8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SR

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:44 PM

2016 Maxima SR

So I'm looking at Nissan's website at the Maxima SR specs since it is the closest thing to my 2014 SV with Sport Package. Both come with the sports tuned suspension and 19 inch wheels.

The big difference that I am seeing is that no moonroof of any kind (panoramic or otherwise) is available on the Maxima SR. I know that Nissan is pushing the "4 Door Sports Car" moniker again but REALLY??!! It doesn't sound like a good decision not to offer some sort of sunroof in your top end sedan--- what's up with that Nissan?

Also, I noticed that a sports rear spoiler is only optional now on the Maxima SR. Granted, I know that some people don't like the look of a rear spoiler on their car, but I'm pretty sure that anyone choosing the "performance" version of your sedan (i.e. the SR) is going to want that rear spoiler as well.

Not sure where Nissan's thinking is on these items. I'm looking for premium options & amenities from your top-of-the-line sedan. If I didn't, I'd be looking at the Altima...
Old 04-04-2015, 08:41 PM

Not sure what that rationale is but all had sunroof from 2009-2014. Think they traded that for the Navigation. Sunroof should be an option for all models, imo. That may get fixed...just a feeling.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mick7
Not sure what that rationale is but all had sunroof from 2009-2014. Think they traded that for the Navigation. Sunroof should be an option for all models, imo. That may get fixed...just a feeling.
M.S.R.P. on the SR is almost $38,000. For that kind of money, people are going to want to be able to get a sunroof if they want one...
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 PM

SR is not top of the line. SL (one below) and Platinum (one above SR) both have the Pano moonroof

And there are two different spoilers....one that is an add-on for the SL and platinum and a different one that is SR specific.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JRod28
The big difference that I am seeing is that no moonroof of any kind (panoramic or otherwise) is available on the Maxima SR. I know that Nissan is pushing the "4 Door Sports Car" moniker again but REALLY??!! It doesn't sound like a good decision not to offer some sort of sunroof in your top end sedan--- what's up with that Nissan?
I actually kind of agree with Nissan. A true sports car enthusiast would not want the unnecessary weight at the worst possible part of the car. You want a moonroof, pick a different trim level. When I bought my NSX, I specifically hunted for an early year NSX because it was a hard top and the lightest one ever made, so I can see where Nissan is coming from on this.

Also, I noticed that a sports rear spoiler is only optional now on the Maxima SR. Granted, I know that some people don't like the look of a rear spoiler on their car, but I'm pretty sure that anyone choosing the "performance" version of your sedan (i.e. the SR) is going to want that rear spoiler as well.
Again, I agree with Nissan. A spoiler on a FWD car is typically useless. The fact that it's optional is a good thing. 1) It's extra weight and 2) it's not aerodynamically needed for the car to remain stable at high speeds.

You like the spoiler? No problem, just add it.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I actually kind of agree with Nissan. A true sports car enthusiast would not want the unnecessary weight at the worst possible part of the car. You want a moonroof, pick a different trim level. When I bought my NSX, I specifically hunted for an early year NSX because it was a hard top and the lightest one ever made, so I can see where Nissan is coming from on this.

Again, I agree with Nissan. A spoiler on a FWD car is typically useless. The fact that it's optional is a good thing. 1) It's extra weight and 2) it's not aerodynamically needed for the car to remain stable at high speeds.

I remember reading somewhere in the online literature for the 8th gen that Nissan wanted the SR to be somewhat closer to a sports sedan, so specifically dropped the moonroof option because that added weight at the worst possible location, just as you pointed out.

And, as you also pointed out, a spoiler would be simply a cosmetic addition to this car. This FWD jewel is a very well-equipped and enjoyable sporty family sedan, and is not actually intended as a track car, where a spoiler might serve some purpose at speeds over 90 MPH.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 04-05-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wonder what the spoiler looks like?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard

I understand where you are coming from but this redesigned Maxima (even in the SR trim level) is not in line with an NSX, GTR or even a 370Z. As much as Nissan wants to push the "4 Door Sports Car" tag on the Maxima, it is not in the same class as the other 3 cars-- very few will take this car to a track.
So structural rigidity or weight being compromised by the addition of a sunroof shouldn't be that big of a concern.

