7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Maxima vs. G37 vs. '13 Altima...HELP!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Maxima vs. G37 vs. '13 Altima...HELP!

Hey fellas,

I am considering buying a new car and am in a pickle among these 3 cars:

'12 Infiniti G37 Sedan Journey Premium and Navigation Packages
'12 Nissan Maxima Premium + Tech Packages
'13 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL - fully loaded

I have driven driven the Infiniti a few times and absolutely loved the way it drives; I have also driven the Maxima and loved it as well. I am stuck between these two b/c Infiniti is RWD while the Maxima is FWD. However, I like all of the features the premium packages the Maxima has to offer (dual panel sunroof, power rear sunshade, cooled drivers seat, auto-dimming drivers side view mirror etc.) - Any suggestions/thoughts?

I have not driven the new Altima, however have heard/read/watched many videos and it seems very impressive.

Your input is very much appreciated, Thank You!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM

if you can, wait a year or maybe even two...the Max will be 8th gen for 2014 (available around 12-15 months from now), and it will blow the altima away...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM

That's not a bad idea. I was looking to buy around next March, but I guess I can wait a few more months for the 2014 next summer. Do you know for sure 2014 will be 8th gen?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:48 PM

For SURE? No. But it is HIGHLY HIGHLY likely. Each gen after 3rd lasts 5 years (95-99, 00-03, 04-08, 09-...), 3rd gen was 89-94, so 6 years...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM

New g sedan late 2013. Completely redesigned.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 PM

^ id say go with the G depending on what the new one looks like
Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 PM

4th gen G came out with the 2007 yr model right? So from 07-'12 its already had 6 yrs, shouldn't the 2013 model be redesigned? I am being very hopeful
Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 PM

Also, I drove a Maxima SV for a the whole day yesterday as a loaner vehicle. When I connected my iphone via a usb cable, I realized that I had to scroll and scroll to get to the songs at the bottom of the playlist; is there a easier way to maybe search for a certain song, or scroll down? Perhaps on the tech package?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by harsh2888
4th gen G came out with the 2007 yr model right? So from 07-'12 its already had 6 yrs, shouldn't the 2013 model be redesigned? I am being very hopeful
4th gen G, G is only in 2nd Generation, Altima is on 5th Gen, I would say ig you wait for the redesigned G expect to pay way more, Infiniti is raising the bar, but expect to pay for the new newness

2012 Maxima Premium+Tech: awesome car, gets up and goes and will look good even when the redesigned Maxima goes out, can't beat the looks, handling sleeper image and bang for the buck the Maxima offers

2012 G37: similar to Max but has a snugger feel, way punchier and more power, great buy but next gen will probably increase in price, Infiniti is going after the 3series directly, gonna have to wait and see

2013 Altima V6 Loaded: if this is the car you want get in line, each dealer only gets so many V6 models in and they usually sell out mid way through the model year, and Nissan wants to outsell the Camry so get use to seeing this car everywhere

I have an 09 Maxima and would upgrade to a 2012 Maxima
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM

get a used max, the new altima still looks like a midsized car.

the g37 is a overpriced, "brand name" girls car.

the max is just ***** out.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 AM

Get an Altima if you wanna be like everyone else on the Road
Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 AM

I would go with the GTR. "its a bit small to get laid in, but you get laid the moment you get out"

quote from crazy people

apologies to those I offend.....
Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Gram Lights addict

used low milage g37s sedan 6spd
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM

noone knows what the new Maxima is going to look like, let alone what kind of features the car will have. Waiting for it may be a pretty big gamble. Additionally, steering clear of the first generation of a new vehicle usually is a good idea as well. Gives them a year to iron out all the kinks and correct the early adopter mistakes.

The altima...Well...If you don't mind driving the same car as everyone else out there, its nice. The big change with the altima really occurred in the 2.5l 4 banger version, which gets a class leading 38 mpg, which is the big selling point for it. I drove a 2002 3.5 fully loaded Altima until it got totalled and I replaced it with my new maxima. Loved the car, hated the fact that everyone has one. In my parking lot at my job there is 8 other altimas, which is the main reason I didn't want another.

G37 is sexy and as far as I know, any amenity that you would find in a fully loaded maxima, you'll find in the G37 as well (I could be wrong on that though). If I were to get a G, it would be a coupe, but that's just me.

