Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Unplugging Battery....Running rich

Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Unplugging Battery....Running rich

96', V2 T-Trim, 555cc, Greddy EU

Well the car has been running really good the past few months despite me not being on here all that much. Back and forth to work without a problem. A couple of weeks ago I had a battery issue and took the battery off to charge it, then to the place to get it tested. Long story short the car was disconnected for about a week. I got back from vacation, plugged it all up but havent really been driving the car at all. It has been sitting but before all the sitting, it was running awesome.

Yesterday I take it to work and it drives fine all the way to work but on my way home it started running really Rich. I mean I was cruizing on the highway and the car was sputtering and just super Rich. My A/F was reading in the 9's. So hook up to my laptop today figuring maybe something got erased, but no, its all still there in the EU. What gives ? Did my ECU reset and just needs to be driven around to relearn the larger injectors ? Do I maybe have a sensor thats shot ? Nothing has changed on the car at all

I started the car today and running it in my driveway, ton of fuel smell. Just super rich and I havent changed anything.

Thanks guys, your help is always appreciated.

-matt
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Any ideas guys ?

Took the car out this morning for a ride....runs perfectly for about 15 miles....then all of the sudden for NO reason, spitting and sputtering RICH and wont go anywhere...just running super rich, 9's...what is going on ?

Please some help ?

MAF? FPR ?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 AM

i would most likely say fpr or the EU map is going out of wack. Have you tried resetting the EU?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Pay to Play

I would say it just needs to be driven around to relearn the larger injectors, my 2nd thought would be the MAF. Similar issue like this would happend to my car when it was SC. After a few days of driving it would go away and it would just go back to normal.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Well I think I found the issue. Where my outlet pipe of my S/C goes into my fender to hook up to my Intercooler, has always been a little funky. Its hard to make that turn around the body and make the connection onto the outlet of the s/c without it pulling off or just not fitting correctly.
Well I got under the car to take a look at it and the peice just pulled off by hand. All that was holding it on the ridigity of the intercooler pipe... It always looked like it was coming off, on the inside edge. No real way to make it perfect with poly...It was probably tight when it was cold and the minute it warmed up, a little more driving, and it would slowly come off and effect the A/F and driving. Some parts of driving around were fine...some werent. I took it all off and redid the entire section of pipe. Came off the blower with poly into metal all the way down to the turn. More poly for the turn and it seems good now.

Took it out a few times and it seems all good now.
One thing I did notice today when I took the car out. Running fine all the way to the doctors office and then on the way home, all of the sudden the car just fell on its face. 8.0's A/F !!!! 9.0's A/F!!!!!! Car shutting off !!! CAR Sputtering !!! Running truly like cra*. I still had the wire connected to the Emanage but not hooked up to anything. While sitting at a light trying to keep the car running, sputtering, shutting off, I took the computer cord out of the EU and instantly ran fine. A/F is back to normal, no power loss. I guess you cant keep the wire plugged in when your not using it. .

All I have to do now is change out the plugs since they are prob ruined.

-matt
Old 12-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Anyone else see that result with keeping the cord pluged into the EU ??

-matt
Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM

Not sure what Gives !!!!

Took the car out for a ride today....not even warmed up and back to running like pure cra*. A/F in the 8's. Sputtering while driving.

Not sure what to do now. Runs fine sometimes then intermitantly runs like pure shi*.

-matt
Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 PM

Does this sound like a bad FPR ??
Old 12-23-2011, 04:28 PM

maybe the power to the Fuel pump is fluctuating? i recently read somewhere over here that the cables were messed up and the voltage would fluctuate resulting in random afr differences
Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 PM

Its very intermittant....is there a chance that the FPR is sticking ?

I thought this problem was solved, but obviously its not...something is definately off
Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Just went out to the garage and the car ran fine for 10 minutes. No issues

Fuel Pressure at idle connected to Vac : 32
Fuel Pressure at idle Not connected: 43

I am perplexed on what this could be

Last edited by matty; 12-23-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Maybe the EU is effed up? If your using a patch harness remove the EU and run the car without it and see what happens.

Are you monitoring fuel pressure? I'm guessing not since you would have mentioned it. Can you run the car without the afpr? If so do that and see what happens. Btw what kind of fuel pump you running?
Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Walbro high pressure.

I am not using a patch harness. I bought the EU right when they came out and wired it up myself.

The car is running so good and then all of the sudden, bamm...

-matt
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM

Wouldn't it be malfunctioning all the time if it was an EU issue?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by matty
Wouldn't it be malfunctioning all the time if it was an EU issue?
Idk, thats the thing with electronics they can just start tweaking. It was just a though anyway I kinda doubt that if the EU is messed up it would make you run rich.

People have been reporting issues with the walbro fuel pressure being all over the place sometimes. I'm concerned with this since I just installed one and I seen a member reported the fuel pressure would fluctuate up to 10 psi higher sometimes and he found the ground was bad and regrounded it and it solved the out of whack fuel pressure, I'm not sure how that would react with your afpr but its a thought maybe you can either check fuel pressure or check the fuel pump voltage.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...-problems.html

Originally Posted by hurddawg
Recently having going through an Walbro pump install, I noticed the following.

Fuel pressure was all over the place. high one time and low the next.
At idle. Best it was about 5-10psi osciallation. I have a Nismo FPR, so I thought it may be the culprit so I swapped to the stock one, same problem.

Ended up the fuel pump was seeing between 5v-10v, most of the time it was 5v..... There is a lot of discussion about rewiring the fuel pump (I did that in my old Infiniti G20 I had), but this time I noticed that the ground was bad and not the power lead. So I regrounded the fuel pump ground to the body, and viola my fuel pressure stabilized and so did the voltage at the pump.

I thought I would put this up as an FYI for people that might have issues in the future.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:19 AM

Its intermittent so I doubt its a fuel pump issue. I can drive the car normal for miles and then all the sudden its acts up. Very odd. Can't understand what it could be.

The fuel pressure stays spot on, 34
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Can you go into boost to try and get it to clear up. Every now and again the SBOD will run rough, sounds almost like a WRX, as soon as I go into boost, she clears up. Not sure if there is a boost leak, could be a PCV valve.