5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Throttle body Swap on 5.5 Gen

Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Throttle body Swap on 5.5 Gen

I tried to do a search and saw nothing concerning this subject.

Is there a way to swap a larger throttle body from a 350z or one of the later model Maxima's or anything on to the 5.5 Gen? Will it work with the ecu or will you have to get a piggy back like UTEC or HALTECH??
Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Yes.
Look at suratt's swap to the 7th gen motor. he wass able to utilize the stock 2k9 pigtail and actuate the 75mm tb from that with the older 3.5.

im waiting on sfr to answer if they can make their mani to accept the 75mm tb.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
Yes.
Look at suratt's swap to the 7th gen motor. he wass able to utilize the stock 2k9 pigtail and actuate the 75mm tb from that with the older 3.5.

im waiting on sfr to answer if they can make their mani to accept the 75mm tb.
You have to excuse my ignorance...but the TB in the 5.5 gen is how big? I thought the ones on the 2009 Max were bigger? I would love to swap a BIGGER TB on my 5.5 Gen....and it would be NICE if SFR would make a custom mani that would accept that......I'm planning on doing the 3.5" intake tubing and the bottle neck will be the TB.....would be nice to have one bigger to flow more air......did you contact Tim at SFR??
Old 09-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Toolie

The 350Z tb is the same size as ours. And I'm not sure if there is any material to remove from the upper plenum to allow for the larger diameter and the different bolt pattern
Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

SFR

Post 88
video and info enclosed

ive contacted sfr already. Id spoken with sparks and as that doesnt seem to be taking off, and their mani is just slightly more than what i was expecting to pay him, figure its a win win. contemplating doing this now as seasons almost up or waiting till feb. ive been putting money to the side for a housing project and working on the 64 but that wont be out till summer...soooooo...the questions that im waiting on the answer to are if they make the manifold so that it mates to the 03 lower. if it can be made with the plate to accept the 2k9 75mm tb instead of the stock 70mm. at the point that they verify that and its in my hands i can then figure the length that i need the midpipe to be for overall measurement.

credit to darren for the info above and pics.
Originally Posted by knight_yyz
The 350Z tb is the same size as ours. And I'm not sure if there is any material to remove from the upper plenum to allow for the larger diameter and the different bolt pattern
what i was looking at was opening up the elbow and going with and adapter plate to allow the tb to be put on, then having nwp do the porting etc etc. but with the full service it still nears the price of the sfr and sparks has shown thats probably the biggest bang for the buck with supporting.

im at the point that cams and mani are all thats left.

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 09-22-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:27 PM

the questions that im waiting on the answer to are if they make the manifold so that it mates to the 03 lower. if it can be made with the plate to accept the 2k9 75mm tb instead of the stock 70mm. at the point that they verify that and its in my hands i can then figure the length that i need the midpipe to be for overall measurement.

credit to darren for the info above and pics.
Hmm......so they basically can make a manifold for the 5.5 gen that accepts the 2009 TB? All we need to do is find out how to control the 09 TB with the 02 ECU......Darren looks like he has already done that. How much did they say that custom Manifold that will bolt on the 09 TB? Also will they make the elbow to the manifold bigger too?

Last edited by ranmas2004; 09-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

as stated. all you have to do is use the three wire pigtail from the 2k9 harness and you splice it in. thats it. 2k3 ecu will run it. The problem is bolting up to the mani if they use the 2k3 plate. I sent the questions over to them, and im awaiting the answers now.

the manifold is 1099. if you want it polished as above its an additional 249. I was expecting to give sparks about 900 or so for a mani, so its all about relative. Planned on powdercoating so thats money saved.

i didnt ask about a larger elbow. Sparks noted the differences were his had a larger elbow and larger volume, the sfr starts with velocity stacks etc.
been speaking with tuko and :shrug: this seems to be the only option out there. if i can crack 275 with this the test pipe, and new intake im happy and can skip cams. ill let you know when they hit me back or you can email them on the first link i put up.as well with a spacer plate you can get around it not bolting, but as they make it figure a tweak like that for the money shouldnt be too bad.