Plus a true sports car enthusiast probably wouldn't be buying a FWD car with a CVT transmission. I used to have a 350Z that I tracked at times. I consider myself a sports car enthusiasts. But when I bought my 2014 SV with sports package, I wanted a nice sedan with the amenities (like a sunroof) that was a little sportier looking and offered decent performance for a sedan. My Maxima fulfills all of these. I am thinking that there are more people out there who will consider buying the new Maxima with this same mindset rather than buying it because of the sports car mentality... Just think that Nissan is missing the boat by not appealing to this larger segment.

Just my opinion...
Old 04-05-2015, 10:49 AM

I understand where you are coming from but this redesigned Maxima (even in the SR trim level) is not in line with an NSX, GTR or even a 370Z. As much as Nissan wants to push the "4 Door Sports Car" tag on the Maxima, it is not in the same class as the other 3 cars-- very few will take this car to a track.
So structural rigidity or weight being compromised by the addition of a sunroof shouldn't be that big of a concern.

Plus a true sports car enthusiast probably wouldn't be buying a FWD car with a CVT transmission. I used to have a 350Z that I tracked at times. I consider myself a sports car enthusiasts. But when I bought my 2014 SV with sports package, I wanted a nice sedan with the amenities (like a sunroof) that was a little sportier looking and offered decent performance for a sedan. My Maxima fulfills all of these. I am thinking that there are more people out there who will consider buying the new Maxima with this same mindset rather than buying it because of the sports car mentality... Just think that Nissan is missing the boat by not appealing to this larger segment.

Just my opinion...
agree..
Old 04-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I really believe nissan was on a deadline and omitted certain features. I really believe a nismo version like the juke is coming. I also understand they wanna do packages which is easier to maintain
Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Agreed. This is not a 4 door sports car. Period. It's more of a sporty 4 door sedan.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blackarsenic83
I really believe nissan was on a deadline and omitted certain features. I really believe a nismo version like the juke is coming. I also understand they wanna do packages which is easier to maintain
It's taken them 4 years from concept to production to give us a Nismo Sentra, so don't expect a Maxima anytime soon.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM

I have to agree that not having the option of a sunroof is disappointing. You can spin-zone it all you want and say this and that as to why it's not a big deal, but it is a big deal.

Especially on beautiful days. Just the other day I was on the phone with my wife in my car and it was brisk outside but the sun was shining and I had the sunroof all the way open and just enjoying the sun on my face for like 10 minutes. Felt like a million bucks, especially after this past winter we had in the northeast.

I would hope and expect that this gets addressed because it is a big deal, just like another post said the wheels will get better as this generation evolves. From a performance standpoint, saying the 4DSC is "back" is a stretch as it seems like this new generation will be marginally better than the 7th generation. Wait and see, I guess, but the numbers indicate a modest improvement at best. Technologically speaking? Vast improvement. Night and day. Much better aesthetically with the interior also.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxmus
agreed. This is not a 4 door sports car. Period. It's more of a sporty 4 door sedan.
+ 1
Old 04-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by george__
This thing can't sell in Canada... It'll be almost $50,000 :|
Being that looking at cars all day is my job... ALL CARS in Canada are high, has nothing to do with Nissan....just an FYI

Also the SR. is meant to be more in tune with sport and the extra weight is not needed as stated before. I understand it's hard to embrace change, but I truly believe that Maximas were never meant to be a sports car...I don't like the phrase of the 4 door sports car....it's making people complain more about the cvt and it not having a manual or AWD.....want a manual get a 370Z want AWD get an Infiniti....8th gen will not please everyone...even the enthusiast
Old 04-05-2015, 03:38 PM

