7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Iphone5-Lightening to 30 Pin Adapter-2009 Maxima

Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 PM

Iphone5-Lightening to 30 Pin Adapter-2009 Maxima

FYI:

Today via Fed-Ex I received Apple's Lightning 8 pin to 30 pin (old style) adapter.

I have a 2009 Maxima with premium audio package which includes Ipod control via Nissan's custom cable to the Apple 30 Pin Connector (NOT the USB interface which is in the 2010+ cars).

I can confirm that all audio and control functions work fine with it, my Iphone5, and my 2009 Maxima.

It does NOT however charge the Iphone5 thru the Adapter and Nissan cable combo. To charge it, you will have to plug the Iphone5/adapter combo into a generic 30 pin car charging cable OR use the original 8 pin to USB cable that came with the phone and plug that into a 12-volt cigarette to USB adapter.

Just thought that if anyone was thinking about getting the iphone5 and has a 2009 Maxima with Ipod interface would like to know. Those of you with the 2010+ Maximas which has the USB intefrace Ipod cables should be able to just plug in your new USB to 8 Pin cable from Apple, without issue. And also most likely will be able to charge the phone as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Good to know ordered mine this morning even though I use a BB Stereo Gateway so I can stream over Bluetooth
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
Good to know ordered mine this morning even though I use a BB Stereo Gateway so I can stream over Bluetooth
The bb gateway works with the iPhone 5??
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Yup it does
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Well that' sucks for the 5. You would need 2 adapter to play and charge at same time.

One thing I hate about my 09". I have the adapter on 4s and with case on phone it's connection sucks and comes loose alot. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be putting another adapter on top of that also w the 5 ..
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Anyone know if the iphone 5 + lightning to 30 pin adapter + a 3gs charge converter will allow charging to work?

e.g. http://cablejive.com/charge-converter

I have a different brand but it's the same idea.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by pearle
Anyone know if the iphone 5 + lightning to 30 pin adapter + a 3gs charge converter will allow charging to work?

e.g. http://cablejive.com/charge-converter

I have a different brand but it's the same idea.
I got an adapter a few days back and have been trying to make it work. I have a 2009 maxima with tech.

I plugged the original 2009 maxima cable into the car, plugged that into a CableJive 3gs to iPhone 4 converter (to allow for charging), plugged that into a 30 pin to lightning adapter, plugged that into my iphone 5.

Car -> OE maxima cable -> CableJive adapter -> Apple brand 30 pin-lightning adapter -> iPhone 5

I went with this one instead of the one shown above because I wanted to be able to leave all the adapters in my center console and just have the lightning connector sticking out.

It sorta works. When I first plugged it all in, my car just said "ipod not connected" on the screen, however, it did show as "charging" on my phone and it connected to bluetooth. When I would try hitting the play button on my iPhone 5, it would play for about 2 seconds and then pause again. After I drove around for ~15 minutes, all of the sudden it connected and started playing music. At this point my steering wheel controls and everything worked. I tried it again today and it did the same thing. Seems to take it forever to recognize that it's connected.

I double checked all the connections to make sure everything was connected snug, and it all seems to be good. I even tried taking out the cable jive adapter and just plugging the 30pin-lightning adapter directly into the 2009 max cable and it behaved exactly the same (except it didn't charge).

I used to have an iPhone 4 and connected it into the cablejive and that worked flawlessly.

I tried connecting my iPhone 5 to my home stereo with the apple 30 pin - lightning connector and that worked without any issues.

Has anyone else experienced this/found a solution?

Last edited by JakeOfAllTrades; 04-04-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM

I've seen that the BB gateway works between the iPhone 5 and the 09 max. What is the connection setup for this? Do you use a headphone to RCA converter and plug it into the RCA jacks in the max? Does this allow for steering wheel controls?

