5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ontario emissions test failure

Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 AM

Ontario emissions test failure

Hey fellas, really in need of some help here. Last weekend my mothers car was smashed up by a drunk driver, she and and everybody else is ok, but her car is a write off. She is getting the run around from insurance companies and doesn't have the money to just go out and buy a new car. I'm currently not driving my max, due to some other issues with my lisence, so I offered my car for her to drive in the meantime so she can take her time and figure things out, and so she can actually get to work and what not.

We had to transfer the car into her name to insure it, which means an e-test and a certification need to be done. It's a good running car, lightly modded (sig is accurate) but I was sure it would pass both no problem.

When they took it for the e-test yesterday, surprisingly it came back as as a fail. I dont have the particulars on what parts of the test failed, but will in a half hour and will post them asap. My best guess as to why it failed, is the fact that it sat for the last two months with very little gas and despite what I told my dad he only put 20 bucks of mid grade in it. I said fill it with PREMIUM, at the highest octane you can get (he's cheap as hell), as its used to only petro Canada's ultra 94.

My next guess was obviously the gutted cats, but it still has a good stock main cat and stock system back from that. Also, another member here in town has cattman headers and a stock catback on his 02 and recently passed emissions no problem, which should be comparable to my set up.

Our next step is to fill it up with actual premium, add either seafoam or some other fuel system treatment, make sure it's good and warm and try again.
As I said, the only mods done are what's in my sig, and I will report back very soon with exactly what failed on the test. Anyone with experience in this pain in the *** department, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Brl24; 07-21-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Toolie

The problem with running no precats is it burns out the main cat faster. You can try running 1/4 tank of premium fuel and a few liters of ethanol. run the test and head straight to the station and fill up. Ethanol is sold in shoppers drug mart as rubbing alcohol, make sure you do not get isoproyl alcohol.

this is posted from an ontario org member

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ss-e-test.html
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 AM

what were the readings? check engine light?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
The problem with running no precats is it burns out the main cat faster. You can try running 1/4 tank of premium fuel and a few liters of ethanol. run the test and head straight to the station and fill up. Ethanol is sold in shoppers drug mart as rubbing alcohol, make sure you do not get isoproyl alcohol.

this is posted from an ontario org member

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...ss-e-test.html
Around here that alcohol you speak of is called denatured alcohol. You can buy it at any hardware store. Me and several people I knew back when we had emissions testing passed with it with no problem. E85 can also be used as well. All you have to do is run the tank close to empty and then put in a few gallons of the alcohol, or in your case, 10ish liters. After testing, fill with gas to dilute the alcohol or E85, whatever is used.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks Ray, I actually net you at a tmec meet last year, I showed up late with Nick I was the freakishly tall guy with a black se. Anyway, I will try what you said but am now wondering if maybe the main is worn out from running no pre's. thanks man

Sorry I didn't get the readings but will have them tomorrow, and there's no cel, I have an obd reader and it was good, even the emission check was good.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Another thing make sure you drive the car around let it heat up the cat and drive it like you stole it (hard and WOT). also since the battery was dead the car is probably relearning so it may be running rich. Drive it around few hours, heat up the cat and drop it off for etest. As long as it doesn't sit there it should pass.

Also use premium fuel with highest ethanol rating (this is one time I wouldn't use shell vpower 91) 94 from petro is loaded with ethanol so should be good and fill it right up to the top.

DO NOT ADD ANY ADDITIVES SUCH AS SEAFOAM!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Toolie

That only works if they test it right away. i swear in Ontario, you can drive the crap out of it they will take the car "around back" to the facility and let it sit for half an hour then test it.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Toolie

Originally Posted by Brl24
Thanks Ray, I actually net you at a tmec meet last year, I showed up late with Nick I was the freakishly tall guy with a black se. Anyway, I will try what you said but am now wondering if maybe the main is worn out from running no pre's. thanks man

