8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 maximas a failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:58 PM

2016 maximas a failure

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...substance.html
Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Because some random news station from Philadelphia says so.

Ok.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:59 PM

2 Stars out of 4...not sure I'd consider that a failure. Plus he wrote the following:

- What the Maxima does have is looks, fuel economy and loads of features at a competitive price.

-Maxima is not uncomfortable, with a roomy front seat, plenty of storage cubbies, adequate rear leg and head room, soft interior materials and hand-stitched-looking leather.

- The key combined figure beats that of the bigger sedans the Maxima aims to compete with.

-The Maxima is less expensive than comparably equipped versions of those sport sedans, however. The Maxima looks great. Its low roof, aggressive lines, sweeping chrome trim and distinctive grille make it the sedan equivalent of Nissan’s other style statement, the Murano SUV.

These are some pretty positive comments, not sure what this guy expects from a $38K car?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 PM

well i expected a better rating for this new maxima but it was beaten by others,,that article had some negatives,,but as for myself i m not putting the maximas down,,just a thought to share with you guys and see some feedbacks
Old 10-08-2015, 05:52 PM

The 8th gen will be a failure after its all sent and done and might be the final generation Maxima. Its basically a sales flop and the Maxima hasn't been what I remember a Maxima to be when I first fell in love with the 3rd and 4th gen models.

Sales better pick up (which they won't) or its bye bye.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the pic they used looks like an altima.... im not sure how much i trust their opinion, lmao

i love my platinum and dont need validation from inaccurate news articles
Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 AM

To each their own. We are enjoying our SR and have received numerous comments.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by lanre82
the pic they used looks like an altima.... im not sure how much i trust their opinion, lmao
I totally missed that! So yeah, I agree.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM

The car is not without controversy, but that is why I bought mine. Came out of a TL with a pronounced beak (Changed the grill) Now I am go glad to get a heated steering wheel with power Tilt and Tele. This author probably likes the generic Toyotas and that's OK for the many.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM

I have been driving since the 1940s, and this 2016 Maxima is the best car FOR ME that I have ever driven. It does everything I could want it to do, and does almost everything better than any car I have ever owned.

I think there are two basic things working against this 2016 Maxima - Nissan has not given it even ONE PERCENT of the advertising it gives the Altima, and the buying public is currently in a 'gotta have an SUV' mood. Big sedans are generally selling poorly across the board.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:59 PM

LOTH you're right. I personally like the car a lot. However I also started shopping the 2015 Chevrolet SS sedan, a friend of mine knows someone at a local chevrolet dealer and I may go for a test drive.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Because some random news station from Philadelphia says so.

Ok.
From the article, he did not drive it. Why a picture of an Altima if he did?

It does not appear that Nissan will sell a lot of them for reasons already mentioned. The only thing that matters is the owner's experience with the car.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:37 AM

I think an auto trans like they have in the 370Z would have been a good idea in this car and well received.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:31 PM

how are the 2016's sales numbers? have they been released yet?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:02 PM

I think there was a thread on that- I'm sure the car is selling- maybe not as well as they want but once really strong incentives come out it will move.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I think there was a thread on that- I'm sure the car is selling- maybe not as well as they want but once really strong incentives come out it will move.
Yes, the car is selling fine and I am starting to see more and more of them. Once people start seeing them more and the normal incentives start, then I expect sales will be better than previous generation or equal.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMus
how are the 2016's sales numbers? have they been released yet?
https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...ts-sold-2.html
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...2015-u-s-sales
Old 10-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Thx Monte. I managed to read over the entire 8th Gen forum yesterday and saw that thread.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

4DSC.
How can they call it a sports car if you can't stir the gears?

Performance: Face it, a civic will outrun any MG or Triumph from the glory days. I think a "Sports Car" means there's a step up in driver involvement.