Is it possible to get a compact flash bluetooth card that would allow us to stream directly to the unit? Does anyone have access to one they could try it with?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:50 PM

Does your 09 have a USB jack or just the RCA ?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Blackmax12
Does your 09 have a USB jack or just the RCA ?
No USB, it's got a 30-pin iPod connection that plugs into the car via a proprietary nissan specific connection, and it's got the RCA hookups.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 AM

I also tried one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1PU0GC1582

And it didn't work well for me. Would say it was paired, but no music would play. It's also a one way connection, so even if it did play, the steering wheel controls and such wouldn't work.

Anyone try this:

http://theauris.com/collections/freeda

???
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM

Here's what I've been using since I upgraded to the iPhone 5. I never did end up getting my lightning to 30-pin connection to work with the standard"iphone connection" in the 09 max.

http://www.directron.com/gipodavc6.html?gsear=1

I use this in conjunction with the 30-pin to lightning adapter I mentioned earlier.

I plugged the USB cable into a cigarette outlet adapter and it charges the iPhone, although I often have to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to charge.

I found I was getting a little bit of fuzz when playing music, it ended up being caused by the video cable, so I simply unplugged since I was just playing pandora and not video anyway and now it sounds great.

This setup doesn't work with the steering wheel controls, and doesn't display track info on the max's screen. But it's the best solution I could get to work.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades
I got an adapter a few days back and have been trying to make it work. I have a 2009 maxima with tech.

I plugged the original 2009 maxima cable into the car, plugged that into a CableJive 3gs to iPhone 4 converter (to allow for charging), plugged that into a 30 pin to lightning adapter, plugged that into my iphone 5.

Car -> OE maxima cable -> CableJive adapter -> Apple brand 30 pin-lightning adapter -> iPhone 5

I went with this one instead of the one shown above because I wanted to be able to leave all the adapters in my center console and just have the lightning connector sticking out.

It sorta works. When I first plugged it all in, my car just said "ipod not connected" on the screen, however, it did show as "charging" on my phone and it connected to bluetooth. When I would try hitting the play button on my iPhone 5, it would play for about 2 seconds and then pause again. After I drove around for ~15 minutes, all of the sudden it connected and started playing music. At this point my steering wheel controls and everything worked. I tried it again today and it did the same thing. Seems to take it forever to recognize that it's connected.

I double checked all the connections to make sure everything was connected snug, and it all seems to be good. I even tried taking out the cable jive adapter and just plugging the 30pin-lightning adapter directly into the 2009 max cable and it behaved exactly the same (except it didn't charge).

I used to have an iPhone 4 and connected it into the cablejive and that worked flawlessly.

I tried connecting my iPhone 5 to my home stereo with the apple 30 pin - lightning connector and that worked without any issues.

Has anyone else experienced this/found a solution?

I have that exact same problem and I have not come up with a solution yet. I just thought my adapter was going bad. I want to say I didn't have that issue when I had my iPhone 4s. Let me know if you find anything or if anyone on here knows of a fix or workaround!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MK33
I have that exact same problem and I have not come up with a solution yet. I just thought my adapter was going bad. I want to say I didn't have that issue when I had my iPhone 4s. Let me know if you find anything or if anyone on here knows of a fix or workaround!
Yep, mine worked fine with my iPhone 4.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM

does anybody know how to stream music via bluetooth???
Old 02-07-2014, 05:14 AM

this seems to work.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 AM

For mine I use my cord from the car to this adapter (
Amazon.com: Xtenzi Charging Adapter For Alpine KCX-422TR 12 to 5 Volt for Ipod Nano Touch Iphone: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Xtenzi Charging Adapter For Alpine KCX-422TR 12 to 5 Volt for Ipod Nano Touch Iphone: Car Electronics
) to a 30pin to lightning adapter cord....

Now which bb gateway is the one to use for the iPhone 5?

