6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2004 Power Window problems, probably easy fix

Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM

2004 Power Window problems, probably easy fix

I've heard from my mechanic that power window problems are an issue with 6th gens after a certain amount of aging. I'm having an irritating problem, now on both front power windows, that I'd like to dig in and repair myself. My version of the problem is: the driver side moreso than the passenger side, but both still, go from working when button pressed, to not working, back to working, but usually not working after first usage on each drive/car turnon. The only way for me to resolve the issue is to start hitting the door in certain spots in particular, in the middle handle trim and closer to the front, which I learned when I took the door panel off to unplug and replug wires for windows. I then started tapping different areas to try and get a response and sure enough eventually it did work when this bare location was hit HARD ENOUGH. This leads me to believe that behind the door skin there's something electronically weak, somehow, someway, that works with a little pop of energy/vibration/impact? Has anyone heard of this? Typical solution? Thanks very much.

Any reference to a 2004/6th generation repair manual would be very much appreciated also.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM

remove door trim, play with wires ?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Just had the same F@#$%& problem today, coming home from work! I guess I'm gonna have to crack open my driver side door. The issue has surfaced several times now and it's only getting worse. I didn't think this was happening to anyone else. Time to get on courtesyparts.com they always have all the OEM stuff that I need.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lose/cracked wiring going to the window motor?

I'm having problems with my driver's side window myself. Won't roll down with key fob or switch. Switch will roll down passenger front, passenger rear, and driver rear but won't roll either rear windows back up from the master switch on driver door (have to use the switch on the rear doors to roll them back up) but driver front will not roll down at all. Any clues?

I'm thinking it's both the driver motor and driver switch that are shot but not sure.

Last edited by Panimal; 06-22-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 AM

Same issue here with the passenger side.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM

I've been having this issue for about a month. On my way home I tried putting the window down and it wouldn't go down. What I simply did was push down the actual glass and it seemed as if it was down all the way. When I did this the window went down with some pressure on it. I have been doing this for a month. If the window doesn't go down I just push down on it and then hit the driver side down button and it goes down. I think the motor mechanism isn't catching the window and pulling it down fully so that could be the issue. I just haven't had time to bring it in. So just a solution, instead of banging on the door just try pushing the window itself down into the door a little and if it doesn't go down just press the down button.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM

So, if I remember, I will have to remove the metal door skin after I remove the doorpanel, in order to have proper access to the entire window situation behind? If so, how do I do this? Thanks..
Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM

I haven't had any problems with my 2007...yet.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just brought my car home from the dealer with power window problems. Beginning early last year, my drivers side power window would come up VERY weakly. Last summer I had some work done and told the dealer about my issue. The fix was they 'cleaned out the tracks' IIRC, they were all gunked up and voila, the window worked great. For about 2 months lol. Then the same issue, the up operation on the drivers side would be very weak, moreso the further open the window was. Occasionally, the window would not work AT ALL (luckily it was always full up). It seemed to reset after about 3 cycles of the car being driven, then worked fine. (Also, it seemed to stop working if I used either Auto function up/down).

Anyway, fast forward to this week. I took the car in for a strut issue, and told them my drivers side window had completely stopped working. They came back and said it needed a new motor/regulator. So they replaced it, and now it works great. HOWEVER, suddenly my passenger rear window will not work AT ALL. So I immediately returned to the dealer. Neither the master driver's switch, nor the pass rear door switch works. They said I need a new master switch....does that make any sense? Why would neither switch work if it only need a new master driver's switch?

I suspect they robbed a part from the back rear window to get the drivers side to work? Any ideas?

Last edited by adx737; 07-01-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM

Same issues on my 2004.

If rarely works, but if I slam the door hard it might budge a tiny bit. I have to pull up on the window for it to work. Might rip it apart this weekend to take a look. Hoping its not the motor, damn things cost more then I thought they would.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just read thru this post.. My wifes car (05) has window issues... Started out with the drivers side messing up and went completely out, now the passenger side is out too. Nissan want about 270 a side just for the part. I cant find either one of the motors online, but Oreillys said they could send my motor off an have it rebuilt... For those of you that have got new motors, where did you get them???
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you guys nuts? Have you had any experience repairing power windows or taking off door trim without damaging it? Why not hire someone who knows what they're doing and learn how to paint so you can touch up your bumper covers?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

had the same problem on my 04 driver side. Ended up taking off the door panel and metal plate to get acces to the window motor spayed it with sum WD40 and manualy turned it a few times with sum pliers and window is running good as new but be carefuly not to mess up the regulator cus if those wires get messed up your gonna have to buy the whole piece over
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

EBAY is a great source for cheaper and reliable parts!!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM

I had the same problem about 2-3 weeks ago window would stop on the track and when i pushed it down a little it would roll up again.

Took it to my cousins shop took the door panel off looked at the motor, my motor had a short so every time I would push the window down it would roll the motor on the track and give it a little juice so my cousin hit the motor a few times with a steel hammer works great now, although i already paid for the part so im going to throw in a new motor and regulator but its been 2-3 weeks so far no problems at all

Hope this helps