Last edited by MaxDoogie; 06-27-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Info on 8th gen in middle of article, it is still a couple model years away

http://www.caradvice.com.au/170655/n...ma-takes-over/

The US to get an all-new version of its Maxima in 2014/2015. The current seventh-generation Maxima sold in North America is based on the same platform as the Teana, but is styled and engineered differently to suit the market.

The eighth-generation US Maxima will share its platform with the new Altima and will have similar proportions, but Nakamura says its performance “has to be much better” than the Altima. He said the design of the car was still to be finalised, and suggested it could have a wider track for a sportier stance.

Nakamura did not rule out the possibility of a right-hand-drive version of the new US Maxima, although it appears unlikely to head to Australia, with the car destined for only a handful of markets outside the US.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Here's hoping that the Maxima is next in line after the unveiling of the new Sentra, which should happen some time in July.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Without a doubt, if you have the money, go for the G!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:13 PM

^ Maxima = Greatest car of all time. All time.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM

If you care about going faster and having fun drifting take G37...
If you care about comfort and going fairly fast take the Maxima...
If you don't care about speed nor comfort buy an altima...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM

get a Max
Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Timmy
If you care about going faster and having fun drifting take G37...
If you care about comfort and going fairly fast take the Maxima...
If you don't care about speed nor comfort buy an altima...
Something like this. I think it depends on how your drive and how you feel connected to the car and road.

I think all the "fancy" stuff the Altima has will trickle up to the Max and G.

I think you have to figure out if you want:
- a large comfortable family cruiser.
- a mid-size sedan
- a sports sedan

Those post above who said the G is for "sissies" (paraphrasing a bit) is ignoring the fact CR said the G37 is the best sports in it's class. And if it's your bent, you get the luxury service to go along with it. In case anybody I spent $41 in one year of maintenance on the G. (Of course, according to the poster above I did overpay to begin with. )

Last edited by G37guy01; 07-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM

MONTE's reference is correct. The 6th generation Maxima will not arrive until spring of 2014 as the 2015 model. That will be around 22 months from now. As their 'bread and butter' car, Nissan had to give the Altima an update. But the Maxima is a more 'optional' purchase.

Nissan has no reason to bring out the 8th gen Maxima any earlier than that. We are still trying to claw our way out of what is by FAR the worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s. Unemployment is still well above normal, and businesses and governments are continuing to lay off employees by the thousands.

States are running out of money to meet unemployment demands, and are cutting the amounts they can pay. Most unemployed folks have now expended all their life savings, and have nowhere to turn. And we are nowhere near finished with this recession.

Those counting on a change in the White House this fall to bring us out of this recession need to understand that is just normal political talk. There is very little any president can do to speed up this recovery. It was caused by many years of irrational exhuberance by consumers, insane lending policies by financial institutions and decades of sending U.S. jobs overseas. Don't count on significant progress for several more years.

I personally feel the spring 0f 2014 release of the 8th gen Maxima will be very good timing by Nissan, as that is about the time I expect folks to begin feeling optimistic about the future again. Some here may remember I was saying back when I bought my '09 Maxima in January of '09 that I didn't see any way this recession could ease before 2014 or 2015. Nissan is seeing this the same as I do. And the recovery won't even be complete by 2020, because millions of jobs that were lost will never be coming back.

As per the references by Monte, the 8th gen Nissan will be handled just as the 7th gen: Start with the Altima chassi, and replace key components with parts from the M45. As Monte also mentioned, Nissan is considering widening the 8th gen Maxima's stance even further, which should give it great lateral stability and very quick and flat turning charactreristics. We may end up with a 4DSC after all.

We are around one year from the beginning of really serious rumors of what the 8th gen will be like. That nine or so months from next July until the spring of 2014 will be filled with much talk, supposition and hopeful anticipation. That is always a fun time. I have my money already sitting in the bank awaiting the 8th gen Maxima, and am sure it will be worth whatever wait may be required.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 07-01-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Everyone has provided great input, thanks for that.
I have driven the maxima and the g37 a few times for a short period of time. But has anyone driven both to really explain the difference? I know the g accelarates quicker than the max. I have never driven the V6 altima, but the dealer said it accelarates qucker than the max due to being lighter..any thoughts on that? Also, is there a big noticable difference in handeling and cornering between the fwd max vs the rwd g37?
Thanks guys
Old 07-02-2012, 02:33 PM

