5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to FIX your DRL

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM

How to FIX your DRL

I searched on this DRL(daytime running light) fix and couldn't find any "how to" except people's comments. Maxima.org has given me a lot of help, so here is my first contribution to the site and decided to do a how to on this problem.

This may apply to Canadian max only, I'm not sure about the States.

You need this fix if you want to pass safety inspection, only need it when you want to sell your max.

Symtoms on your car:

1. Either high beam is out when used.
2. Daytime Running Light is not working.
3. Fuses and bulbs looks good.

All 3 checked? Let's get down to business.

1. Locate your DRL module(right where my 10mm socket is)

2. Get your 10mm socket.

3. Pop your headlight assembly out(hope you don't need instructions on that), I find it easier with it popped out.

4. Undo the 10mm bolts(2 of them) with extension that's holding the DRL module bracket.

5. Unhook the 3 connectors at the bottom and whala, it's out.

6. This step needs patient, there's no buttons to press to get the module out of its casing, you gotta pry all 4 self-locking taps away from the casing.

when you get it right, it'd just pop out, well you gotta pull it a bit too.

sorry this pic is kinda out of focus but you get an idea.

there's only one way it goes back in, so be careful when you put it back together.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM

here's what it looks like....

The front

The back, here is where you will find the trouble.

Mine was the 3rd and 7th solder in the first row. you see it?

7. Now you can get the trouble spots re-solder, if you know how to solder, you can do it yourself, if you dont, get someone who does. I had an idea after watching youtube on how to do it, but i didn't want to mess it up so i got someone to do it for me.

Here it is when done, nice and round...

8. Reverse the steps when put it back together.

Note: Before you bolt everything up, test your DRL and high beam fucntion!

For those who have done it, if i missed anything feel free to jump in.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Nice write-up! Will definitely try this out this weekend. Thanks!

Curious what your symptom was? Mine is the first one; passenger side high beam has a mind of its own. Sometimes it'll come on but most times it doesn't.

BTW, I'm enjoying the hood deflector you sold me.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 AM

In my case, I have tried 3 different DRL modules, and my problem is still there. Right low beam is dimmer then the left. Im thinking my problem is in the wiring thats going into the DRL module? Something loose or worn out.

And yea, its not the bulb.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Friggin canuck Maxima's. Thanks for the write up though.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 03blackSE
Nice write-up! Will definitely try this out this weekend. Thanks!

Curious what your symptom was? Mine is the first one; passenger side high beam has a mind of its own. Sometimes it'll come on but most times it doesn't.

BTW, I'm enjoying the hood deflector you sold me.
maybe your solder joint on the module is bouncing.

my symtoms were:

1. No DRL at all
2. when high beam is used, only driver side came on.

i think different broken solder joints come with different symtoms...

glad u like the hood deflector.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 AM

Maxximaa,

I recently had the exact symptoms as you. It turned out that the socket for the 9005 hi beam bulb of the passenger side was making a bad connection with the bulb. I used a small screwdriver to squeeze the prongs a bit, making a better contact with the bulb. I will look for a new socket.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My symptom was the low beam and day time running light on the drivers side was not working ... I resoldered all the main connectors on the DRM and it worked great.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM

My question is since when did our max's have DRL? I got mine about 3 months ago and I've never seen my DRL's come on, I swapped out the high beam bulbs for HIDs about a month ago anyway.

Edit: Read the canadian part.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 AM

If ever we want to cancel the DRL, would it be possible to stop at step 5?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by afrofranzy
If ever we want to cancel the DRL, would it be possible to stop at step 5?

there is a good chance even the regular lights would not work. All the front light relays and controls go through that module.

Last edited by twiggy144; 06-21-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:04 PM

Very helpful posts! I have been having headlight low beam issues on my car (DTRL Canadian 2000 Maxima SE with 150,000km) for a few months now. My driver's side low beam wouldn't work while everything else works without any issues. I tried swapping out the bulbs from left to right, cleaning the connectors, and even taking out the lighting switch to clean.

Then I did the steps above. I resoldered the 1st and Last solder points on the first row because they look weak. The low beam is fixed now. I also resoldered any solder points that looked weak. The process took 30min. The hardest part was to slide out the circuit board out of the plastic case. I managed to damage the case slightly, but I glued it back together with super glue and reinforce it with electrical tape. That's still better than spending $300 on a new DTRL module.