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 09-22-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 PM

as stated. all you have to do is use the three wire pigtail from the 2k9 harness and you splice it in. thats it. 2k3 ecu will run it. The problem is bolting up to the mani. I sent the questions over to them, and im awaiting the answers now.

the manifold is 1099. if you want it polished as above its an additional 249. I was expecting to give sparks about 900 or so for a mani, so its all about relative.

i didnt ask about a larger elbow. he noted the differences were his had a larger elbow and larger volume, the sfr starts with velocity stacks etc.
been speaking with tuko and shrug seems to be the only option out there. if i can crack 275 with this the test pipe, and new intake im happy and can skip cams. ill let you know when they hit me back or you can email them on the first link i put up.

I'm going for 300whp...with cams.......not happy with 275...lol. If sparks can get 285 with no cams.....then 300hp with cams is VERY possible.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Sounds good, but im auto im sitting at 264 currently. and have considerably more drivetrain loss than the manuals, so im extremely happy with my numbers. the car does a good job getting out of its way, especially on my lighter wheels. Not too much left for me to do outside of the items listed below, and some actual lightweight wheels, but with the stillen front and as low as i run it smh.

figuring going up from the 3 inch maf/intake setup i have *3inch intergrated with v stack to a 3.5 intergrated), the 3 inch testpipe (replacing the hollowed catalytic) and an intake mani (sfr replacing the ssim)and larger tb, im pretty sure i should be doing alot better (@ least the 11 hp to reach my goal *Which upon starting to amass parts was only 250)whp. the car is quick now....lol.just dont know if i want to dump 2k on top of everything (cams) when i could put that toward a rmt later.

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 09-22-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Sounds good, but im auto im sitting at 264 currently. and have considerably more drivetrain loss than the manuals, so im extremely happy with my numbers. the car does a good job getting out of its way, especially on my lighter wheels. Not too much left for me to do outside of the items listed below, and some actual lightweight wheels, but with the stillen front and as low as i run it smh.

figuring going up from the 3 inch maf/intake setup i have *3inch intergrated with v stack to a 3.5 intergrated), the 3 inch testpipe (replacing the hollowed catalytic) and an intake mani (sfr replacing the ssim)and larger tb, im pretty sure i should be doing alot better (@ least the 11 hp to reach my goal *Which upon starting to amass parts was only 250)whp. the car is quick now....lol.just dont know if i want to dump 2k on top of everything (cams) when i could put that toward a rmt later.

OH..OK..I didn't know you had an auto...didn't even look at your signature...assumed you were manual. I think that 75mm TB and SFR mani will do more than 11hp...I don't know....but I'm almost sure. that is a significant more amount of air......do fuel injectors have to be changed?? Would that help too?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
I'm going for 300whp...with cams.......not happy with 275...lol. If sparks can get 285 with no cams.....then 300hp with cams is VERY possible.
OH..OK..I didn't know you had an auto...didn't even look at your signature...assumed you were manual. I think that 75mm TB and SFR mani will do more than 11hp...I don't know....but I'm almost sure. that is a significant more amount of air......do fuel injectors have to be changed?? Would that help too?
yeah, auto, high stall, shift kit, blah blah blah.
im running utec so no need. people usually swap injectors to ghetto rig the timing and get it to advance with the afc. with the utec. you can map your own table so no need for it. i picked up over 15hp in the midrange after leaning out and advancing timing. only the timing will net hp once you balance out the a/f.

im expecting that they will pull more than 11. hell expecting that i should pull more than that with the other items prior to the manifold being bolted on. like i said its plenty fast now for what it is, but to actually know its finished i need a little bit more
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Toolie

sounds like it would be cheaper to modify the the 09 LIM and buy an upper 09 IM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

sounds like it would be cheaper to modify the the 09 LIM and buy an upper 09 IM.
For the amount of work necessary the one person running it has stated its not worth the cost, or effort. Im not looking to have to do any headwork with the heads on my car.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

as well this is the traffic with SFR

-----Original Message-----
To: info@speedforceracing.com
Date: 09/22/11 11:49
Subject: Nissan Maxima 3.5
Good Afternoon,
I’m writing in reference the intake manifold that you offer for the Maxima. I have a fully bolted 2k3 Auto 264 @ the wheels without cams. Im highly interested in your manifold; as a member on our forums put down amazing gains with a somewhat similar setup that he custom made. I had a couple of questions prior to purchase to ensure im moving in the right direction, and I hope you can point me in the right direction.

• Can you make this manifold to bolt with the 2k3 Nissan Maxima lower intake manfold?