Sorry I didn't get the readings but will have them tomorrow, and there's no cel, I have an obd reader and it was good, even the emission check was good.
I remember you. When I first put my headers on I failed emissions. i bought a new race cat from Cattman and passed no problem. Two years later I failed with that same cat. Bought a race cat from magnaflow and failed again. I'm on a conditional right now. Got new o2's and I am going to buy a full cat for next year. The 2-5 horsepower doesn't matter to me.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 AM

We had to transfer the car into her name to insure it, which means an e-test and a certification need to be done. It's a good running car, lightly modded (sig is accurate) but I was sure it would pass both no problem.
Huh? I think this is incorrect, here's my understanding of our rules that apply to this situation:

E-tests are not required for transfers within immediate family.

New E-Tests are not required for a transfer. You simply need a VALID e-test for any transfer

Also you'll probably be happy to hear that Etests are changing to a simple OBDII hook up, no sniffer, no dyno, as of the end of this year.
Your car is a 2002 which means it shouldn't be due till next year.

Special circumstances

Most used vehicles require a valid Drive Clean test pass when they are sold in order to transfer the ownership. There are two exceptions to this rule:
1.When a person is buying their car from a leasing company at the end of the lease
2.When vehicles are sold to immediate family members*. Immediate family members include the applicant’s:

•parent
----------------------------
Light-duty vehicle owners do not need to have their vehicle tested more than one time in a two-year period for registration renewal. This means a test done when a car is sold or brought into the province can be used to renew its license at any point in the next calendar year.
Source: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...OD_075674.html

Tax exemption

You do not have to pay retail sales tax if:
•You receive a vehicle as a gift from a close family member, such as:
•Spouse
•Parent or step-parent
•Son or step-son
Source:http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...cle/used.shtml
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 AM

Thanks for everyone's advice, I will be trying again soon, making sure its hot and has only ultra 94 in it for at least a full tank. We literally pulled it out of my garage put what I thought was premium in it, boosted it and drove it maybe ten minutes to the shop for the test, where it then sat for a half hour until it was tested. We were in quite a rush, it's fairly obvious why it failed now.

Tuner, I phrased that wrong, when I was driving it I had it in a friends name for insurance reasons. So we transferred it into my moms name for her to drive, since when I take possession of the car it can be gifted to me. Unfortunatly we had to pay sales tax, and it needs a cert/e-test now to get the sticker.

Last edited by Brl24; 07-23-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Toolie

Cool, how is the odb2 method going to work?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM

Tuner, I phrased that wrong, when I was driving it I had it in a friends name for insurance reasons. So we transferred it into my moms name for her to drive, since when I take possession of the car it can be gifted to me. Unfortunatly we had to pay sales tax, and it needs a cert/e-test now to get the sticker.
Ah ok that makes more sense. The etest still only has to be done if it's due in the year you transfer it. If it was done in the year previous you're GTG.
Ewither way you should be able to get it to pass with the listed methods, just bring it in during the day during the week so you can get it in right away after a hot highway run.

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Cool, how is the odb2 method going to work?
I wish I knew more, I'm guessing just a simple O2 monitoring and checking for codes. Perhaps still doing a visual inspection (not that any places ACTUALLY do that now)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Ah ok that makes more sense. The etest still only has to be done if it's due in the year you transfer it. If it was done in the year previous you're GTG.
Ewither way you should be able to get it to pass with the listed methods, just bring it in during the day during the week so you can get it in right away after a hot highway run.

I wish I knew more, I'm guessing just a simple O2 monitoring and checking for codes. Perhaps still doing a visual inspection (not that any places ACTUALLY do that now)
If it's the same E-Test as in the US all they do is look for an engine light. If it's off they plug in an 'official' reader to be sure the OBDII/CAN systems are active. I passed & have been getting intermittent O2 sensor codes since I bought the car.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:28 PM

NYS I scraped mine off the windshield carefully and gave it to my dad then I got my car inspected again...
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Everything has been said, just make sure you drive the car for 30 minutes, it needs to heat up and bake out any contaminants that are making you fail, I would suggest changing the oil, I have seen that a bunch of times