By the way, I didn't have to remove the headlights. I didn't even use a rachet or wrench. I simply pulled the windshield fluid filler neck out, and slid the DTRL module box downward OUT of its bracket. No removing the headlight or 10mm sockets required!
Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Nice Write Up!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by LoveSick

By the way, I didn't have to remove the headlights. I didn't even use a rachet or wrench. I simply pulled the windshield fluid filler neck out, and slid the DTRL module box downward OUT of its bracket. No removing the headlight or 10mm sockets required!
theres always another way of doing things i guess. i did not know that the filler neck could come off.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Nice Write Up!!
thank you
Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Nice Write Up!!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM

What year(s) have DRL? I have an 03 and I don't believe I have DRL?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by tokomoto
What year(s) have DRL? I have an 03 and I don't believe I have DRL?

do you have a US car ? 2003 US Maximas dont have DRL's
Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you Maxximaa

I just repaired the the passenger side no low beam light on my 2001 Maxima, following your instructions. Thanks a million.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Great write-up!

I had the exact same problem (even down to the same faulty connection) on my new-to-me 02 SE. Quick, cheap and easy fixes with pictures and good instructions are like gold!

Suffice it to say I don't know that I would have figured this out by myself.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:06 PM

you're welcome.

i'm glad to see this thread is helping people out.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a DRL problem on my Canadian 1997 Maxima. My right DRL works but the left DRL didn’t work. All lights work with the light switches. My DRL control module is black and is mounted between the right headlight and the radiator overflow tank. This tank can be lifted off its bracket allowing better access to the DRL module which slides aft off of its bracket. It takes a bit of pushing and jiggling. If it won’t come off, remove the 2 bolts that hold the bracket. Remove the 2 electrical sockets off the bottom. The circuit board slides out of the black plastic box. You must spread the bottom of the box to release the 4 tabs that hold it in. My box broke at the tabs when I pried it apart but not a big problem. Later, tape the tabs back together.
Look closely at all of the soldering points on the back of the circuit board. Look for any associated discoloration. Mine had only one bad solder point. It was near the middle of the board. A fine pointed soldering iron is best for resoldering. I tried a gun but the tip was too big. I have pictures available.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello guys,
I just bought a 2001 maxima GXE in Canada.
I noticed that the DRL is not working. All other lights work. The high beams and the low beams are working fine. It's just that when I start the car, the headlights are not coming up.
The symtoms are a little different than some commons ones mentionned here...(like some mentionned one of the lights on one side not working at the same time as the DRL not working).

I had some question.

Does the DRL only come on following a certian procedure, like lowering the handbrake, or shifting the car into drive?

Until then I'm just using the low beams as DRL; is that ok, legal? The brake lights also come on...

Also, what is the default DRL on this car? The high beams or the turn signal light? Jus want to be sure.

Can you use fog lights as DRL? Or can you use any other lights installed in the front as DRL, lets say I stall 2 small strips of LEDs on both sides of the bumper, can that eb considered DRL?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by rimi; 06-02-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Im in Canada
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 PM

DRLs come on after you release the handbrake...

The main high beam bulbs are used for the DRLs, just at a lower output.

I used my low beams for DRLs while I was trying to fix things... don't know that it is legal, can't see why it wouldn't be though.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lochnivar
DRLs come on after you release the handbrake...

The main high beam bulbs are used for the DRLs, just at a lower output.

I used my low beams for DRLs while I was trying to fix things... don't know that it is legal, can't see why it wouldn't be though.
Thanks for the reply.
No luck, the DRL doesn't work.

I want to inspect the DRL module (the module already has tape on it, maybe the previous owner messed around with it) but before that, is there anything I should check before?

Is there's any fuses (which one?) or anything else I need check before I mess around with the DRL module?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rimi
Thanks for the reply.
No luck, the DRL doesn't work.

I want to inspect the DRL module (the module already has tape on it, maybe the previous owner messed around with it) but before that, is there anything I should check before?

Is there's any fuses (which one?) or anything else I need check before I mess around with the DRL module?

Thanks guys.
Since your high beams and work just fine I don't think there is anything outside the DRL module that needs checking.

The instructions at the top of this thread are great for getting it open (something of a PITA task) and it would probably be good to give it a look over for any obvious flaws.

Beyond that you'll need the help of someone smarter and more knowledgeable than me.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello guys,
I just wanted to report back that the DRL is now working. What I was doing wrong was that I was releasing the hand brake AFTER starting the engine...lol that's what I was taught in driving school...

Anyways, I read the service manual, found out that I had to release it before starting the engine or else the DRL won't come on (it was clearly stated that it wouldn't if the handbrake was released after the engine started). I then ran outside to check it and came back happy!
Now I can focus on some mods...