• Yes.

• Unsure of what lower you currently use, but this would allow me to keep my port matched lower mani and NWP spacers.
no spacers
• Is there a way that it can be made to accept the larger bore of a 2k11 throttle body (75mm) as weve found that this can be exchanged with our stocker for a few extra HP.
if you can provide a bolt pattern of flange,yes.but it will be $50 more.

• Is there a clearance difference with strut bars? I got ahold of a titanium piece that hasn’t been made in years and id love to keep it if possible.
it just depends to be honest.

I believe that covers all of the concerns that I had outside of how long does it take to generally receive the manifold after ordering?
about 2-3 weeks after ordering.

And lastly is there a military discount .
unfortunately not.

And can this be made with the elbow in 3.5 instead of 3 inch
YES IT IS BUT I MIGHT NEED TO MAKE SOME ADJUSMENTS.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:52 PM

THATS WHATS up!! I spoke with them this morning! They can do it.....ITS NO NOW!!!!!! PRATY TIME!!! 300 N/A whp HERE I COME!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

THATS WHATS up!! I spoke with them this morning! They can do it.....ITS NO NOW!!!!!! PRATY TIME!!! 300 N/A whp HERE I COME!!!!!!
Figured ud appreciate the info. I got the info from Darren that the 2k9 with cost of the two parts, and no way to control dual vias, that he'd go custom as sparks did. From our conversations I was expecting that he would be offering them, and my expectation was about a g. So comes out about the same.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wonder if he could make a few of these to bring the costs down. I'm sure some 5th and 6th gen people would be interested in a intake setup of this caliber.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

I hear u...be nice if we could get a break but its over a g and I know I've seen items priced way less flounder on here. If you want to run with it, it'd be appreciated
Originally Posted by nishfish871
I wonder if he could make a few of these to bring the costs down. I'm sure some 5th and 6th gen people would be interested in a intake setup of this caliber.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Anyone on here know if you can fit the 09 maxima VQ heads on the 02 VQ? Was looking at Darren's swap and the ports on them are so much bigger than the 02 VQ......would be nice to do that...put the 09 head and lower mani on the 02 Max with a custom made intake mani port matched to the lower with the 09 TB and 3.5" intake......then put some cams and springs in the 09 head....that would definitely get over 300whp....nice!! Just need to know if they drop right in...I can find the parts at junkyards around here.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 AM

what are the benefits of the larger throttle body anyway?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Imagine 2 runners both running a 400 meter race...Running #1 is given a STRAW to breathe through ONLY (no nose or open mouth)......Runner #2 is allowed breath through their nose and mouth while running......guess who's going to win that race....LOL. Same with the bigger TB on a car.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Anyone on here know if you can fit the 09 maxima VQ heads on the 02 VQ? Was looking at Darren's swap and the ports on them are so much bigger than the 02 VQ......would be nice to do that...put the 09 head and lower mani on the 02 Max with a custom made intake mani port matched to the lower with the 09 TB and 3.5" intake......then put some cams and springs in the 09 head....that would definitely get over 300whp....nice!! Just need to know if they drop right in...I can find the parts at junkyards around here.
already sent you my thoughts in pm.
Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Its been shown that theres a huge gain to be made in breathing mods on these cars. A healthy vq, with headers, 3 inch catback,ssim, a tune and larger maf will pull incredible numbers pitted against one with against one similarly modded with 2.5 inch. Thats what started the run for cattmans 3 inch exhaust.
Sparks then took it further with a manifold sporting a 3.5 inch elbow and larger plenum. Again, another huge gainer.
3.5 intake piping another proven gain. the TB will just amplify all of these by allowing more air into the motor.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...up-vq35de.html
Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Finally got an 09 TB in the mail!!!

You can see how big 09 TB is...

You can see 02 TB is much smaller...

In car side by side comparison.....

If it wasn't for that hump on the TB...the 09 TB would have totally fit over the 02 TB...

My plan is to get a custom intake manifold made from SFR that will mount the 09 TB up....this will go good with the 3.5" intake!!!! Need to find an 09 pigtail for the TB....called Nissan dealer and they want to sell the entire engine harness for $400.....HELL NAW!!! After that....it's on!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

called Nissan dealer and they want to sell the entire engine harness for $400.....HELL NAW!!! After that....it's on!!!!
Spare harnesses are good to have. I paid 60$ for my 4th gen version and 60$ for the 5.5 gen version.

www.car-part.com
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks to Surratt and Cant_get_ryte...found FSMs for both the 2002 and 2009 maxima!!! Wrote up a little diagram of how to connect the 09 TB up with the 02 wiring harness!!