I understand where you are coming from but this redesigned Maxima (even in the SR trim level) is not in line with an NSX, GTR or even a 370Z. As much as Nissan wants to push the "4 Door Sports Car" tag on the Maxima, it is not in the same class as the other 3 cars-- very few will take this car to a track. So structural rigidity or weight being compromised by the addition of a sunroof shouldn't be that big of a concern. Plus a true sports car enthusiast probably wouldn't be buying a FWD car with a CVT transmission. I used to have a 350Z that I tracked at times. I consider myself a sports car enthusiasts. But when I bought my 2014 SV with sports package, I wanted a nice sedan with the amenities (like a sunroof) that was a little sportier looking and offered decent performance for a sedan. My Maxima fulfills all of these. I am thinking that there are more people out there who will consider buying the new Maxima with this same mindset rather than buying it because of the sports car mentality... Just think that Nissan is missing the boat by not appealing to this larger segment. Just my opinion...
What he said... +1

Just because Nissan calls it a "4-door sports car" doesn't make it so. Don't get me wrong, I like the Maxima and love my 7th gen. I just don't see this hanging with a 335i. A 300C SRT8 will eat a Maxima and spit out a Sentra SE-R.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by T200
What he said... +1

Just because Nissan calls it a "4-door sports car" doesn't make it so. Don't get me wrong, I like the Maxima and love my 7th gen. I just don't see this hanging with a 335i. A 300C SRT8 will eat a Maxima and spit out a Sentra SE-R.

Also the Maxima has never been Nissan's biggest seller so the people who can't find their niche in the 8th can stick with 7 th or go buy a 335i or whatever other cars you're stating... Do you not understand that the majority of the sales of Maxima was the S model...not the SV and when the SV was purchased it was not the sport it was the premium...so Nissan will be just fine...especially with adding the additional trims.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Just my opinion...
I agree with you guys for the most part. Most people don't have the luxury as many do, including myself, to have a sporty 4 door car (the Maxima) and real weekend sports cars (my NSX and Supra TT). To some, having this sporty version of the Maxima is the compromise, especially when you have a family and can only afford one car. If the SR trim make a person feel like they have a 4DSC, well then Nissan thought correctly and it's a win win situation for both parties. It's all about perception. I personally would never buy an 8th gen Maxima and call it a 4DSC, but I'd be happy to drive it with the wife and kids if I had them. A real 4DSC in my mind is a BMW M5....560hp, carbon ceramic brakes, the works. But how many people can afford a 100k car?

By no means was I trying to put this 8th gen Maxima anywhere in the same league as an NSX, GTR etc, that would be idiotic.

Last edited by The Wizard; 04-05-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 PM

i can understand some concerns but after looking at the specs why not just get the sl (which is cheaper) and get the bigger front sway bar added on later if having the panoramic roof is such a big deal... the cost will balance out so the sr not having the roof is not a huge issue at all
Old 04-05-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCherryMax
i can understand some concerns but after looking at the specs why not just get the sl (which is cheaper) and get the bigger front sway bar added on later if having the panoramic roof is such a big deal... the cost will balance out so the sr not having the roof is not a huge issue at all
I guess that my post is not really as much about money and/or options available on the new Maxima but more about Nissan dictating what customers can or cannot have on their cars instead of listening to customers and sales figures.

So Nissan says that true "sports cars" like the Maxima SR shouldn't have a sunroof. Well guess what--- one of the most popular cars at some of the track events I participated in were BMW M3s. I don't think that anyone would argue the M3's heritage as one of the premier sports sedans out there. And guess what, almost every one of them had a sunroof!

Some have suggested buying one of the trims that offers the sunroof and just upgrading the wheels and suspension on that car. But most customers aren't going to go to that trouble to upgrade their car AFTER the sale. And why would Nissan want the customer to go to an aftermarket source to get the car the way they want it instead of just offering customers what they want-- do they not want the money?