IMO get the Maxima. Best all around car for the money. My sister had a 2005 & has a 2007 G35X and car is fast but way to uncomfortable for me and way too cramped. As for the Altima, sorry but Altimas are used as NYC taxi cabs and I'll be dammed if I drive a taxi cab.
This is the 3rd Maxima (2012 SV) and it is still a lot of car for the money imo. Has the best of everything. Has the room,comfort,and power I want for a reasonable price. I just got rid of my 2010 Acura TL for the Maxima and I'm not disappointed at all.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jspagna
IMO get the Maxima. Best all around car for the money. My sister had a 2005 & has a 2007 G35X and car is fast but way to uncomfortable for me and way too cramped. As for the Altima, sorry but Altimas are used as NYC taxi cabs and I'll be dammed if I drive a taxi cab.
I agree with everything you have said about the max, however I will respectfully disagree with you about the Altima. While I understand you may have seen them used as NYC taxi cabs, it says nothing about the car it is. Hell I have seen BMW and Mercedes taxi cabs, does that mean anything?
Also for everyone who reasons to not go with the Altima because everyone has it, that is not a issue for me. Idc if it is very common, I want a car that I am comfortable in and am happy with, regardless of who else drives it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:05 PM

While I was picking up my 2012 Maxima last Thursday the dealer was having an open house that night introducing the 2013 Altima. They had a base model and a 3.5 SL? loaded. It looked like a very nice car. For the money you can't go wrong and you also get a lot of car for the money.
I just always preferred the Maxima. I also never buy the first year of a redesign. So I would wait for the 2014.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM

You have to take a the altima off your list. Maybe if you get it now you will stand out for 2 months but after than every female will get that model. If you a BOSS get the maxima. If you wanna be fancy looking all the time get the G. I don't like the G only because it's fancy looking I only like the interior better than the max mainly because it comes in all black the maxima is always 2 toned w beige.. How can you even be considering buy a G and a Altima?....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM

You asked about the diffference in handling between the g37 and the Maxima.

Using rear wheel drive (RWD), the G37 would be preferred by those who like a real sporty edge to their car, or are into sports such as 'drifting.' RWD brings back memories for those who drove muscle cars between the 1950s and the 1980s.

I lived through the RWD era (owned my first car in 1949), and enjoyed RWD for over 35 years). But when the 1985 Maxima came out as a front wheel drive car (the '81 thru '84 Maximas were RWD), I decided to give FWD a try, so bought two '85 Maximas (wife and I).

After several years of driving those FWD Maximas, I decided I liked FWD better than RWD. Almost two-thirds of the weight of the Maxima is on the front tires, so having the tires with the most weight on them receiving the power from the motor means they will grip better, and tend to accelerate and make turns better than RWD on bad roads or in inclement weather, especially on ice.

I also like the feel of FWD better than RWD on curvy mountain roads. RWD seems to be PUSHING the car, with a slight tendency for the front end to plow straight ahead instead of turning. But with FWD, the tires are PULLING the car in the direction I am trying to turn, with almost no tendency to 'push' (keep going straight).

A lot depends on how you will be using the car. If your primary use is as a sporty sedan, and you will sometimes be driving it like a 'muscle' car, you might like RWD better. If your primary use is as transportation, especially as a family sedan, you should be thinking FWD.

---

As to the Altima, that depends on your state of mind. I am not an Altima person, because I desire individuality in my car. I have never looked twice at an Altima. If I were a bank robber, the Altima would be the perfect get-away car, because there are umpteen million Altimas on the road. My wife, however, is a 'best buy for the money' sort of person who would choose the Altima. The Altima is Consumer Reports 'best family sedan in class' vehicle.

The best thing here is that you have three excellent vehicles on your short list. You can't go very wrong with any of the three. I would strongly suggest driving all three before making your decision.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM

1) G37
2) Gamble your time and wait for the 8th gen Max
3) 2013 Altima
Old 07-03-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by harsh2888
Everyone has provided great input, thanks for that.
I have driven the maxima and the g37 a few times for a short period of time. But has anyone driven both to really explain the difference? I know the g accelarates quicker than the max. I have never driven the V6 altima, but the dealer said it accelarates qucker than the max due to being lighter..any thoughts on that? Also, is there a big noticable difference in handeling and cornering between the fwd max vs the rwd g37?
Thanks guys
Explaining the difference in handling between those cars is like explaining the difference in taste between a porterhouse and a ny strip steak.

