4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Knock Sensor Symptoms

Old 04-23-2002, 06:04 AM

Knock Sensor Symptoms

Does anyone know what the symptoms are for a Knock Sensor being bad.
I drove my car for 20,000 miles with the mil light on and new I had a code 130 and 150. I did not notice any loss of power. I now have a loss of power and the car dies sometimes when I come to a stop. I just did a diagnostic check and I have Oxygen Sensor Right(130) and Left bank(150), Speed Sensor(500) and Knock sensor(325).
Old 04-23-2002, 09:44 AM

Bad knock sensors can give bad gas milage.Bad performance , as in less power. thigns to that effect.

SuDZ
Old 04-23-2002, 09:55 AM

Most people on the org have suggested that the KS codes tends to come on as ride along to O2 sensor problems sometimes and if the problem of the O2's is corrected and it STILL comes on then it needs to be changed.

To me, it sounds like your car has other issues besides the KS. I would address the sensors first, reset the ECU, and if the KS comes back THEN change it. It is not a super cheap sensor and a real pain to reach, but can be done with a very long extension, swivel, and a 12mm socket.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:18 PM

Re: Knock Sensor Symptoms

Originally posted by BattleBotsJudge
Does anyone know what the symptoms are for a Knock Sensor being bad.
I drove my car for 20,000 miles with the mil light on and new I had a code 130 and 150. I did not notice any loss of power. I now have a loss of power and the car dies sometimes when I come to a stop. I just did a diagnostic check and I have Oxygen Sensor Right(130) and Left bank(150), Speed Sensor(500) and Knock sensor(325).
Thanks for the information. I am in the process of purchasing the sensor's on line and will forward my results.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
Most people on the org have suggested that the KS codes tends to come on as ride along to O2 sensor problems sometimes and if the problem of the O2's is corrected and it STILL comes on then it needs to be changed.

To me, it sounds like your car has other issues besides the KS. I would address the sensors first, reset the ECU, and if the KS comes back THEN change it. It is not a super cheap sensor and a real pain to reach, but can be done with a very long extension, swivel, and a 12mm socket.
I measured the resistance of the Oxygen sensors and they were at 5.9 ohms. The shop manual say's it's supposed to be around 2.3 to 4.3 ohms, so I will order them today. I measured the resitance of knock sensor and it was out of specification? Although, I am not sure though that I found the right knock sensor connector. I will reverify the connector location tonight. Thanks for the post.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:02 PM

I measured the resistance of the Oxygen sensors and they were at 5.9 ohms. The shop manual say's it's supposed to be around 2.3 to 4.3 ohms, so I will order them today. I measured the resitance of knock sensor and it was out of specification? Although, I am not sure though that I found the right knock sensor connector. I will reverify the connector location tonight. Thanks for the post.

hey I have a 95 gxe and it kept stalling with out any notice as well, took it to the dealer and they said it waqs either the knock sensor, coolant valve sensor or the purge volume control connector = $850.00 to repair all 3. I was not going for it! I had the first 2 problems fixed and really didn't need the third fixed and paid less to get it done. get the coolanr valve senor fixed first ($48.00 part)and see if you have the same problem, if still acting up, then get the knock sensor fixed ($125.00 part). hope this helps just passing on the knowledge.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by bbrown

hey I have a 95 gxe and it kept stalling with out any notice as well, took it to the dealer and they said it waqs either the knock sensor, coolant valve sensor or the purge volume control connector = $850.00 to repair all 3. I was not going for it! I had the first 2 problems fixed and really didn't need the third fixed and paid less to get it done. get the coolanr valve senor fixed first ($48.00 part)and see if you have the same problem, if still acting up, then get the knock sensor fixed ($125.00 part). hope this helps just passing on the knowledge.
bbrown,

Thanks for the information. I bought a knock sensor but did not replace it because when I checked the resistance it was okay. I will order the coolant valve sensor first.

Sorry for not responding sooner, BattleBots Judge.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:24 AM

coolant valve sensor

bbrown,

Thanks for the information. I bought a knock sensor but did not replace it because when I checked the resistance it was okay. I will order the coolant valve sensor first.

Sorry for not responding sooner, BattleBots Judge.

Hey, no problem, after I got the coolant valve sensor, no more engine cutting off.

good luck
Old 06-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a '95 GXE w/ ~90K miles. The knock sensor was replaced at ~40K miles and I fear it it is going bad again. The MIL has not come on and it did not come on when it malfunctioned previously. My symptom is a noticable loss of power at low RPM's, almost like a stutter or miss, and bad gas mileage. I've read that these are not too difficult to replace. Can anyone send me information on where it is located and how to replace it? Also, where's the best place to get parts these days? A have always dealt with Courtesy Nissan in the past.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

Hmmm this is curious. On my way back from the NE meet yesterday, my CEL came on. Today I pulled the code and it was the 0304 which is the front O2 sensor. Its possible I did not put it in right or I busted a wire after doing NUMEROUS Y pipe /OEM pipe install/deinstalls.

Since I should be getting my damn Y pipe back soon I will swap the front and back O2 sensors and see if it changes anything.

I then tried the resistance check on my Knock Sensor. I had my ohmmeter set to RX 1K range and the meter read in the neighborhood of 500K x1000x, so this would mean my KS resistance is at 500,000 ohms. Either my ohmmeter is smoking crack, or my KS is shot. 0304 (the KS code) didnt come up though. I wonder whats up.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Mattw
I have a '95 GXE w/ ~90K miles. The knock sensor was replaced at ~40K miles and I fear it it is going bad again. The MIL has not come on and it did not come on when it malfunctioned previously. My symptom is a noticable loss of power at low RPM's, almost like a stutter or miss, and bad gas mileage. I've read that these are not too difficult to replace. Can anyone send me information on where it is located and how to replace it? Also, where's the best place to get parts these days? A have always dealt with Courtesy Nissan in the past.
Go here:

http://www.skippynet.com/maxima/knocksensor.htm
Old 06-10-2002, 11:06 AM

Today I pulled the code and it was the 0304 which is the front O2 sensor
0304 (the KS code) didnt come up though. I wonder whats up.
whoops?