Folks, we're talking about a sunroof here. It's an option that most customers want in a new car. Even economy cars come with sunroofs. Certain "options" have become commonplace and have almost become standard on most vehicles these days. If you doubt what I'm saying, ask yourself when was the last time that you actually had to stick a key into the side of your door to unlock it...

I'm just sayin'...
Old 04-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I guess that my post is not really as much about money and/or options available on the new Maxima but more about Nissan dictating what customers can or cannot have on their cars instead of listening to customers and sales figures.

So Nissan says that true "sports cars" like the Maxima SR shouldn't have a sunroof. Well guess what--- one of the most popular cars at some of the track events I participated in were BMW M3s. I don't think that anyone would argue the M3's heritage as one of the premier sports sedans out there. And guess what, almost every one of them had a sunroof!

Some have suggested buying one of the trims that offers the sunroof and just upgrading the wheels and suspension on that car. But most customers aren't going to go to that trouble to upgrade their car AFTER the sale. And why would Nissan want the customer to go to an aftermarket source to get the car the way they want it instead of just offering customers what they want-- do they not want the money?

Folks, we're talking about a sunroof here. It's an option that most customers want in a new car. Even economy cars come with sunroofs. Certain "options" have become commonplace and have almost become standard on most vehicles these days. If you doubt what I'm saying, ask yourself when was the last time that you actually had to stick a key into the side of your door to unlock it...

I'm just sayin'...
Lol, you say all of this to say what? Nissan is not forcing nor dictating you...they're giving everyone a chance to own a Maxima...if a sunroof is stoping you, then once again you can choose another vehicle that will give you that option. You're making this about a sunroof when it's really not that big of a deal....I've never had a sunroof until this year....i like the new maxima but I have a choice....I'm able to get an Infiniti if I'd like because it does have AWD and comes in hybrid....see...I'm looking at other vehicles that have the specs I like....at the end of the day it's about personal choices....you're knocking a whole vehicle based off of one spec...but I digress

#ijs ��
Old 04-05-2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by maximacutie
Lol, you say all of this to say what? Nissan is not forcing nor dictating you...they're giving everyone a chance to own a Maxima...if a sunroof is stoping you, then once again you can choose another vehicle that will give you that option. You're making this about a sunroof when it's really not that big of a deal....I've never had a sunroof until this year....i like the new maxima but I have a choice....I'm able to get an Infiniti if I'd like because it does have AWD and comes in hybrid....see...I'm looking at other vehicles that have the specs I like....at the end of the day it's about personal choices....you're knocking a whole vehicle based off of one spec...but I digress

#ijs ��
So maybe the joke's on me since maybe this is an elaborate plan on Nissan's part to sell more Infinitis... LOL
Old 04-05-2015, 07:55 PM

Sunroof is a big deal, are you kidding me? Especially when you're accustomed to having one - when you want to use it, you want to use it. Period!

Not a deal-breaker for most but definitely an irk. I love the car, love Nissan, rah rah rah, but that really sucks. It does. You would reach up to press the button out of habit of always having one and then remember, "oh yeah."

Again, spin-zone it all you want, say this, that and the third as to why it's not a big deal, but it is.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 AM

Dudemaine - Don't give up. No, we don't have the ability to order exact options off the menu as can be done with some vehicles, but it is because of compromises such as this that enable Nissan to sell us a vehicle very near the same price that vehicle cost seven years ago, but with many many added features now in/on that car.

I have seen several photos that are not congruent with what we are currently able to offer (such as the SR wheels on the red car on Nissan's site that very clearly says 'Platinum' on the trunk lid), and I do expect we will eventually have a few options available later in the year. A sunroof on the SR may well be one such change. No guarantee, but don't give up hope.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 AM

