8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

SR vs Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 PM

SR vs Platinum

Go with Platnium. There will be performance mods available shortly that you can make to your car at a reasonable price which will make it as good or better than what the SR has to offer. Plus you get the sunroof.

Learn from my mistake - I made the mistake of getting a SV Sport/Tech package and ended up completing mods to improve suspension and handling which therefore rendered the sports package irrelevant and I would've made out better had I purchased a Premium/Tech package.

Get the Platnium.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I think you're right, one has sold since June at my dealer, finally came off inventory today, an SL. 14 still on lot
You are correct, went to Southbay Nissan to have a new rim installed for free that they scratched up bad during service not so long ago. During my wait I talked to a sales guy that they I have known since 09 when I got the Z and he said they are having a hard time moving them......They also have had the same inventory of them pretty much since the 1st of June.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by charliebrown
The problem is that most people think this car is hideous in pictures, but real world response is quite different. I have to admit that I selfishly don't mind at all if there aren't too many of these on the road. I found it amusing when a BMW 428i driver kept pulling up next to, behind and in front of my SR on the freeway the other day trying to figure out what the hell it was.

It is a big win for the customer right now because of exclusivity, but in the long run, it might not be so good because of deep discounts and resale values. I think the sales numbers will eventually come in line with expectations, though.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by phattyaltnatl
It is a big win for the customer right now because of exclusivity, but in the long run, it might not be so good because of deep discounts and resale values. I think the sales numbers will eventually come in line with expectations, though.
Very true. Another truth is that most people with money to blow on a 40K mid/full-sized automobile these days would rather do it on a CUV. Sad to say, but the segment that the Maxima is in has been steadily losing popularity for years now.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:00 AM

I'm really leaning towards the SL at this point. I don't feel like the Platinum features over the SL are anything I'm interested in and can save the 3k.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Maxima SR was my choice

I went with the Maxima SR and added an aftermarket sunroof. I wanted the better suspension package and 19" wheels. I want eh safest possible car especially when at freeway speed. I did not want a full moon-roof as this seems very unsafe if you had a rollover. So, I looked at things I could not change later and the SR has frame structural additions which would have been impossible to add later. Everything the Maxima Platinum edition has I can do without or add later.

I absolutely love my 2016 Maxima SR. Best car I have ever owned and I have had a few Mercedes. I will keep this car until it literally stops running hopefully so 15 years. I just sold my 2002 Maxima SE and it was stilll running strong after 291,000 miles and 13 years of use.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Frame structure additions over the platinum? Please elaborate what you're referring too.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Frame structure additions over the platinum? Please elaborate what you're referring too.
I think he's referring to this....

"Nissan boasts that the Maxima SR has higher torsional rigidity than the Porsche Cayman."

http://www.thepilot.com/business/dri...653e4f254.html

"The SR is the one to get if you want sharper handling over the standard model. Suspension tweaks such as SR-specific ZF Sachs dampers and larger front stabilizer bars.

The panoramic moonroof from the SL and Platinum Maximas was eliminated to increase torsional rigidity and lower the car’s center of gravity. The result of all these changes is a torsional rigidity higher than a Porsche Cayman."

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2015/0...num-first-look

Last edited by MAX828; 09-19-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
I think it was already answered. But yes the SR has a stiffer frame stronger sway bar and other suspension enhancements. Including 19" wheels which all together give a great feel. I drive very aggressive and wanted a car that can handle my style of driving. "Like a New York City cab driver".
Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The frame is very stiff even on my Platinum. I pulled into a steep incline drive at a local business the other day, at an angle as not to scrape and one of the back wheels actually came off the ground. lol

I was in the market for the SR, test drove the SR, decided it rode very harsh. I decided at 38 yrs old, I need something a little smoother. Bought the platinum. I loved those 19" wheels, but the 18s have grown on me and I am totally satisfied. I love the 360 camera. I could really take or leave the roof, but its nice to have on a cool evening. We had a hard time finding the white we wanted, but I am glad we chose white. Car gets so many comments and attention.