ALMOST there!!! Ordering the custom Manifold next week!!! CANT WAIT!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:43 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Thanks to Surratt and Cant_get_ryte...found FSMs for both the 2002 and 2009 maxima!!! Wrote up a little diagram of how to connect the 09 TB up with the 02 wiring harness!!

...ALMOST there!!! Ordering the custom Manifold next week!!! CANT WAIT!!!
I wished I lived in the NE again. I would love to check out your car! Sounds like quite the project. I'm a tad bit envious.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I wished I lived in the NE again. I would love to check out your car! Sounds like quite the project. I'm a tad bit envious.
I just can't wait to see what it's going to feel like after the 09 TB with the 3.5" intake piping and LRMAF with the custom IM and the Haltech tune. All I need now is to find this pigtail off the 09 Maxima...looked on carparts.com but no one sells it...called all kinds of junkyards no one has a 09, 10 or 11 Maxima wrecked laying around...looks like I'm just going to have to buy a used harness and bite the freakin bullet and cut the TB connector off.....whatever!! then I just gotta fine a shop to bend this pipe for me like I need so it fits right near the battery....actually going to rotate the battery 90 degrees to make more room for the intake filter at the end.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

... All I need now is to find this pigtail off the 09 Maxima...looked on carparts.com but no one sells it...called all kinds of junkyards no one has a 09, 10 or 11 Maxima wrecked laying around...looks like I'm just going to have to buy a used harness and bite the freakin bullet and cut the TB connector off...
Did you try Aackshun? He may be able to fix you up.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM

PM sent.....hope someone can help.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15 AM

I tried to do a search and saw nothing concerning this subject.

Is there a way to swap a larger throttle body from a 350z or one of the later model Maxima's or anything on to the 5.5 Gen? Will it work with the ecu or will you have to get a piggy back like UTEC or HALTECH??
Sure if the plugs are the same it's P-N-P.... Or maybe you could swap over all your servo motor crap to the larger TB....
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

will this harness work?

http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...oducts_id=1506
Old 07-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Toolie

Bringing this back from the dead.

Does anyone know the pitch of the 4 holes on the oem throttle body? I'd take mine off and measure it but I don;t want to redo RTV sealant on the NWP spacer.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Bringing this back from the dead.

Does anyone know the pitch of the 4 holes on the oem throttle body? I'd take mine off and measure it but I don;t want to redo RTV sealant on the NWP spacer.
You mean the measurements of the 4 bolts? M6x1.00
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Toolie

Seriously? If I wanted to know the length of the bolts I would have posted, "does any one know the length of the 6mm fine thread bolts that hold the throttle body to the elbow?"
I won't ruin any sealant removing a bolt.

So again, does anyone know the pitch of the 4 holes on the throttle body? Pitch is the distance between the bolt pattern. It's probably 60 or 65mm.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Seriously? If I wanted to know the length of the bolts I would have posted, "does any one know the length of the 6mm fine thread bolts that hold the throttle body to the elbow?"
I won't ruin any sealant removing a bolt.

So again, does anyone know the pitch of the 4 holes on the throttle body? Pitch is the distance between the bolt pattern. It's probably 60 or 65mm.
I'm sorry if my response upset you. I was just trying to help. The measurement I gave you is the pitch of the TB bolts, not the length. I don't know the distance between the bolt holes off hand.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Toolie

But you make spacers and throttle plates with that pattern. Don't worry I wasn't expecting the correct answer from you. I don't want to steal your business secrets.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM
NWP Engineering.com

But you make spacers and throttle plates with that pattern. Don't worry I wasn't expecting the correct answer from you. I don't want to steal your business secrets.
It's not a business secret. If you have a stock TB on your car now, you can measure the distance between the two bolts with a ruler without removing it. I just don't know the distance off hand right now.

I'm just trying to be nice and help you out. I am able to give you the correct answer though. Shoot me an email at aaron@nwpengineering.com and I'll be able to give you a measurement later today.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

wtf?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

^^that's what I'm saying lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle body Swap on 5.5 Gen