5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transverse(passenger side) Motor mount replacement

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

Transverse(passenger side) Motor mount replacement

im getting ready to do all 3 motor mounts this week.I got a set off of amazon for the manual trans and i am going to press in the ES bushings i just have one question will the ES bushing fit in the pass side motor mount i have done some searching but havnt seen where anyone has done this swap.btw the auto and manual mounts look just about the same for the mount im questioning.i plan on gutting the replacement mounts today to prepair them for the ES inserts which will be here later this week.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by cjandura
im getting ready to do all 3 motor mounts this week.I got a set off of amazon for the manual trans and i am going to press in the ES bushings i just have one question will the ES bushing fit in the pass side motor mount i have done some searching but havnt seen where anyone has done this swap.btw the auto and manual mounts look just about the same for the mount im questioning.i plan on gutting the replacement mounts today to prepair them for the ES inserts which will be here later this week.
Aren't there 4 of them? Front and rear (radiator and firewall) and the 2 "side" mounts (passenger & driver)?

I don't think ES makes the passenger and driver side bushings, only the torque mounts which are for lack of a better term, front and rear?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

i was thinking the Drivers side one was the transmission mount?i hav'nt even looked in that are to see what it looks like.i was just noticing on the 3 mounts i recieved that the rad and firewall side are the same mount and the passenger side one has a different mount style but the actual rubber and such looks exactly the same as the other two mounts thats why i was thinking that i could order another set of ES mounts and maby it would fit in that passenger mount.i dont really want to try it unless i know for sure.btw the aftermarket mounts i got had no fluid in them straight rubber took me 5 min to gut them with a sawzall and bosch metal torch blade i just hope the press in goes smooth i only have a 2 ton arbor press from harbour fraight.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

Although the passenger side bushing might look the same, it may not be. I don't recall anyone using the ES insert for the pass side.

Also, just for verification, your car is 6MT, correct?

Reason I ask is because the 2 manual (Front and rear) inserts from ES will only fit inside the manual mounts. if you do not have a manual, you need to swap the front mount (rad side) for a manual one, unless you have an insert "spacer" sleeve made.

If you're manual, then you're fine, no mount swapping nor sleeving needed.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

its an automatic but i purchased the manual mounts to replace them.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

its an automatic but i purchased the manual mounts to replace them.
The actual metal mount or the insert? If you mean the actual metal mount, you only need to replace the front one, so you only need 1 mount.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
The actual metal mount or the insert? If you mean the actual metal mount, you only need to replace the front one, so you only need 1 mount.
the complete mounts(metal) plus i ordered the ES inserts separate.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Looks as if you've got it covered. The only item I'm not sure about is that passenger side mount being able to accommodate the ES bushing.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM

i was thinking the Drivers side one was the transmission mount?i hav'nt even looked in that are to see what it looks like.i was just noticing on the 3 mounts i recieved that the rad and firewall side are the same mount and the passenger side one has a different mount style but the actual rubber and such looks exactly the same as the other two mounts thats why i was thinking that i could order another set of ES mounts and maby it would fit in that passenger mount.
You are correct, the driver's side mount is bolted to the transmission, but I would probably replace both sides together. The transmission + engine are bolted together, and the mounts serve the same purpose, regardless of what they are bolted to. I also replaced the subframe bushings when I did the lower mounts, as you have to drop the subframe, anyway.

btw the aftermarket mounts i got had no fluid in them straight rubber took me 5 min to gut them with a sawzall and bosch metal torch blade i just hope the press in goes smooth i only have a 2 ton arbor press from harbour fraight.
When I had a machine shop press my old lower bushing out at 102k miles, he told me it did not even budge on the 15-ton press (he had to use the 25-ton press). But pressing the new ones going in was a different story - you should be okay.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 AM

the complete mounts(metal) plus i ordered the ES inserts separate.
Are you in a position where you could order the ES inserts and try them on the passenger side mount?

If so, a little trial and error may benefit the community! I would do this if I knew it works (but I don't have funds to experiment...)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Im considering doing the right side mount now so i ordered all the ES bushings and some other es things.but so im not stuck out in the wind does anyone know if the mounts from a 95 to 00 with a manual trans work in the 03?i found the mount cheap and if there is anyone who knows these years are interchangable ill pick them up also so i can hack the right side and try to get the ES mount in there.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
dot dot dot ...

I know the front and rear mounts from 95-03 fit.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

At 68$ for a full set i think im going to order them just to try the side mount with a ES insert wont hurt if it dont fit.if it doesnt ill have a extra set of es mounts i can use in my 97 maxima.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

At 68$ for a full set i think im going to order them just to try the side mount with a ES insert wont hurt if it dont fit.if it doesnt ill have a extra set of es mounts i can use in my 97 maxima.
Question. Where did you find the bushings for $68?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nelledge
Question. Where did you find the bushings for $68?
Amazon.com there from some brand RMC i searched for Maxima Engine Mounts.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 PM

My 2000 SE needed both the front and rear lower mounts to be swapped for manual mounts to accommodate the ES inserts. As my 2000 SE had 2 electronic automatic mounts. The passenger and driver side mount diameters are too small. The ES mounts will not fit inside the side mounts, and the cylinder designed inserts are too "tall".