Last edited by rimi; 06-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Solved

Thank you very much for a great write up maxximaa! This worked on my '06 Altima.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No Photos

Thx for the thread Maximaa, but for some reason the pics are not showing! Other pics in this thread are visible but not in the first post?
I have a 2001 SE, right-side lights(high and low) and drl not working.
Switched over bulbs, fuses and relays..........problems still there! Sounds like the drl, but it would be nice to see the pics.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys,
Now ive done everything in this thread to try and make my drl work properly. I took apart the module and re-soldered connections, but still no luck. the previous owner had put some ebay halos and cut the factory connectors for some reason. i put in new connectors attached to the right wires but still no luck. The way my lights work is all 4 beams come on a drl, but at a dim state. 3 out of the 4 work (drivers side high beam doesnt turn on). When my lights are on only the passenger low beam works, and only the drivers side high beam works, both fog lights work tho. Anybody kno where i can pick up a cheap drl module? Thx
Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by crippler3
Thx for the thread Maximaa, but for some reason the pics are not showing! Other pics in this thread are visible but not in the first post?
I have a 2001 SE, right-side lights(high and low) and drl not working.
Switched over bulbs, fuses and relays..........problems still there! Sounds like the drl, but it would be nice to see the pics.

Thanks
Only picture you really need shows the DRL module location. It's really easy to spot though its on the inner fender just behind the right headlight. Inbetween the fender and the windsheild washer spout, by the coolant reservoir. About 6"x6"x3/4" If I recall correctly.

The other one shows the inside of the module. Basically it's a plastic casing, the guy removed the plastic casing and there's a circuit board inside. The terminals on the end are known to corrode/cold solder, and just need to be cleaned and re-soldered. Once you pop it apart and inspect it things will be clear. No need to remove your headlight. You can just turn the washer spout 90 degrees and it comes off, then you should be able to access the mounting bolts for the DRL module.

Originally Posted by maxi3
Hey guys,
Now ive done everything in this thread to try and make my drl work properly. I took apart the module and re-soldered connections, but still no luck. the previous owner had put some ebay halos and cut the factory connectors for some reason. i put in new connectors attached to the right wires but still no luck. The way my lights work is all 4 beams come on a drl, but at a dim state. 3 out of the 4 work (drivers side high beam doesnt turn on). When my lights are on only the passenger low beam works, and only the drivers side high beam works, both fog lights work tho. Anybody kno where i can pick up a cheap drl module? Thx
1 - You soldered something wrong, soldered something together that wasn't supposed to be, or otherwise damaged the Circuit board and 'shorted' somthing

OR

2 - the wiring is wrong to the headlights.

This does NOT sound like a faulty DRL module. Someone's been in there screwing around and probably grounded the high beams to the chassis.

Check where the grounds from the highbeam harnesses go and post back.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the grounds on the headlight are still connected to the factory harness. technically the harness is back to the way it should be. is it maybe the switch? im not to familiar with the lighting system in this car yet so i dont kno how it exactly works yet.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 AM

technically the harness is back to the way it should be..
im not to familiar with the lighting system in this car yet so i dont kno how it exactly works yet
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what i meant was, i dont know how the drl module handles the voltages as far as distributing the right amount of power towards the headlights. For example, all four (high beam and low beam) should come on during the day at a dim state, but only 3 out of the 4 do (drivers side high beam doesnt), so i dont understand that if its wired properly (i followed a schematic, i know how to wire) and not working properly then it must be the drl module am i correct?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

what i meant was, i dont know how the drl module handles the voltages as far as distributing the right amount of power towards the headlights. For example, all four (high beam and low beam) should come on during the day at a dim state, but only 3 out of the 4 do (drivers side high beam doesnt), so i dont understand that if its wired properly (i followed a schematic, i know how to wire) and not working properly then it must be the drl module am i correct?
Clearly you don't know how they work at all so I'll help you out. And if you REALLY knew how to follow a scematic you'd know that they were not working properly.

The DRL's on this car use the HIGH BEAM's, NOTHING ELSE.

Low beam is NOT used.

The way they acheive this is by turning the high beam lamps normally Parallell circuit into a series circuit. This means the power flows:

+ into right HIGH BEAM filament, OUT the - terminal and over to the + terminal on the left HIGH BEAM filament, then out to chassis ground.

This causes the applied voltage to the headlights to be cut in half.

