4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bad EGR Temp Sensor symptoms?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Bad EGR Temp Sensor symptoms?

got a code for it i googled it earlier everyone said it was temp sensor but now im home and cant find where i wrote the code down at lol...but what are the symptoms of a bad egr temp sensor?

i had my entire top of engine apart and cleaned 5 months ago entire EGR system cleaned to perfection and two weeks ago i sea foamed engine twice cleaned EVERYTHING out and two days later started miss firing and rough idles and on every cold start it sounds like a damn big cammed v8 just cammin away and shaking a little u hit the gas and its QUICK to rev up then drops down to idle sounding like it wants to die but it dont...it runs RICH on cold starts also.

its 99 auto with 260k miles well maintained
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I don't think the egr temp sensor has anything to do with your issue.
If the code keeps coming back, replace it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Vacuum leak? Or fouled plugs?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM

code has been popping up few weeks now even after i clear it....what does the EGR temp sensor do?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Sounds like an injector going bad. I had problems with idle and changed/cleaned everything but it was one of the front three injectors that was bad. Literally a 5min fix to swap the front three injectors. The back three require removal of the UIM. The EGR shouldn't make the car run bad if I'm not mistaken. You'll just burn more fuel.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
code has been popping up few weeks now even after i clear it....what does the EGR temp sensor do?
It's used by the ECM to monitor the function of the EGR system. When the EGR valve opens and exhaust gas flows past the temperature sensor, it signals the ECM that the EGR valve is working. The sensor itself has no effect on driveability, it's used by the ECM for diagnosis only. If the sensor fails it won't cause the EGR valve to open at the wrong time or anything like that.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM

so dont even worry about the EGR temp sensor? it could be a injector problem but doubt it cause i run injector cleaner and only 93 octane shell v power fuel. i just put new fuel filter in too...in morning when it sounds like its a camming v8 i hit gas and she revs right up smoothly its when it idle back down its runs really rough and smells like gas strong then on its own it revs up to 1400rpm and then drops back down to idle and runs smooth the rest of the day other then random small miss fires that EVERY MAXIMA has shes runs perfect!