7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Fast idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM

Fast idle

Does anyone else think these cars idle a little too fast? To me it seems like when stopping, it idles a little too high making it harder to stop. Does anyone know of a way to idle them down?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:58 AM

seems fine to me. but i would imagine the idle is electronically controlled and it would be hard to change it.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM

What are you idling at, mine sits at 700-500rpm that is ridiculously low, any lower and it will shut itself off
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM

On a cold startup, idles around 1,500 for a minute, then once fully warm, drops to about 600-650. If you've got your A/C running full blast, this will bump the revs up to about 800 or so while waiting for a stoplight. Nothing out of the ordinary if you're experiencing the same as me.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by vulcanw
Does anyone else think these cars idle a little too fast? To me it seems like when stopping, it idles a little too high making it harder to stop. Does anyone know of a way to idle them down?
It can be adjusted but by the dealer only as it is computer controlled. My 370Z would idle too high so I had to take it in and get it adjusted, took the tech all of 2 minutes, it was out of factory spec for whatever reason.

Or if you prefer you can purchase your own Nissan Consult 3 to do this: http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/nissa...stic-tool.html or http://nissanconsult.spx.com/overview.aspx

j/k....
Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM

not talking about the fast idle at start up. It just seems like the last 5-10 MPH it's still pulling. Tach is around 1000-1100 at 5-10MPH but then drops to around 700 once it comes to a dead stop. Guess she just wants to run
Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 PM

not talking about the fast idle at start up. It just seems like the last 5-10 MPH it's still pulling. Tach is around 1000-1100 at 5-10MPH but then drops to around 700 once it comes to a dead stop. Guess she just wants to run
I know exactly what you mean-my car does the exact same thing
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM

I think that is for emissions, in the old carburetor-ed days we had "idle decel valves" which did exactly as your describing only today it's computerized.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Ahhh I gotcha. Mine kinda does the same thing when on the brakes coming to a stop. The revs kinda hang a bit and then drop suddenly. I gotta say though, with the latest ECM and TCM reflash I had the dealer take care of last week, it's definitely helped that issue.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by GM_Traitor3.5VQ
Ahhh I gotcha. Mine kinda does the same thing when on the brakes coming to a stop. The revs kinda hang a bit and then drop suddenly. I gotta say though, with the latest ECM and TCM reflash I had the dealer take care of last week, it's definitely helped that issue.
Is that a recall type thing or did you go in and ask for a reflash? I'm also seeing a lot of new threads about poor brakes...should we start a poll to see who gets the first rear-ending of some poor sucker in front of us??
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM

Is that a recall type thing or did you go in and ask for a reflash? I'm also seeing a lot of new threads about poor brakes...should we start a poll to see who gets the first rear-ending of some poor sucker in front of us??
Eh, I got the TSB performed to get rid of the "booming and vibration". A nice side effect was that the engine and trans was more responsive down low in the revs and the symptom you're describing is a bit less noticeable now.

I have no complaints about the stock brakes on mine. Lord knows I thrashed the hell out of them on the Dragon
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM

The other day I was sitting at a light and I thought a truck was behind me, then I realized my car was making the noise, think it's time to get this TSB done
Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

07 Maxima high idle

So I changed my cam sensors because one was going bad. while I was at it I cleaned the TB and yes I moved it so I could get a good cleaning. My idle was high and throwing the high idle code. I followed these procedures and it worked like a charm. My car RPM hums at 600

ECU Reset
  • Turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
  • Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD) and release quickly five times within 5 seconds.
  • Release the accelerator pedal and wait 7 seconds
  • Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
  • Release the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds (while the CEL is still blinking)
  • Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
  • Release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
  • Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Accelerator Pedal Position Learning

• Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds. at least= more time is ok, less is not
  • Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
  • Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

• Turn ignition switch ON.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning

• . Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature. Skip this if the engine is already warm as you might throw the code in idle.
  • Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
  • Fully depress and release accelerator pedal quickly five times within 5 seconds. This interval must be 5 seconds before step 8 begins.
  • Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
  • Release the accelerator pedal and start engine within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
  • let engine idle for 20 seconds
  • Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the
specifications.
  • Turn off the car and restart within 10 seconds. (Better = 5 seconds)