LOTH I agree the pricing is good but for the money those "new electronic nannies" are available from other car makers at the same pricing. Also those other car makers had them on their cars a couple or several years ago. Blind spot, laser cruise, lane avoidance etc are not new and really should've been on the refresh of the 7th gen... It is a matter of perspective glass half full and all that.
The moonroof thing is kind of moronic since this is has been stated ad nauseum that it's a four door family car and it won't be tracked for 99.5% of people who buy it. That said, they should've put it on every car. People expect a certain standard when buying a 35-40K car. As someone stated above you would expect keyless entry and heated seats why not a moonroof. There has to be a better explanation than performance oriented to delete a moonroof. If that were the case they would strip half the stuff out of said car to see real weight savings and they would do it at the wheels in to create better handling and lower COG.
Anyway good luck to all who buy it and it is a nice looking update to the 7th gen but that's all it is from what I've read and saw...
Old 04-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Heres a real 4DSC

707HP
Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wishbone
Heres a real 4DSC

707HP
Yeah, for twice the price.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM

True 4dscs

Not some DODGE

Last edited by george__; 04-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:13 PM

For 20k+ more than the Maxima. Nissan is the only promoter of the 4DSC thing. The people who buy them know what they are getting...an unusual car that walks on the perimeters of the parameters of touring, luxury and sport car categories.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mick7
For 20k+ more than the Maxima. Nissan is the only promoter of the 4DSC thing. The people who buy them know what they are getting...an unusual car that walks on the perimeters of the parameters of touring, luxury and sport car categories.
I like that they are the only ones who give as close to a 4DSC at the price category.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:26 PM

Can we not compare cars that are twice the price of the Maxima? Moot point.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
LOTH I agree the pricing is good but for the money those "new electronic nannies" are available from other car makers at the same pricing. Also those other car makers had them on their cars a couple or several years ago. Blind spot, laser cruise, lane avoidance etc are not new and really should've been on the refresh of the 7th gen... It is a matter of perspective glass half full and all that.
The moonroof thing is kind of moronic since this is has been stated ad nauseum that it's a four door family car and it won't be tracked for 99.5% of people who buy it. That said, they should've put it on every car. People expect a certain standard when buying a 35-40K car. As someone stated above you would expect keyless entry and heated seats why not a moonroof. There has to be a better explanation than performance oriented to delete a moonroof. If that were the case they would strip half the stuff out of said car to see real weight savings and they would do it at the wheels in to create better handling and lower COG.
Well said
Old 04-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Just my opinion...
Agreed!
Old 04-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
Anyway good luck to all who buy it and it is a nice looking update to the 7th gen but that's all it is from what I've read and saw...
Good point! They why not take out navigation-- you don't need navigation to go around a track. Might as well save on the weight...
Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 PM

Yea, I'm also perplexed as to why there's no sun/moonroof on the SR. There's a couple other things I'm baffled about also (no body-colored side mirrors or door handles). Those should at least be an option. Not a deal breaker by any means, though.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:41 PM

Good point! They why not take out navigation-- you don't need navigation to go around a track. Might as well save on the weight...
It's software, weighs nothing.

Kidding aside, it's no different than having a standard radio.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:43 PM

I will say that it is a great new look and it will be fun to see and drive one. I just don't see how everyone is acting like its brand new. People are saying it's got this new and that new.... I get it but comparatively the new Max is just catching up with others in that money class. I've read several people who seem to be freaking out about how great and new it is. I don't want to be a naysayer but facts are facts on the amenities and the body style catching up with other sedans in and around it class. I'm a Nissan fan and always will be :-)

I drove a Datsun bluebird at the age of 10 on Donabate beach in Dublin where I grew up. I've read multiple car magazines every month for 20 years, I've followed F1 for 20+ years and owned and worked on all types of cars in the past. That being said I have read all the new cars in the last couple of years and the New Maxima is a nice looking redesigned improved car...that's all. The differences between other gen's seem more of a leap than this one. So good luck to all getting the new one and I hope it is everything you want. When it comes time for me to buy I will absolutely be looking at it.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 PM

Moonroof/sunroof is key when your windows are smoked and your cruising by the po po. I just slide it open let that extra light in and cruise by.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:02 PM

What about the Leuxs IS series?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 PM

Vq! ^^

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima SR