The G will allow you to drive the car much harder than you can the Maxima. If you don't care about a "sports car" like handling and the amenities the Max has to offer, entices you, you should go for the Max. I do not think you will be disappointed.

On what the dealer said about acceleration, they might be right, but no matter how they slice it, the Altima is a mid-size sedan whose primary competition is Accord and Camry.

The Max is an upscale, large, sporty sedan, that completes with the TL FWD and a few other models.

The G37 is an entry level sports sedan that competes with the 3 series, TL AWD, CTS and a few others.

In addition, if you are in snow country, I would get the G37x.

From you posted, I would get the Max and not look back.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM

I'd wait, especially since you said you're not looking to get into anything until next March. Wait until the new Max and new G are out and if you don't like the styling on either and would prefer the previous generation, there will be deals galore from Nissan/Infiniti trying to clear out older stock to make room for the new.

I've had my 2010 for a year now and still loving it. I won't be looking for anything anytime soon.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by T200
I'd wait, especially since you said you're not looking to get into anything until next March. Wait until the new Max and new G are out and if you don't like the styling on either and would prefer the previous generation, there will be deals galore from Nissan/Infiniti trying to clear out older stock to make room for the new.

I've had my 2010 for a year now and still loving it. I won't be looking for anything anytime soon.
But do be aware the 8th gen Maxima will not arrive until spring or early summer of 2014 as the 2015 model year. That is almost TWO years away. Other than that point, I must agree with everything you said.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Can't say about the G, but I recently decided on an '11 Maxima SV premium over a '13 Altiima SL loaded. Didn't want to be driving the same thing as everyone else on the road, and there are a LOT of Altima's out there. Loved the feel of the Maxima, even 15K miles used. I drove the '13 Altima, it was nice, I liked the zero-gravity seats. That's the only thing the Max was missing, and when it came down to it I just liked the Maxima feel better!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Since this is a Maxima forum, i'm going to say get a Maxima.

The three cars you're choosing from are quite different in their own ways. Get what you like, or just hold out for the new Altima, or the (hopefully) new Maxima, whenever they decide to release it.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
Can't say about the G, but I recently decided on an '11 Maxima SV premium over a '13 Altiima SL loaded. Didn't want to be driving the same thing as everyone else on the road, and there are a LOT of Altima's out there. Loved the feel of the Maxima, even 15K miles used. I drove the '13 Altima, it was nice, I liked the zero-gravity seats. That's the only thing the Max was missing, and when it came down to it I just liked the Maxima feel better!
Betcha dollars to doughnuts that when the new Max comes out, it will have everything the new Alti has (including the zero-gravity seats) as well as options that it doesn't have. There's no way Nissan is going to allow its flagship vehicle to be upstaged by a lesser one.

Nissan has two years to come up with some pretty cool stuff to put in the Max.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by jspagna
This is the 3rd Maxima (2012 SV) and it is still a lot of car for the money imo. Has the best of everything. Has the room,comfort,and power I want for a reasonable price. I just got rid of my 2010 Acura TL for the Maxima and I'm not disappointed at all.

Many European taxis are Mercedes E-classes. When I owned an E430, I'd get a little perturbed when I walked out of the airport and got in a yellow E-class to take me to my hotel. But those had cloth seats, no extra features, and small engines. But still, the pricing structure has to be pretty different.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM

You're in a Maxima Forum asking which car you should get..Obviously Most are going to say the Maxima. I say wait for the 8th Generation.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaGuido09c
You're in a Maxima Forum asking which car you should get..Obviously Most are going to say the Maxima. I say wait for the 8th Generation.
+1 to that
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PSU09MAXIMA
+1 to that
Hey man, I forgot to tell you I got rid of my facebook. I'll send you a friend request on this site.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

Somewhat off topic; I am in a similar dilemma because my lease is almost up on my 2009 Maxima. I am considering the G37 AWD coupe after test driving; although I love my Max I think its time to move on to something a little different but still similar in features. Now I have 20" wheels on my Max and I was wondering if I do choose to get the G37, would it be a proper swap, with little issue?

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maxima vs. G37 vs. '13 Altima...HELP!