Last edited by ChadInOKC; 09-19-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:33 AM

I had the same dilemma, SR or Platinum. What made me decide was i didn't care for the wood trim on the Platinum dash. I went with the SR Midnight Edition in black. It rides and handles great. I have raced Cayman's and although it doesn't' handle as well as the Cayman it definitely satisfies my needs on the road.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by ChadInOKC
The frame is very stiff even on my Platinum. I pulled into a steep incline drive at a local business the other day, at an angle as not to scrape and one of the back wheels actually came off the ground. lol

I was in the market for the SR, test drove the SR, decided it rode very harsh. I decided at 38 yrs old, I need something a little smoother. Bought the platinum. I loved those 19" wheels, but the 18s have grown on me and I am totally satisfied. I love the 360 camera. I could really take or leave the roof, but its nice to have on a cool evening. We had a hard time finding the white we wanted, but I am glad we chose white. Car gets so many comments and attention.
That's funny, I picked the SR over the Platinum because I felt it was a smoother ride. Maybe that is due to riding on Tein SS for 15 years.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
Anyone considering these two models? Is it possible to put the 19" wheels on the Platinum? I'm really torn on which model to even go test drive. I have a feeling even the NEW platinum is gonna feel more like a 4DSC than my 09 Sport....thoughts on that?

just went line by line with the features of the two..the SR has some nice sport touches. I think the sunroof may be worth going without to get the more performance oriented version, but I'm sure harder to find, the SR.
We had the same questions when we started considering the Maxima. We ultimately purchased the Platinum with the SR 19" wheels. Some thoughts on our reasoning were as follows:

-The 360 view camera system is a really great feature. Takes all the guesswork out of parking near curbs and tight spots. Amazing how well this feature works, especially with this car's lower ground clearance. Can only get it in Platinum.

-We really weren't that interested in the panoramic moon roof, but now we are very glad we have it as it is one of the nicer ones we've ever seen. Really opens up the interior, especially at night. We use it all the time.

-The combination of the Platinums slightly softer suspension and the tighter cornering and stickiness characteristics of the SR's lower profile wheels/tires makes this the perfect blend of comfort and performance. We love it!!

Here's a couple pics...

Hope this info was helpful,
Lou
Old 09-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 17BBMax
We had the same questions when we started considering the Maxima. We ultimately purchased the Platinum with the SR 19" wheels. Some thoughts on our reasoning were as follows:

-The 360 view camera system is a really great feature. Takes all the guesswork out of parking near curbs and tight spots. Amazing how well this feature works, especially with this car's lower ground clearance. Can only get it in Platinum.

-We really weren't that interested in the panoramic moon roof, but now we are very glad we have it as it is one of the nicer ones we've ever seen. Really opens up the interior, especially at night. We use it all the time.

-The combination of the Platinums slightly softer suspension and the tighter cornering and stickiness characteristics of the SR's lower profile wheels/tires makes this the perfect blend of comfort and performance. We love it!!

Here's a couple pics...

Hope this info was helpful,
Lou
That looks awesome Lou! I wish I had worked out a deal like that. :-)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ChadInOKC
That looks awesome Lou! I wish I had worked out a deal like that. :-)
Thank You ChadInOKC, Very kind of you to say that! My friend has the white like yours and I love it! My wife and I had a really hard time deciding between the Bordeaux Black, Storm Blue and the White like yours. All three really look awesome on this car. The white really pops in the sunlight

Keep in mind that the 19" SR tires and the 18" Platinum tires have nearly the same revs/mile and so your speedo and all electronic functions based on that will remain accurate if you decide to buy some SR wheels later.

Kind Regards,
Lou
Old 09-20-2016, 02:18 PM

I kept the stock 18" on the platinum- side by side I didnt see enough difference to make the upgrade. The 18 vs 19 was more obvious on the 7th gen to me personally for some reason.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 AM

It's not just about the better looks of the 19" SR wheels. It's also the better handling and cornering that is achieved with the SR wheels on the platinum. We test drove both and the lower profile SR wheels made this car whip the turns better than the 18". The actual SR car stayed "slightly" flatter in the turns, but not enough to merit the much harsher ride of the SR.

Besides, looks are subjective anyway. It is however, certainly the popular vote of everyone in my circles that the SR wheels are definitely the better looking of all the wheels offered on the Maxima.

Platinum model with SR wheels is the way to go if you want the best of both worlds