6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nissan maxima tail light not turning on

Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM

Nissan maxima tail light not turning on

tonight when i got off i was driving home and kept getting flashed all the way home. I pulled into a parking lot and saw that my tail lights were off. When i hit my door lock my tail lights flashed like normal when i hit the unlock button they also flashed like normal. but when i turned my lights on they stayed off. Is there a quick fix for this or anyone no how to fix this issue thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 PM
MAXIN' ON

Have you checked your fuses? There are a couple of different bulbs.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
MAXXED OUT Member!

I would also check fuses first as stated in the previous post. The turn signals are what flashes when you hit the remote button and not your parking lights. So it could be the fuse just for the parking lights.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by wildman04
I would also check fuses first as stated in the previous post. The turn signals are what flashes when you hit the remote button and not your parking lights. So it could be the fuse just for the parking lights.
I'm not too sure about the turn signals. There's a few folks whose brake lights flash when hitting the remote and everything else works great for them. They thought mine was strange because my blinkers flashed. That's not his issue here.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having the same problem with my 2004 Maxima, my car has continuously had a tail light outage. Check to see if the inside panel where your CD player is controlled. That was out as well as the light where I shift my gears. I dropped my car of las Thursday, June 19th and everyday they are calling to tell me that they can't find the problem. This is the 5th time this year that my tail lights have gone out. First they said it was the fuse, then another fuse caused this fuse and all of the bulbs to blow, then yet another fuse and now no one knows. I am so sick of this car. This has been the only issue that I've had...
Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 AM

i checked all my fuses and that was not the issue i went to check the tail lights them selves... How in Gods green earth do you check the tail light the whole back is a solid metal piece. do you actually have to take the whole light off the car to get to the taillights??
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kofi Armah
i checked all my fuses and that was not the issue i went to check the tail lights them selves... How in Gods green earth do you check the tail light the whole back is a solid metal piece. do you actually have to take the whole light off the car to get to the taillights??
Here's a write-up on the LED install Luke did on my car. You can get information from the first few steps for the tail light removal. Plus there's pictures:

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/news.php?readmore=212

Last edited by MissMiami; 06-25-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 AM
SmokinMaxSE

This is the first thread I ever read about tail light problems. Sounds like a car with DRL..... day time running lights.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i hate to bump an old thread..

but just tonight me and the family went out to eat dinner and after dinner on the way home a buddy we were having dinner with noticed the tailights were out. I plled into a walmart and checked all the fuses that i could find with no luck at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Disregard.. read on another thread about the fusebox next to the windshield washer fluid.

I would of never found that thing in the dark without the help of this forum.. woot!

the wifey mobile is safe again.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm only posting this cuz I had a problem along the same lines today.

My car did the same thing. My fuse kept going out. The parking lights would work until I used the signal while my lights were on - the fuse would blow immediately. There was a problem with my cornering bulb. I unplugged both cornering bulbs, and the problem stopped. After replacing the cornering bulbs with new bulbs the lights continued to function.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

.........i found the fuse box next to the windshield washing fluid. Thanks !!!!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 PM

intermittent lights going on or off is the bulb. replace the bulb
Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 Maxima Tail Lights and Parking Lights fuse blows when interior dome light is on

Discovered that my tail lights and parking lights fuse (next to the window washer box which took me a couple of hours to find!) would blow everytime I turned interior dome light on. First I thought it was my Ipod and then maybe moisture was getting in through a small crack in the left rear tail light. Sat in my car last night with a box of fuses and did everything one at a time. It was the turning on of my dome light that caused the fuse to blow. It was instant. I have a blown bulb in the passenger side vanity sun-viser flap. I will change that tomorrow and post an update.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bump for others with this problem:

I work at a shop and a 2004 Maxima came in with no exterior running lights. Fuse next to the windshield washer tank was blown. The fuse will intermittently blow with the dome light switch set to "door" or "on." The circuit that illuminates the interior's buttons, gauges, etc is shared with the running light circuit. The fault was the switch itself. The switch cover is clamped onto the switch body by two clips on each side. One clip was broken which caused the metal contacts inside the switch to get off track and short the wrong contact strips.

The switch is not sold individually so you have to order the entire dome light console assembly. Cost should be ~$120.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by johnlam940
Bump for others with this problem:

I work at a shop and a 2004 Maxima came in with no exterior running lights. Fuse next to the windshield washer tank was blown. The fuse will intermittently blow with the dome light switch set to "door" or "on." The circuit that illuminates the interior's buttons, gauges, etc is shared with the running light circuit. The fault was the switch itself. The switch cover is clamped onto the switch body by two clips on each side. One clip was broken which caused the metal contacts inside the switch to get off track and short the wrong contact strips.

The switch is not sold individually so you have to order the entire dome light console assembly. Cost should be ~$120.

Hope this helps.
I'm having the same problem.

Are you talking about the whole dome light assembly with dome light(door and "on") switch and the individual driver/passenger llight buttoms?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a problem with my tail light not working on 06 Nissan maxima when i turn my light on no tail light or tag light can somebody help me out there
Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem on my 2005. Is the light panel for the radio out also? Can the guage lights be adjusted? If not, take down the overhead console panel that has the shade holder. Disconnect the plug and see if it helps. Remember to replace the fuse also. The middle rocker switch on the overhead that controls the overhead light has shorted out, causing all the problems. By disconnecting the plug, you will have to manually push each light to come on. You could also cut and connect the orng and wht wires to get the light to come on when you open the doors.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same exact issue. Some switch fell out. (I wired the orange and white wires to make the lights come on when the doors open, though this is not necessary) as for the blown tail lights, there is one more fuse box hiding by your wiper fluid, the tail light fuse is a 15 amp fuse, and its in that box.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brake Light Won’t come In, Fuses. Low, Shifter Won’t Engage

Originally Posted by Kofi Armah
tonight when i got off i was driving home and kept getting flashed all the way home. I pulled into a parking lot and saw that my tail lights were off. When i hit my door lock my tail lights flashed like normal when i hit the unlock button they also flashed like normal. but when i turned my lights on they stayed off. Is there a quick fix for this or anyone no how to fix this issue thanks.
I have a 2006 Maxima. My brake lights wouldn’t come on and shifter wouldn’t engage. Replaced the brake switch. Didn’t help. Brake light fuse keeps popping. Tonight, I dropped my cell on the dash above the radio and noticed my brake light came on! Banged on dash and they went off. Banged again..they work fine now and the shifter engages. I think someone dropped a coin in the display panel. Having a mech look into it this week.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have this issue where the tail lights, climate control lights, shifter lights all go off intermittently and I am sometimes able to get it back on by playing with the power door lock switch. I suspect there is an aftermarket remote start installed on the vehicle and pressing the lock button on the key makes the car start, I assume it is not this way from factory. Anyone have any idea how I can start troubleshooting this? I feel like the previous owner did a **** job installing the remote start and it is causing a short some where under the dash.