Trust me I've measured EVERYTHING...Check my link above my sig for my lastest project.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 00Lightsout
My 2000 SE needed both the front and rear lower mounts to be swapped for manual mounts to accommodate the ES inserts. As my 2000 SE had 2 electronic automatic mounts. The passenger and driver side mount diameters are too small. The ES mounts will not fit inside the side mounts, and the cylinder designed inserts are too "tall".

Trust me I've measured EVERYTHING...Check my link above my sig for my lastest project.
Ahh, glad you chimed in, thanks for that.

Another item to try is the 3M filler "stuff". Plenty of threads on that since I don't feel like searching for it.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Amazon.com there from some brand RMC i searched for Maxima Engine Mounts.
Ah. I see. I thought you were saying the set of ES bushings were $68. Proceed.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Fill the right and left mounts with 3M Windowweld, cut the ES bushing in half not need to press in!!!!

Originally Posted by tcb_02_max
You are correct, the driver's side mount is bolted to the transmission, but I would probably replace both sides together. The transmission + engine are bolted together, and the mounts serve the same purpose, regardless of what they are bolted to. I also replaced the subframe bushings when I did the lower mounts, as you have to drop the subframe, anyway.

When I had a machine shop press my old lower bushing out at 102k miles, he told me it did not even budge on the 15-ton press (he had to use the 25-ton press). But pressing the new ones going in was a different story - you should be okay.
No need to press these bushing in guys!!!!! Cut them in half and install with ease!!!!
JunkYard 2 for $25.....

+1
Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Ahh, glad you chimed in, thanks for that.

Another item to try is the 3M filler "stuff". Plenty of threads on that since I don't feel like searching for it.
seen it, and it looks too sloppy to go under any Maxima hood, IMO! I decided to fabricate my own passenger and driver side mounts with poly bushings gonna be sweet!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

This guy ...

I was speaking of the many cheapskates on here... not you.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Banned

00Lightsout you say the side mounts are smaller in diameter?I took the other 2 mounts over to be powder coated so i wont be able to match them up till wensday.i was thinking that if the side mount had a smaller ID that i could put the ES bushing in a lathe and reduce it down to press fit size i havent recieved the ES inserts yet they should be here today sometime.Thanks for all the good input from the both of you im really trying to get rid of the damn clunking so i ordered enuff ES and MOOG parts to replace everything in the front except the balljoints so i know i got some work to do especially on them comtrol arm bushings because those bolts just laughed at me when i looked at them the other day to see how bad they were rusted.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

seen it, and it looks too sloppy to go under any Maxima hood, IMO! I decided to fabricate my own passenger and driver side mounts with poly bushings gonna be sweet!
Must not know what they are doing then. Mine are smooth as butter. Have to use a putty knife to smooth it out and/or a good taping to keep it smooth. I bought some cheap plastic knifes to use. Worked perfectly.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM

00Lightsout you say the side mounts are smaller in diameter?I took the other 2 mounts over to be powder coated so i wont be able to match them up till wensday.i was thinking that if the side mount had a smaller ID that i could put the ES bushing in a lathe and reduce it down to press fit size i havent recieved the ES inserts yet they should be here today sometime.Thanks for all the good input from the both of you im really trying to get rid of the damn clunking so i ordered enuff ES and MOOG parts to replace everything in the front except the balljoints so i know i got some work to do especially on them comtrol arm bushings because those bolts just laughed at me when i looked at them the other day to see how bad they were rusted.
definitely doable. not only will the diameter need to be less, the "width" of he mount will need to be chopped I THINK ! the bolt for the side mounts is narrower also, you will need to sleeve the sleeve of the ES mount to the correct diameter to reduce bolt "slop".

The Trans mount Diameter is 3.15"
the lower manual mount diameter is 3.5"
.35" will need to be lathed off.

the sleeve of the trans mount is 3"
the sleeve of the lower auto & manual mounts are 3.5"
.5" will need to be cut from the "cone" side of the ES mount!

Last edited by 00Lightsout; 06-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Must not know what they are doing then. Mine are smooth as butter. Have to use a putty knife to smooth it out and/or a good taping to keep it smooth. I bought some cheap plastic knifes to use. Worked perfectly.
probably exactly the case...I'm sure that yours look stellar feel free to share with pix
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM

any write-up or threads about replacing the passenger side mount..? had some idea about the other three..