6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Another problem...wheel bearing???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Another problem...wheel bearing???

Yes, back again with another problem. This time it sounds like one of the wheel bearings.
For the past month, I've been hearing a roaring noise coming from the front of the car (not sure if its driver or passenger). At the start of the month, the noise wasn't that bad so I was assuming my tires were making the noise since they were at the tread indicators. Recently the noise got progressively louder especially around 30-60mph. Above 60mph, the wind/road hides the roar.
I decided to change the tires yesterday since they were at the end of their life and hoping the noise will go away.

So new tires are installed from the shop, I start driving on my new tires, and what do I hear, the same damn roar between 30-60mph, with the roar being louder around 50mph. I really hear it when banking right at speed and gets quieter banking left at speed.

It really sounds like the wheel bearings are going bad. What do you guys think??

The problems are just occurring one after another. I'll be back to the dealer Monday. Hopefully it won't cost too much.

-Car has been maintained
-have 74,500 miles
-CV boots looked good last time I inspected them. (when I changed out the rotors/pads)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Does the noise go away under hard cornering in one direction? I am assuming your brake pads are good and the rotors are not warped.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Elite6
Does the noise go away under hard cornering in one direction? I am assuming your brake pads are good and the rotors are not warped.
Turning to the left at speed does reduce the noise. Pads and rotors are new. Rotors are not warped - no vibration at the wheel when braking at high speed.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 AM

I'm off to the dealer today. What I should of done this past weekend is jack the front end up and spin the tires. I'm pretty sure the wheel bearings are the issue. So much racket out of a $35 part.

The part is cheap but I don't have the tools to remove/replace the part. (need a press, etc)
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 AM

I have the same problem, at first I thought it was the gusset support on our exhaust. Then I was told by the dealer this Friday when I had my cvt flushed that it could be my tires, what he called "cupping". Not really sure what he meant but will have it checked when I get my tires rotated and balanced.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Houstonhulk
I have the same problem, at first I thought it was the gusset support on our exhaust. Then I was told by the dealer this Friday when I had my cvt flushed that it could be my tires, what he called "cupping". Not really sure what he meant but will have it checked when I get my tires rotated and balanced.
I have brand new tires on my car and the noise is still there.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:00 AM

Got the car back of the dealer. It turned out to be the passenger wheel bearing going bad. Wheel bearing and hub assembly was replaced. Car is now quiet again...no more loud roaring noise. It did cost me, $530 total for the repair.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by shadowfox777
Got the car back of the dealer. It turned out to be the passenger wheel bearing going bad. Wheel bearing and hub assembly was replaced. Car is now quiet again...no more loud roaring noise. It did cost me, $530 total for the repair.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM

I'm really glad I found this thread. I brought my Max to a repair shop today and had to get some things done. So anyway after about a couple of hours I went back and went to get my Max and the shop manager wanted to talk to me. He told me that the right rear wheel hub was split. He jacked my car back up and showed me the split.... It looked horrible. All 5 lug-nuts were tightened and the wheel was mounted but it wobbled the minute he touched it. Needless to say, he told me that I needed a REAR WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLY because just the just the wheel bearing couldn't be changed. He called Nissan and they quoted him 850.00 and he told me if he did it he could do it for about 460.00. I told him I would try to find the part for cheaper and then get him to install. I went on Ebay and couldnt really find any for the 04 so I searched and came up with some items. I just needed to make sure that this is what I needed so I came on here to check with anyone who may know for sure that all I needed was the hub assembly (I'm assuming the sensor and bearing was included). My brake and ABS light still come on and make that noise for about 10 seconds everytime I start to drive and I hear this grinding on the back right wheel.

Sites I found the Right rear wheel hub assembly on:

http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/nis...-hub-assembly/

http://www.partsgeek.com/mparts/wheel_hub/nissan.html

Any help is appreciated and I need to know asap b/c I don't want to continue driving on that thing!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 AM

The parts aren't expensive. It's the labor involved to replace the wheel bearing. You basically need a press to get the assembly out and to put the new one back in. If he quoted you 460 total for everything. You might as well have your mechanic do it. Lower than what I paid (mine was the front passenger bearing).
Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM

So I just got Xima back from the shop. Had the hub assembly replaced with a brand new one. I got the part from Parts Geek for like 120 shipped and he only charged me 180.00 for labor so I was happy and it only took 2 hours. I was hoping that would get rid of that Brake and ABS light and make them go off, but that didnt help!!! They are still on. While the ride is incredibly smooth now, I still have that those darn lights coming on and that horrible noise that I hear after setting the car from reverse to drive. Is there a way I can clean the ABS sensors from the other wheels myself to see if it would fix that noise and turn the lights off?? That noise is really aggravating...

Update: After a couple of days, the wheel and seats and center console vibrate alot when I go 80 or over. It's weird because, those things start to vibrate and then stop for about 8 seconds then start to vibrate again. I went to Sears to get an alignment, Friday and the car is still pulling to the right... SERIOUSLY what can I do??

Last edited by Propa Teknique; 09-28-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Other Problems...
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Anyone can give advice????....
Old 09-30-2009, 12:07 AM

I have a 05 SL and having the same noise problems with the right passenger side . I thought it was the tires too but I rotated them recently and not only am I hear the roaring noise but the steering is shaking like crazy at 50-60 mph. I got a alignment not to long ago. The car is at 75k and seems like small issues all together total in huge cost for labor.

On top of that , I can't get out of park sometimes. It seems like the car doesn't know I have the brake pressed . Which is another issue all together. My car is still under extended warranty so hopefully this crap is covered
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is this a recurring problem with our cars because i've had to replace mine twice already and am going on a third time ? hate to bring this thread back from the dead but i can't start my on thread.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Houstonhulk
I bought used 06 almost a year ago with 36k on it. The dealer changed the front tires and kept the original Goodyears on the rear since they still had a good amount of thread left on them. First week I had the car I was getting this weird rumbling/humming noise that seems to be coming from the rear. Took it back and they test drove it and inspected it and said it was cupping of the tires. I plan on getting rid of the Goodyears to see if the noise goes away. They said it wasn't a bearing issue which I believe since I have dealt with those in the past and know what to look out for. I will update once I change the tires and see if the noise is gone.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem from the front driver side tire, i'm interested in knowing how this was resolved?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driving on a failed wheel bearing is a big gamble with not only your vehicle but with your life. If the wheels come off while you're driving you could end up seriously hurt or dead. Wheel bearing failure is a HUGE safety item. Don't put yourself or others at risk if you can avoid it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 AM

I have a 04 maxima and was wondering how do I inspect my bearings/hub ? I have noticed a loud noise at times when driving and the vibrating has increased.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Jack up your car and give the wheel a spin. If you hear a rumble, you bearing is shot.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by MiaRaider81
I have a 04 maxima and was wondering how do I inspect my bearings/hub ? I have noticed a loud noise at times when driving and the vibrating has increased.
Originally Posted by myownworld
Jack up your car and give the wheel a spin. If you hear a rumble, you bearing is shot.

That test can sometimes be deceiving, as you won't always hear a rumble if a bearing is failing. The best way that I've found to test the bearings is to do the load test.

Take a hard turn while going at a decent speed (within reason, obviously. ) If the noise gets louder or does not stop for that second while turning, then the bearing on the opposite side should be checked. So in other words, if you turn right (thereby loading the LH bearing) and the noise gets louder, check the LH bearing. If the noise stops when you turn right, check the RH bearing.

Last edited by CRiME; 05-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.