drive a Chevy SS sedan, 415hp V8 before I sign for the max. I wanna get either the SS or the Max before Jan 1 and try to get in on some good end of year deals.
Man, the SS is funnnnnn, if you drive the SS you will forget the Max existed. If you are a true enthusiast, thats fact mls277!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 AM

thats what I'm afraid of..the SS is quite a bit more than the Maxima SL or even the platinum discounted. Plus the insurance is higher..but it is fun. will make the decision soon.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
thats what I'm afraid of..the SS is quite a bit more than the Maxima SL or even the platinum discounted. Plus the insurance is higher..but it is fun. will make the decision soon.
I hear that you can get some good incentives on the SS, out here in S.Cal a lot of them have major discounts.