4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ebay Shocks/Struts? Yay or nay?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Ebay Shocks/Struts? Yay or nay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

Thinking about getting them but not sure about the quality.Anyone here have experience with those.I have contacted the seller to find out who makes them.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-D...#ht_3039wt_941

Havent had experience on those struts (your link) but thought Id throw out an option.

Are you dropped? If so maybe these are the ones for you (link). I was going to pair these with ksports but my plans changed since I got a good deal on coilovers. Anyways, there's a guy on here who's had a bad experience with their (dropzone) springs but the same can't be said about their struts. I doubt anyone here has given them a shot (searched and found nada).
No drops currently just trying to replace worn parts.

Here is the response from the seller about the manufacture.

Dear Customer,

SenSen is the brand of shocks/struts that we
carry. SenSen has been around since 1985. Their
background has traditionally been supplying the
racing industry with struts and shocks. This
requires a high quality product with tight
tolerances. In the past two years, SenSen has
elected to bring to the marketplace a shock/strut
line targeted at the mainstream marketplace. This
product is built with high quality and tight
tolerances like those of their traditional
business. I would encourage you to give us a try.
You will not be disappointed.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 PM

guys got great feedback, plus a warranty, plus youve got paypal protection.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 PM

i would go for them. i paid 130 for only rear shocks.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Try rockauto.com, they have good prices. I just got front Monroe struts from them for I think 50 or so a pop.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by illgiveyathetick
guys got great feedback, plus a warranty, plus youve got paypal protection.
that doesn't mean much. feedback is given within 30 days - way too fast for the things to go bad or even for the buyer to go about installing them - same with buyer protection.

your assurance is that this a brand name shock
Old 08-26-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by arkansasturbo
Try rockauto.com, they have good prices. I just got front Monroe struts from them for I think 50 or so a pop.
The monroes are 120+ on rockauto.

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
that doesn't mean much. feedback is given within 30 days - way too fast for the things to go bad or even for the buyer to go about installing them - same with buyer protection.

your assurance is that this a brand name shock
I agree and I've not seen a way to contact buyers on ebay unless your the seller.

I looked up the manufacture and they seem to be big in china but 125$ for 4 shocks still seems to go good to be true.I have not made my final choice yet.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

SenSen has been in business for a long time. They are huge and well known in China.
I don't think you'll have any issues with quality. They are also backed by a warranty just the same as most any other brands.

My only question is how will they ride, firm like KYB's, soft like Tokico's or somewhere in the middle like the SensaTracks.

If you do go the route of the SenSen product, please update us as to how they ride/perform.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
SenSen has been in business for a long time. They are huge and well known in China.
I don't think you'll have any issues with quality. They are also backed by a warranty just the same as most any other brands.

My only question is how will they ride, firm like KYB's, soft like Tokico's or somewhere in the middle like the SensaTracks.

If you do go the route of the SenSen product, please update us as to how they ride/perform.

Well I've been looking for reviews on the web for them but I have not found any I'm really thinking about going with them since I only drive maybe 2500 miles a year.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by augnon
...I only drive maybe 2500 miles a year.
Only 2500 miles a year?!? Lucky. You should use the money for the struts to just buy a cheap bicycle. That's less than 7 miles a day.

Kidding aside, you should go for that set on ebay. It would be a great value for your purposes.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Only 2500 miles a year?!? Lucky. You should use the money for the struts to just buy a cheap bicycle. That's less than 7 miles a day.

Kidding aside, you should go for that set on ebay. It would be a great value for your purposes.
I was back in houston a month ago and drive from Katy to Missouri city, that was almost 30 miles one way.I never realized how far that drive was on highway 6.

Up here we have the train and subway but I just use the car for getting food gym and when I had a job driving 7 miles to work.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 PM

idk, i wouldn't skimp on suspension, you'll notice everytime u drive
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM

ive got oem suspension for sale
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought a set of SENSEN struts three weeks ago for my '99 Maxima at www.apxautoparts.com. It looks like it might be the same seller.