- Jim
Old 10-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Ok guys. I been a avid Max owner for may years.. from 98 with about 5 max's Seen the new max and was not overly impressed. wasn't crazy about the new body style and some other things. Soooooo I decided to go another way.. Got a 2015 Murano SL and would you believe that the Max had better watch out.. This SUV is going to give the max a run for its money. I am truly extremely happy with this car. Lots of nice options, Very good handling. Sit high enough in the air to see what is going on. Sorry Guys.. this is now a vehicle to pay attention to.. Good luck with the new Maxima..
Old 10-16-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sonomamax
Ok guys. I been a avid Max owner for may years.. from 98 with about 5 max's Seen the new max and was not overly impressed. wasn't crazy about the new body style and some other things. Soooooo I decided to go another way.. Got a 2015 Murano SL and would you believe that the Max had better watch out.. This SUV is going to give the max a run for its money. I am truly extremely happy with this car. Lots of nice options, Very good handling. Sit high enough in the air to see what is going on. Sorry Guys.. this is now a vehicle to pay attention to.. Good luck with the new Maxima..
The Murano is very nice and a lot of people are moving from full size sedans to these crossovers. You can't really compare the two though. While both are the same price, one car gives you far superior performance and better MPG while the other gives you more space and off road "capability". If I had a couple of kids I would have opted for the Murano, but considering I have none the clear choice was the Maxima.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 PM

A murano is a nice car, especially with some options. The platinum murano is a sweet ride and i would say its like an SUV version of the Maxima. However if I had to pick and SUV, money aside, I'd go with the Jeep SRT- thats an awesome SUV. but of course its 70k.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If they don't even know the difference between an Altima and a Maxima the entire article is meaningless. You can assume they tested an Altima at this point. Disclosure: I did not read the article.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:15 PM

I have owned 10 Maximas since my first in '87. I will say that the '16
Platinum is the one I enjoy the most since my initial thrill ride of '87. I will get my wife ( who is more tech savvy than I) to post pics of my rides over the years.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:04 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by shook187
The 8th gen will be a failure after its all sent and done and might be the final generation Maxima. Its basically a sales flop and the Maxima hasn't been what I remember a Maxima to be when I first fell in love with the 3rd and 4th gen models.

Sales better pick up (which they won't) or its bye bye.
I bought an A33 SE 5Spd brand new and held on to it for ten years. Loved that car. Then the body started rusting and I moved on. When I bought my current car I went and looked at the 13 Maximas. The CVT is a huge turn off. Huge. The 13 drove like a slug. I was a disappointed person.

With the new commercials "emphasizing" the new awesome CVT and trying to resurrect the 4DSC moniker; I will be monitoring to see what people feel about drive-ablity (fun-ness :-) ). I also remember the "diamond hard" paint process commercials they had on the 00 and 01's and those hoods chipped if you breathed on them funny. LOL!

I like the styling inside and out but that CVT really has me going "meh". I don't expect a stick like the good ol' days but a snappy shifting transmission would be much better. But it would be nice to get away from GDI motors and back to something that I don't have to worry about carbon buildup with.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 PM

I read Maxima sales are down 30% in August. I like the styling but, $35,000-$40,000 for a car with a CVT isn't gonna fly. The problems with the CVT in the 6th and 7th gen didn't help either.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:53 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I know I don't meet Nissan's marketing demographics because I want to row my own. I fall out of favor for a lot of companies because "nobody" wants to shift.

But if they had a manual I would buy it almost in a heartbeat and then figure out how to tell the wife! :-) And then suffer the consequences. :-( I miss my A33.

And I agree; people are not willing to plunk down that kind of scratch for a lame CVT auto. And if its the mantra of the company to put that junk in such an expensive car it autta work. Period. With no games of ETC and the ilk.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Demographics are becoming a problem for all types of sports cars all over the world. People just are not buying them like they used to. Young kids are more interested in flaming some freak in Vermont than smoking the punk next to them.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
But if they had a manual I would buy it almost in a heartbeat and then figure out how to tell the wife! :-) And then suffer the consequences. :-( I miss my A33.
I wonder how hard it would be to convert one over. Use the same 6MT from the Altima SE-R from years ago. Trans should bolt right up, just have to figure everything else out. It's what I would do it I had millions laying around.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
I know I don't meet Nissan's marketing demographics because I want to row my own. I fall out of favor for a lot of companies because "nobody" wants to shift.