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FckWMgodbX8A6g
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16 AM

I still use the first gen one used it with my iphone 4 and now my 5

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...32-316614515-2
Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM

I still use the first gen one used it with my iphone 4 and now my 5

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...32-316614515-2
Awesome. It's the cheaper one too..
Old 02-07-2014, 10:26 AM

How's the sound quality with the BB Gateway?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 AM

How's the sound quality with the BB Gateway?
Excellent. Sounds better to me than the CD player.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 AM

So I am thinking about getting this blackberry device mentioned in this thread. I see that they are powered via usb, and I have a cig plug to usb adapter i can use. But how do you guys get around the fact that the power receptacle in the center console main storage bin is always powered on, thus powering the blackberry device all the time? I would rather not run a small power cable from the small storage bin over the trim and back to the center storage console main storage bin.
FYI: I have the NAV Stereo unit in my car, but the 2009 models do not allow music streaming via bluetooth. So i already have the audio/video inputs in the center console main storage box.

I am hoping to get an "automatic linkup" with my iphone5 to play music, similar to activation of the phone for phone calls when I start the car.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Iphone 5

I have the Nissan Iphone adapter and a 30 pin to lighting cable attached to that and I'm not getting any luck in being able to play music. I've gone through the forum and have seen several ideas but I've already spent $30 on this and I'd like to not have to spend any more. Any suggestions on what I could do to get this to work for my 2009 Maxima?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mwsajn
I have the Nissan Iphone adapter and a 30 pin to lighting cable attached to that and I'm not getting any luck in being able to play music. I've gone through the forum and have seen several ideas but I've already spent $30 on this and I'd like to not have to spend any more. Any suggestions on what I could do to get this to work for my 2009 Maxima?
I am in the same boat as you. I am about to inherit my wife's 2009 Maxima (fully loaded), and have purchased a 30 pin to lightning cable. When I use this cable to connect my iPhone to the proprietary Nissan cable, I get a "not compatible" error on the phone and no connection is made with the car. Anyone else having any better luck?

This is terribly frustrating, and may have to settle for the Composite Audio to Mini RCA method.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 AM

If anyone here has there phone jailbroken, this may be of service, just go to cydia and download unauthorized lightning adapter...

Last edited by Tommy6905; 03-22-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by deconomist
I am in the same boat as you. I am about to inherit my wife's 2009 Maxima (fully loaded), and have purchased a 30 pin to lightning cable. When I use this cable to connect my iPhone to the proprietary Nissan cable, I get a "not compatible" error on the phone and no connection is made with the car. Anyone else having any better luck?

This is terribly frustrating, and may have to settle for the Composite Audio to Mini RCA method.

As mentioned earlier in this thread you will have to have pretty much 3 connectors for it to work semi-properly. I say semi-properly because most of the time it works for me but every now and then it wont recognize my phone but I wonder if that has anything to do with my connector.

So you will need the original Nissan 30 pin connector cord plugged into the car. Then you will need to plug the Jive adapter mentioned earlier in this thread to that. Lastly, You will have to use the 30 pin to lightning adapter connector to plug into your phone and Voila!

Hope that works for ya.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tommy6905
If anyone here has there phone jailbroken, this may be of service, just go to cydia and download unauthorized lightning adapter...
Also u will need to add the repo to sources,

Repo.insanelyi.com/

Then you'll find unauthorized lightning adapter

Edit: I'm not advising anyone to jailbreak there phone if there not comfortable doing so, if u have knowledge of how to do so or u have done already this may be the answer to what u guys r looking for.

