4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0100 Code MAF?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

P0100 Code MAF?

My brother was driving the car and CEL came on and the car drove like sh*t and wouldn't go past 20mph and bucked, then it would stall in drive or reverse, so got it towed. Pulled the codes and got a P0100 for the MAF. I'm gonna try and clean it but wanted to know if that doesn't work if anyone has had experience with Autozone MAF for the Maxima? Suggestions on where to get a decent quality MAF without dealer prices? Just want to do it right if I have to swap it out. TIA! much appreciated!

P.S. - Only engine mod is an intake which probably doesn't cause any issues, but just wanted to throw that out there.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Got Retrofit?

Yup, definitely the MAF. I've got the same code but my car's driving fine.

Make sure it's plugged in fully, then try cleaning it. Make sure the car hasn't been turned on before cleaning it. Don't douse the thing, just throw 3-4 quick sprays on each side of the sensor, then spray the screen and let it dry. Don't drop that thing either. Reinstall it and see how the car runs.

If you've still got the same problem, buy a used MAF from the classifieds on here. I don't have any experience with the Autozone MAF but it's expensive (even with the core) and the dealer is even more expensive than that.

If the filter used on the intake is oiled, that could definitely cause an issue with the MAF. If over oiled, the oil can get on the MAF and ruin it so be weary. That's whi I run dry flow filters on my cars so there's no oil.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM

I bought a reman MAF off autopartsexporess.com recently (about $160 after core) and it is working fine. Had to chase them for the core refund, but eventually got it. Had to replace isolator (rubber ring between MAF and intake) also; got at dealer for about $7.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks alot guys for the info! I tried cleaning it and putting everything back together but no luck CEL still on and car still runs bad. The Filter was absolutely filthy which is probably why this happened. but everything is cleaned and cleaned the TB while I was at it. Ordered a new MAF from Massairflow.com for supprisingly only $67 shipped? Hopefully this isn't junk. Taking a gamble on this one lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DaBlackMaxx
Thanks alot guys for the info! I tried cleaning it and putting everything back together but no luck CEL still on and car still runs bad. The Filter was absolutely filthy which is probably why this happened. but everything is cleaned and cleaned the TB while I was at it. Ordered a new MAF from Massairflow.com for supprisingly only $67 shipped? Hopefully this isn't junk. Taking a gamble on this one lol
Let us know if that $67 MAF works for you!! Might make me feel real bad about my $160 one, but would like to know!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 PM

ebay MAFs are always hit or miss.

OP, usuallly what happens with the maf is that the elecrical contacts ( NOT the filter elements) within the MAF housing corrode or lose connectivity. In some cases ppl have been able to solder those connections and get the maf working fine again. There is a thread about this. SEARCH.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 AM

Cashoit...thats a legit website not ebay...so if he gets this sensor for 67 and it works like ours does it would be a great website to add to the stickies for product review considering a 4th gen maf is 450 from nissan...i was considering trying to make a 01 maf work
Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 PM

naa no luck with that website guys. So pissed cause they didn't even send the sensor out and I waited a week. I called and left 2 messages, emailed them and then finally put in a paypal complaint and they responded and said that it didn't register that I had paid already when I had paid immediately. They wanted to know if they should still send it out, HELL NO, went to a local parts place and picked it up and popped it in, ($265). Might have been a good part but soo pissed how the whole situation was handled and couldn't wait any longer for something that was already supposed to be sent out.

Still have an issue tho, CEL still on after the MAF was swapped. I actually think it was just the 'pigtail connector' that connects to the MAF. I realized after the the white wire was slightly split and when I moved it, it came apart all together.
-Wanted to know if I cut one from another max from the junkyard, if I would have any issues if I splice the two and plug it in that way?

thanks guys!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by DaBlackMaxx
Still have an issue tho, CEL still on after the MAF was swapped. I actually think it was just the 'pigtail connector' that connects to the MAF. I realized after the the white wire was slightly split and when I moved it, it came apart all together.
-Wanted to know if I cut one from another max from the junkyard, if I would have any issues if I splice the two and plug it in that way?
You should have no problems splicing in a "new" harness.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Alright well spliced in a harness that I picked up from the junkyard. What I did was, soldered 3 identical pieces of wire (16 guage) in between the 2 connections to make it long enough to reach. Plugged the connector back up and reconnected the battery connection. Fired the car up and still have a CEL? Car actually runs now and I was able to drive it around the block and got it upto about 40-55mph, but if I try and peg the throttle it still is bucking and won't let the RPM's go up, and engine starts to feel like its choking. I got a feeling the its still throwing the MAF code. What am I doing wrong? Could it be because I put a 16 guage wire in between the connector its causing it to not read properly? Any and all help appreciated guys! This is becoming a project when it sounds so simple.

Going to goto autozone and run it for codes since I can drive it now.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:52 PM

So I'm still getting code P0100 for the MAF and an O2 sensor code that I was getting previously (P0130). Idk what else it could be? Voltage at the connector? The MAF I got is bad?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Anyone?? I really don't want to take it to a shop and they tell me the same thing
Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this might be super late but hopefully it helps some of you ... try checking your vacuum leaks look for cracks they tend to get old and brittle and crack once you try and take out the filter box. you could have a vacuum leak