I called them before before I did to learn more about them. They said that SENSEN has been making struts since the mid-80s and that they started in the racing industry so their tolerance levels were high as they used a lot of the technology from the racing division. Apparently they make OEM shocks for Volkswagen and Volvo's chinese factories. They are dual chamber gas shocks just like KYBs. I know that most Monroe shocks except for their high performance stuff is made in China so I figure what the heck.

They looked and felt like KYBs to me, the only difference were these were gray. As far as ride goes they are definitely on the stiffer side. I've felt KYBs in my dad's Buick but I wish I could compare with another Maxima. As of right now, I am very happy with the purchase. If I have any blow ups I'll be sure to update everyone.

Here is the link: http://apxautoparts.com/apx/1995-199...y-kit-757.html

For $150 with free shipping, you really can't beat that.

Let us know what you ended up going with.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tarheelio
I bought a set of SENSEN struts three weeks ago for my '99 Maxima at www.apxautoparts.com. It looks like it might be the same seller.

I called them before before I did to learn more about them. They said that SENSEN has been making struts since the mid-80s and that they started in the racing industry so their tolerance levels were high as they used a lot of the technology from the racing division. Apparently they make OEM shocks for Volkswagen and Volvo's chinese factories. They are dual chamber gas shocks just like KYBs. I know that most Monroe shocks except for their high performance stuff is made in China so I figure what the heck.

They looked and felt like KYBs to me, the only difference were these were gray. As far as ride goes they are definitely on the stiffer side. I've felt KYBs in my dad's Buick but I wish I could compare with another Maxima. As of right now, I am very happy with the purchase. If I have any blow ups I'll be sure to update everyone.

Well thank you for the information.I still have not purchased the shocks yet.I'm just waiting till I can afford to purchase the items.Welcome to 4gen maxima forums.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by augnon
Well thank you for the information.I still have not purchased the shocks yet.I'm just waiting till I can afford to purchase the items.Welcome to 4gen maxima forums.
If you do go this route I'm interested in how you like them too. This would be good for a really cheap alternative for someone on a budget.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 PM

if they turn out well after higher millage you should start a thread it will save alot of maxima owners money and have quality parts i may be purchasing thse to eventually if they get good feed back in the near future
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

6,000 miles later the SENSEN struts I bought from apxautoparts.com are still riding well.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM

did you do the install? how hard is this type of install, anyone know? or how would it be to take to get instaled. im thinking about replacing mine myself
Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM

^^ don't do it unless you've read enough info about the install. you will need to rent a spring compressor for this (so you won't get killed by loosening the center bolt off the strut mount). everything else is not hard. an alignment after that is a must.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Not to resurrect an old thread, but, I bought some of these from APX off of Ebay I think about 7 months ago and they are still working great. I had KYB on my 92 talon and these actually feel stiffer and more controlled. Just giving everybody a heads up. Perfect for people on a budget. I think I paid 80.00 shipped for the back
Old 07-08-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nissanserguy
Not to resurrect an old thread, but.....
You sure did !
Old 07-08-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nissanserguy
Not to resurrect an old thread, but, I bought some of these from APX off of Ebay I think about 7 months ago and they are still working great. I had KYB on my 92 talon and these actually feel stiffer and more controlled. Just giving everybody a heads up. Perfect for people on a budget. I think I paid 80.00 shipped for the back

Thats cool man. So u sayin they got a more sportier feel than KYBs? The link is broken so i cant look at the ebay advertisement any longer. What items come with the struts, any bearings or nut? Any instructions?

Anybody else try them?

Last edited by cashoit; 07-08-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Thats cool man. So u sayin they got a more sportier feel than KYBs? The link is broken so i cant look at the ebay advertisement any longer. What items come with the struts, any bearings or nut? Any instructions?