Last edited by Tommy6905; 03-22-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This works for me

I have a 2009 with the factory ipod/iphone integration option. I tried the first adapter in this thread and didn't work. I purchased the following (
Amazon.com: Bargainaccessories[TM] 3.5Mm Jack Audio Support Adapter Charge Sync Converter 30 To 8 Pin For Iphone 5 5S Ipod Touch Nano Ihome Radio Docks + 1 Free Bargainaccessories Dust plug (ORANGE): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bargainaccessories[TM] 3.5Mm Jack Audio Support Adapter Charge Sync Converter 30 To 8 Pin For Iphone 5 5S Ipod Touch Nano Ihome Radio Docks + 1 Free Bargainaccessories Dust plug (ORANGE): Cell Phones & Accessories
) from Amazon. I was skeptical that it would actually work but it did. It still doesn't charge but the 30 pin never did anyway. It does allow you to play AND control via interface, steering wheel. Now, I've only had this for a week but it's still working and sound quality is as good as when connected via a iphone 4. Word of warning if you order this via Amazon, make sure it's labeled as prime or fulfilled by amazon. I made the mistake of taking the orange one with no prime because it was $2 cheaper. It took 4 weeks to be delivered because it came from China. Like someone else in the post I had already invested in other adapters so didn't want to buy another one just to get it quicker. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2011 Nissan Maxima SV sport no Navigation

Will this wire solve all my issues? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281275895336?lpid=82

2011 maxima SV sport technology package no navigation.
my iphone 5 will not stream pandora or anything via usb or bluetooth.
so the RCA jacks are my last resourse..

any ideas if those wire will allow me to display video and audio from my i phone 5 to car speakers and video to screen?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Here's what I've been using since I upgraded to the iPhone 5. I never did end up getting my lightning to 30-pin connection to work with the standard"iphone connection" in the 09 max.

http://www.directron.com/gipodavc6.html?gsear=1

I use this in conjunction with the 30-pin to lightning adapter I mentioned earlier.

I plugged the USB cable into a cigarette outlet adapter and it charges the iPhone, although I often have to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to charge.

I found I was getting a little bit of fuzz when playing music, it ended up being caused by the video cable, so I simply unplugged since I was just playing pandora and not video anyway and now it sounds great.

This setup doesn't work with the steering wheel controls, and doesn't display track info on the max's screen. But it's the best solution I could get to work.
Are you able to play videos through this? Because i bought the same thing but it wouldnt play video just audio so i ended up returning it and just using the adapter
Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

iPhone 6 iPod adapter info

I have the new iPhone 6 Plus and I've purchased a few of the adapters from China and in my opinion, they SUCK! I went to our local Fry's and purchased the genuine Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter and it works for almost everything. It still does NOT charge the phone! I also have a Scosche IFWA passPORT charging adapter that worked on my iPhone 4S, but since I plugged my POS China adapters in, I can't get power to the phone. I've even tried it on my 4S, that worked before the POS adapter and that will not charge now!

So to make this work for your iPhone/iPad/iPod with a lighting connector, you will need a few items:

1 - Genuine Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter ($30.00 retail from Apple)
1 - Scosche IFWA passPORT Charging Adapter ($20-$30 from eBay)
1 - 8-pin extension cable (about $6.00 on eBay)

The last item is not needed but by doing this, you can leave all of the connectors together in your center console and have a cleaner looking 8-pin cable coming out. With all of the cables/adapters connected, it's about 4 1/2 inches long.

Scott
Old 10-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone have any luck with Ipod 3G's running the latest firmware...believe it's iOS 5.1??

I tried a 4G and it worked fine. For some reason the (non-usb) Ipod connector in my '09 will not even begin to acknowledge my 3G when I plug it in. Is this latest firmware not supported?
Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cApstone
Anyone have any luck with Ipod 3G's running the latest firmware...believe it's iOS 5.1??

I tried a 4G and it worked fine. For some reason the (non-usb) Ipod connector in my '09 will not even begin to acknowledge my 3G when I plug it in. Is this latest firmware not supported?
What IOS are you running?

Scott
Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

iOS 5.1.1
Old 10-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

All iPhones will work!

ALL IPHONE MODELS WILL WORK IN YOUR 2009 MAXIMA!

I have tested all iPhones models, including the new iPhone 6 Plus and they ALL work!

There are a few issues that I have resolved.