And I agree; people are not willing to plunk down that kind of scratch for a lame CVT auto. And if its the mantra of the company to put that junk in such an expensive car it autta work. Period. With no games of ETC and the ilk.
So agree with this.

I hate CVT. There are only 2 markets were CVT are known for sporty, snowmobile and SxS.
Manual trans is the way to go. I would settle for an auto clutch with paddle shift. They need to put a 3.7 in the maxima with a 6sp manual or 7sp auto.

Also colonel, see the UC aviator, you a grad?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 AM

The new Altima looks even better than the Maxima imo

Also the idiot who wrote that article used the wrong picture.

^^ THAT IS A ALTIMA
Old 10-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by george__
The new Altima looks even better than the Maxima imo

Also the idiot who wrote that article used the wrong picture.

^^ THAT IS A ALTIMA
I disagree, the car looks good for a family sedan but that's what it looks like, not sporty at all. You can really tell when watching videos of it, that picture is pretty misleading.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:44 PM

I think they both are pretty nice cars. But the maxima is a lot sportier looking IMO.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:53 PM

The Altima is a good mainstream family sedan, however, it can't be confused with the Maxima unless someone knows nothing of the two.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by zillafreak
So agree with this.

I hate CVT. There are only 2 markets were CVT are known for sporty, snowmobile and SxS.
Manual trans is the way to go. I would settle for an auto clutch with paddle shift. They need to put a 3.7 in the maxima with a 6sp manual or 7sp auto.

Also colonel, see the UC aviator, you a grad?
Exactly. I understand them not going with a manual, but at least the 7sp auto should have been used. If Nissan believes in the CVT why is the QX60 the only Infiniti that uses it and sales suck for that model too. Like I said I think the new Maximas style is pretty nice, but that's it......Big discounts are on the way
Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
Exactly. I understand them not going with a manual, but at least the 7sp auto should have been used. If Nissan believes in the CVT why is the QX60 the only Infiniti that uses it and sales suck for that model too. Like I said I think the new Maximas style is pretty nice, but that's it......Big discounts are on the way
The Infiniti QX60 is Infiniti's 2nd best selling model (just behind the Q50 sedan which had 31,603 units sold YTD vs. 29,378 YTD for QX60 through Sep 30th), and it's up 30% YTD over this time in 2014. September 2015 they sold nearly double what they sold in September 2014. Granted...we're talking only around 30k units for 2015 so far...but as the 2nd best selling car and sales are up nearly 30%? I wouldn't say that sucks too much for them.

Source: http://infinitinews.com/en-US/infini...september-2015

Last edited by wtgkb8; 10-27-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I test drove a Q50 before getting my Maxima, here are my thoughts.

CVT Advantages: Cost, Lighter, Fuel Economy, No gear hunting, More consistent power delivery

7sp Speed Auto Advantages: More tuner friendly, maybe more reliable long term.

Why do you think Nissan should have made the Maxima a 7sp?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by zillafreak
So agree with this.

Also colonel, see the UC avatar, you a grad?
Yes sir!

When I bought mine moons ago, less than 5% where manual back then. I know companies are trying to hit CAFE numbers but sucking the reliability and usability of the vehicle is not an option. I am not a point A to point B driver. I love driving. Maximas being advertised as 4DSC should not be about point A to point B.

Last edited by Colonel; 10-27-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by ATDoel
CVT Advantages: Cost, Lighter, Fuel Economy, No gear hunting, More consistent power delivery
Unless over 85 or under 30. Then the computer restricts you so that it doesn't damage itself which denote fragility (fraaageeeelay!).
Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ATDoel
I test drove a Q50 before getting my Maxima, here are my thoughts.

7sp Speed Auto Advantages: More tuner friendly, maybe more reliable long term.

Why do you think Nissan should have made the Maxima a 7sp?
CVT isn't cheaper, manual is cheap
CVT isn't lighter
CVT is always gear hunting (hence the name CVT)
CVT is weaker

Reason for a 7sp auto clutch with paddle shift is because it still puts the driver back in the seat. The more stupid **** you put on a car (CVT, TCS, ABS, etc) it takes the driver out of the game. It makes a car boring.

If you was only driving to and from a job I hated, then CVT is for you.

Quick Reply: 2016 maximas a failure