Again, SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR WIRING> Please don't feel insulted by this post, I just want to help you fix your problem, and part of your problem is you thinking that you did the wiring correctly. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but you'll get there.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

okay here lies the confusion. my aftermarket headlights have two seperate bulbs in each. NOT A SIGNLE BULB WITH TWO FILAMENTS (which is what factory has i believe, correct me if im wrong cause thats just a guess). Now ive triple checked my wiring, its correct, i know how to wire, its what i do for a living, i can read schematics, i just didnt know how the circuitry in the drl module worked. I said early one low beam works, and one high beam works, both in opposite headlights. Is this not the module and/or the switch? should i post pictures for better understanding?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:26 PM

okay here lies the confusion. my aftermarket headlights have two seperate bulbs in each. NOT A SIGNLE BULB WITH TWO FILAMENTS (which is what factory has i believe, correct me if im wrong cause thats just a guess). Now ive triple checked my wiring, its correct, i know how to wire, its what i do for a living, i can read schematics, i just didnt know how the circuitry in the drl module worked. I said early one low beam works, and one high beam works, both in opposite headlights. Is this not the module and/or the switch? should i post pictures for better understanding?
My apologies, I did miss the part about Ebay lights.

Clearly this does change things. From my knowledge of these lights, everything is plug and play. If they got the garbage ones that look like this though, obviously not:

I have to say it, would you ACTUALLY buy something like this after seeing this picture? My dear god. (not speaking to you directly I know you didn't buy them)

Anyways, yes, given the circumstances pictures are needed. do these have HID's?

Do they have the Halo's hooked up, and if so, do they work?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's nothing to do with your wiring then. It could be the wiring in the headlight. These aren't exactly made for Canadian models (DRL equipped), or it's something they just didn't think about when wiring them.

Either way you still want this fixed and I doubt you feel like buying new headlights to acheive that.

So here you go, with your apparent knowledge, and this information below, you should have no issue finding and fixing the problem. I'm quite familiar with these cars, the FSM, the harnesses and location, as well as wiring and electronics, and the DRL system. So please don't hold back with any questions after this post. And do post pictures of the fiasco you have going on.

(I assume youve checked the fuses right?)

If your fuses are good, carry on here:

To make this a bit easier, do this. UNPLUG both headlights harnesses, should still be an H4 harness same as OEM. Here's the terminal designation:

You want the one that has E36 written next to it. That's the headlight harness. Test the following terminals using that harness diagram:

Check if you have power at terminal #3 on the Right side (passenger), by using an incandecent test light. Hook the negative clamp to CHASSIS ground (battery Negative is good too) when checking.

If she lights up nice and bright (12+ volts), then you want to install the ground clip into terminal #1 on the Right side light. You're now making the test light the headlight. If it lights up things are good so far. At this point, you will need another test light (incandecent).

LEAVE THE TEST LIGHT IN THE HARNESS ON THE RIGHT (PASSENGER) SIDE.

Then test again on the LEFT side (driver side). Install ground to battery negative (chassis), and check for power at terminal #3 on the LEFT harness.

hopefully this happens:
The test light illuminates, but is dim (half voltage), when it dims, the test light you have in place on the right side should dim also.

If this happens, then all you have to do is remove the ground clamp from the negative terminal on the battery, and hook it into terminal #1 on the LEFT (drivers) side harness. This simply tests the ground side of the circuit. The lights should light back up at half intensity once connected.

If everything I just got you to test went as I said, and is working, now you know that the issue is the HEADLIGHTS, NOT the OEM wiring or DRL module.

NOTE: Anytime you're dealing with aftermarket components, especially one that alters the wiring so much, you need to isolate the aftermarket and OEM components first.

P.S. YOU MUST USE TWO INCANDECENT TEST LIGHTS FOR THIS TEST. A MULTIMETER WILL NOT WORK, NOR WILL AN LED TEST LIGHT.

IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE TEST LIGHT, YOU COULD INSTALL A KNOWN GOOD H4 BULB INTO THE HARNESS ON THE RIGHT SIDE AFTER TESTING THE RIGHT SIDE TO REPLACE THE TEST LIGHT SO YOU CAN USE IT ON THE LEFT SIDE

AND THUSLY GET AWAY WITH JUST ONE TEST LIGHT.

let me know how you make out dude. I attatched a few more things for you just in case:

Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Used Nissan parts

So I tried all the tests and it appears to be the drl module. Got the module out this weekend to check if any of the solder connections need fixing. Someone has already done something with the module and sealed it shut with some kind of caulking! Tried removing the caulk and the module case started to break apart(plastic getting old and brittle).
Are there any places in the Greater Toronto Area that might sell used parts for Nissans? I am new to the world of Maximas, any help would be greatly appreciated.
THX
Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Wreckers would be a good bet, I'm pretty sure nissan used the same DRL module for quite a few different models and across a few years, should be pretty easy to find a module that's the same.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thx
Trying some local wreckers tomorrow.
Hoping to find an independent shop, in the area, that works on Nissan!

Quick Reply: How to FIX your DRL