Anybody else try them?
Yeah, definitely. Handles really well in my opinion. It came with the struts and instructions. New center bolt as all. I bought new KYB strut bushings and OEM mounts
Old 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM

I also bought the complete set of four, and am very pleased with them...
Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 PM

you guys influenced my recent purchase on ebay hope their worth it just bought all 4 apx's and ksport springs
Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by NHMAX603
you guys influenced my recent purchase on ebay hope their worth it just bought all 4 apx's and ksport springs

My car has all original suspension, so I figured it would be best to just buy the quick strut and replace all the parts at once.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 PM

NAY
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by seedless619
NAY
Care to explain why you say nay? Just nay doesn't tell anyone anything. An personal experience? Just can't imagine why you would say nay with out no reason

Last edited by renots; 08-19-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by renots
Care to explain why you say nay? Just nay doesn't tell anyone anything. An personal experience? Just can't imagine why you would say nay with out no reason
they see me trolling...
Old 09-12-2011, 04:21 AM

Car rides alot better now. Had no idea my ride height was so low. Now for my core support rust issue.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by NHMAX603
I'm a brand new member, so if I'm out of line for resurrecting a thread, don't flame the hell out of me!! With that said, I just picked up a 95' Maxima, got some springs for it, but realized the struts are toasted! So...do I go with the $560 Tokico Illuminas or the $123? APX (Sensen)! I need to order something A.S.A.P.!!! Seeing that this was about a year ago some of you put these in, how are they holding up? I would greatly appreciate your responses. (by the way, will this forum alert me if you respond? If not, email me at mjwrea@hotmail.com) Thanks again!!

APX http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200-SHOCKS-...d412f7&vxp=mtr
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by OC95Max

I'm a brand new member, so if I'm out of line for resurrecting a thread, don't flame the hell out of me!! With that said, I just picked up a 95' Maxima, got some springs for it, but realized the struts are toasted! So...do I go with the $560 Tokico Illuminas or the $123? APX (Sensen)! I need to order something A.S.A.P.!!! Seeing that this was about a year ago some of you put these in, how are they holding up? I would greatly appreciate your responses. (by the way, will this forum alert me if you respond? If not, email me at mjwrea@hotmail.com) Thanks again!!

APX http://www.ebay.com/itm/1200-SHOCKS-...d412f7&vxp=mtr
I'd say get the illumina because you can adjust for how stiff or soft you want the shocks/struts.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:11 AM

i heard the same thing. there was a thread not too long ago about sensen's and there was someone on there with them trying to test how long they will last with tein s tech springs. i don't remember exactly but there were a couple thousand miles on the setup and the struts didn't blow yet.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM

bought KYB GR2s off ebay in ~2008 w/ 145k miles. 30k miles later and I'm pretty happy with them (low mileage due to buying another car).
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM

I put sensens in my car about 5,000 mi ago and the other day when i was installing my lowering springs i noticed the gas shock part (system that pushes the rod back out after its been pushed into the strut) was completely gone and i actualy had to use vice grips to pull the rod back out. only two were like that but idk, im 2 inches lower now so ill be expecting them to fail soon.

other than that no problems and i love the way they handle, the rides rough tho, even befor the lowering springs.

just a heads up to future buyers, i say its worth the money even if they only last two or three years.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by talisman311
bought KYB GR2s off ebay in ~2008 w/ 145k miles. 30k miles later and I'm pretty happy with them (low mileage due to buying another car).
this. got ours from rockauto. don't cheap out on your suspension, man.
don't get kyb strut mounts, though.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM

Nothing wrong with Sensen

You are caught up on a name. Yes some products are not great. However these are good struts and in fact for the average Joe who is not going to autocross these will be just fine. I have read alot alot of reviews they are a good product. The fact they dont mark them up is a bonus since it does not have the big monroe sticker. Considering I drive less than 10 k spread over four years I dont think Im to worried they should be just fine. Small town with the kid driving it around she will be just fine. 136 to the door free shipping from APX on presidents day. Guess what got here yesterday boooyah !
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by geissv
You are caught up on a name. Yes some products are not great. However these are good struts and in fact for the average Joe who is not going to autocross these will be just fine. I have read alot alot of reviews they are a good product. The fact they dont mark them up is a bonus since it does not have the big monroe sticker. Considering I drive less than 10 k spread over four years I dont think Im to worried they should be just fine. Small town with the kid driving it around she will be just fine. 136 to the door free shipping from APX on presidents day. Guess what got here yesterday boooyah !
How long did it take to receive the struts?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:08 AM

Im also thinking of buying struts off ebay! I like the green kind but I want the quick struts for the rear, although the ones without the springs and mounts seem very reasonable for all 4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay Shocks/Struts? Yay or nay?