1 - If you have a 5c or newer unit with an Lighting port (8-pin port), you will first need to purchase an official Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter. DO NOT PURCHASE ONE OFF OF EBAY! Even if the sellers says it is an original Apple item, you can't trust them and they will cause problems with your iPod adapter!!! (See #4)
2 - If you want to charge your iPhone (all iPhones), you will need to purchase a Scosche IFWA passPORT. You CAN also use this in conjunction with the Apple adapter!
3 - If you have lost your iPod cable (center console port to iphone) and you purchased a new one, double-check to see that you purchased the correct one. I have heard that there are 3 different types of cables and not all of them will work for your Maxima.
4 - *** If you have purchased the "Made in China" adapter and tried to use it and you are still having problems with steps 1 and/or 2, you may have fried your iPod Adapter. This is the module that changes the data from the iPhone to your radio head unit and is located at the base of the center console, in front of your in-cabin air filter. You can purchase a used from eBay for about $99, until they are all gone, then you'll have to buy them new. The internet price is $358.55 from NissanPartsDirect.com. The part number should be 284H1-1BA0A, but double-check the part number that is on yours. It took me about 10 minutes to pull it out of my car with a 10mm socket and a #15 torx bit. If you need a copy of the factory service manual's instructions on how to do this, please let me know and I will post them.

Scott

Last edited by partsace; 10-19-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ipad with '09 Maxima?

Can I use an Ipad 2 or 3 with my 2009 Maxima Ipod interface? I am mainly just wanting to use it for music that I can control through my steering wheel.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Banned

iPad 2 Yes / iPad 3 untested...

I have tried the iPad 2 and it works just fine. I have not had a chance to get my hands on a iPad 3, so I have not tested it. I don't think there will be a problem with that. All you will need is to 30-pin to lightning adapter because I don't think there is enough power to charge your iPad.

Scott
Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by partsace
I have the new iPhone 6 Plus and I've purchased a few of the adapters from China and in my opinion, they SUCK! I went to our local Fry's and purchased the genuine Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter and it works for almost everything. It still does NOT charge the phone! I also have a Scosche IFWA passPORT charging adapter that worked on my iPhone 4S, but since I plugged my POS China adapters in, I can't get power to the phone. I've even tried it on my 4S, that worked before the POS adapter and that will not charge now!

So to make this work for your iPhone/iPad/iPod with a lighting connector, you will need a few items:

1 - Genuine Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter ($30.00 retail from Apple)
1 - Scosche IFWA passPORT Charging Adapter ($20-$30 from eBay)
1 - 8-pin extension cable (about $6.00 on eBay)

The last item is not needed but by doing this, you can leave all of the connectors together in your center console and have a cleaner looking 8-pin cable coming out. With all of the cables/adapters connected, it's about 4 1/2 inches long.

Scott
I tried this 30-pin to 8-pin adapter and had no luck (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...n-adapter-02-m). Are you suggesting only this one will work? (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3a)

Also, the iPod cable in the 2009 Maxima never charged my iPhone -- even when I had a 4/4S which had the 30-pin connection.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:59 PM

I have an iPhone 6 plus, running the current IOS 8.1.2 I can plug the regular apple usb lightning cable to my 2010 SV (color screen non navi) and play/charge/control everything with no problems.
When I purchased my Max about a month ago, I anticipated having to get adapters to make everything work, but was pleasantly surprised when I plugged the phone into the stock console usb and had no problems. Is this normal?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stooop32
I have an iPhone 6 plus, running the current IOS 8.1.2 I can plug the regular apple usb lightning cable to my 2010 SV (color screen non navi) and play/charge/control everything with no problems.
When I purchased my Max about a month ago, I anticipated having to get adapters to make everything work, but was pleasantly surprised when I plugged the phone into the stock console usb and had no problems. Is this normal?
This thread is only for the '09 Maxima because this model did not come stock with a factory USB connection like the newer ones. We are trying to find solutions for Nissan being short-sighted and not using a USB connection.

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iphone5-Lightening to 30 Pin Adapter-2009 Maxima