6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

High pressure hose for power steering...

Old 06-15-2013, 03:10 PM

High pressure hose for power steering...

How hard is it to replace the high pressure hose on the power steering system? I believe I traced the leak to there but can only see one end of the hose.

Also, it is advisable to use an aftermarket part like one from Autozone?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by RSpi
How hard is it to replace the high pressure hose on the power steering system? I believe I traced the leak to there but can only see one end of the hose.

Also, it is advisable to use an aftermarket part like one from Autozone?

If you can find a place nearby that repairs big rig hydraulic lines, you can take it to them and have them replace the line itself, and rebuild it. When a friend of mine had it done, it only cost him about $50 to get it done, and hasn't failed him yet.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the line, do you know how? I have NO IDEA where the other end is.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the line, do you know how? I have NO IDEA where the other end is.
well then it's time to call nissan I guess.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Really, is that what this forum is for? Senior Member huh? Wow!!! Thanks for the help Kryggen.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:29 PM

"Really, is that what this forum is for? Senior Member huh? Wow!!! Thanks for the help Kryggen."

Well, if you take a picture of a leak, and then you have no clue where the other end of the hose is, and you have no way to find out other than asking here, and you have been working on cars since you were 14, and you do airplane oil changes, I really suggest you call nissan and have them do it because you are obviously not going to do it successfully...

Don't take it personally, I have nothing against you. This question is too vague to get any serious replies. Time will tell.

Oh since you are acting a bit tough with me, let's see some of your lastest posts:

"I just picked up a '99 which I guess is a 4th gen. I already put 1,100 miles on it and got it up to about 75 mph on I-40. Maybe I should stay out of this since I'm to cheep to pay for the gas of high speed."

"Well, 1st off, I'm not a NEWBIE. I've been participating in auto forms for years. "

"However, this post was made on 6.29.11. Way after I posted the "Maxi.org Kinda Sucks" comment over on the Volvo form on 5.6.11. I posted a couple of questions about a '91 Maxi that I picked up and got a bunch of crap. New or not, still should not have been treated like crap."

"As for my auto experience, I have been tinkering with cars since I was 14."

"However, I do suffer from OCD and would rather ask what oil weight goes in a car than to put in the WRONG stuff.
Beyond that, I have several years as an aircraft mechanic where I service airplanes all over the world so no, I really don't need anyone to hold my hands while I change oil."

"So, back to my initial experience... Maxima.org kinda sucks!"

"I'm a little confused. Is the caliper bolts suppose to be torqued to 105 - 126 ft lb or 16 - 23 ft lb?"

Really, don,t take it personally, my suggestion is that you should call your local nissan dealership and have them deal with it.

Last edited by Kryogen; 06-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 AM

Oh, are you Maxi.org? Maybe you have taken it personally. Seems that you have carried a chip or stump on your shoulders since 6/11. Man, I hope you get some help for what ills you. If you're ever in town let me know, I can help you get some for free if need be. As for the rest of the "watchers", good luck with the rest of your lives.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I came here to give my input on the power steering hose replacement since i have done a few of these but after reading the whole thread, I second the motion that you should not attempt this yourself and rather bring it to a mechanic who can do the job right.

good luck with the car.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not really helpful advice but I just changed mine about 4 months ago and it's a HUGE page in the ***. Pulling the motor out of my 99 silverado seemed much more simpler to me. The problem for me is that space is so tight, I had trouble getting my arm in there from the bottom to actually get to it. After doing it, i'm thinking it may have been easier to pull the upper intake off (as if you were changing the plugs) to do it. If you've got no experience doing it, i'd say just take it somewhere.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Well, thanks for all of the replies but none of them answered the simple question of "where is the other end".

Anywho, I changed it this afternoon. The other end was in the steering rack. It's not a bad job if you are a little guy like me, with narrow arms. It can be done in 2 hours.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Well, thanks for all of the replies but none of them answered the simple question of "where is the other end".

Anywho, I changed it this afternoon. The other end was in the steering rack. It's not a bad job if you are a little guy like me, with narrow arms. It can be done in 2 hours.
hello there,
Its sad that some of us attack viciously at some comments posts eta...does not serve the purpose of the org.
So here is my piece.
I changed this hose recently. or got it changed. the mechanic charged me 85 for labor and the part costed around 120 from the tricities nissan in johnson city tennessee. They are real nice people and even though I am from MI, they gaveme the best price and shipping was like 12 bucks. I also purchased some other parts from them so shipping can be lower in your case.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:50 PM

The parts guy is ray kelly and his number is 4239521920
tell him i referred you (the guy from MI) he will remember me
the car need to be raised and passenger wheel removed to access the lower part of the hose. the central clamp is also hard to reach. If you do not have the proper tools, this is a tough job. so mechanic who accepts your parts will be the best bet.
Aftermarket hose is known to give some humming noise and that is the reason why everyone goes with OEM on this.
The system needs to be primed well after the installation to remove all the air from the system.
Also order 2 bottles of oem power steering fluid from ray. they run around 4 dollars for each bottle
Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 PM

^^ that's awesome!!

The OP's last post said he was all done though.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:28 AM

oh god, you've found that one end of the power steering high presure hose plugs into the steering rack, and the other end plugs in the power steering pump?
Oh, so you mean that this high presure hose connects the pump to the rack?
This is insanely ingenious, I would never have though about this. Brilliant.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMaxima04
Not really helpful advice but I just changed mine about 4 months ago and it's a HUGE page in the ***. Pulling the motor out of my 99 silverado seemed much more simpler to me. The problem for me is that space is so tight, I had trouble getting my arm in there from the bottom to actually get to it. After doing it, i'm thinking it may have been easier to pull the upper intake off (as if you were changing the plugs) to do it. If you've got no experience doing it, i'd say just take it somewhere.
Something to think about.

Been delaying this for a month now and having to add fluid every 2 days smh.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM

Glad you got it fixed. I did mine about 2 years back. It was a PITA job and I think it took me a full 8 hours working with limited tools.

The he hardest part was connecting the hose back to the pump, the volt at the back of the manifold by the firewall, another bolt by the catylic, then from the rack.

After all that that which worked out, the PS pump died same time. Took it to dealer, had them install, then sold it a few days later.

Would i do do it again, sure. I like the challenge, but with better tools, and maybe get it down to 2 or 3 hours.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:24 AM

I went to the JY to test remove one and it was practically impossible for me. Thats even with more access due to some parts already out of the way. I'm just gonna have to fork out the 300+ to have it done..sigh.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by smplyamzng
I went to the JY to test remove one and it was practically impossible for me. Thats even with more access due to some parts already out of the way. I'm just gonna have to fork out the 300+ to have it done..sigh.
HOLD UP. NOT YET!!!

Go watch the YouTube video on "how to replace high pressure hose on 2007 maxima".

That was the instructional video that I used then and I watched it over about 3 times before I started the surgery. It's not the best but it worked for me. Let us know what you think.