6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

poor radio reception!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 PM

poor radio reception!!

Hey so i have always had mediocre radio reception in my max. But now that i wanna play pandora through my iphone to the radio via FM transmitter its not good enough quality for me to be satisfied.

i've had FM transmitters in my older maxima and have never had a problem like i do now.

My question is where is the antenna located in our 6th gen maxima. I want to extend the range and reception by adding an additional antenna or wire coil. but im not sure where to start looking. Anyone know where this is. the antenna on the top of our cars from my understanding is a satellite receiver, NOT an FM antenna. correct?

anyone else have this same problem and fix it? what did you do?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM

I have good reception in my car. The only time i've had bad reception is with the rear defrost on and that was when i was out in the country. If you're going to use a FM transmitter, you'd use the station with out any signal anyway. My experience with FM transmitters has been eh...I used one for my Zune and always got a high pitched whine over it.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by SavageSavant
I have good reception in my car. The only time i've had bad reception is with the rear defrost on and that was when i was out in the country. If you're going to use a FM transmitter, you'd use the station with out any signal anyway. My experience with FM transmitters has been eh...I used one for my Zune and always got a high pitched whine over it.
yeah i got tons of stations that i could use, but even the ones that are supposed to come in clear get a little fuzzy as i drive farther away from the towers. In my other maxima, i could get those same stations twice as far away..

no one knows where the internal FM antenna is?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
SuPeRmOd

rear window. what kind of tint do you have? Some tint kills reception.
Have always had great reception... from what I recall. Used my CDs more, if not tape adapter with iPod... but mostly my sirius.

which I installed on my rear dash. therefore I got carbon tint instead of metal tint which destroys reception.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
rear window. what kind of tint do you have? Some tint kills reception.
Have always had great reception... from what I recall. Used my CDs more, if not tape adapter with iPod... but mostly my sirius.

which I installed on my rear dash. therefore I got carbon tint instead of metal tint which destroys reception.
interesting..... i have really heavy tint!!! maybe this is why... im going to go check it out back there and see if i can find the antenna. if i can im going to extend it to the bumper or something.